How Many Championships Make a Trade/FA "Worth It"?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's the minimum number of championships needed for trading away the young core to be a success?
None - trading the young core is too risky. We might have a bigger, better championships window if they develop.
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Any amount - even one championship is worth it.
60%
 60%  [ 55 ]
At least 2 - our young core has huge upside.
25%
 25%  [ 23 ]
3+ - I have high standards for success
9%
 9%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 91

Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: How Many Championships Make a Trade/FA "Worth It"?

I find myself asking this question because I'm attached to the young core. It's strange as a Laker fan to have young talent and watch it grow, and it's been fun for these past few years, even in the midst of losing seasons. With all this trade and free agency chatter, the prospect of losing Ingram (whose jersey I bought) or Kuzma or Randle or Ball or Hart makes me sad. That being said, if we make the big moves and ultimately win a championship, isn't it worth it? The fear of course, is that we don't. But look at Boston - don't you think the Ray Allen/KG/Paul Pierce era was worth it for them, even for just 1 championship?

I've come to the conclusion that any and all trades are worth it if we ultimately win a championship - even just one - because that's the whole point - winning it all.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject:

Considering an Ingram/Lonzo/Randle core probably doesn't get us a title, even one title would be worth it.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

I teeter between one and two. I don't see the current core winning it. So, one would be huge. But trading a bunch for 1 title, and a worse long-term outlook with age and such... those decisions can impact a franchise for a number of years.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

Although we have a lot of championships already, they aren’t easy to come by and yeah, our current young core isn’t going to get us there on their own no matter how long we keep them together. One championship by moving them is more then we could ever get keeping them together.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

Count the seasons any team ran with their "promising" youth and didn't win a championship.

If your scenario allows a guarantee of 1 ring - all exec's would do it.

Houston would say yes.
Boston yes.
philly yes.

But for the lakers, sure you'd still get some hate cuz that's just how spoiled we are. That scenario doesn't guarantee a dynasty (3-peat).
Lakers4Life33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

With all things being equal, on average a NBA team should win a championship once every 30 years(the amount of teams in the NBA).

Obviously it doesn't work like this in real life, but there's only 30 championships in every 30 year span. So whatever moves we do that accelerates us past that average is worth it in my opinion.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

You folks can't have a regular conversation without adding a poll that less than 0.5% of viewers vote on it!!!

Where's the option of keeping young core & ADDING a FREE agent, that's why they call it free so you don't have to give up anybody & Magic would be foolish to trade away 21 yr olds when they can just sign their names & have 8-9 very good players instead of 3 & a bunch of past prime career dudes...
HC: Riley
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
You folks can't have a regular conversation without adding a poll that less than 0.5% of viewers vote on it!!!

Where's the option of keeping young core & ADDING a FREE agent, that's why they call it free so you don't have to give up anybody & Magic would be foolish to trade away 21 yr olds when they can just sign their names & have 8-9 very good players instead of 3 & a bunch of past prime career dudes...

Sounds like you fall in poll option number one - trading away the young core isn't worth it. This discussion is specifically about trading away the young core, not adding free agents.

I, too, would love to simply add LBJ and PG13 and see if we can win a championship that way. But that's also taking a risk - maybe we never win with that plan, and Kawhi was on the table ... there's a risk, either way. Branching paths. Big decisions.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

One title would be worth it.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

Let's be honest with ourselves: this young core is talented and fun to watch BUT they are not projected to be championship caliber players on their own.

There's no guarantee they'll reach their ceilings which is why I am ok with giving a few of them away for current superstars that we know are in their prime and could lead us to ring(s).
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

I think even 1 would be worth it would put us even with the Celtics.....2 and they would be legends for putting us past the Celtics...

I believe a core of Bron, KL, PG 13, Ball can win 3
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

Any amount is good
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

Half the league has NEVER won a championship, so you do whatever it takes to get one. One ties us with the Celtics, and two puts us at #1 all time.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: How Many Championships Make a Trade/FA "Worth It"?

Vadorojo wrote:
I find myself asking this question because I'm attached to the young core. It's strange as a Laker fan to have young talent and watch it grow, and it's been fun for these past few years, even in the midst of losing seasons. With all this trade and free agency chatter, the prospect of losing Ingram (whose jersey I bought) or Kuzma or Randle or Ball or Hart makes me sad. That being said, if we make the big moves and ultimately win a championship, isn't it worth it? The fear of course, is that we don't. But look at Boston - don't you think the Ray Allen/KG/Paul Pierce era was worth it for them, even for just 1 championship?

I've come to the conclusion that any and all trades are worth it if we ultimately win a championship - even just one - because that's the whole point - winning it all.

The Lakers have been so successfully that some fans have forgotten have difficult winning a championship is.

Something like a third of the teams in the league have never won a ring.

Boston took 22 years to win its last ring, and it's been 9 years since then.

So, sure, if you have a chance to get a ring you take it. But everything is a calculated risk. Heck, we could trade for a big three or keep the young core entire or do anything inbetween -- and none of it guarantees a ring.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

What if we trade the young guys away and we spend 5 years where we make the WCF a few times, maybe even the NBA finals once, but we never win the title. Would it have been worth it? Compared to being a bubble team who might make it out of the first round only once or twice in that time frame.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

This many:

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Half the league has NEVER won a championship, so you do whatever it takes to get one. One ties us with the Celtics, and two puts us at #1 all time.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
This many:

So just 2.
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
What if we trade the young guys away and we spend 5 years where we make the WCF a few times, maybe even the NBA finals once, but we never win the title. Would it have been worth it? Compared to being a bubble team who might make it out of the first round only once or twice in that time frame.

Not worth it at all. I'd rather be a young team with growing talent that flames out early in the playoffs (and potentially attracts big names, like GSW 5 years ago) than trade the farm and only make it to the WCF. Championships are all that matter.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Still worth it, getting the Lakers back to being a contender should always be the goal
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Vadorojo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Not worth it at all. I'd rather be a young team with growing talent that flames out early in the playoffs (and potentially attracts big names, like GSW 5 years ago) than trade the farm and only make it to the WCF. Championships are all that matter.

I'm remembering all of the titles that Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Vlade Divac, Elden Campbell, Cedric Ceballos, Anthony Peeler, George Lynch, Pig Miller & Sedale Threatt won here! I'm so glad they didn't trade away our young core to go after free agents and make trades . . .
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Still worth it, getting the Lakers back to being a contender should always be the goal

You can't guarantee a championship, especially with the Hampton 5 in our division, and Rockets may still improve. The best you can do is give yourself a tangible, fighting chance at getting one (or more). There is a gap in the poll between not trading and not winning and trading and guaranteed to win.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

chips don't grow on trees
Maginka
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

2 and putting the kibosh on any Celtics titles is enough, eclipse them at 18
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

One. It's not easy to win in this league. In fact it's getting harder than ever now that we live in the "let's team up and dominate" era.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: