Official LANCE STEPHENSON Thread (Cried after being Eliminated from Playoffs - pg.57)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

Lance Stephenson loves and respects Kobe -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxicNdCeE5A
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
"You look at Michael Jordan having a player like Dennis Rodman and Kobe's team with Metta. Having a tough player like that brings an edge to the game like Lance is a really nice ingredient."

- GM Rob Pelinka on signing Lance Stephenson

Only Rodman and Metta were good players. Lance isn’t.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:

Looks like I've always liked lance stephenson
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
GTL wrote:

Looks like I've always liked lance stephenson

Ditto
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Anybody know why Lance went from being known as a tough defender to a bad one? Did he lose his athleticism or was it something mental?
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I can't talk myself into this one. I'm just happy it's a one year deal. He's a bad player and a terrible human being.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject:

I really don't understand this signing but whatever.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject:

Lance crashes Magic's interview.

Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Anybody know why Lance went from being known as a tough defender to a bad one? Did he lose his athleticism or was it something mental?

I don't know but I would say it is mental/lack of focus.

Seems like he gets up for certain match ups, but his attention fades over the long haul.

I am hoping that being on a team with Lebron, going for the finals will keep him more focused this season.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
"You look at Michael Jordan having a player like Dennis Rodman and Kobe's team with Metta. Having a tough player like that brings an edge to the game like Lance is a really nice ingredient."

Dennis Rodman was the best defender in the league, one of the greatest defenders of all time, and the best rebounder the league had.

Ron Artest was one of the best defenders of all time that single handedly carried the Houston Rockets past the 1st round, and took the Lakers 7 games despite having no McGrady and Yao Ming getting hurt, in the previous season.

Lance Stephenson is on his last legs on a cheap deal, was statistically one of, if not the worst defender in the league last year, whom occasionally annoys LeBron. Not due to being able to stop him, but just being irritating in general.

Lance is NOT on that level. Rob is just saying stuff to get the casual Lakers fan that buys into everything he says to start going around acting like "Lance is gonna be our Dennis Rodman/Metta!!" but never looking at the stats.

I like Rob Pelinka and his storytimes, but don't talk down to us like we're idiots. Be up front. You signed him because he was a cheap one year deal cause you're tunnel visioning in 2019 and you have no intention of bringing him back to this team.

The guy whom was actually the irritant that was on the "best defender/rebounder" scale of the Dennis Rodman or Metta comparison is the guy you got rid of for nothing cause you wanted to save money.

So don't try to "Kevin Martin is just as good as James Harden" us please. We're not that stupid. Especially with people actually doing the analytics on just how horrible Lance was. The fact you try to put him in the same vein as Rodman/Metta is an insult to the intelligence of Lakers fans and shows how far behind analytically the organization STILL is, if he actually believes that stuff.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Dennis Rodman was the best defender in the league, one of the greatest defenders of all time, and the best rebounder the league had.

Ron Artest was one of the best defenders of all time that single handedly carried the Houston Rockets past the 1st round, and took the Lakers 7 games despite having no McGrady and Yao Ming getting hurt, in the previous season.

Lance Stephenson is on his last legs on a cheap deal, was statistically one of, if not the worst defender in the league last year, whom occasionally annoys LeBron. Not due to being able to stop him, but just being irritating in general.

Lance is NOT on that level. Rob is just saying stuff to get the casual Lakers fan that buys into everything he says to start going around acting like "Lance is gonna be our Dennis Rodman/Metta!!" but never looking at the stats.

I like Rob Pelinka and his storytimes, but don't talk down to us like we're idiots. Be up front. You signed him because he was a cheap one year deal cause you're tunnel visioning in 2019 and you have no intention of bringing him back to this team.

The guy whom was actually the irritant that was on the "best defender/rebounder" scale of the Dennis Rodman or Metta comparison is the guy you got rid of for nothing cause you wanted to save money.

So don't try to "Kevin Martin is just as good as James Harden" us please. We're not that stupid. Especially with people actually doing the analytics on just how horrible Lance was. The fact you try to put him in the same vein as Rodman/Metta is an insult to the intelligence of Lakers fans and shows how far behind analytically the organization STILL is, if he actually believes that stuff.

I agree that Rob needs to cool it on making every signing and draft pick sound like the second coming. He's the GM of this team, not a hype man.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

Pacer fans seem to really like Stephenson. They aren’t happy that thier GM cut him and they wish him well with the lakers. That says a lot about a player imo. They do question how he fits into a system because that’s the issue he seemed to have in Indy as well.

Fans like how he left everything out on the floor for them when he played. They admit that it was always a surprise wether they were getting a good or bad version of lance, but whichever he played his hardest. Imo that’s the characteristic that pelinka was comparing to metta and Rodman (not necessarily talent). He brings energy, hustle, toughness that can really change the dynamic of a team. One pacers fan on realgm made a comment that lebron finally gets to play with a team that has swagger. Lance brings that swagger.

Magic described in his interview yesterday how lance fits into what we are doing. He’s pretty good on the break, he can create for himself and others and adds toughness, energy.

I think rondo will keep him engaged and involved in that second unit by controlling when and where he gets his touches so he’s his most effective.
When lance is OC we will see svi
Rondo
Hart
Lance/svi
Kuzma
Zubac/Wagner

Rondo can do something with that unit imo

+ with all those scorers in that unit I think lance will surprise a lot of fans with his vision and passing ability. He has a little showtime in him.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
Yeah, I can't talk myself into this one. I'm just happy it's a one year deal. He's a bad player and a terrible human being.

Nice guys finish last.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Amazing to me how not just how terrible of a basketball player he's been the past few seasons gets glossed over, but also his off the court conduct. There a reason at all?

Seems like there's a period of "I believe in him" cause the Lakers signed him, but about 3 weeks into the pre-season that's all going to be reversed.

Doubt they really looked into some of the terrible off the court things he did, and just signed him cause either leBron wanted him, or cause he was available on a one year deal and they have no intention of bringing him back, or both.

Cause the general consensus is getting to be "yeah he sucks but the fans love him cause he plays hard." that's not the guy you want Pelinka running around trying to sell to you that he's gonna be the second coming of Metta/Rodman.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Amazing to me how not just how terrible of a basketball player he's been the past few seasons gets glossed over, but also his off the court conduct. There a reason at all?

Seems like there's a period of "I believe in him" cause the Lakers signed him, but about 3 weeks into the pre-season that's all going to be reversed.

Doubt they really looked into some of the terrible off the court things he did, and just signed him cause either leBron wanted him, or cause he was available on a one year deal and they have no intention of bringing him back, or both.

Cause the general consensus is getting to be "yeah he sucks but the fans love him cause he plays hard." that's not the guy you want Pelinka running around trying to sell to you that he's gonna be the second coming of Metta/Rodman.

I wonder if Luke was on-board with the decision to bring in Lance. The "energy without achievement" niche seems to be entirely Magic's fetish. This is basically Brewer 2.0.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

We may hate him all regular season. Who cares? Did you see him in the playoffs last year? He’s an asset to any playoff team especially if he is an end of the rotation guy who you can bench when he’s not focused and acting like a dumbass.

Didn’t the off court stuff happen when he was a teenager? It’s horrible stuff but he shouldn’t be punished for that forever.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Stephenson I think is going to be a back of the rotation player, really being brought in for that 1 year mentor/player deal. Guys like MWP at the end, Fisher, more or less culture guys, whose best days have been 3-5 years ago.

Rondo is sort of in the same role, but I think he gets every game playing time, where Stephenson may only play every other game or significantly less minutes than Rondo.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Brian Shaw was with Indy when Stephenson was having breakout seasons
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

*Lance Interview:

Lance Stephenson opens up on his time in Indiana, his fresh mindset, and playing alongside LeBron

http://vigilantsports.com/exclusive-lance-stephenson-opens-up-on-his-time-in-indiana-his-fresh-mindset-and-playing-alongside-lebron/
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject:

I’m not sure how many of you are familiar with @lethalshooter on instagram, but he’s going to work with lance soon. I would not be surprised if lance is shooting a lot better for us next season. It’s going to be fun
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Lance is only 27 years old lol he’s going to surprise a lot of laker fans. I expect him to be a fan favorite by the end of the season. Good call @jesus pointing out that someone on our coaching staff is familiar with the guy. Shaw probably co-signed for the kid.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject:

#StayInYoLane wrote:
I’m not sure how many of you are familiar with @lethalshooter on instagram, but he’s going to work with lance soon. I would not be surprised if lance is shooting a lot better for us next season. It’s going to be fun

How’d you hear about this? Never heard of him until now, so thanks for letting us know. It's encouraging to hear. That definitely shows how committed he is to shooting well next year. If he does, watch out.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, I think it is mostly mental for sure. I only watched him late in the season and in the playoffs and there is noway the guy I saw is one of the worst defenders in the NBA idc what any stats say. I would say it is a bit scary how easily he can turn it off most of the season though if he was really dogging it for most of it. I am somewhere stuck in the middle with this signing right now, I am no where close to as down as many but I am also not the biggest supporter.

The one thing though with this current Lakers team is if comes in and tries to halfass it he will ride the bench real quick imo so I am hoping we see a recharged focused Lance that I seen in the Playoffs but for the entire season.

In the end I think (hope) he is going to turn a ton of fans opinion around real quick.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject:

I'm going to take this quote from the Maginka thread and put it in the Stephenson thread:

RG73 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Who's the new director of analytics

The Lance Stephenson signing should tell you we dont have one.

Until you look at the fact that Harden and Dray have terrible numbers when playing against Lance. Sometimes it's not the global data we need to look at, but the fine grained data. Specific match ups are important sometimes. If Harden shoots 30% every time Lance is around because getting in his ear throws him off his game, then it's worth it.

I wanted to check out the head to head numbers of Lance vs Harden and Draymond and surprisingly Lance has held his own against both (although losing most of the contests).

Lance vs Harden http://bkref.com/tiny/JuC7p
Harden W/L 6-3 MP 34.7 FG% .382 3P% .329 FT% .901 TRB 4.3 AST 6.8 STL 1.4 BLK 0.7 TOV 3.6 PF 2.3 PTS 24.2
Lance W/L 3-6 MP 27.5 FG% .436 3P% .353 FT% .765 TRB 4.7 AST 3.4 STL 0.8 BLK 0.0 TOV 1.6 PF 2.4 PTS 9.7

Lance vs Draymond http://bkref.com/tiny/Dj2x2
Green W/L 8-3 MP 26.4 FG% .440 3P% .303 FT% .667 TRB 6.6 AST 3.2 STL 0.8 BLK 0.5 TOV 2.0 PF 2.5 PTS 8.7
Lance W/L 3-8 MP 30.9 FG% .462 3P% .500 FT% .778 TRB 4.6 AST 4.3 STL 1.0 BLK 0.1 TOV 1.9 PF 1.9 PTS 12.4
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject:

@LStephenson sometimes 'I don't care' defense, it reminds me of Lamar Odom Sunday Night 'I don't care' defense!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 25 of 57
Jump to: