McDonald's is borrowing from "Seinfeld " in effort to win back breakfast business

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: McDonald's is borrowing from "Seinfeld " in effort to win back breakfast business

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-mcdonalds-breakfast-seinfeld-muffin-tops-20180627-story.html

Quote:
McDonald's is borrowing from 'Seinfeld' in effort to win back breakfast business

McDonald's is borrowing from 'Seinfeld' in effort to win back breakfast business
Elaine pitches million-dollar muffin idea on "Seinfeld" in 1997. (NBC)

Top of the muffin to you!

Capital Group chairman and CEO Tim Armour discusses the sudden return of volatility to the markets and provides helpful context for advisors and investors.

McDonald’s, attempting to lure back breakfast customers, is ripping off an idea proposed by character Elaine Benes in a 1997 “Seinfeld” episode — selling muffin tops, sans bottoms.

In the season 8 episode, titled “The Muffin Tops,” Elaine (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) has the brilliant and original idea to open a bakery that sells only the tops of muffins.

“It's the best part,” Elaine explains. “It's crunchy, it's explosive, it's where the muffin breaks free of the pan and sort of does its own thing. I'll tell you, that's a million-dollar idea right there. Just sell the tops.”

Spike Feresten, the writer of the "Seinfeld" "Muffin Tops" episode, has a modest proposal for McDonald's if it moves forward with its muffin move.
Spike Feresten, the writer of the "Seinfeld" "Muffin Tops" episode, has a modest proposal for McDonald's if it moves forward with its muffin move. (Nicholas Hunt / Getty Images)

McDonald’s agrees.

“Customers can … expect to see an elevated McCafé experience in our modernized U.S. restaurants – delicious menu items like muffin toppers, coffee cakes and apple pies,” a company spokeswoman told the Daily News.

But the writer of that famed “Seinfeld” episode has a few requests for McDonald’s if the burger joint would like to go ahead with its muffin machination.

“They need to use the original slogan, word for word: ‘Top of the muffin to you!’ with the exclamation point,” Spike Feresten, a “Seinfeld” writer credited with scripting the muffin, “Soup Nazi” and several other episodes of the show told The News.

“And I want a $1 billion royalty,” he joked. “I’m curious about their stump-disposal method. The real way to enjoy the top is to pop it off a whole muffin and throw away the rest. The idea was based on my girlfriend at the time who only ate the tops. If they (McDonald’s) would like to call me for a consultation, I’m open to it, but Mr. Seinfeld and myself would like royalties to buy cars with.”

McDonald’s hasn’t announced its plan for what to do with the muffin “stumps” — but hopefully it won’t involve trying to pawn them off on food charities or leave them at the dump, as the “Seinfeld” characters attempted.

Feresten said that he has become a top-only muffin eater himself since writing the episode, and says that specially designed pans molded to bake just the tops don’t produce the same result.

“It’s a colossal waste of muffin to do this, but I have found that baking just the tops makes it cook from the bottom and dries it out,” Feresten said. “It doesn’t taste the same, you don’t get the same crusty outside and moist muffin inside.”

In addition to “muffin toppers,” McDonald’s also plans to offer new discounts and catering options that are currently being tested in Orlando-area restaurants.

Since the fast-food behemoth announced all-day breakfast three years ago, the company’s overall sales have crumbled in the U.S. because of – surprise – a loss of breakfast customers.

The chain’s CFO, Kevin Ozan, admitted that they “took our eye(s) off the ball on breakfast,” at a May investor conference, according to Bloomberg News. McDonald’s effectively opened itself up to competition during breakfast by expanding griddlecake time past 10:30 a.m., paving the way for rivals like Taco Bell, Tim Hortons and Jack in the Box to steak-and-eggs their claim.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“They need to use the original slogan, word for word: ‘Top of the muffin to you!’ with the exclamation point,”

"Do you really think we need the exclamation point? It's not Top of the Muffin to YOU!"

and what will they do with the stumps?
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

They better find a solution for those stumps or Rebecca DeMornay will chase them down!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: