Can we please appreciate our young core and stop acting so desperate?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Fine with keeping the core together but we're getting past the "flashes of brilliance" stage. Someone show me something this season. Significant.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject:

So sick of hearing about letting our young core organically develop. Yes we have some talented juniors but it is quite likely IMO that no one on our team will ever even be an All-Star, especially given how stacked the West is. We won 35 games last season. They could organically develop and never sniff the playoffs as is. This is a superstar league. You need at least 2 to compete for a championship. We have zero. You have to try and get them when you have the opportunity. We missed out on PG. If we miss out on Lebron and Kawhi, it's a disaster.

*Cue the wait for Klay and Kawhi in 2019 replies. Rinse and repeat every year. Sick of this type of thinking every year for the last 5 years.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Love the young core, that's why I don't want to gut the roster.

Playoffs next year is key for the young core. Lebron or no Lebron, they need to make the playoffs and go from there.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Playoffs next year is key for the young core. Lebron or no Lebron, they need to make the playoffs and go from there.

Same here but they still need some solid vets
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
List of guys Brandon Ingram is going to dunk all over next season:

Comfirmed: Paul George

Pending: Lebron James, Demarcus Cousins, Kawhi Leonard

+1
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Yes very solid core but still couldn't make the playoffs last year. They just need one solid superstar to lead them. Lebron is FREE. That means we don't lose anything for him. Free, gratis, gratuit, doesn't cost us a thing. So why would we not want him?
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

The worst part of whiffing is going to be the haters and media coverage. Its going to be a painful for the rest of the summer. Obviously once we see the guys play we will see some of the pain go away.

Stick with the kids. Re-sign Randle. Absorb some salary for assets if you can. Sign 1 year deals for vets. After 2019, if no major guys are here, then we can talk about our next FO. The FO did a great job putting us in the position. We essentially didn't give up assets to dump bad contracts. There might be some value contracts you can sign on the cheap that are movable or don't get in the way of the max plan like Noel on a cheap deal. Worse thing right now you can do give a big contract to a non-star.

What's plan for the Magilinka failed crowd? Throw a big offer at Capela, Lavine, Hezonja
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

man i can‘t hear or read these words anymore „our young core“
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:
So sick of hearing about letting our young core organically develop. Yes we have some talented juniors but it is quite likely IMO that no one on our team will ever even be an All-Star, especially given how stacked the West is. We won 35 games last season. They could organically develop and never sniff the playoffs as is. This is a superstar league. You need at least 2 to compete for a championship. We have zero. You have to try and get them when you have the opportunity. We missed out on PG. If we miss out on Lebron and Kawhi, it's a disaster.

*Cue the wait for Klay and Kawhi in 2019 replies. Rinse and repeat every year. Sick of this type of thinking every year for the last 5 years.

Very few guys come into the league and are immediate superstars. LeBron. Shaq. Most superstars become superstars after several years of going through a developmental process.
Boybees
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we please appreciate our young core and stop acting so desperate?

troy wrote:
I never wanted PG here. I've wrote about that a few times. I don't want Lebron either. I could care less about Kwami and his injuries and bad attitude.

We have a good group of young players with good heads on their shoulders and no debilitating injuries. We have players at all positions (except maybe center) that show great potential. And yet...

Why are we desperate for PG, who has never won anything, got swept out of the first round last season and got owned by Joe Ingles, of all people?
Why are we desperate for KL, who was seriously injured, and we don't know if he still is, and who quit on his team?
Why are we desperate for Lebron, who's a male diva that demands everything be his way?

We're not winning any finals for the next few years anyway, why not enjoy seeing our young guys become stars? Maybe try for Klay Thompson next year. There will be some great players out there that we don't have to trade everybody to get. Why not try to make the playoffs this year and attract those players by showing them we have the potential to win.

I'm sick and tired of these low IQ fake stars humiliating my Lakers. PG talking sh*t now, posing with cigars in his mouth like he's worth a damn. I hate that guy with a passion.

Let's show some pride in our Lakers and stop acting so anxious for players to sign with us. We have a good team now, it will get better. Leave it be and be patient. Stop begging. Show some pride.

Agreed. No combination of two max free agents will allow the Lakers to get past GSW over the next 3-4 years. They are setting up a lasting dynasty. The best path is to be patient until the window opens for a new champion to emerge. If we are patient and allow this group to develop together, we'll be well positioned to exploit the next window.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Randle made the leap to become a 20/10 player as a starter. We probably would have won over 40 games if Luke had started Randle from the start. Imagine if both Kuz and BI make a similar leap this coming season. That's like Indiana with three Oladipos.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Al13 wrote:
man i can‘t hear or read these words anymore „our young core“

Our "Young Core" is good to use for another 10 years
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
Randle made the leap to become a 20/10 player as a starter. We probably would have won over 40 games if Luke had started Randle from the start. Imagine if both Kuz and BI make a similar leap this coming season. That's like Indiana with three Oladipos.

Randle had an excellent season. Now ask yourself if his impact will ever be in the same universe as someone like Kawhi Leonard. Will he even make an all star team?

These are the questions that pop up when people debate whether to trade young core players for proven superstars and Finals MVP's. I like Julius/Kuz/BI/Lonzo/Hart but if I'm being honest I'm not seeing a lot of superstars.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Same here but they still need some solid vets

No doubt. Sprinkle in vets and make the playoffs.

Absolutely cannot miss the playoffs next season.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

eagles nut wrote:
where24happens wrote:

Very few guys come into the league and are immediate superstars. LeBron. Shaq. Most superstars become superstars after several years of going through a developmental process.

You can say this about the Warriors. People don't recognize that Klay and Curry weren't big time stars the first couple of years in the league.
tgi_friyay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lebron is the one FA I wanted and we still have a shot. No matter what, we should cash out on some of our young players while the market is high on them. We missed a real opportunity with George, that was a huge mistake.

What was a huge mistake?
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

I think we all appreciate them. We like them. Most of us think a number of them have great potential. However, if you can secure all-pro talent.. it is generally better than banking on potential which may or may not become all-pro.

I'm fine keeping most of them. I think they will be fun to watch and will improve every year. But if you have a shot at top talent, you go for it.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

The same folks crying about us missing out on FA's are the same ones who will be crying about barely missing the playoffs next season with the youth only. Don't whine about problems if you don't have a solution.
rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Dang, I want Kawhi and Lebron. We need one big FA signing to get the ball rolling. I love our young guys but they need help and I want them to get it.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

When I was young I remember being pissed we had to dump Anthony Peeler to secure Shaq, who I hated before coming here. It was a deal breaker to my teenage mind. I'll cut the OP some slack (unless he's 35).

Last edited by greenfrog on Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we please appreciate our young core and stop acting so desperate?

troy wrote:

Why are we desperate for Lebron, who's a male diva that demands everything be his way?

People said the same thing about Kobe. They were just haters. Even in his prime people argued that a team was better off with Kobe. But who cares? Both Kobe and Lebron win rings. Look at how many rings the Cavs and Heat won without him. They won 3 rings with Lebron in 8 years, and 1 ring combined in decades without Lebron.

Quote:
We're not winning any finals for the next few years anyway

I think you’re being inconsistent here. You say we have a good team, and you also say we can’t win with some superstars added to the roster. Huh?

Quote:
why not enjoy seeing our young guys become stars?

We don’t know how good they will become. We can’t predict injuries, work ethic, the possibility someone leaves, the possibility players take a step back or stop improving, etc.

Quote:
Maybe try for Klay Thompson next year.

Sure, but it seems doubtful he will turn down a five-year, $188 million contract extension he could sign with the Warriors.

Quote:
There will be some great players out there that we don't have to trade everybody to get. Why not try to make the playoffs this year and attract those players by showing them we have the potential to win.

We can show them we have the potential to win right now so why wait? The team doesn’t need to trade anyone to get Lebron and he is a better player than anyone out there.

Quote:
Let's show some pride in our Lakers and stop acting so anxious for players to sign with us. We have a good team now, it will get better. Leave it be and be patient. Stop begging. Show some pride.

Who is begging?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we please appreciate our young core and stop acting so desperate?

Boybees wrote:

Agreed. No combination of two max free agents will allow the Lakers to get past GSW over the next 3-4 years. They are setting up a lasting dynasty. The best path is to be patient until the window opens for a new champion to emerge. If we are patient and allow this group to develop together, we'll be well positioned to exploit the next window.

There are plenty of other teams probably thinking the same thing so it will be difficult to win after GS ends it run.

And the Warriors have probably peaked. They already looked less hungry this year. I think they will be more vulnerable in the next 3-4 years than they were in the last 3-4 years.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we please appreciate our young core and stop acting so desperate?

Steve007 wrote:
Boybees wrote:

There are plenty of other teams probably thinking the same thing so it will be difficult to win after GS ends it run.

And the Warriors have probably peaked. They already looked less hungry this year. I think they will be more vulnerable in the next 3-4 years than they were in the last 3-4 years.

Harden + healthy CP3 would've knocked off Warriors this year. It's possible if the combination works. Lebron + Kawhi is a helluva combination.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject:

The Cavs had good talent with Irving and Wiggins in 2014. Maybe they should have passed on Lebron so they could be patient and let the young guys develop.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
The Cavs had good talent with Irving and Wiggins in 2014. Maybe they should have passed on Lebron so they could be patient and let the young guys develop.

But Kyrie was an allstar
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: