Official Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk Thread (Traded to Michigan)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 77, 78, 79  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

I think one of the problems when the players have a lot of autonomy is that they have little motivation to pass the ball to someone who's going to take either their job or minutes.

I'm not saying this is how it is for sure, but considering that most agree that Luke doesn't seem to run many specific plays, what motivation would Lance have to pass to Svi? Unless you give up the ball when time's running out for a contested three... you are passing to someone who could easily surpass you from a shooting perspective.

Even the pass first point guards are going to pass to their boys rather than the new kid on the block.

This probably has gone on since the dawn of the NBA... but yeah, they weren't really looking for him... and I'm pretty sure it's not because they are afraid he can't shoot.
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
I think one of the problems when the players have a lot of autonomy is that they have little motivation to pass the ball to someone who's going to take either their job or minutes.

I'm not saying this is how it is for sure, but considering that most agree that Luke doesn't seem to run many specific plays, what motivation would Lance have to pass to Svi? Unless you give up the ball when time's running out for a contested three... you are passing to someone who could easily surpass you from a shooting perspective.

Even the pass first point guards are going to pass to their boys rather than the new kid on the block.

This probably has gone on since the dawn of the NBA... but yeah, they weren't really looking for him... and I'm pretty sure it's not because they are afraid he can't shoot.

When I play basketball, I don’t think those thoughts really make a difference who I would pass to. It’s more of who is open and who usually makes the shot. The time it would take to make that decision is longer than the time I have to pass. But if it’s a preplanned conviction then it is a different story.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject:

Kjj10697X wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

When I play basketball, I don’t think those kind of thoughts really make a difference who I would pass to. It’s more of who is open and who usually makes the shot. The time it would take to make that decision takes too long versus the time I have to pass. But if it’s pre-panned conviction then its a different story.

Unless you are an NBA player, you aren't playing for millions of dollars.
Going from starter to rotation, or rotation to bench is a huge deal.

That's why the coach needs to be strong in getting his vision implemented.

Look how Pop took his garbage team back into the playoff picture.

I'm not saying for sure this is how it is... but it must be in the back of their minds. If Svi 47 got a lot of run... I'm sure he'd eventually take one of the rotation guys minutes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

I think most of the players know how weak the G League is and doubt that any are afraid to pass the ball to a guy just because he played well in a G League game. It isn’t that impressive.
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Kjj10697X wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

When I play basketball, I don’t think those kind of thoughts really make a difference who I would pass to. It’s more of who is open and who usually makes the shot. The time it would take to make that decision takes too long versus the time I have to pass. But if it’s pre-panned conviction then its a different story.

Unless you are an NBA player, you aren't playing for millions of dollars.
Going from starter to rotation, or rotation to bench is a huge deal.

That's why the coach needs to be strong in getting his vision implemented.

Look how Pop took his garbage team back into the playoff picture.

I'm not saying for sure this is how it is... but it must be in the back of their minds. If Svi 47 got a lot of run... I'm sure he'd eventually take one of the rotation guys minutes.

I think I have the perfect example. At the start of the season Beasley made a sly comment that Kuzma can be good but has to know when to fall in line. It was during an interview in the preseason. I am sure he was thinking of LeBron as well as himself eating first before Kuz. But when it comes to game time, I have never seen Beasley not pass to Kuz.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Kjj10697X wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

When I play basketball, I don’t think those thoughts really make a difference who I would pass to. It’s more of who is open and who usually makes the shot. The time it would take to make that decision is longer than the time I have to pass. But if it’s a preplanned conviction then it is a different story.

Sometimes guys "freeze out" (purposely don't pass to) others they don't normally play with. It happens in pickup, but the most famous time was Isaiah Thomas and his Eastern Conference teammates doing it to Mike when he was a rookie all-star.

Kobe made it clear that pecking orders exist when he said his teammates have to understand that he eats first.

We saw this team do that recently when their young future pg hopeful, Bonga, got a chance to mop up a game or 2. For some reason (duh...it's not his turn to shine) he kept standing in the corner waiting for the ball.

I'm sure Rondo or Lonzo, or Caruso would be more than willing to pass to Svi while searching for a quick assist, but the rest of the teammates are more likely to play favorites.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject:

another promising stint from Svi in what little time he got. Had a few decent plays from both sides of the floor.
What is frustrating yet again is that in a game where it was clear early on that nobody in the main rotation is having a good shooting night, why wouldnt we get our sniper in training some more run to see if he can get things going?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
another promising stint from Svi in what little time he got. Had a few decent plays from both sides of the floor.
What is frustrating yet again is that in a game where it was clear early on that nobody in the main rotation is having a good shooting night, why wouldnt we get our sniper in training some more run to see if he can get things going?

Yep Luke playing it safe by going with Hart and Lance instead of rolling the dice with Svi.

Considering how shaky his start was, his turnovers are already lower than Lance so I don't see what the risk was. It's not like Lance is playing lockdown defense either.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject:

Keep improving Svi.
Just like our other 21 year olds
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

I think Svi had a 40 pt game in the G-League last week. He might be ready for more playing time.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Well if we trade some of our young guys, he'll have to step up.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject:

Those back to back missed wide open threes (especially the second one) were absolutely brutal. Shades of practice Machine.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
Those back to back missed wide open threes (especially the second one) were absolutely brutal. Shades of practice Machine.

Hmm. I got shades of Anthony Brown. =)
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
I think Svi had a 40 pt game in the G-League last week. He might be ready for more playing time.

47 points
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Are we sure he's actually scoring in the g-league?

Because all I see are bricks from him.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject:

It takes time. He’s coming along and gives good effort. The shot should eventually start falling. Just needs to get used to the nba, which could take all season. Way too early to be concerned about him, especially considering where he was drafted.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject:

we should play him more regardless if the shot is falling. his confidence is down and it hurts our offense, saw him turn down some shots in Minnesota due to it. its on Luke to not sub him out the 1st mistake he makes

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
we should play him more regardless if the shot is falling. his confidence is down and it hurts our offense, saw him turn down some shots in Minnesota due to it. its on Luke to not sub him out the 1st mistake he makes

Yep any game where we are in control or way behind, we should give him the green light and let him shoot out his jitters
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject:

which one of his runnings up and down did you guys like the most in the 2 (bleep) minutes he got tonight? i liked his 2nd running up the court the most, it was a consistent, evenly paced run and it seemed without losing much stamina. good job

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
which one of his runnings up and down did you guys like the most in the 2 (bleep) minutes he got tonight? i liked his 2nd running up the court the most, it was a consistent, evenly paced run and it seemed without losing much stamina. good job

What I liked about Svi tonight is that he's a good teammate.

They all looked like they were trying to hook up Beasley for his birthday.

It was nice to see that camaraderie.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

And I also liked that he didnt piss and moan on a day the Lakers won. Although he can work on his happy birthday singing.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

He could have been a good teammate from the court as well.

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject:

basically no time to do much but did note a solid defensive possession where he shut down a defensive drive and recovered quickly to prevent a pull up jumpshot attempt. that was in addition to the steal. More evidence of his low key solid defense that Ive been spying on from him throughout this season.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject:

MY MAN!!!!

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Hit 3s, take charges!
Get minutes!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 73 of 79
Jump to: