3pt Shooting - Do We have Enough???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
RichD wrote:
We do have our first round pick correct?

Yes, and it will be getting packaged with Lance and Beasley shortly after 12/15.

Don't you put that hex on my draft thread!
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Sorry BVH, i don't like it either.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Imagine not wanting to sacrifice assets to move Deng and then turning around and trading a 1st to fix the short-term roster problems you created to appease an angry Lebron. Whooo boy!
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Imagine not wanting to sacrifice assets to move Deng and then turning around and trading a 1st to fix the short-term roster problems you created to appease an angry Lebron. Whooo boy!

Maginka is officially out of Previous Regime Mistakes to blame and has a fresh pile of their own blunders to undo.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

The sad thing is....what trade can we really make? I'm sure we still want to preserve salary cap next year for that Star Player we hope changes their mind about playing with Lebron...so are we giving up a 1st for a rental?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
The sad thing is....what trade can we really make? I'm sure we still want to preserve salary cap next year for that Star Player we hope changes their mind about playing with Lebron...so are we giving up a 1st for a rental?

They can still retain a player's Bird rights after renouncing his cap hold, which would allow them to sign that player to a 1-year deal with a *wink* of a bigger deal to be had above the cap in 2020. The Lakers could've done that with Brook Lopez this summer, but foolishly chose not to.

I can't see a midseason acquisition of any value not just walking for more guaranteed upfront money rather than a promise from Maginka, though. So it'd most likely be a 1st for a 4-5 month rental.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Stephen Jackson thinks we should trade Lonzo for more reliable guys who can shoot the ball

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ck4bo7Z4NtU
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Stephen Jackson thinks we should trade Lonzo for more reliable guys who can shoot the ball

That’s a long list at this point.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

LAL4K3RS wrote:
First game of the year and everyone seems to be assuming we cannot hit a 3 point shot. Keep in mind, Kuz went 1-7 beyond the arc. He is usually a much better shooter. Lebron was 0-4 as was BI. These three players hit just one more three pointer and the score is tied at 128-128. I have complete faith that we just had a bad night of shooting. I think we will be just fine once this team starts to gel. And that won't be that far away, it will be in November that we see this team play with a lot more synch. Even so, we were killing Portland driving to the hoop and fast break points. We just hit 33% of our threes and this team wins that shoot out every time. As for defending the Three pointer, Portland who has some great three point shooting only hit 35% which is just a hair over 1 in 3 shots. If they hit 50% I would say we didn't defend the 3 point shot. In fact they only had two guys who hit several three point shots and the rest of the team did an awful job of shooting. One game in Portland which has been a very ugly arena for us in the past. Some ghosts won't go away I guess.

The team was very unlucky last night, but unfortunately when you don’t have a good shooting team you’re going to have more of these bad shooting nights throughout the season. It’s a problem that will keep showing up. And there will be fewer nights when the team is on fire from three.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
The problem will be consistency at the three.

There will be nights when we destroy even GSW by 20 plus points... and where we lose to an Atlanta or Sacramento... I could see the vision many here had about an athletic, switchable defense that kills team with pace.

However, it's also simple math... we were one of the worst three point shooting teams in the league, and instead of rectifying that weakness we weakened our ability at the center position, the point guard position, and have so far shown little gain at the other positions.

We have potentially one of the best three point shooters sitting on the bench, but do we take the risk of conceding some athleticism and quickness for allowing the rookie to learn? At this point, I'd say we have no choice but to play Svi instead of Lance, and maybe even KCP. Also if Mo can make his shots and provide some defense, maybe he can offset the loss of Brook.

People here laughed when I kept saying shooters over and over like a broken record, acting like I had no understanding of the front office's vision. I do see what they were trying to do, and I have to say it was exciting to watch the team last night, even though they lost.

However, I also understand math, and no matter how athletic and switchable your team is, if you can't achieve the fundamental directive of the game and place the ball inside the hoop... the rest doesn't really matter. Shamet would have helped last night... he shot 4 of 7 from three and he's more NBA ready than Svi. However... although Svi looked really green during preseason... his shot is legit... if Luke has the balls to give him Beasley and Lance's minutes... they can fix their problem.

I like your post but just wanted to mention that the part in bold makes it sound like the team didn’t add Lebron. I wouldn’t say the team has shown little gain at the position he plays.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Even when the Lakers are off from 3, it doesn't hurt too much because their opponents don't make them either. Despite all of the clean looks the Blazers got they were still pretty mediocre.

I don't think that's the right way to look at it at all. Not every team will shoot as badly from three as Portland did last night. In fact, most won't. OTOH, the Lakers' lack of shooters is exacerbated by the fact that their offense (as of today) hasn't been producing good looks from three anyways. That's a twofold problem that's impossible to overcome in this era, especially if you aren't going to be elite at free throw shooting and defense.

I think they need to take better advantage of LeBron's gravity to get open looks. They're the fastest team in the league and that's not going to change. So if they can just be average in the half court, that would go a really long way.

It's not a good thing to be missing their own threes of course but I was just pointing out that even on an off night, other teams aren't going to hurt them from the three point line because they will be missing theirs too. I'm so used to teams missing everything that Portland seemed red hot shooting 35%
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
The problem will be consistency at the three.

There will be nights when we destroy even GSW by 20 plus points... and where we lose to an Atlanta or Sacramento... I could see the vision many here had about an athletic, switchable defense that kills team with pace.

However, it's also simple math... we were one of the worst three point shooting teams in the league, and instead of rectifying that weakness we weakened our ability at the center position, the point guard position, and have so far shown little gain at the other positions.

We have potentially one of the best three point shooters sitting on the bench, but do we take the risk of conceding some athleticism and quickness for allowing the rookie to learn? At this point, I'd say we have no choice but to play Svi instead of Lance, and maybe even KCP. Also if Mo can make his shots and provide some defense, maybe he can offset the loss of Brook.

People here laughed when I kept saying shooters over and over like a broken record, acting like I had no understanding of the front office's vision. I do see what they were trying to do, and I have to say it was exciting to watch the team last night, even though they lost.

However, I also understand math, and no matter how athletic and switchable your team is, if you can't achieve the fundamental directive of the game and place the ball inside the hoop... the rest doesn't really matter. Shamet would have helped last night... he shot 4 of 7 from three and he's more NBA ready than Svi. However... although Svi looked really green during preseason... his shot is legit... if Luke has the balls to give him Beasley and Lance's minutes... they can fix their problem.

I like your post but just wanted to mention that the part in bold makes it sound like the team didn’t add Lebron. I wouldn’t say the team has shown little gain at the position he plays.

Oh, I think we are still a better team overall... but I meant 3 point shooting specifically. LBJ's three ball % is no different than Kuzma or Ingram's... so we didn't upgrade shooting at the four. If we actually play Svi and Mo... maybe our 3 point shooting will be better... but this is a big if, especially in the case of Svi.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Same ish different day
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

We can't even make fts
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Yes, cuz of Lonzo Curry
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

That’s a long list at this point.

I don't think Steph Curry is available.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject:

We are currently 2nd to last in 3pt shooting% as a team

What’s even more concerning is that we’re missing a lot of open looks ..
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject:

Kuz and BI have regressed. LBJ has been pretty bad himself. Not looking good.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

Luke is an idiot. He needs to play Svi. Bring travis wear back. never play these guys together unless we are up 15+.

rondo-ingram-lebron-mcgee

lonzo-rondo-stepenson
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16
Jump to: