Legend of PLAYOFF RONDO (Woj: Trade to Cavs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 166, 167, 168  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakerican wrote:
Wow, raid from the Hate Police. And I use the word glimpse. Go figure.

At least, he looked better than Kyrie who has to stat pat in the fourth quarter in a meningless january game, like you people says.

It's not the hate police. It's the reality police.

He'll have a 2 good games per 10. That's expected for a guy his age who is 6'0 tall and doesn't have that explosive quickness he was known for in the past.

And again, it's the Nets. If he did this against the Clips or Celts, yeah, Playoff Rondo may still be alive. But he can't.

One good observation from GT (aka Lakerfilmroom aka Pete Zayas) was that against even a team like Miami, Rondo just couldn't keep up athletically.

LMAO . He torched CP3 (still a great defender ), a guy he despised and probably a game that he get up for even its meaningless regular season. It’s still quite apparent that he can get into another gear but obviously not for all that 82 games.

This is my point. We can literally point to the good games he's had, b/c it's the exception, not the norm. This is what is usually expected for a soon-to-be 34 year old minimum deal PG.

Great 3rd PG option at that price where he can come in situationally. As you've conceded, not an 82 game level player and I fear against certain teams, namely Clips, he will have a difficult time.

My point is Rondo is veteran point guard who’s known to put on another gear when it matters. So whatever he can contribute in the regular season is just gravy . Just like any proven veteran who is role playing, they are just waiting for the playoff. What I’m looking for Rondo is how can get his 3 ball going by playoff, not some irrelevant inconsistencies in the regular season.

This is the old "flip the switch" argument.

The regular season is important to show whether you can flip the switch. 8 out 10 games, the switch is broken. That's why you can't assume that he can turn it on 7 out of 7 times against teams like the Clips, especially as a 34 year old Rondo (at that time).

Good 3rd PG option. Def should not be relied on as primary backup PG.

LMAO 2 games out of 10 is hyperbole. Was he shooting like over 50 percent on his 3 ball before he got injured the first time around. Did he flip the switch on CP3 and Lilliard? I agree about being a 3rd stringer but at this point, no one in our team has taken that role or actually capable of doing so. Let’s wait if we can get Collison or someone .
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
LMAO 2 games out of 10 is hyperbole. Was he shooting like over 50 percent on his 3 ball before he got injured the first time around. Did he flip the switch on CP3 and Lilliard? I agree about being a 3rd stringer but at this point, no one in our team has taken that role or actually capable of doing so. Let’s wait if we can get Collison or someone .

Look at all the metrics. They inescapably support it (and I watch almost every game too so the eye test). You can't look at raw numbers b/c he's always assist hunting.

If we had a legit backup PG, and Rondo was our 3rd PG, we would be well off. I think he's having to fill an unfair role given his age/capabilities right now.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakerican wrote:
Wow, raid from the Hate Police. And I use the word glimpse. Go figure.

At least, he looked better than Kyrie who has to stat pat in the fourth quarter in a meningless january game, like you people says.

It's not the hate police. It's the reality police.

He'll have a 2 good games per 10. That's expected for a guy his age who is 6'0 tall and doesn't have that explosive quickness he was known for in the past.

And again, it's the Nets. If he did this against the Clips or Celts, yeah, Playoff Rondo may still be alive. But he can't.

One good observation from GT (aka Lakerfilmroom aka Pete Zayas) was that against even a team like Miami, Rondo just couldn't keep up athletically.

LMAO . He torched CP3 (still a great defender ), a guy he despised and probably a game that he get up for even its meaningless regular season. It’s still quite apparent that he can get into another gear but obviously not for all that 82 games.

This is my point. We can literally point to the good games he's had, b/c it's the exception, not the norm. This is what is usually expected for a soon-to-be 34 year old minimum deal PG.

Great 3rd PG option at that price where he can come in situationally. As you've conceded, not an 82 game level player and I fear against certain teams, namely Clips, he will have a difficult time.

My point is Rondo is veteran point guard who’s known to put on another gear when it matters. So whatever he can contribute in the regular season is just gravy . Just like any proven veteran who is role playing, they are just waiting for the playoff. What I’m looking for Rondo is how can get his 3 ball going by playoff, not some irrelevant inconsistencies in the regular season.

The key word here is "veteran." Because he's been around the block he has in large part he's been a positive influence on the team and one of the keys to the chemistry and culture that has developed this season.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Look at all the metrics. They inescapably support it (and I watch almost every game too so the eye test). You can't look at raw numbers b/c he's always assist hunting.

If we had a legit backup PG, and Rondo was our 3rd PG, we would be well off. I think he's having to fill an unfair role given his age/capabilities right now.

His net rating is positive 2.5. You’re just putting his miscues under your microscope. What you should be concentrating is how can he glue that bench to one working unit by April so Lebron and AD can sit more and how he’s stroking his 3 ball.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

His net rating is positive 2.5. You’re just putting his miscues under your microscope. What you should be concentrating is how can he glue that bench to one working unit by April so Lebron and AD can sit more and how he’s stroking his 3 ball.

Are you really going to run with Rondo as your primary backup PG, trust his defense, etc. going into the playoffs?

Again. Great 3rd PG. Cannot trust him at age 34 to be Playoff Rondo. I can see him being brought out as a sparkplug against certain matchups like CP3 but I wouldn't bank on relying on him to hold that down for us. We better have a solution for this.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I believe he has great impact when Lebron is on the floor with him.
Some people use that as a negative for Rondo. I actually like that Rondo plays well with Lebron.

The primary issue I think people have is that his impact is usually negative when Lebron is off the floor. And I can understand this point. Seems most people would like Alex to be the backup ball handler when Lebron sits. Or even Quinn or Troy to get those minutes instead of Rondo. I've even read some wanting THT in there?

The only reason I'd agree with having other guys in there instead of Rondo is that those guys play better defense usually. But when the other guards are in, it pains me at times to see them handle the rock under pressure. And I wish Rondo was there On days where Rondo has young legs and can defend, I think he's a plus for us. I actually thought he was defending pretty decently early in the season. I was pleasantly surprised when he would fight over screens on defense.

I know people don't like the "playoffs rondo" moniker at this time, but I actually think he'll be a benefit in the playoffs. Playing the same team with no back to backs. Able to keen in on opponents' weaknesses and not having to "load manage" per se to survive a 82 game season. But we'll see.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Are you really going to run with Rondo as your primary backup PG, trust his defense, etc. going into the playoffs?

Again. Great 3rd PG. Cannot trust him at age 34 to be Playoff Rondo. I can see him being brought out as a sparkplug against certain matchups like CP3 but I wouldn't bank on relying on him to hold that down for us. We better have a solution for this.

Yes. I believed on his ability. History shows that along with his pedigree and experience. Guys like him always rise over the occasion . Will he play like on his prime. Nope but he will win us a game or 2. And that’s all I can ask for a backup PG.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject:

Agree with yin that Rondo as our primary backup is difficult to trust. He should be playing more of the Dudley type role from the PG position. Put him in situationally against certain matchups. It's not that he's passed his prime, he's well passed it. Like one step away from being washed.

I actually really like Rondo and I've been a supporter of his, but he's aged even from just last season. It's not his fault, just the reality of getting older. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with him as the 3rd guy and even a prime Farmar-level player as the primary backup. Someone who keeps the ball moving without eating up 80% of the shot clock and attacks when the opportunity is obvious.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject:

I'm sorry, I should have been more accurate. But this is the type of jarring stats that make me question whether we can trust Rondo as the primary backup PG:

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

Full listing of Laker L-A net ratings w/LeBron + AD + ______:

1. Caruso: +22.0
2. Kuzma: +17.5
3. Howard: +14.0
4. Green: +11.21
5. Bradley: +11.16
6. McGee: +8.75
7. KCP: +8.73
8. Rondo: -6.4

LA has performed 28(!!?!) points/100 possessions better w/Caruso’s trio than Rondo’s.

Quote:
8 Laker players have played 150+ possessions with both LeBron and AD. 7 have positive luck-adjusted net ratings.

And then there’s Rajon Rondo. LA is playing at a -6.42 points/100 possessions rate with his trio.

That’s FIFTEEN points per 100 possessions worse than the next trio.

At some point, in the playoffs especially when LBJ/AD will be at close to 40mpg, you'll have to be able to play with LBJ/AD. So far Rondo has been atrocious with LBJ/AD, our two cornerstone players.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm sorry, I should have been more accurate. But this is the type of jarring stats that make me question whether we can trust Rondo as the primary backup PG:

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

LA has performed 28(!!?!) points/100 possessions better w/Caruso’s trio than Rondo’s.

Quote:
8 Laker players have played 150+ possessions with both LeBron and AD. 7 have positive luck-adjusted net ratings.

And then there’s Rajon Rondo. LA is playing at a -6.42 points/100 possessions rate with his trio.

At some point, in the playoffs especially when LBJ/AD will be at close to 40mpg, you'll have to be able to play with LBJ/AD. So far Rondo has been atrocious with LBJ/AD, our two cornerstone players.

That’s all gravy but playoff is a different type of basketball. The ball pounding dissect the team in halfcourt type of game is more valuable.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

Quote:

That’s all gravy but playoff is a different type of basketball. The ball pounding dissect the team in halfcourt type of game is more valuable.

And how is that going to dramatically improve when the numbers show LBJ/Rondo (last year) was a horrible fit; and now LBJ/AD/Rondo are a horrible fit?

Flipping the switch...yeah, sometimes it won't happen.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

Quote:

And how is that going to dramatically improve when the numbers show LBJ/Rondo (last year) was a horrible fit; and now LBJ/AD/Rondo are a horrible fit?

Like I said I’m looking at Rondo 3 ball by playoff. Analytics are meant for clues, not definite proof. In a 7 games series, you can’t play a game of surprises. Teams easily make adjustment and that’s where experiences comes into play. And playoff is a halfcourt game. Rondo fits everything on the backup PG when it matters except his 3 ball. And that’s what I am looking at.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

Quote:

Those are valid points. Although, I'm still on the fence about the validity of 3 player lineups because the variable of who the 4th and 5th players changes things--sometimes drastically. And we'll see if Roost's point about the playoffs changing things is true or not as well. Who the playoffs opponent is very important IMO.

In 2016-17, Wade, Butler and Rondo played 592 mins in 3 player lineups. And had a netrtg of -1.0. Not so great. But things did change up in the playoffs where they in 47 mins (in 2 games before Rondo's injury) they had a netrtg of +22.5.

Again, not saying Rondo is the same, and can do the things he did back then. I just dont put all my stock on 3 player lineups. That being said, I would be OK to see how Alex does as the primary backup ball handler in the season.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

Quote:

Like I said I’m looking at Rondo 3 ball by playoff. Analytics are meant for clues, not definite proof. In a 7 games series, you can’t play a game of surprises. Teams easily make adjustment and that’s where experiences comes into play. And playoff is a halfcourt game. Rondo fits everything on the backup PG when it matters except his 3 ball. And that’s what I am looking at.

Defense is actually a bigger concern for me than his 3 ball.

I think he can be an offensive spark in limited situations.

But defensively, is a major drag when we bring out guys like AB/Caruso/Bradley/Green at the other guard spots.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

Quote:

Defense is actually a bigger concern for me than his 3 ball.

I think he can be an offensive spark in limited situations.

But defensively, is a major drag when we bring out guys like AB/Caruso/Bradley/Green at the other guard spots.

Defense is all about effort for him, he has that pedigree. He’s atrociously for the most part but when he gave a crap, it shows.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Defense is all about effort for him, he has that pedigree. He’s atrociously for the most part but when he gave a crap, it shows.

Also declining athleticism as a soon-to-be 34 year old. He just can't move like he used and I think we can all agree his defense is pretty bad right now.

Again. Light switch? I'm not gambling on that switching to 2012 Playoff Rondo levels. Heck, not even 2018 Playoff Rondo either.

He has a role on the team, just not confident it should be #2 PG.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject:

Think our bench is less of a concern. I am more concerned with Bradley and our starters. When you talk limitations, the Lakers offense was doing better with KCP and Green starting around one of the Cs, AD and Lebron. Bradley is shaky as (bleep) on offense. You can not rely on him as a jumpshooter and teams leave him open. Unlike Rondo, Bradley also doesn't have an elite passing talent to get guys on the move open shots.

I love Avery's D when he brings it, but I would love it if Rob brought in a better shooting combo guard that could hold his own defensively at the 1, to start around Howard/McGee, AD, Lebron and Green.

We could use more perimeter firepower with the starting 5. Giving the Lakers some more spacing for Lebron/AD and one of the 5s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject:

Just watching game, I believe he is the problem with this offense and def of the second unit. He is just not confident enough of a shooter to shoot when open. He and LBJ is just not a very good combo, he and AD might be but it’s very predictable cause u know his focus only focus is to penetrate to give those lobs to AD. Kuz and the others players suffer cause u can see what he it trying to do. We need a pg that will punish what the def is giving him. Collision seems to fit the bill, quick enough to penetrate and draw the def and good enough of a def to throw those lobs to AD, Plus might open the game of Kuz on offense cause he is a threat on the floor. Just don’t know if this rondo has the playoff rondo still in him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject:

A 3rd PG playing 2nd PG role. It’s our team construct. Ouch.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

Quote:

No it isn’t, this isn’t 2001. It is something that our opponents would love to see.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject:

NATIONAL TV RONDO

PLAYOFF RONDO

Rajon "I give a crap about this game" Rondo

Whatever it was, bottle it and swig it before every playoff game please
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
NATIONAL TV RONDO

PLAYOFF RONDO

Rajon "I give a crap about this game" Rondo

Whatever it was, bottle it and swig it before every playoff game please

"WE'RE PLAYING THE CELTICS" RONDO

Seriously, he was vital in our big win last year at their place and today.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Give him his props, you bums!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Kudos to Rondo; he made all the right plays tonight.

If we face the Celtics in the Finals Rondo would probably win the MVP award.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject:

My goodness, he made some unreal pass today!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 166, 167, 168  Next
Page 114 of 168
Jump to: