Official Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk Thread (Traded to Michigan)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 77, 78, 79  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject:

With Svi I think it may be a situational thing. If the team needs a spark and/or some shooting, his number is called. And if he shows that his shooting and smart, controlled play can elevate a unit when he's out there, then he'd have a case for being in the rotation, and it just may happen at that point.

And though Svi appears to have a better chance of making an impact from the start, I could see Wagner getting situational minutes as well if the team needs a spark and Luke isn't happy with a front court player or the overall energy of the team. Phil used Luke that way if he was displeased with the ball movement.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
With Svi I think it may be a situational thing. If the team needs a spark and/or some shooting, his number is called. And if he shows that his shooting and smart, controlled play can elevate a unit when he's out there, then he'd have a case for being in the rotation, and it just may happen at that point.

And though Svi appears to have a better chance of making an impact from the start, I could see Wagner getting situational minutes as well if the team needs a spark and Luke isn't happy with a front court player or the overall energy of the team. Phil used Luke that way if he was displeased with the ball movement.

Yup, something's gotta go wrong for Luke to try out Svi this year. If everything goes right, the team is playing well and winning, Svi will only get garbage minutes this year.

It's like w/ Alabama. I heard last yr, Tui was lighting it up in practice, but they had to stick w/ Hurts the whole yr, even though the offense struggled the whole yr passing. They didn't switch to Tui until they were so desperate in the Championship game. Now, they are off and running w/ Tui.

Tui was probably ready last year. But it took alot to unseat Hurts.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

I agree Svi may struggle to have a consistent role this year which is okay. He is really young and it is a long season. On a good team, which this is, you normally bring the young guys along slowly. There are a bunch of vets that are going to want and expect playing time.

I see Svi being a guy that comes in with a pressure team to help shoot us back into a game. Eventually he will probably force his way into the lineup as his all round game is just so very good. I can see before the trade deadline some of our players being moved which will open us a regular spot in the rotation for Svi providing he deserves it.

We do have to be realistic and change our perspective the playing time these young guys will get now that we are in a win now mode. Luke will be juggling the lineup figuring out the best combinations early in the season with your young core and vets. Svi and Wagner probably won't get much time as they are not core to our immediate performance as a team. That said I think Svi is ready to contribute now and with injuries and such he will eventually get a shot at the rotation.

At some point they will figure out that the best shooter on the team will only be covered 1 on 1 which will give him an open shot much of the time and he will be a very dangerous weapon. It may take so time but this is the future.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

SVi will be on the floor when we go bron ball
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
We do have to be realistic and change our perspective the playing time these young guys will get now that we are in a win now mode. Luke will be juggling the lineup figuring out the best combinations early in the season with your young core and vets. Svi and Wagner probably won't get much time as they are not core to our immediate performance as a team. That said I think Svi is ready to contribute now and with injuries and such he will eventually get a shot at the rotation.

Are the Lakers in a "win now" mode in 2018-19? I definitely believe that they will be there in 2019-20. With five players on one year contracts (KCP, McGee, Stephenson, Beasley and Rondo) and Zu's contract expiring, it seems as though the Lakers are going to need BI, Kuz, Ball, Svi, Wagner, and Hart to have quite a bit of experience before the 2019-20 season starts. It will be interesting to see how Luke manages it.

--Anonymous
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

Are the Lakers in a "win now" mode in 2018-19? I definitely believe that they will be there in 2019-20. With five players on one year contracts (KCP, McGee, Stephenson, Beasley and Rondo) and Zu's contract expiring, it seems as though the Lakers are going to need BI, Kuz, Ball, Svi, Wagner, and Hart to have quite a bit of experience before the 2019-20 season starts. It will be interesting to see how Luke manages it.

I mean, is there any reason to believe they aren't? Why wouldn't they be?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

Yeah, having a HOF great on your team while he is still at a physical freak prime should propel a team to winning status especially with our potential great young core.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I know KCP isn't too popular right now. But I imagine he's our best perimeter defender outside of Lebron.
But I'm a big fan of Svi. There are enough minutes for both players.

Svi may be a long term piece. But I don’t see the minutes for him this year unless we move lance.

He knocks down that 3 Ball and he'll earn some burn...at least 8 to 10 per.

It's really hard to consistently get 8-10 min a game. That's like what, coming in for 4 minutes in the 2nd quarter and then 4 minutes in the 3rd quarter every game?

Once the rotation is set, it's either you're a part of the rotation or you're not. And if you're a part of the rotation, you'll get more than 8-10 minutes.

8-10 minutes sounds like you're not a part of the rotation but you play garbage minutes.

Remember, DNPs don't count against your mpg. For instance, Zubac avg 9.5 min last year, but he had a bunch of DNPs.

I think he'll either play garbage minutes or be a part of the rotation. If he's a part of the rotation, he'll get at least 15 minutes. 7-8 minutes per half.

If he's a part of the rotation, then something went wrong. He won't be a part of the rotation to start the season. Either someone got hurt, someone's not playing well, or we're not playing well as a team, or we're just shooting really bad as a team and we need some three point shooting, or something.

I could see this too definitely.

#BannersOverBillboards
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

Because they are pointing to next season to make a big move, they likely could have done so this past offseason via trades. Everything they have been saying revolves around next offseason. I believe that they are in playoffs now mode, and that is fine. The only problem could be continuity. We will likely lose some players after this season and even if we sign a top FA, it could take a season for that player to get on the same page with Lebron and whoever remains from our roster. Keep in mind that FA will likely be an alpha and used to being the man (based on names mentioned). By then Lebron will be 36.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

Why? Magic and Pelika are not acting like they are in a "win now" mode.

For those of us who are "mature" enough to remember, former LA Rams coach George Allen was the expert of the "win now" philosophy. He traded draft choices and young players for the veterans that he wanted on his team. He wanted to win and he didn't want rookies and young players to screw it up. The Lakers trade for Nash and Howard were "win now" types of trades that hobbled the team years later as the front office hoped to bring a championship then. That is what a true "win now" philosophy looks like.

If the Lakers were truly in a "win now" situation, they would have traded for Kawhi last summer. The "win now" mode looks like what Cleveland did these past few years in which they have traded away valuable young talent (for example, Kyrie Irving--I bet they wish that they had that trade to do over again) looking to bring championships immediately. That is not what the Lakers are doing. To me, the Lakers are still in a "semi-development" mode that will likely transition to "win now" very soon (2019-20).

--Anonymous
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

For those of us who are "mature" enough to remember, former LA Rams coach George Allen was the expert of the "win now" philosophy. He traded draft choices and young players for the veterans that he wanted on his team. He wanted to win and he didn't want rookies and young players to screw it up. The Lakers trade for Nash and Howard were "win now" types of trades that hobbled the team years later as the front office hoped to bring a championship then. That is what a true "win now" philosophy looks like.

If the Lakers were truly in a "win now" situation, they would have traded for Kawhi last summer. The "win now" mode looks like what Cleveland did these past few years in which they have traded away valuable young talent (for example, Kyrie Irving--I bet they wish that they had that trade to do over again) looking to bring championships immediately. That is not what the Lakers are doing. To me, the Lakers are still in a "semi-development" mode that will likely transition to "win now" very soon (2019-20).

FWIW

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.silverscreenandroll.com/platform/amp/2018/9/9/17835268/la-lakers-nba-championship-rob-pelinka-luke-walton-lebron-james

Clearly the Lakers and the FO are in win now mode and Pelinka if I recall when he went on ESPN he suggested that if a trade opportunity arises they will look into it during the season to boost there title chances.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

Because they are pointing to next season to make a big move, they likely could have done so this past offseason via trades. Everything they have been saying revolves around next offseason. I believe that they are in playoffs now mode, and that is fine.

Since George elected to stay in OKC and Boogie's Achillies was torn to pieces, the only path to a second max player this offseason would've been via trade, and that would've required surrendering some of the young core. But they've been crystal clear that their plan is to have a sustainable run of contention by keeping the young core intact and adding stars. So no, the fact that they didn't diverge from that plan for a brief, 2-3 year window doesn't mean they aren't aiming for a championship this year. They've been woofing at GS all summer through the media. That's too much boldness for a team that merely wants to make it to the playoffs.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

Counterpoint: the 1999-2014 Spurs. A team can prioritize "win now" without sacrificing it's future for short-term gains.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

So they've been unashamedly open that they constructed this year's team with the expressed purpose of beating the reigning back to back champions, but they aren't trying to win it all? You don't try to knock the king off of his own throne unless you want to sit on it yourself.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

FWIW

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.silverscreenandroll.com/platform/amp/2018/9/9/17835268/la-lakers-nba-championship-rob-pelinka-luke-walton-lebron-james

Clearly the Lakers and the FO are in win now mode and Pelinka if I recall when he went on ESPN he suggested that if a trade opportunity arises they will look into it during the season to boost there title chances.

Kupchak said something similar back in 2014; it is what is required to sell seats. Link.

--Anonymous
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

Counterpoint: the 1999-2014 Spurs. A team can prioritize "win now" without sacrificing it's future for short-term gains.

Good point. I had to think about a response.

I would argue that San Antonio never embraced a true "win now" philosophy. They didn't trade away young players and draft choices looking for the immediate fix. They made fabulous long-term decisions that led to many years of being contenders. I think that is what Magic and Pelinka are trying to emulate more that the old George Allen philosophy.

--Anonymous
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

FWIW

Kupchak said something similar back in 2014; it is what is required to sell seats. Link.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall them saying it last season or the year before. But I've definitely heard them stress "development."
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

FWIW

Sure as a GM you are supposed to have championship as a goal but even the most brain-dead fan knows we had no chance that year, this year is different and even the experts are giving us a chance.

Just look at the quote “other people outside this room might not feel the same” in regards to his championship expectation quote, that is completely different with this team.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

FWIW

Sure as a GM you are supposed to have championship as a goal but even the most brain-dead fan knows we had no chance that year, this year is different and even the experts are giving us a chance.

Just look at the quote “other people outside this room might not feel the same” in regards to his championship expectation quote, that is completely different with this team.

Pelinka gave his quote more context:
Quote:
“Well, I think it depends on how you define success. There is one goal, and we’ve talked about that: It’s to win a championship, and we’re going to play for that this year. Our fans, Jeanie, Magic, Luke and I, that’s our goal, is to win a championship every year.

EVERY YEAR, it is their goal to win a championship. In other words, that was their goal in 2017-18 (this past season) when they didn't even make the playoffs.
Your link also included
Quote:
Could James try and pull off the impossible once again this year with the Lakers? There’s always a chance, but it’s unlikely.

When James nearly upset the Warriors in 2015, he had the help of NBA All-Stars Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. In fact, had Irving and Love been healthy for that Finals series, there’s a decent chance they would have pulled it off.

Unless one of the young guys makes a serious leap or the front office makes a blockbuster trade, the Lakers won’t have a player anywhere near Irving or Love’s caliber next season. The following season might be a different story, though.

In my mind, your linked article somewhat agrees with my point. The title of the article, which is often written by someone other than the author, doesn't represent what the author actually wrote.

--Anonymous
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

So they've been unashamedly open that they constructed this year's team with the expressed purpose of beating the reigning back to back champions, but they aren't trying to win it all? You don't try to knock the king off of his own throne unless you want to sit on it yourself.

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Lakers did not expect to contend for a title during the 2017-2018 season let’s be realistic, we all knew they would be fun and competitive and I can kindly give you the fan discussion from last summer when people were excited about our youth.. however absolutely no talk of championship, only 3% thought about it, even Magic during SL last summer said that this is a process, they had no championship expectation, I have no idea why it’s so hard for people to expect a title from this team this year.. as if we are some bottom franchise like the Clippers or Hawks.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:

I would argue that San Antonio never embraced a true "win now" philosophy. They didn't trade away young players and draft choices looking for the immediate fix. They made fabulous long-term decisions that led to many years of being contenders. I think that is what Magic and Pelinka are trying to emulate more that the old George Allen philosophy.

It'll be intriguing to see if Maginka's "hybrid" approach clashes with GM Lebron who has very much advocated a George Allen "win now" approach over the past few years. Obviously the onus is on the young guys to perform, but will Lebron remain patient with the youths' inevitable growing pains during a first round playoff series and how will the front office respond?
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:

It'll be intriguing to see if Maginka's "hybrid" approach clashes with GM Lebron who has very much advocated a George Allen "win now" approach over the past few years. Obviously the onus is on the young guys to perform, but will Lebron remain patient with the youths' inevitable growing pains during a first round playoff series and how will the front office respond?
Good point. What will Lebron want?

--Anonymous
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:

LeBron already supported the Lakers youth over getting a win now player, he said so in his interview with Rachel Nichols... he has a FO he can trust unlike in Cleveland were he had a problem with there management which played a part in his LeGM role.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Judah wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

They have been open that this is year one of a two year plan. Do they want to win? Sure. Have they done everything they could to give them the best chance to win? Not so far.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 49 of 79
Jump to: