Legend of PLAYOFF RONDO (Woj: Trade to Cavs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 166, 167, 168  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

^^At some point this week I'm gonna re-watch Games 6 and 7 and see if I can put my finger on what adjustment(s) Kobe made that he's referring to lol.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Judah wrote:
I'm sure hearing this makes Pelican fans feel great lol.

Joel Meyers said the Pels wanted him back but it was clear he wanted to leave regardless of how much they offers him.
M

Maybe, but the Pelicans paid him $3.3M last year. We gave him $9M. I'm cynical about the motivations of players.

Pels was willing to pay him that but Rondo agent wouldn’t give them a number and told them they have one chance to offer and there won’t be any negotiating. They also gave the Pels 5 mins to do all of that. The

Pelicans were willing to pay him $2-3 mil. After his play last season they thought that was his value.

That’s why they are the Pelicans. 😂 That’s why they will never be real championship contenders. That’s why you can add AD to the list of guys who’s primes will be wasted.

Actually they are right, Rondo’s value is in the low millions. Luckily for him we needed to carry cap space forward, no other team was giving him $9 mil.

No way Rondo's true value is in the low millions. That was what they wanted to give him....but they were willing to give him more to keep him. His agent told them not to bother making higher offers because he was coming to Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Rondo’s value is in the low millions. Luckily for him we needed to carry cap space forward, no other team was giving him $9 mil.

This is interesting analysis for someone who applauded the Deng/Moz deals. No other teams were willing to pay that kind of amount over 4 years.

Thankfully, Rondo's deal is 1 year and we probably paid an increased premium for that.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
I am very glad to hear this from someone that was in that game and is a basketball genius. So many casual fans lambaste Kobe for his poor shooting in Game 7 but he was doing so many other things that led to us winning that game.

Quote:
MT: What can two basketball minds like yours accomplish on the court together?
Rondo: Control the game. Control the game. Those are the guys who win. It’s interesting, I just found out something about Kobe, what he did in the 2010 championship Game 7. How he broke the game down and figured out how to beat us. I can’t give you the insight on that, but I just found that out. Like, maybe 45 minutes ago. It kinda pissed me off a little bit. It’s part of it, but it’s craziness. It’s amazing how he thinks the game, and it’s fun to know that.

MT: Wait, wait … so in Game 7, Kobe figure something out during the game that helped the Lakers beat the Celtics for a championship, or did he do it between Game 6 and Game 7?
Rondo: I don’t know if it was going into the game, but it was told to me that he had to figure it out during the game. He wasn’t himself. So he had to figure out a different way to win the game.

MT: OK wait, so you heard it from Rob (Pelinka)?
Rondo: Somebody. (laughs) I can’t give you my source.

MT: What I remember most about that game was the Lakers couldn’t hit a shot*, especially Kobe, but he grabbed 15 boards, a bunch on the offensive glass. That’s at least one thing he did, but it doesn’t sound like what you’re getting at…
Rondo: Man, he did a lot. When you break it down, and you watch … he made game-winning plays, basically. Not just his shot, what people assume that he normally does.

*L.A. was just 27 for 83 (32.5 percent) as a team, and Kobe 6 for 24 in a game they won 83-79, thanks in part to a massive 23-8 edge on the offensive glass.
Yeah I really respect him for these insights into that game 7, where the easy stat to find in a box score was shooting percentage, but for those of us who hung on every possession of that game, Kobe played a key role in orchestrating, rebounding while getting the players in position that Boston wasn't keyed in on, and somehow, in spite of going 6 for 24, he outscored every Celtic that played that day. Deep foul trouble for Boston, title for the Lakers.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Rondo’s value is in the low millions. Luckily for him we needed to carry cap space forward, no other team was giving him $9 mil.

This is interesting analysis for someone who applauded the Deng/Moz deals. No other teams were willing to pay that kind of amount over 4 years.

Thankfully, Rondo's deal is 1 year and we probably paid an increased premium for that.

Rondo is a great pick up. He can push the pace just like Ball instead of relying on back-up G-Leaguers X,Y, or Z to fill in while Ball is out. NOLA’s loss is our gain. $9m well spent.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I never did like Rondo for he used to beat the Lakers.
Now he is on our side.
Rondo is one of the premier playmakers of his generation. Along with Lebron who plays a different position.
Hopefully, he will teach Lonzo and speed up his development. After all he has seen it for many years. Lonzo not a full year.

If used properly Rondo will be the second best acquisition next to Lebron. But I hope all of them will be good.
No need to rush Lonzo back from injury for Rondo can hold the position. And Lonzo will have many years left hopefully in the NBA.
hdtvset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

If you want to win this year, do you still start Ball over Rondo?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

hdtvset wrote:

If he’s healthy then yes. Won’t matter much as I expect them to both finish a lot of games together.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
I am very glad to hear this from someone that was in that game and is a basketball genius. So many casual fans lambaste Kobe for his poor shooting in Game 7 but he was doing so many other things that led to us winning that game.

Quote:
Rondo: Control the game. Control the game. Those are the guys who win. It’s interesting, I just found out something about Kobe, what he did in the 2010 championship Game 7. How he broke the game down and figured out how to beat us. I can’t give you the insight on that, but I just found that out. Like, maybe 45 minutes ago. It kinda pissed me off a little bit. It’s part of it, but it’s craziness. It’s amazing how he thinks the game, and it’s fun to know that.

MT: Wait, wait … so in Game 7, Kobe figure something out during the game that helped the Lakers beat the Celtics for a championship, or did he do it between Game 6 and Game 7?
Rondo: I don’t know if it was going into the game, but it was told to me that he had to figure it out during the game. He wasn’t himself. So he had to figure out a different way to win the game.

MT: What I remember most about that game was the Lakers couldn’t hit a shot*, especially Kobe, but he grabbed 15 boards, a bunch on the offensive glass. That’s at least one thing he did, but it doesn’t sound like what you’re getting at…
Rondo: Man, he did a lot. When you break it down, and you watch … he made game-winning plays, basically. Not just his shot, what people assume that he normally does.

*L.A. was just 27 for 83 (32.5 percent) as a team, and Kobe 6 for 24 in a game they won 83-79, thanks in part to a massive 23-8 edge on the offensive glass.

i could've sworn spoke on this once before in an interview. But I could see what was going on during the game.

at a certain point two mike tysons pounding on one another. bang...bang...bang... no one would fall but no one could win the fight. it was incredible to watch that in a basketball game. where both teams were playing excellent defense and neither team could hit to be honest.

It was like they played each other so many times both teams knew each others weak and strong points.

But here's the thing. If no ones shot is falling. that means what? There are a lot of boards being left out there to be had on the offensive glass.

If you can't score on your guy. The only other way to score is fast breaks(wasnt happening), and hitting that class for put backs and the occasional cut/slip pass back to you on a give and go. but if the defense is that tight. you may not want to risk a turnover. its like you're at the goal line. sure you COULD pass it but why risk it. just run the ball. Now you say but they are stopping our RB. thats true. so that means its time for the receivers and the starting RB to help out on blocking for other guys. this will open up a small space for the unknowns to creep thru for the touch down. This was MWP.

remember, kobe is taller and more athletic than rondo or ray allen and paul pierce(not taller but more athletic. so if push comes to shove he can outrebound those guys. if he does that, and the other bigs take care of their business. and MWP is stronger than pierce. now you see how we had the rebounding advantage even on paper.

remember KG, Tony allen, and Rondo are 3 guys who are light in the wallet. So we had guys that could put our weight on them and put a body on guys. then go up for the board. every team has a weakness. and sometimes the weakness moves around from game to game.
lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

hdtvset wrote:

Does Rondo forget how to start when the playoffs get here? Why does he need to start during the season.... Why does he need to start at all? They are virtually the same player... Lets wait until the playoffs to use Rondo up, where he has earned his nickname (Playoff Rondo)
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Guys, I was terribly upset over losing Randle - his toughness, his tangible production, his versatility, and his potential.

But man, I'm really warming up to Rondo - the value of his mentorship and his BBall IQ.

Loving this 'trade'.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject:

hdtvset wrote:

Yes, assuming Ball is healthy.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
hdtvset wrote:

If he’s healthy then yes. Won’t matter much as I expect them to both finish a lot of games together.

Yeah, let’s finish games with 2 guys who can’t hit FTs. More than likely both will be sitting and Hart will be playing.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

hdtvset wrote:

Who starts between the two of them has been a perception vs reputation thing. Rondo has been around forever, played in All-Star games, won a championship, etc. That's the reputation. Meanwhile, Lonzo had a terrific year overall, but his shooting struggles were put under the microscope so intensely that what he didn't do well radically overshadowed what he did do well, despite the latter far outweighing the former. So the perception is that his rookie year was awful.

In reality, though, Lonzo was better than Rondo last year. And since Lonzo is only going to get better as he ages, while Rondo will begin to decline for the same reason, Lonzo is probably going to be better than him throughout their time together as teammates.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

at people worrying about who will start. The better player will. I hope both players play at an all star level and we have a stud at PG on the floor at all times.
Remember how Luke distributed minutes last year. Bench players got a ton of minutes. Not the usual drop off you see between starter and bench minutes. And arguably our roster is even deeper this year.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
hdtvset wrote:

Yeah, let’s finish games with 2 guys who can’t hit FTs. More than likely both will be sitting and Hart will be playing.

I expect improvement from Lonzo as a FT shooter. More importantly they provide reliable ball handling and and decision making and are smart quality defenders, the stuff that wins you close ball games. I think Hart will finish plenty of games too.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

Let's see how the team fares with Rondo and the new additions. He may push Lonzo to up his game.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Quote:

Yeah I really respect him for these insights into that game 7, where the easy stat to find in a box score was shooting percentage, but for those of us who hung on every possession of that game, Kobe played a key role in orchestrating, rebounding while getting the players in position that Boston wasn't keyed in on, and somehow, in spite of going 6 for 24, he outscored every Celtic that played that day. Deep foul trouble for Boston, title for the Lakers.

Not to mention he drew the double team and created/assisted the memorable Artest dagger 3-point shot.

If MJ or LeBron would've been the ones making that pass it would be regarded as one of their legendary moments and would be replayed ad nauseam like MJ's assist to Kerr.

But because Kobe has that special ability to make grown men feel defensive/insecure (especially those who prefer/stan MJ and/or LeBron) then all that's brought up is "herpderpderp 6/24. Bailed out by Artest. Gasol REAL Finals MVP. Derpderp"

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Rajon Rondo: Lakers Will Rely Heavily On Young Core

Quote:
“We’re going to have to ride the young guys throughout the regular season, even in the playoffs. They’re going to play big for us. My expectations are really high for the young guys.
They’ll be where they need to be. Myself, LeBron, Lance, Mike, we’re all going to be vets that’s trying to instill greatness in these young guys. We’re going to push the (stuff) out of them. I’m sure they’ll rise to the occasion.
That’s what they seem like so far. They’ve been in here working their butts off since I’ve been here in early August, so I look forward to getting them to the level they need to play at for us to be contenders.”

https://www.lakersnation.com/rajon-rondo-lakers-will-rely-heavily-on-young-core/2018/09/23/
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:
“We’re going to have to ride the young guys throughout the regular season, even in the playoffs. They’re going to play big for us. My expectations are really high for the young guys.
They’ll be where they need to be. Myself, LeBron, Lance, Mike, we’re all going to be vets that’s trying to instill greatness in these young guys. We’re going to push the (stuff) out of them. I’m sure they’ll rise to the occasion.
That’s what they seem like so far. They’ve been in here working their butts off since I’ve been here in early August, so I look forward to getting them to the level they need to play at for us to be contenders.”

https://www.lakersnation.com/rajon-rondo-lakers-will-rely-heavily-on-young-core/2018/09/23/

He left off Javale. On purpose or on accident???

--Anonymous
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Javale McGee doesn’t instill greatness, he is the greatness...
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Javale McGee doesn’t instill greatness, he is the greatness...

Got it.

--Anonymous
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Everyone wants to play with LeBron, next summer will be even more apparent.

Well, not everyone.

Not everyone, but the quality players will.

KL doesn't either. Neither does Kyrie.

Stop it, no one knows what KL wants...
Not buying the leaning Clippers until I see him sign.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Judah wrote:
I'm sure hearing this makes Pelican fans feel great lol.

Pelicans fans aren’t losing sleep, Rondo was up and down all season. They have Jrue who is much better.

Holiday is much better and they signed Randle, but come playoffs they will miss Rondo. He allowed Jrue the freedom to play off ball and focus on defense, instead of play making loved Jrue since college but he really is a SG who can playmake, not a true facilitator.
hdtvset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
hdtvset wrote:

I expect improvement from Lonzo as a FT shooter. More importantly they provide reliable ball handling and and decision making and are smart quality defenders, the stuff that wins you close ball games. I think Hart will finish plenty of games too.

Since both have problem shooting FT, wouldn't it better to let James playing the point to finish off close games?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 166, 167, 168  Next
Page 40 of 168
Jump to: