You are the GM of the Lakers this off season, what is your game plan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your preferred method?
Option 1
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Option 2
48%
 48%  [ 23 ]
Option 3
29%
 29%  [ 14 ]
Option 4
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 47

Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: You are the GM of the Lakers this off season, what is your game plan?

I'm gonna present four different general outlines so the moves aren't restrictive, you can choose an option and then build the team according to that guideline. This is intended to kill some time the day before free agency starts and for us to look back and see which option was the closest to the management.

The idea is to pick a template, and post a roster you would open the next upcoming season with following that option.

Option 1 - Traditional Rebuild

You sign the young core back, maybe make some minor trades or go after free agent role players. Basically, in this option you're fully invested in the young core the Lakers have. Maybe you take bad salaries for more picks, you try to trade for another young player etc.

Option 2- Use Cap Space, Keep the Core

You're going to do whatever it takes to land the Paul George, Lebron James of the league. However once you sign them, you make it clear that a third star won't be traded for. You might make some really minor trades but as a whole you try to convince the free agents that this young core is the real deal.

Option 3- Use Cap Space, Try to find a balance with the young core and smart trades

Go after LBJ, Paul George or any big name free agent. You're willing to give up around 50% of the young core and assets for a Kawhi or another all star level player. However you want to keep atleast 1 or 2 young players on the team as a fail safe.

Option 4- (bleep) a young core, 100% win now

Go after all the big name free agents, make any and all trades that can get you the best team next season. Invest all assets and resources into beating the Warriors and making the most of the players you sign.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

PG and LBJ, let Randle go if I have to (I'm not going to give up too much to get rid of Deng unless it's for Kawhi)

See how Kawhi and our team is looking - possibly trade for Kawhi at the deadline

But I'm looking to keep 3 of Zo/BI/Hart/Koozy/Future Picks
KingGioV21
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

PG and LBJ, let Randle go if I have to (I'm not going to give up too much to get rid of Deng unless it's for Kawhi)

See how Kawhi and our team is looking - possibly trade for Kawhi at the deadline

But I'm looking to keep 3 of Zo/BI/Hart/Koozy/Future Picks

I’m with you 100% here.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

Option 2...

Option 3 doesn't exist as AD isn't available and there are no other smart trades that involve half the core.

Kawhi the man plays 58 games per season and averages 16 points

Kawhi the myth will play 82 games with no rust from his injury, and no flare ups in the future, and score at his one 25PPG season average for four years and win DPOY two more times despite having a tricky quad.

Option 2... sign Kawhi next season if he plays well this year.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

My first move would be to sign Paul George and Lebron James obviously.

After that I go to the Spurs and say "If it can be done without either Lonzo or Ingram, I am willing to negotiate otherwise we're just wasting time". I'd expect the Spurs to be too petty to make a non lopsided trade.

I'd offer Mo, 2 first round picks, and 2 addition seconds to get rid of Loul Deng. The main reason for this is to sign two free agents, as well as find a way to keep Julius Randle.

I'd resign Brook Lopez to a one year deal with whatever money is left. Then use MLE/VET MINS to sign shooters and defenders off the bench. If something can be negotiated with Isiah Thomas I'd think that would be perfect as long as he realized that he's a bench player.

Lonzo Ball/Free Agent
Paul George/Josh Hart
Brandon Ingram/Trevor Ariza
Lebron James/Kyle Kuzma
Brook Lopez/Julius Randle

I believe with this team, we are a top 3 team in the west. The following year we have the chemistry, and with the improvements of Lonzo, BI,Kuzma etc. we shock the world and win it all.

Last edited by Villain6Activated on Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

Id like to keep lonzo, kuzma and hart together. I think they are better long term fits and complimentary pieces when adding some star FA’s. BI and Randle are pretty good, but they are just random pieces drafted without any forethought about team composition.

Sign LBJ, hopefully sign PG. If we can’t sign PG trade BI/Randle for Kawhi, if that doesn’t get it done I guess ride it out with those 2 until maybe mid season and see if you can swing a trade for a star player at that point.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

If you can sign PG and LeBron, it seems like a no brainer to do that because you don't lose assets, barring Randle or whatever it takes to dump Deng. So that's the obvious choice.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure which option to pick. While I'm fine with a LBJ/PG offseason, I have long wanted to sign a single star (PG) and then multiple role players and do this organically and play the long game.

One thing we haven't had for years is any sense of continuity and I would really like to have the guys settle into role and thrive.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

It is probably just a smoke screen, but if its true that PG might stay with OKC (i doubt it) and Lebron wont come here without a star on the roster, then I will try to trade for Leonard tonight at 9:01. A sign and trade of Randle (4years/70 million?+Ingram for Leonard would work and would be fair for both teams. This would also benefit Randle financially since it seems there may not be much of a market for him. This could also be good relations with Mintz. I would maybe start with that and take it form there.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

Make my MAX offer to SA of Ingram + Randle (S&T) + Zubac + 2019 1st for Kawhi

If get him, then we get him, great move forward with the following. If we don't, move forward with the following except sub in Bellinelli for Lopez

Max LeBron
Max PG
Room Exception on Lopez or Bellinelli
Min Deals- Ed Davis, Devin Harris, Trevor Booker, Frye, J Green

Lopez | Davis | Booker | Wagner
LeBron | Kuzma | Frye
Kawhi | Green
George | Hart | Svi
Lonzo | Harris

or

Randle | Davis | Booker | Wagner
LeBron | Kuzma | Frye
Ingram | Bellinelli | Green
George | Hart | Svi
Lonzo | Harris
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

I'm going with the 2nd option...

Sign your two big free agents... and look to resign Randle somehow.

I'll take our top 7 players against any the top 7 players of any team in the league:

LeBron
George
Randle
Ball
Kuzma
Ingram
Hart

We have inside / outside scoring, superstars, talented veterans and young guys, great passing, and potentially a very strong defense.

I think Randle is a wrecking ball that will become even more hard to stop... we should not undervalue what Julius is becoming.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

Sign any quality FAs you can, dump Deng with whatever draft picks it takes and keep the young core together. In a couple of seasons I think a team like that can be legit title contenders.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

I voted 3. Bring in a 2nd option to LABron if he signs either trade or FA, keep some of the kids together and make a run, set up for sustainable success too.

I think Zo, Kuz, and Hart are the kids to keep, but they should make the moves they need. While Ingram is a better prospect, Kuz has IMMENSE value on his rookie deal considering his talent and skill set. Deals like that are what place teams ahead.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

I don't think I'd sign Paul George if Demarcus Cousins wants to come here. PG's skillset is very similar to what BI/Kuz can provide and we're short-handed at center unless Wagner pans out.

Basically, I split (whatever is left after signing Lebron) between Randle and Cousins. Don't trade for Kawhi and go with:

Lonzo
Lebron
BI
Randle
Cousins

Bench:

Hart
Kuz
Moe
Svi
Caruso

Sign Kawhi in 2019. Keep the core intact.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Would like to see use keep the core and sign LeBron this year. If another top line free agent doesn't make himself available, save the cap space for 2019 via 1 year deal (should be takers given the limited cap space this year)
Would consider trading Deng for a collection of bad 1 year deals as well if it comes with a pick.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Option 2:
Sign free agents that complement what you have already built. And by "complement", that doesn't mean they can't be a superstar and actually lead the team. It just means that they can be easily incorporated into the existing personnel without major sacrifices.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

See if LeBron is willing to take $10M
Birmingham
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Only 15% of LGers want to go all in.

You don't sign a 33 year old LeBron James with a view to winning in 2025.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:

After that I go to the Spurs and say "If it can be done without either Lonzo or Ingram, I am willing to negotiate otherwise we're just wasting time". I'd expect the Spurs to be too petty to make a non lopsided trade.

I'd offer Mo, 2 first round picks, and 2 addition seconds to get rid of Loul Deng. The main reason for this is to sign two free agents, as well as find a way to keep Julius Randle.

I'd resign Brook Lopez to a one year deal with whatever money is left. Then use MLE/VET MINS to sign shooters and defenders off the bench. If something can be negotiated with Isiah Thomas I'd think that would be perfect as long as he realized that he's a bench player.

Lonzo Ball/Free Agent
Paul George/Josh Hart
Lebron James/Kyle Kuzma

I believe with this team, we are a top 3 team in the west. The following year we have the chemistry, and with the improvements of Lonzo, BI,Kuzma etc. we shock the world and win it all.
that would be great . I hope we could sign James and George first. This would allow us to go over the salary cap in a trade.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:

Lonzo Ball/Free Agent
Paul George/Josh Hart
Lebron James/Kyle Kuzma

that would be great . I hope we could sign James and George first. This would allow us to go over the salary cap in a trade.
and with the news about zubac, this makes sense .
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Birmingham wrote:
Only 15% of LGers want to go all in.

You don't sign a 33 year old LeBron James with a view to winning in 2025.

You can win now and in 2025 if you play your cards right
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject:

I can't pretend to be GM. As a fan ? I don't have a preference among those four "game plans" necessarily but I'd rather not see LeBron here, period. It'd be like passing control of the franchise's future to a proven mercenary at career's end. Pass on that. Won't yield what is sought (championship drives.)
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Whatever you do, don't gut the youth of this team. And do not cut back on player development.

If the formation of the superteams from this past decade have taught us anything (Celtics, Heat, Cavs) its that going all in for one championship and moving out your young players and draft picks is the quickest way to end your reign prematurely. Funny enough, the Warriors appear to have realized that and have managed to keep their draft picks and even find ways to acquire young talent. Which is probably why their run as one of the NBA's elite will last longer than many think. Just look at the Cavs. They are literally in their current state in part because of the pressure that LeBron put on them to go all in to win now. They moved out players like Tyus Jones, Dion Waiters, Joe Harris. Those are good young players that they would love to have right now. Not to mention the host of 1st round picks they traded away as attempts to make quick fixes by veterans who are usually 31 years old and older. Now they are stuck with old, diminishing athleticism-latent, veterans on long big contracts.

Do not, for any reason, gut the youth of this team. LeBron is 33 years old and his window is now, but even that should not matter. Because in two or three years (by that time LeBron will probably be a top 12 player, but probably not the best in the world) when we may have one championship at most due to LeBron, we are going to be in an awful position if we trade away all of our young guys.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject:

ideally randle qo sign Paul and lebron revisit kawhi next year.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I can't pretend to be GM. As a fan ? I don't have a preference among those four "game plans" necessarily but I'd rather not see LeBron here, period. It'd be like passing control of the franchise's future to a proven mercenary at career's end. Pass on that. Won't yield what is sought (championship drives.)

If it ends up being just Lebron here, or nobody, what I'll read into it is that the other guys didn't want to play with Lebron. I think Paul George was 100% on board with coming home... until Lebron started entering the picture.

You get to play with Lebron James, get none of the credit for success and all of the blame for failure.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: