Luol Deng for Carmelo Anthony thought
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Luol Deng for Carmelo Anthony thought

Not a huge fan of Melo but if the Thunders are looking to lower salary, would a Melo Deng swap make sense? He would come off the books next year instead of in 2 years like Deng?
Would Thunder rather have 2 years of Deng for 18 than Melo for 28 since he didn't seem to fit in? Would LeBron want to play with Melo?

Another thought, would a 3 way trade work?

Lakers- Kawhi. We want him
Spurs- Melo. Not sure how Pop feels about him or if money works out
Thunder- Deng. Might fit in better than Melo and need to lower salary
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Deng for Melo needs to happen because nothing is going to catapult the Lakers to being able to compete with the warriors this off season now that pg is not coming

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject:

No, the Thunder made their luxury tax bed, they get to lie in it now.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

I can see the Thunder going for it and actually playing him.

I’m not on the bash Melo bandwagon but do we really want him around our young guns? I’d rather give those minutes to Kuzma & Ingram to further their development.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Depending on who the Lakers can get this year, it might be a good idea as it frees up next year cap space...
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I posed that in the main thread, but more so if James sees Melo as a vet he would need for a year as the kids grow. I don't see SA as a suitor, but the deal frees you up well for next year and for leverage in a future Leonard deal.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject:

No. We could get a much better pick using that cap space to absorb a contract.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Sure, if he'll accept he's coming off the bench from Day 1. And that, I doubt.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Would we have to start Melo? At least with Deng you can hide him in a broom closet.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Would we have to start Melo? At least with Deng you can hide him in a broom closet.

thats the thing. Melo thinks he's still a star and will cause drama if teams dont treat him likewise. Let him stay in OKC with Russ and PG... they all deserve each other.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Lol. That's cold hahaha
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Deng to Denver for Faried, Chandler, and Arthur (34 mill expiring) makes more sense, especially if you can then move Faried and Chandler (27 mill total) to New Orleans for Cousins in a sign and trade ... shout to crucifix.

In essence, that’s a Deng for Cousins and Arthur trade.

I’d do the Anthony trade if Denver is no longer an option, or if New Orleans doesn’t want Chandler and Faried for Cousins.

Note: In order to trade Deng for Anthony the Lakers would need to include an additional 4 mill (or so) to “match” salaries, which means they’d have to sign and trade the player they’d sign to the room exception and include him with Deng in a package for Anthony.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Melo wasn’t invited to Westbrook’s PG party.

That alone speaks a lot of volume.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

They talked on the jump that the Thunder might stretch Melo. However then they have him counting towards their tax bill for the next few years. You would think they wouldn't have paid Jerami Grant if they weren't thinking of stretching Melo.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Deng to Denver for Faried, Chandler, and Arthur (34 mill expiring) makes more sense, especially if you can then move Faried and Chandler (27 mill total) to New Orleans for Cousins in a sign and trade ... shout to crucifix.

I’d do the Anthony trade if Denver is no longer an option, or if New Orleans doesn’t want Chandler and Faried for Cousins.

Note: In order to trade Deng for Anthony the Lakers would need to include an additional 4 mill (or so) to “match” salaries, which means they’d have to sign and trade the player they’d sign to the room exception and include him with Deng in a package for Anthony.

Lakers don’t have to match salary. They are under the cap. Your trade machine app just isn’t updated

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

oh boy... more lead feet
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Can't Melo veto a trade ?
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Lakers don’t have to match salary. They are under the cap. Your trade machine app just isn’t updated

My bad. I left out the important detail that my note only applies if they were to trade for Anthony’s in season, after cap space is used up — then they’d need to include an extra four or five mill to “match” Anthony’s 28 mill.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

thats the thing. Melo thinks he's still a star and will cause drama if teams dont treat him likewise. Let him stay in OKC with Russ and PG... they all deserve each other.

Literally cut him. Who gives a (bleep)? I don't mind the idea, it's a good way to dump Melo and the Thunder save a (bleep) ton of money due to lux tax.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Literally cut him. Who gives a (bleep)? I don't mind the idea, it's a good way to dump Melo and the Thunder save a (bleep) ton of money due to lux tax.

No way Lebron signs here if we unceremoniously cut his buddy, or allows it if he's already signed.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject:

If LeBronze goes back to Cleveland i would have to believe lakers could get two firsts from OKC to take melo. Plus then get out of Deng via Denver. Melo, Fahried, Chandler, and 2 1st for their cap and Deng would be solid. Then resign Randle to a discounted deal.

Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Melo older than Deng... DANG!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
tox wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

No way Lebron signs here if we unceremoniously cut his buddy, or allows it if he's already signed.

Didn't the Cavs do that to Wade? It wasn't a cut but a trade for a protected 2nd rounder, but it's the same premise.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Another thought: Deng ($18m) to Denver for the one year deals of Faried, Arthur and Wilson Chandler (~$33m total) and a future 1st round pick

We save Denver $15m and several million more in luxury tax bearing in mind they just signed Jokic and Barton to massive contracts (deserverdly so) and are yet to sign Michael Porter and a decent backup point guard (Harris). Denver would likely be at least $20m over the tax rate. Doing this deal with us puts them at about $5m over.

For us, we add a future pick. We can then stretch out Darrell Arthur for 3 years at $2.5m. If we happen to sign Lebron, we will still have about $10m left over in cap space. This also factors in Randle's cap space.

Faried, Arthur and Chandler all expire after this year, creating the room we need to pursue Kawhi.

So this is what we'll have this year:

C - Lopez ($10m)/Zubac/Wagner
F - Lebron/Randle/Faried
F - Chandler/Kuzma/Svi
G - Ingram/Hart
G - Ball/Seth Curry (room exception)

At worst, we can offer Ingram, Denver's 2019 pick and our own future pick as well as Faried's expiring contract for Kawhi.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Melo older than Deng... DANG!

Teah, i dont want to go full blown birther conspiracy theory... but that birth certificate is a fake.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: