Official Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk Thread (Traded to Michigan)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 77, 78, 79  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I know KCP isn't too popular right now. But I imagine he's our best perimeter defender outside of Lebron.
But I'm a big fan of Svi. There are enough minutes for both players.

Svi may be a long term piece. But I don’t see the minutes for him this year unless we move lance.

He knocks down that 3 Ball and he'll earn some burn...at least 8 to 10 per.

#BannersOverBillboards
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

If Svi is making shots in games, he has to play. He's our best shooter EASILY. It's not even close. And he can do other things. What a steal by the front office.

WASABI!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
If Svi is making shots in games, he has to play. He's our best shooter EASILY. It's not even close. And he can do other things. What a steal by the front office.

WASABI!

Yeah, it's bananas how good the FO has been with these low picks. Our 2nd rounders are effectively first rounders. Our first rounders are turning into lottery-caliber players.
Peppe89
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject:

I was on the game yesterday and Mykhailiuk did a great job.

They picked him after Bonga so i cant say that our front office is great.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

WASABI!

Yeah, it's bananas how good the FO has been with these low picks. Our 2nd rounders are effectively first rounders. Our first rounders are turning into lottery-caliber players.

This!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject:

Peppe89 wrote:

I agree that that was stupid. But I also wonder about Bonga’s athletic upside because he’s probably never had great training
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject:

KCP is just a 1 year deal, so unless he totally blows up, he is gone anyway. Wasabi is going to be great for us down the line, the Lakers have been really smart, getting some of these older players, with good fundamentals, and ability to shoot well from the perimeter.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

I know it's a Lakers fandom thing but his game looks like Klay, offensively at least

And how good was Bonga in Europe that our FO picked him before this guy?
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Bonga is likely the worst pick the Lakers have made in a long time.
I can only hope he proves me wrong.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject:

We all know he can shoot,

But I am concerned with his defense, his rebounding, his steals and assists, with his "short arms"...

Comments/thoughts?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
governator wrote:

Bonga is likely the worst pick the Lakers have made in a long time.
I can only hope he proves me wrong.

They must've seen something. Maybe Magic sees a young Magic?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

But I am concerned with his defense, his rebounding, his steals and assists, with his "short arms"...

Comments/thoughts?

From SL and clips of this FIBA, he rebounds and defense pretty well
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
I know it's a Lakers fandom thing but his game looks like Klay, offensively at least

Bonga in a Jr. league averaging 10ppg idk how many assists
Looking at clips, pretty obvious that if he was an American Highschooler and HS could go to pro - he would not have been drafted.
He needs 3-4 years
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
governator wrote:

Looking at clips, pretty obvious that if he was an American Highschooler and HS could go to pro - he would not have been drafted.
He needs 3-4 years

What did the scouting office see in him that we are missing? Laker scouts have been pretty good. It is hard to believe that they would miss that badly; drafting, however, is a gamble and sometimes one loses.

--Anonymous
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
governator wrote:

He needs 3-4 years

What did the scouting office see in him that we are missing? Laker scouts have been pretty good. It is hard to believe that they would miss that badly; drafting, however, is a gamble and sometimes one loses.

He was going to get drafted this year by someone..I think mocks had him in that range.. They probably see a young kid that they can mold athletically..6’9 with PG feel..
It’s crazy that they passed on Melton. Really think they factor in positional fit. You can never have too many 6’9 versatile athletes though, and that’s what they think Bonga will become
Peppe89
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Comments/thoughts?

His defense was perfect vs Spain. Yes, i saw it alive. He can steal a lot cause he has fast hands. And his defense 1vs1 was also awessome.

I saw only 2 minuses:
he wasnt a great rebounder
he had some problems with 2 points shots under the hoop when he tried to play solo
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

Peppe89 wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Comments/thoughts?

His defense was perfect vs Spain. Yes, i saw it alive. He can steal a lot cause he has fast hands. And his defense 1vs1 was also awessome.

I saw only 2 minuses:
he had some problems with 2 points shots under the hoop when he tried to play solo

Being able to guard an undermanned Spain team is light years from the NBA. I highly doubt he’ll be an average defender next year but hopefully he proves me wrong.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

This is not the NBA but I hope Svi's stellar play continues on into his rookie season. He is looking good so far.

Svi Mykhailiuk Stars for Ukraine in Upset Over Spain

Quote:
The rookie Laker was brilliant in Ukraine’s stunning 76-65 victory over previously unbeaten Spain, racking up 22 points, five 3-pointers, five steals and three assists to score a crucial win in qualification for the 2019 FIBA World Cup.

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/180914-svi-mykhailiuk-stars-ukraine-upset-over-spain
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Peppe89 wrote:

I agree that that was stupid. But I also wonder about Bonga’s athletic upside because he’s probably never had great training

I wonder how much of it was them knowing that Bonga might have been on another team's radar and Svi maybe wasn't?

Equally possible they valued Bonga over Svi. Or maybe it's a bit of both.

Still, I don't know how Peppe89 is gonna say that one mistake means the FO isn't great at drafting.
Peppe89
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Peppe89 wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Comments/thoughts?

I saw only 2 minuses:

Being able to guard an undermanned Spain team is light years from the NBA. I highly doubt he’ll be an average defender next year but hopefully he proves me wrong.

Bro Doncic played 2 seasons in Euroleague vs those guys like National team Spain and was the lottery pick this year. He had only 7.8 PPG last season, 36,3% 3pt shot.
Mykhailuk got 22 points yesterday so we can see the little difference.

And he was much much better yesterday then our №5 draft pick of 2013 and former play of Phoenix Suns Alex Len.

tox, sorry that wasnt the right word at all cause i have poor english.
I wanted to say that our scouts are not the best in the league as everybody says right here. I think if GSW had 1 more pick in early second round - they could pick Svi. Cause he was great in their training camp before draft day during to different scout reports.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Jesse Buss was frank that they didn't draft Bonga with the expectation that he'd come in and contribute immediately like we've been accustomed to the last several years. They drafted him knowing that he'd be a project. I'm fine with it. Low risk, high reward. If it doesn't work out it won't be the worst thing ever. But if he's ready in a few years they've got a young backup PG with crazy length, court vision, and defensive potential.

Last edited by Judah on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Joey Buss was frank that they didn't draft Bonga with the expectation that he'd come in and contribute immediately like we've been accustomed to the last several years. They drafted him knowing that he'd be a project. I'm fine with it. Low risk, high reward. If it doesn't work out it won't be the worst thing ever. But if he's ready in a few years they've got a young backup PG with crazy length, court vision, and defensive potential.
To me, this is the right take on the situation. If it works out, the Lakers have a steal. If it doesn't work out, Bonga will be released quickly. Considering that the draft picks were #25, #39, and #47, if the Lakers got one really good role player out of that draft then draft was successful. If they get two, the draft was excellent. If any become more than role players, the draft was extraordinary.

--Anonymous
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Imagine this guy on the floor with playmakers like LeBron, Lonzo, Rondo He could prove too good to not be in the rotation, or at least I’m hoping.

If not, get a lot of time with SBL and be ready to form a great SG tandem with Hart next year.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Judah wrote:
Joey Buss was frank that they didn't draft Bonga with the expectation that he'd come in and contribute immediately like we've been accustomed to the last several years. They drafted him knowing that he'd be a project. I'm fine with it. Low risk, high reward. If it doesn't work out it won't be the worst thing ever. But if he's ready in a few years they've got a young backup PG with crazy length, court vision, and defensive potential.
To me, this is the right take on the situation. If it works out, the Lakers have a steal. If it doesn't work out, Bonga will be released quickly. Considering that the draft picks were #25, #39, and #47, if the Lakers got one really good role player out of that draft then draft was successful. If they get two, the draft was excellent. If any become more than role players, the draft was extraordinary.

This is easy for me to say because I wanted Melton at 25, but, yeah, that's the player I wish we would have taken once he slipped, unless there are real medical concerns on him to where teams just don't think he can last and have a long career. But to me, his upside is just as much as Bonga's perceived upside, he apparently shot well in workouts, and I just think that the kid looked like he had obvious tools the last time he played, and scouts were saying that he looked primed for a big sophomore season at USC before all the crap hit. Watching him look great at Summer League and watching Bonga literally look like the least-ready pro player I've ever seen didn't help, either.

Still, you have to give the FO the benefit of the doubt, at this point. If they felt compelled to roll the dice, I can understand it, given that they had 3 picks. And look like they uncovered a real gem with the last of those 3 picks.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I know KCP isn't too popular right now. But I imagine he's our best perimeter defender outside of Lebron.
But I'm a big fan of Svi. There are enough minutes for both players.

Svi may be a long term piece. But I don’t see the minutes for him this year unless we move lance.

He knocks down that 3 Ball and he'll earn some burn...at least 8 to 10 per.

It's really hard to consistently get 8-10 min a game. That's like what, coming in for 4 minutes in the 2nd quarter and then 4 minutes in the 3rd quarter every game?

Once the rotation is set, it's either you're a part of the rotation or you're not. And if you're a part of the rotation, you'll get more than 8-10 minutes.

8-10 minutes sounds like you're not a part of the rotation but you play garbage minutes.

Remember, DNPs don't count against your mpg. For instance, Zubac avg 9.5 min last year, but he had a bunch of DNPs.

I think he'll either play garbage minutes or be a part of the rotation. If he's a part of the rotation, he'll get at least 15 minutes. 7-8 minutes per half.

If he's a part of the rotation, then something went wrong. He won't be a part of the rotation to start the season. Either someone got hurt, someone's not playing well, or we're not playing well as a team, or we're just shooting really bad as a team and we need some three point shooting, or something.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 48 of 79
Jump to: