Legend of PLAYOFF RONDO (Woj: Trade to Cavs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 166, 167, 168  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject:

Play-Do (Playoff Rondo) strikes again.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject:

Remember when LeBron was at the podium after his last game with the Cavs in 2018 and he mentioned the importance of having guys who are cerebral and can "think the game" in the playoffs? Rondo epitomizes that.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

It’s funny how teams still sag off Rondo from the 3 point line like he’s Javale or Dwight shooting. He’s not a great shooter but good enough to make you pay for leaving him wide open on a regular basis.

I hope teams continue to do so....
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
It’s funny how teams still sag off Rondo from the 3 point line like he’s Javale or Dwight shooting. He’s not a great shooter but good enough to make you pay for leaving him wide open on a regular basis.

The JKidd treatment where teams sagged off him and played the passing lanes at the expense of leaving the guy wide open. It worked pretty well for Kidd in his later years as is now for Paydo!

Last edited by MookieBetts50 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:

according to RealGM playoff stats for this season, Rondo is 9/19 from 3pt for 47.4%
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

according to RealGM playoff stats for this season, Rondo is 9/19 from 3pt for 47.4%

He has a stretch earlier in the regular season when he was smoking it out there. The fact that he’s draining it out there at the right time for us and hopefully he can stay around 40%. Teams do sag on him. Hopefully Caruso can find his stroke too if he cooled off.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject:

If Rondo wins the title this year he is definitely getting into the HOF.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:47 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

That would mean that in 2010 Kobe beat a 4-HOF Superteam in the Finals with only one HOF teammate in Gasol. Like the sound of that...
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject:

Especially in Cleveland, LBJ struggled with his supporting cast, the one year he and Kyrie overcame the deficit and beat the Warriors, who frankly chocked. Good enough in the weak Eastern Conference, but always struggled against the teams from the West. But now with the Lakers, after just one year, LBJ not only gets paired with AD, who is mentally stronger than we give credit for -- he has guys like Green, Rondo, Howard, AC, and a head coach like Vogel. The sum is greater than the parts, and playoff Rondo is an important part of that team now.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Especially in Cleveland, LBJ struggled with his supporting cast, the one year he and Kyrie overcame the deficit and beat the Warriors, who frankly chocked. Good enough in the weak Eastern Conference, but always struggled against the teams from the West. But now with the Lakers, after just one year, LBJ not only gets paired with AD, who is mentally stronger than we give credit for -- he has guys like Green, Rondo, Howard, AC, and a head coach like Vogel. The sum is greater than the parts, and playoff Rondo is an important part of that team now.

I like our team now and I agree that we are coming together at the right time but LeBron also had a good team on his second cleveland stint (while Kyrie was there), T.Thompson, younger JR Smith, K.Love, younger Korver, and at his best Delly, I think without KD/Kyrie movement/injury, it might have been 2-2 or even 3-1 Cavs. GS got lucky that first year of their chip
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

I like our team now and I agree that we are coming together at the right time but LeBron also had a good team on his second cleveland stint (while Kyrie was there), T.Thompson, younger JR Smith, K.Love, younger Korver, and at his best Delly, I think without KD/Kyrie movement/injury, it might have been 2-2 or even 3-1 Cavs. GS got lucky that first year of their chip

That 2nd Cavs team were an elite jump-shooting team. But most of their players lacked IQ and defense especially. This Lakers team is much more balanced....we also have a better coaching staff. I believe we are the better team, not more talented from top to bottom, but like you said the sum is greater than the parts with us.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
governator wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

That 2nd Cavs team were an elite jump-shooting team. But most of their players lacked IQ and defense especially. This Lakers team is much more balanced....we also have a better coaching staff. I believe we are the better team, not more talented from top to bottom, but like you said the sum is greater than the parts with us.

I like our team so you won't get an argument from me, just thought the 2nd Cavs team was good (JR Smith was a great 4th option back then)... why did we want Ty Lue so bad? he cool with Bron? cause Vogel been looking great with his adjustment series to series
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

That would mean that in 2010 Kobe beat a 4-HOF Superteam in the Finals with only one HOF teammate in Gasol. Like the sound of that...

And that the overrated Doc Rivers won a whopping total of 1 title with 4 HOF-ers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
activeverb wrote:
I disagree with you. He made four all-star teams, one all-NBA team, and led the league in assists three times. His career average is 10-5-8. That's good, but nothing spectacular. I don't think anyone here thought of him as a Hall of Famer before this season, and I don't see that winning another ring as a bench guy will boost him that much.

But it's possible. In the past few years, the Hall has let in a lot of marginal guys who had been eligible for a couple of decades, like Paul Westphal. I get the impression there is a lot of logrolling involved in the Hall, so if some of his buddies get the selection committee it could happen, though it might take 20 years after he retires.

As they say, we shall see.

I personally believe he was HOF bound until his stint in Dallas. That bump on the road really derailed his career and overall chances because he gained a reputation for being mercurial and difficult and ended up becoming a journeyman on crappy teams. In addition to teams adopting "nerds on Excel spreadsheets" mindsets about the game and being seduced by the narrative of "Rondo doesn't have a jumper, thus he's a net-negative in the modern 3-point happy era". He's a great example of why the game isn't played on a spreadsheet. In hindsight it's actually shocking how many contenders passed on his services since that Dallas team. Because while there may have been PGs with better overall careers in the past decade (when you account for regular season), I think Rondo has been like a Top 5 PLAYOFFS PG, when it counts the most. And the PGs that I would absolutely pick before him in the last 10 years in a do-or-die playoffs if my life depended on it is VERY short: Curry, CP3, and maybe Lillard.

He's a PURE PG in the truest sense. A throwback to the old-school. There's not many PGs in the league left that can control the tempo and orchestrate the offense like a conductor like he can. What he does is truly special.

Rondo is currently #12 on the All-Time Triple Double list:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/trp_dbl_career.html

Every single player above him except for Fat Lever is in the HOF (or will be eventually).

Same goes for all the players in The Top 10 Playoff Assists.

Like someone else said, if he wins a couple of more rings as the third most important playoff player on the Lakers (I believe that would also make him the only player in NBA history to win championships with the sport's TWO MOST storied franchises), and he continues to climb up the triple-double and playoff assists list, he has a shot.

Like I said, at this point I don't think he's a Hall of Famer. But, heck, in the past few years they let in a ton of borderline guys who had been waiting around for decades, so he could get in.

The NBA pressured the Hall to put in more players, and the Hall bowed to the pressure and put in Paul Westphal, Chet Walker, Gus Johnson, Jojo White, Jack Sikma, and Zelmo Beatty. So the standard for entry has fallen pretty dramatically in the past decade because of the NBA's pressure.

I use Shawn Marion as the line in the sand. If he gets in (and that's looking like a stronger bet than it did a decade ago) the Hall will have lost all meaning to me as a mechanism to honor great players.

It will be interesting to see how low they fall – Lou Hudson, Walter Davis, Norm Nixon, Horace Grant, Al Horfold, Glen Rice, Ron Harper?

Last edited by activeverb on Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

And that the overrated Doc Rivers won a whopping total of 1 title with 4 HOF-ers.

Doc prob has coached way more than 4 HOF, CP3, Kawhi, maybe even Blake and PG
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Doc prob has coached way more than 4 HOF, CP3, Kawhi, maybe even Blake and PG

He was specifically referring to the Celtics, I think, but yeah Doc has coached several hall of famers (most past their prime/in limited roles):
1. TMAC
2. Paul Pierce
3. KG
4. Ray Allen
5. CP3
6. Kawhi
7. Grant Hill
8. Patrick Ewing
9. Gary Payton
10. Shaq

Borderlines
Blake
PG
Rondo
Ben Wallace
Shawn Kemp
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Rondo's such an old school PG, loving it
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Incredible inbound pass

Zero emotion when the bucket fell

Playoff Rondo
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Pass of the year!
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject:

9 assists, still in control even if he didn't play his best
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Playoff Rondo is something else
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Rivers' own former players consider him overrated: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693371-glen-davis-says-doc-rivers-was-lucky-with-celtics-and-overrated
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Only Laker to casually walk off the court. Emotional control ...... well except that time he punched CP3 in the face
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Needs to be more aggressive looking for his shot in the paint. 5 turnovers was too much.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject:

he is just a weird guy
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 166, 167, 168  Next
Page 141 of 168
Jump to: