Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

Maybe I'm in the minority, but even the early 90s Lakers were in the lottery just once, the mid 00s in the lottery once, and tanking for losses is lame.

Play with effort. Maybe win some games. There are guys that I like that may be gone by the Lakers pick, but that 1 guy isn't worth the franchise's culture.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

Mike@LG wrote:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but even the early 90s Lakers were in the lottery just once, the mid 00s in the lottery once, and tanking for losses is lame.

Play with effort. Maybe win some games. There are guys that I like that may be gone by the Lakers pick, but that 1 guy isn't worth the franchise's culture.

Coach Wooden
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Fortunately, we don't have to try to tank. We just suck ass. THe losing will come naturally.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Fortunately, we don't have to try to tank. We just suck ass. THe losing will come naturally.

Damn, JB.

It's not even remotely fun watching them mail it in, though. I'm not sure where the line between trying and failing vs. just simply sucking is, but boy, do we walk it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject:

I mean honestly....we have 17 games left....I think 14 games are against playoff teams. Best case scenario, we go 8-9? More likely 5-12? Multiplying your chance at the #1 pick or a Top #4 pick by 3x worth losing 3ish of those 5 games?
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Tanking is in the eye of the beholder. Priority should be to play the young guys we have left so they get some experience. 17 games is almost a college season. I’m sure they want to win, but odds are they won’t because they’re too green or outmatched. If they do win, it will be even sweeter.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

Mike@LG wrote:

I don't see that the Lakers have really done anything to try to lose. They've been playing all their main guys their usual number of minutes, apart from who's ever injured. Doubt any of the players are trying to lose in order to get a higher draft pick. This is just the team we have.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject:

It's less that we should encourage the team to try to lose, and more that we're trying to make the best out of a (bleep) situation where is seems losing is inevitable. A high pick is better than nothing if you're going to be terrible anyways.

And to your point, if we can play our young guys and projects then maybe we'll see some effort and hard play too.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Culture changes quickly depending on your players. The Lakers had the best winning culture ever. Didn't save them when they ran out of talent. The Sixers are just fine now that they have stars in spite of their years of egregious tanking. Bottom line, I'm more interested in acquiring talent than trying to preserve a culture.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject:

When Lebron's the only guy who has a 99% chance to be back on the team next year with the whole coaching staff likely gone as well... whatever losing culture we accrue will likely be reset next season anyway.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Everybody has given up. Coach Luke has stopped coaching. Vets r nowhere to be found.

Culture will be build by new coach and probably new GM. When both Luke and pelinka r fired
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Culture is top down as much as bottom up in any successful organization. There is not, nor can there be any buy in from the players since many of them will be gone and/or expect to be moved. There can’t be any buy in from a coach who is also gone soon, and who lost the locker room after the AD fiasco. There can’t be a culture change from management, who are presently shirking any responsibility for this mess. And there can’t be any change from ownership that is blaming fake news for the Lakers problems and has their head in sand, up their tears and/or is living in 1988 still. It’s not that tanking is a great idea, but top to bottom there’s no winning culture in this organization anymore. All they can do is point to the banners and say but we won a long time ago.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

Mike@LG wrote:

Finally someone on this board with some hopefulness and leadership skills! Thanks Mike!

The season is a disaster, but as Kobe once said, next season starts right now. Ingram and Kuzma have been playing almost like All Stars for a while now. Like I said in another thread, there are some real positives (individually) to build on. The young guys need to keep ingraining the right attitude and habits. Maybe a couple of these guys on 1 year contracts can earn themselves a nicer contract by playing well during this time.

If I'm Luke Walton, I tell these guys that the pressure is off now that we know we're missing the playoffs, and to just find some joy in the work and the game, since he said they've built their culture on that. Just go out and play hard and have fun and remember that better days can lay ahead.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Damn, JB.

It's not even remotely fun watching them mail it in, though. I'm not sure where the line between trying and failing vs. just simply sucking is, but boy, do we walk it.

Oh heyo, it's TA! Back from the dead!

Tell me about it. We have Lebron and the games are a chore to watch. Damn near unwatchable even.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Finish the season, except for getting the best pick we can it is long lost. reset, get things back on track when the season ends by doing this:

Get the best pick we can, best FA we can, add in the right supporting cast for Bron/draft pick,top FA/New real deal coach, keep BI/KUZ/ZO...... Then with this build the culture from there. Set a better foundation from the ground up.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

Mike@LG wrote:

The 94 Lakers lotto team that went from Randy Pfund to Magic and went 5-11 were still trying in vain like fish flopping around in a shrinking mudpit to squeak into the 8th seed when the odds were almost nill. They lost to DEN at home in the final head-to-head in April and that was that, but I remember it being a spirited loss to a flatly better team w/ Mutombo/Rauf. That was the Nuggs team that went on to topple SEA as the 1st seed. Still, even the 94 team didn't tank, they just sucked, and even moreso with Earv as HC, but they were a legitimately bad mix of newbs and old cockers like Worthy and Buddha Edwards in Year 17 for about half the season.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject:

I'm just tired of this (bleep), man.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject:

We can't build a culture with a FO that's punting every year that refuses to reward consistency and solid play with remaining on the team.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

That winning culture was gone when Jeanie took over. Now it's tanking to get high draft picks, strike out on draft picks, trade away draft picks, then tank again. Rinse and repeat. It's just a vicious cycle of losing and then not getting prized free agents and then losing again. Who's gonna want to sign with us this offseason after the season we're having?

It is what it is. Look at the transformation the Clippers and Lakers have undergone ever since they changed owners. The only way I see the Lakers competing again is if the Buss family decides to sell the team, which is probably never gonna happen.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Facts
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
We can't build a culture with a FO that's punting every year that refuses to reward consistency and solid play with remaining on the team.

Yeah the punt needs to stop next year. Players can’t give their all if they don’t have a sense of stability.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

Mike@LG wrote:

It's not just effort. The players literally don't know what to do on the court. They'll run a single action play then stand around. Then the ball handler iso's because that's all there is left in the offense. Other teams know they can outscore the Lakers from 3 most of the time so they know if they keep the Lakers out of the paint, they have a good chance at winning.

On defense, they switch and get mismatched. Players don't rotate. They double players that don't need to be doubled and triple team players that need to be doubled. The small ball lineups are an exercise in absurdity. They really show how stubborn Luke is with his lack of adaptability and adjustments.

This team has been losing so long it's difficult to shake. I think it's bizarre that this board blames the newest people on the team who all come from winning backgrounds as opposed to those that have been languishing in mediocrity for years.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

Thanks for this thread. We didn’t get LeBron with the intention of tanking. Even with injuries these guys should be trying to get better moving into next season.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

+100 actually we are awful when playing hard so 'tanking' isn't even necessary.. we are the new 'ping pong ball darlings' of the league..
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

Never liked tanking. Teams build a losing rep and lose the younger fan base to other franchises. Tarnishes a legacy if it lasts too long - which it usually does.

Jerry Buss had it right: stay relevant and in the playoffs every year. Stars will want to come to a successful well run laker franchise - they always have (even in this new CBA, there are always creative ways to acquire stars with limited cap). This fear of being mediocre is unfounded imo, if were a middling playoff team stars will see the right building blocks and make they’re way, a competent FO can always find ways to make it happen. Right now stars see disarray and a team too used to losing
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: