Official Isaac Bonga Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

Anyone else get Odom vibes from this kid?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Odom, Kyle Anderson, Boris Diaw
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
The next Shaun Livingston?

Yup that was my comp

I see it.

Young Shaun or old? Pre knee injury Livingston was a very special player.

Def Warriors Livingston

No.Warriors Livingston has bulked up and plays more as a SF than G. Rarely shoots from 3 and is more of a 15 ft and in player offensively. He is unable to guard either PG or SG.

Newsflash, Bonga’s jumper is super broken, despite FT %. And he will have great versatility positionally on D. They may be different in whatever way, but idk if you’ll find a closer comparison.

His jumper is not broken. I had this same convo with Mike and I showed him the videos from this summer. His form has been modified. He just needs to get game action to be consistent with it. Similar to BI's situation.

Btw from Mini Mambs comment he is projecting for the future. He is still 18. You don't feel he will improve as a shooter?

idk if he will improve but to assume he improved his jumper to a solid degree, in one summer here is awfully optimistic. Guys work on their shots all summer, have the forms looking better, get in a game, and still can't be average shooters. for any bad shooter, this is the case. I don't buy a guy has fixed his jumper unless it looks pristine form wise in practice, and he hits 10 in a row in a workout vid...I'd love to see Bonga's jumper looking better in a practice video if you can link it. Cuz it still looks ugly in games. It looked high school-ish from his overseas videos -- to assume it's solid now after a few months is unrealistic.His jumper is broke and has a ways to go.
Can it get there - yea. But I'd also like if the Lakers could hire a shooting coach. I don't think their shooting development has had more good cases than bad........

No I don't expect his jumper to be fixed in 1 summer same as BI has not become totally consistent with his in 2 summers and 1 season (btw BI is still inconsistent in his set position before his arms extend forward). However he has made changes but it will take time to develop.

The Gleauge will be great for his development. He should see extensive game action with little pressure to perform.

Here is a video from last month. Totally different than his Jr days in Germany.

Here is one from summer playing horse with I believe one of his trainers.

Hate to break it to you, but that is not a trainer. That's a dude from a German comedy tv show. Really went to the wire there, but i'm glad Bonga was able to beat him in HORSE.

Why do they play HORSE in Germany. Shouldn't it be a German word?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

Yup that was my comp

I see it.

Def Warriors Livingston

No.Warriors Livingston has bulked up and plays more as a SF than G. Rarely shoots from 3 and is more of a 15 ft and in player offensively. He is unable to guard either PG or SG.

Newsflash, Bonga’s jumper is super broken, despite FT %. And he will have great versatility positionally on D. They may be different in whatever way, but idk if you’ll find a closer comparison.

His jumper is not broken. I had this same convo with Mike and I showed him the videos from this summer. His form has been modified. He just needs to get game action to be consistent with it. Similar to BI's situation.

Btw from Mini Mambs comment he is projecting for the future. He is still 18. You don't feel he will improve as a shooter?

idk if he will improve but to assume he improved his jumper to a solid degree, in one summer here is awfully optimistic. Guys work on their shots all summer, have the forms looking better, get in a game, and still can't be average shooters. for any bad shooter, this is the case. I don't buy a guy has fixed his jumper unless it looks pristine form wise in practice, and he hits 10 in a row in a workout vid...I'd love to see Bonga's jumper looking better in a practice video if you can link it. Cuz it still looks ugly in games. It looked high school-ish from his overseas videos -- to assume it's solid now after a few months is unrealistic.His jumper is broke and has a ways to go.
Can it get there - yea. But I'd also like if the Lakers could hire a shooting coach. I don't think their shooting development has had more good cases than bad........

No I don't expect his jumper to be fixed in 1 summer same as BI has not become totally consistent with his in 2 summers and 1 season (btw BI is still inconsistent in his set position before his arms extend forward). However he has made changes but it will take time to develop.

The Gleauge will be great for his development. He should see extensive game action with little pressure to perform.

Hate to break it to you, but that is not a trainer. That's a dude from a German comedy tv show. Really went to the wire there, but i'm glad Bonga was able to beat him in HORSE.

There is, but einenschussmitdembasketballmachenbisjemandverfehlt is a bit of a mouthful.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

Yup that was my comp

I see it.

Def Warriors Livingston

There is, but einenschussmitdembasketballmachenbisjemandverfehlt is a bit of a mouthful.

or Pferd
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

The old English hors was derived from the old Norse ross and similar to the old German hros. So there's that...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Odom had more shake and explosion. I lean more toward the Diaw comparisons.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

Yup that was my comp

I see it.

Def Warriors Livingston

Come on I took an educated guess that was a trainer.. You have to admit if he is a comedian he is pretty good at basketball.

Don't care he beat him at HORSE but I am glad he put up

12 points on 4-5 shooting (4-4 from the line) to go with 9 boards, 5 assists, 1 steal, 4 turnovers and 3 fouls in 32 minutes at a +15

against GSW.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I am of the opinion players like Anderson and Diaw are point forward types.

Long term Bonga may be able to remain at PG due to body type.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

Normally with really young players, they have a hard time not getting stripped by stronger NBA competition, and they are either a step slow or too week defensively. Somehow with Bonga, neither of those issues have emerged. He takes really good care of the ball (save the travelling calls as he starts his move) and defensively, I feel like teams are respecting him, not seeing him as a point to attack.

That's uncommon at 18 years of age.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Definitely!
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Definitely!

He's going to grow another 3" and go full Giannis! (j/k). The leaps and bounds he's shown since summer league tell me we won't know what direction the final product will take on for at least a year.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Normally with really young players, they have a hard time not getting stripped by stronger NBA competition, and they are either a step slow or too week defensively. Somehow with Bonga, neither of those issues have emerged. He takes really good care of the ball (save the travelling calls as he starts his move) and defensively, I feel like teams are respecting him, not seeing him as a point to attack.

That's uncommon at 18 years of age.

It appears the first step travel was not called in Europe. Even his teammates did this move. Seems he has adjusted accordingly.

He has primarily played PG his entire Jr national days and has competed at the highest level in this regard. What stands out for me is he has a natural handle and he does not lose speed with the ball.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Should we just go ahead an erect a statue of BonGoat now?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

I for one am disappointed in the relatively grounded comparisons we've been getting for Bonga. Where are the "Kobe/Magic hybrid" invocations of yore?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I for one am disappointed in the relatively grounded comparisons we've been getting for Bonga. Where are the "Kobe/Magic hybrid" invocations of yore?

Lebron’s dream finally came to fruition. To play along side with his son, LeBonga James.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

He's a bigger Charlie Scott/Walter Davis, for the old guys here.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Same. Diaw never really showed his elite athleticism from his Pre-Draft workouts at the NBA level, oddly enough. Must have been the coffee.

Shaun Livingston had more twitch and better breakdown ability with his handle, but any combination of Livingston/Diaw/Anderson is right in line.

He's so raw with so many skills, but the recognition time from sight to action is pretty unreal.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Weren't they shooters?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

There are too many people eating crow from their comments that Bonga was a bust (starting around page 10 of this thread) to engage in hyperbole. Bonga could still be a bust; it was just too early to call it.

tbh, the criticism was justified, don't you think? Dude may have landed from Germany to Las Vegas, but roughly 5 travels in what, 30 minutes of play?

Like I say with every draft, you can never measure the rate of improvement of a player. If you could, you could rank that from #1 to #60 and have successful drafts every year.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Weren't they shooters?

Walter Davis, yes. Charlie Scott, the crossover king.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Same. Diaw never really showed his elite athleticism from his Pre-Draft workouts at the NBA level, oddly enough. Must have been the coffee.

Shaun Livingston had more twitch and better breakdown ability with his handle, but any combination of Livingston/Diaw/Anderson is right in line.

He's so raw with so many skills, but the recognition time from sight to action is pretty unreal.

This!!! Flashed in his Jr National play.

I will give you this saw this in Melton also.

Last edited by PlantedTanks on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

There are too many people eating crow from their comments that Bonga was a bust (starting around page 10 of this thread) to engage in hyperbole. Bonga could still be a bust; it was just too early to call it.

tbh, the criticism was justified, don't you think? Dude may have landed from Germany to Las Vegas, but roughly 5 travels in what, 30 minutes of play?

Like I say with every draft, you can never measure the rate of improvement of a player. If you could, you could rank that from #1 to #60 and have successful drafts every year.

Correct. Preseason Bonga is a totally different player than Summer League Bonga. We saw flashes in SL but the cringe worthy moments would make anyone question draft pick.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

To a point yes but some of the criticism was overboard.

Last edited by PlantedTanks on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Weren't they shooters?

Walter Davis, yes. Charlie Scott, the crossover king.

Lanky guys who could handle, run, pass, go to the hole, etc. Davis had a sweet, smooth shot, but (when younger) had the full package and when guys closed out, used it to pump fake and blow by for the layup or dish.

(NSF Musberger haters)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 34 of 53
Jump to: