Official Isaac Bonga Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Lebron and Bonga are gonna do great things together. This must be the two superstar plan the FO was talking about...

I agree with the Bonga part but who is this Lebron dude?
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

This guy can play. I dunno about his age but our front office invested 4 years with him and I think it will pay dividend. At worst, I think he’s a rotation player. The way I see it is it’s a low risk but a high reward if he pans out.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

I'm cautiously optimistic lol. I definitely feel better about him now then in the summer league, where he looked awful.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

Something to note on how Bonga is viewed; on backstage Lakers Pelinka talking about Summer League tells Magic: “Put the ball in Bonga’s hands and surround him with shooters...”
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Something to note on how Bonga is viewed; on backstage Lakers Pelinka talking about Summer League tells Magic: “Put the ball in Bonga’s hands and surround him with shooters...”

PlantedTanks wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Lebron and Bonga are gonna do great things together. This must be the two superstar plan the FO was talking about...

What's happening here?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

PlantedTanks wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

What's happening here?

#Bongahype
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

That’s weird because we saw a lot of Bonga just playing off the ball in SL. Most of the time just being a ghost out there.

Would have liked to see him play PG there.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

PlantedTanks wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

What's happening here?

#BongaComedyHour
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

That’s weird because we saw a lot of Bonga just playing off the ball in SL. Most of the time just being a ghost out there.

I think in SL they tried to use him as PG but saw that he was overwhelmed and so they went away from that.

Seems now that he gained some confidence back in preseason, they put the ball in his hands again.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Megaton wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I think in SL they tried to use him as PG but saw that he was overwhelmed and so they went away from that.

Seems now that he gained some confidence back in preseason, they put the ball in his hands again.

I believe he had arrived in the US just before the start of SL so he did not have the opportunity to practice with the team. Under these circumstance it was better he played off ball to get his feet wet.
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Think Bonga is will be in the G-League with the South Bay Lakers for most of the season, doubt he plays in the NBA unless injuries happen. Even next season he might not be ready then.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

If he keeps improving at the rate he has since summer league he'll be MVP in a few years.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Megaton wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I believe he had arrived in the US just before the start of SL so he did not have the opportunity to practice with the team. Under these circumstance it was better he played off ball to get his feet wet.

He signed with the Lakers on July 6th, just before their 1st SL game against Philly. He did not get to practice with the SL squad at all before that
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
If he keeps improving at the rate he has since summer league he'll be MVP in a few years.

the German freak?
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject:

- We have among the very best scouting departments in the league.
- After having seen Bonga play in Europe, they invited him to a very early workout, May iirc.
- Shortly after that workout they guaranteed him they would draft and shut him down.
- They traded a valuable future 2nd round pick to secure a pick to draft him this year.
- After drafting him, they signed him to a 3-year deal and brought him over from Germany, despite his being the youngest player in the league.
- During Summer League, Coach Simon was quoted as saying he had to play Bonga if he wanted to keep his job (tongue in cheek of course).
- In the final preseason game Luke played him 32 minutes during which he set up other guys for scores, drove to the basket and had several exceptional defensive sequences.

Its tough to say how he's going to turn out. But that's a hell of a back story.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
- After having seen Bonga play in Europe, they invited him to a very early workout, May iirc.
- Shortly after that workout they guaranteed him they would draft and shut him down.
- They traded a valuable future 2nd round pick to secure a pick to draft him this year.
- After drafting him, they signed him to a 3-year deal and brought him over from Germany, despite his being the youngest player in the league.
- During Summer League, Coach Simon was quoted as saying he had to play Bonga if he wanted to keep his job (tongue in cheek of course).
- In the final preseason game Luke played him 32 minutes during which he set up other guys for scores, drove to the basket and had several exceptional defensive sequences.

Sounds like alot of prospects found overseas.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
I’m not ready to call him a steal yet but I’m starting to see what Jesse and Rob saw in him. I still think he’s a couple of years away from being a serviceable rotational player but at least it’s clearer now that this kid’s got some talent

I agree 100%
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

The coast to coast dunk was awesome to see
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

PlantedTanks wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

What's happening here?

Been smoking too much from the Bonga.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
I’m not ready to call him a steal yet but I’m starting to see what Jesse and Rob saw in him. I still think he’s a couple of years away from being a serviceable rotational player but at least it’s clearer now that this kid’s got some talent

I agree 100%

The first time fans see him make 2 outside shots in a row, they're going to go crazy.
If he gets to practice with the Lakers all season, he will learn a lot of moves, nuances, and techniques from his teammates, young and old.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Andre2K wrote:

I agree 100%

The first time fans see him make 2 outside shots in a row, they're going to go crazy.
If he gets to practice with the Lakers all season, he will learn a lot of moves, nuances, and techniques from his teammates, young and old.

Even in South Bay he will have Coby Karl to learn from.

Bonga is in the perfect environment for his development this year.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
The next Shaun Livingston?

Yup that was my comp

I see it.

Young Shaun or old? Pre knee injury Livingston was a very special player.

Def Warriors Livingston

No.Warriors Livingston has bulked up and plays more as a SF than G. Rarely shoots from 3 and is more of a 15 ft and in player offensively. He is unable to guard either PG or SG.

Newsflash, Bonga’s jumper is super broken, despite FT %. And he will have great versatility positionally on D. They may be different in whatever way, but idk if you’ll find a closer comparison.

His jumper is not broken. I had this same convo with Mike and I showed him the videos from this summer. His form has been modified. He just needs to get game action to be consistent with it. Similar to BI's situation.

Btw from Mini Mambs comment he is projecting for the future. He is still 18. You don't feel he will improve as a shooter?

idk if he will improve but to assume he improved his jumper to a solid degree, in one summer here is awfully optimistic. Guys work on their shots all summer, have the forms looking better, get in a game, and still can't be average shooters. for any bad shooter, this is the case. I don't buy a guy has fixed his jumper unless it looks pristine form wise in practice, and he hits 10 in a row in a workout vid...I'd love to see Bonga's jumper looking better in a practice video if you can link it. Cuz it still looks ugly in games. It looked high school-ish from his overseas videos -- to assume it's solid now after a few months is unrealistic.His jumper is broke and has a ways to go.
Can it get there - yea. But I'd also like if the Lakers could hire a shooting coach. I don't think their shooting development has had more good cases than bad........

No I don't expect his jumper to be fixed in 1 summer same as BI has not become totally consistent with his in 2 summers and 1 season (btw BI is still inconsistent in his set position before his arms extend forward). However he has made changes but it will take time to develop.

The Gleauge will be great for his development. He should see extensive game action with little pressure to perform.

Here is a video from last month. Totally different than his Jr days in Germany.

Here is one from summer playing horse with I believe one of his trainers.

Hate to break it to you, but that is not a trainer. That's a dude from a German comedy tv show. Really went to the wire there, but i'm glad Bonga was able to beat him in HORSE.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject:

PG skills like Batum, but I think he will grow bigger than Nic Batum
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject:

He'll need to not be afraid to take that jumper if he's gonna be the G-League MVP this year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 33 of 53
Jump to: