3pt Shooting - Do We have Enough???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject:

We do have our first round pick correct?
818fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject:

Like Rondo and Bron said, we can't beat the Warriors at their own game. That applies to the Rockets too. We don't need knockdown shooters but just consistent ones that'll give us 2-3 a game.

The main issue, IMO, is FT shooting. BI's stroke from the line has looked smooth so he could help elevate the percentage we shoot at from stripe as he's shown his ability to get to the line. I'd be complacent with high 70's and low 80's which guys like Westbrook, Holiday, and Oldadipo are likely to shoot. All three are able to get to the rack and finish through contact and big defense
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject:

We need one dedicated 3 point shooter to be competitive come playoff time. We don't have that. We lost against Portland specifically because we couldn't' counter their 3 point barrage.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject:

Shooting is a problem, but you're not going to win a lot of games giving up 128 points.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject:

RichD wrote:

Correct. No second though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject:

818fan wrote:
Like Rondo and Bron said, we can't beat the Warriors at their own game. That applies to the Rockets too. We don't need knockdown shooters but just consistent ones that'll give us 2-3 a game.

The main issue, IMO, is FT shooting. BI's stroke from the line has looked smooth so he could help elevate the percentage we shoot at from stripe as he's shown his ability to get to the line. I'd be complacent with high 70's and low 80's which guys like Westbrook, Holiday, and Oldadipo are likely to shoot. All three are able to get to the rack and finish through contact and big defense

Ultimately you cannot beat a team that shoot 3s proficiently with 2s. It's just math.

We took 30+ 3s, just need to make 12-14 a game.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject:

Can't shoot the three and can't defend it either.
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject:

First game of the year and everyone seems to be assuming we cannot hit a 3 point shot. Keep in mind, Kuz went 1-7 beyond the arc. He is usually a much better shooter. Lebron was 0-4 as was BI. These three players hit just one more three pointer and the score is tied at 128-128. I have complete faith that we just had a bad night of shooting. I think we will be just fine once this team starts to gel. And that won't be that far away, it will be in November that we see this team play with a lot more synch. Even so, we were killing Portland driving to the hoop and fast break points. We just hit 33% of our threes and this team wins that shoot out every time. As for defending the Three pointer, Portland who has some great three point shooting only hit 35% which is just a hair over 1 in 3 shots. If they hit 50% I would say we didn't defend the 3 point shot. In fact they only had two guys who hit several three point shots and the rest of the team did an awful job of shooting. One game in Portland which has been a very ugly arena for us in the past. Some ghosts won't go away I guess.
This Laker Organization has not yet hit bottom. It is moving there quickly, and I suspect this year we will see zero talent coming to the Lakers and we will trade away Kuz and BI for old vets in the hopes of giving LeBronze some scapegoats.
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject:

Instead of kcp and lance why didn’t we make an offer for JJ Reddick? The team is so unbalanced
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject:

LAL4K3RS wrote:
First game of the year and everyone seems to be assuming we cannot hit a 3 point shot. Keep in mind, Kuz went 1-7 beyond the arc. He is usually a much better shooter. Lebron was 0-4 as was BI. These three players hit just one more three pointer and the score is tied at 128-128. I have complete faith that we just had a bad night of shooting. I think we will be just fine once this team starts to gel. And that won't be that far away, it will be in November that we see this team play with a lot more synch. Even so, we were killing Portland driving to the hoop and fast break points. We just hit 33% of our threes and this team wins that shoot out every time. As for defending the Three pointer, Portland who has some great three point shooting only hit 35% which is just a hair over 1 in 3 shots. If they hit 50% I would say we didn't defend the 3 point shot. In fact they only had two guys who hit several three point shots and the rest of the team did an awful job of shooting. One game in Portland which has been a very ugly arena for us in the past. Some ghosts won't go away I guess.

Your making to much sense Just one game.I'll also say Stauskas had the game of his life.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject:

If Stauskas plays like prime Larry Bird every night then I guess we'll have to worry about the Blazers.

This was an emotional game opener for the Blazers and that crowd and atmosphere helped them.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

LAL4K3RS wrote:

This is where we disagree a little. Neither of the players you listed are good three point shooters. They didn't "just" have a bad shooting night. This is who they are as shooters. These are the type of shooting nights we can expect for all 3 regularly (I said regularly, not always).

We overrate Kuzma as a shooter on this board. You realize he shot 33% last year from 3, while the LEAGUE average last year was 36%. He's actually a below average shooter, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why many think of him as a lights out shooter when in fact he's actually below! I will admit, he has a pretty stroke and quick release.

Ingram shot much better last year from 3, but he's a very low attempt SF from three. He offset his 39% last year by only taking 1.8 per game. He actually attempted less 3s per game than he did his rookie season. Say what?!

The best move we can make right now is to bench KCP and start Hart - that would improve our shooting. And even Hart has never been considered a knock-down shooter.

We will simply always be -20 points from the 3pt line if we don't get some 3pt shooting on this team
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject:

The problem will be consistency at the three.

There will be nights when we destroy even GSW by 20 plus points... and where we lose to an Atlanta or Sacramento... I could see the vision many here had about an athletic, switchable defense that kills team with pace.

However, it's also simple math... we were one of the worst three point shooting teams in the league, and instead of rectifying that weakness we weakened our ability at the center position, the point guard position, and have so far shown little gain at the other positions.

We have potentially one of the best three point shooters sitting on the bench, but do we take the risk of conceding some athleticism and quickness for allowing the rookie to learn? At this point, I'd say we have no choice but to play Svi instead of Lance, and maybe even KCP. Also if Mo can make his shots and provide some defense, maybe he can offset the loss of Brook.

People here laughed when I kept saying shooters over and over like a broken record, acting like I had no understanding of the front office's vision. I do see what they were trying to do, and I have to say it was exciting to watch the team last night, even though they lost.

However, I also understand math, and no matter how athletic and switchable your team is, if you can't achieve the fundamental directive of the game and place the ball inside the hoop... the rest doesn't really matter. Shamet would have helped last night... he shot 4 of 7 from three and he's more NBA ready than Svi. However... although Svi looked really green during preseason... his shot is legit... if Luke has the balls to give him Beasley and Lance's minutes... they can fix their problem.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject:

Let's not overreact. We know Kuzma, Hart, and KCP will make 3s. The question marks are Ingram and Lonzo. I think they'll come around. And of course Lebron will make 3s.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
LAL4K3RS wrote:

This is where we disagree a little. Neither of the players you listed are good three point shooters. They didn't "just" have a bad shooting night. This is who they are as shooters. These are the type of shooting nights we can expect for all 3 regularly (I said regularly, not always).

We overrate Kuzma as a shooter on this board. You realize he shot 33% last year from 3, while the LEAGUE average last year was 36%. He's actually a below average shooter, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why many think of him as a lights out shooter when in fact he's actually below! I will admit, he has a pretty stroke and quick release.

Ingram shot much better last year from 3, but he's a very low attempt SF from three. He offset his 39% last year by only taking 1.8 per game. He actually attempted less 3s per game than he did his rookie season. Say what?!

The best move we can make right now is to bench KCP and start Hart - that would improve our shooting. And even Hart has never been considered a knock-down shooter.

We will simply always be -20 points from the 3pt line if we don't get some 3pt shooting on this team

Kuzma shot 37% from 3 last year.
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
LAL4K3RS wrote:

Wait a second, you are telling me that Lebron is a 0% shooter from beyond the arc? BI is a 0% shooter from beyond the arc? Kuzman is a 14.3% shooter from beyond the arc? These are the numbers we can count on in EVERY SINGLE GAME!?! I am pretty sure, their career averages were a little higher than this. At least try to imagine these guys having better than 0%, 0% and 14.3% otherwise this entire talking point is null and void.

I agree that KCP and Hart can hit from 3 point land as well as some of our bigs which didn't play last game due to the rotation. I would rather not have Ball fire up 3pointers and the same with Lance because those are definitely low % 3point shooters. But again, I have more faith in BI, Lebron, and definitely Kuz to allow them to fire up 3's. I am not a one game decides the entire season kind of fan. I have to look at the averages of these players and see what is potential and not burn the entire barn down because the doors creek when I open it.
This Laker Organization has not yet hit bottom. It is moving there quickly, and I suspect this year we will see zero talent coming to the Lakers and we will trade away Kuz and BI for old vets in the hopes of giving LeBronze some scapegoats.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

KCP is actually still one of the best 3 point shooters... but he doesn't have the mental quickness to keep up with the rest of that lineup... they'd have to slow things down to let him play at a comfortable pace.

Kuzma is an average 3 point shooter... but at least he has the balls to take his shot... even LBJ got afraid to shoot from there after he missed his first four shots.

We need to bite the bullet, take a few losses and bad games and let Svi learn.
It will pay dividends by the end of the season.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

What’s the point of all the LeBron and Rondo drive and kick outs for an open 3 if no one especially the starter can’t even hit them?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
LAL4K3RS wrote:

Agreed. It's no secret this Laker team has poor 3 point shooting capability; it's been discussed by the sports media for some time. Basketball is a simple sport; the team that scores the most points, wins. Portland has 3 point shooters, we don't. They won, we lost.

Our lack of 3 point shooting will prove a serious issue for this team this season...
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:

Correction: Kuzma actually shot 37% from 3 last year which is slightly above the league average.

But I agree with the notion that we don't have pure 3 point shooters, just players who can make a 3.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
LAL4K3RS wrote:

Kuzma shot 37% from 3 last year.

My bad, you're right, he shot just under 37%. Kuzma is an average 3pt shooter.

Still not what is perceived of him as a shooter.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Even when the Lakers are off from 3, it doesn't hurt too much because their opponents don't make them either. Despite all of the clean looks the Blazers got they were still pretty mediocre.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Even when the Lakers are off from 3, it doesn't hurt too much because their opponents don't make them either. Despite all of the clean looks the Blazers got they were still pretty mediocre.

I don't think that's the right way to look at it at all. Not every team will shoot as badly from three as Portland did last night. In fact, most won't. OTOH, the Lakers' lack of shooters is exacerbated by the fact that their offense (as of today) hasn't been producing good looks from three anyways. That's a twofold problem that's impossible to overcome in this era, especially if you aren't going to be elite at free throw shooting and defense.

I think they need to take better advantage of LeBron's gravity to get open looks. They're the fastest team in the league and that's not going to change. So if they can just be average in the half court, that would go a really long way.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

RichD wrote:

Yes, and it will be getting packaged with Lance and Beasley shortly after 12/15.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If Stauskas plays like prime Larry Bird every night then I guess we'll have to worry about the Blazers.

This was an emotional game opener for the Blazers and that crowd and atmosphere helped them.

Yeah, but Lillard and CJ missed some wide open 3s. Aminu went 0 for 6. Stauskas's way too hot shooting countered the rest of the team's too cold shooting. They were a 36% shooting team last year and they shot 35% last night.

(Sorry Yinoma, i know it feels like i'm going at ya today )
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16
Jump to: