Legend of PLAYOFF RONDO (Woj: Trade to Cavs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 166, 167, 168  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject:

Rondo's shooting has been puzzling me for years. I was at the game when the Celtics took on the Seattle Supersonics during the 2007-2008 season. It rains a lot up there so me and my better half went early to beat traffic. I'm there watching the Celtics warming up. I saw Rondo make about 15 straight 17 foot jump shots. Blew me away. I'm thinking to myself, this dude could shoot. But in the game, he deferred to Paul Pierce, etc. (rightfully so). And when they passed it to him he bricked more often than not.

I'm wondering, if he were given a "green light" in his earlier years where would he be now as a shooter? Not saying he'd be Curry or nothing, but I'll never forget seeing him making all those jumpers as they prepared to take on the Sonics.

Fast forward to this year, I am blown away with his 3ball. No, he won't shoot 50% for the year like he's doing right now, but he seems confident in shooting it and his teammates are looking for him to take those shots. Even his misses are "good" misses.

If he can continue to at least be a threat from downtown that'll do wonders for spacing on the 2nd unit. Kuz and Dwight should feast all year.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject:

A U T O M A T I C
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject:

This is why you do not go into a season with predetermined thoughts and assessments. Last year Rondo is different from this year Rondo. There has been a coaching and system change. Rondo has also worked on his shot.

Outside of 3 really bad games, Rondo has been right there with Dwight and Caruso as a consistent contributor to the team. Whether he keeps this up, remains to be seen.

What he can do for the team with his ability to get the ball into players scoring spots, and also organize the offense, and keep Lebron off ball. It is an important part of our team growing into a championship ballclub. Come playoffs team will scheme to stop Lebron and that is when we really really need Rondo to have nights like these.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

The benefits of his solid play are twofold:

-It has allowed LJ to rest while still playing (he doesn't have to work as hard).
-He offers stability while LJ is on the bench.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject:

Rondo the puppet master, dude read defense
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Alex Regla
@AlexmRegla

According to CTG’s data (which filters out garbage time and heaves) the Lakers are a +9.3 w/Rondo on the floor this season. The defense slips just slightly 104.9 vs 104.4. But the offense takes a jump to 114.1 from 112.5 (per 100 possessions).

Quote:
Alex Regla
@AlexmRegla

Rondo w/LeBron this season: +17.7

Last season: -4.8

Quote:
Alex Regla
@AlexmRegla

Small sample of course, and this definitely can change, but so far Rondo’s presence on the floor has not been as disastrous as many have made it out to be.

Dang. What say the haters?
So far so good. Please let it last Rondo.

Last edited by epak on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
This is why you do not go into a season with predetermined thoughts and assessments. Last year Rondo is different from this year Rondo. There has been a coaching and system change. Rondo has also worked on his shot.

Outside of 3 really bad games, Rondo has been right there with Dwight and Caruso as a consistent contributor to the team. Whether he keeps this up, remains to be seen.

What he can do for the team with his ability to get the ball into players scoring spots, and also organize the offense, and keep Lebron off ball. It is an important part of our team growing into a championship ballclub. Come playoffs team will scheme to stop Lebron and that is when we really really need Rondo to have nights like these.

Most of those are from those meaningless games when Rondo came back from injury. Pretty much the same when he played for irrelevant teams. It’s not like Rondo making the same money. He’s a backup on team with no real playmaker beside Lebron. He’s a role player right and some role players just thrive on the system that fit their game. Him and AD looks good together . AD is present and the future. Haters should take that into consideration but it looks like they are just cherrypicking all his bad games and dumb turnovers.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Rondo's shooting has been puzzling me for years. I was at the game when the Celtics took on the Seattle Supersonics during the 2007-2008 season. It rains a lot up there so me and my better half went early to beat traffic. I'm there watching the Celtics warming up. I saw Rondo make about 15 straight 17 foot jump shots. Blew me away. I'm thinking to myself, this dude could shoot. But in the game, he deferred to Paul Pierce, etc. (rightfully so). And when they passed it to him he bricked more often than not.

I'm wondering, if he were given a "green light" in his earlier years where would he be now as a shooter? Not saying he'd be Curry or nothing, but I'll never forget seeing him making all those jumpers as they prepared to take on the Sonics.

Fast forward to this year, I am blown away with his 3ball. No, he won't shoot 50% for the year like he's doing right now, but he seems confident in shooting it and his teammates are looking for him to take those shots. Even his misses are "good" misses.

If he can continue to at least be a threat from downtown that'll do wonders for spacing on the 2nd unit. Kuz and Dwight should feast all year.

Yeah, I believe Rondo participated in a H-O-R-S-E game during one of the All-Star breaks, and I was amazed at all the outside shots he was able to hit. The guy can shoot when he has a shoot-first mentality. Glad he's taking what the defense is giving him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

Rondo for sure has a role on this team. But I want Vogel to have a leash on him when he's not playing defense. And he's done that to be fair.

But Rondo is making the minimum right now so I can't complain given his production. His 3 point shooting is a surprise and for our team's sake, I hope it continues!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

Rondo getting love from Yinoma? I've seen it all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

When deserved, absolutely. He was bad last year, this year he's playing much better. Credit to him. (though we paid him 9m last year for a terrible season and the minimum for a better season!!!).
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

Man, Rondo has been such a pleasant surprise. His defense is nowhere near as bad as last year. Still has physical limitations but he's actually trying to put in effort. He's getting easy baskets for the bigs and Bron and allows Bron to rest more too. Also, looking like an older version of Kidd on offense with the way he has been shooting.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Fully prepared to eat crow on Rondo. If he can hit wide open jumpers or at least make defenses close out on him, everything changes. Is it going to last? Hell, pass the kool-aid
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Rondo has stepped up his game.
With the talent that we have on this team; you either put up or shut up.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Rondo has stepped up his game.
With the talent that we have on this team; you either put up or shut up.

Couldn’t have said it better
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Rajon Rondo is finally showing his value for the Lakers
Quote:
In his 13th year in the NBA, Rajon Rondo is showing the Lakers he’s still got it.
Defensively, Rondo’s not what he used to be, but offensively he’s as good as he’s ever been,
shooting a career-high effective field goal percentage of 55.9% and draining his 3-point attempts at 50% clip (34 total attempts).
Per Synergy, Rondo is in the 100th percentile in unguarded catch-and-shoot 3-point efficiency with 2.5 points per 100 possessions.
It’s small sample size, sure, but it’s about as big of a sample size as anyone has this season.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/12/5/20997811/lakers-rajon-rondo-point-guard-value-3-point-shooting-defense-frank-vogel-lebron-james
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

While he is hot from 3 this year, he did shoot 36% last year. He has improved as a shooter.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

That dude was once a beast on perimeter defense. Super quick hands and steps. Injuries robbed some of his potentially remaining best years.

Idk if Jason Kidds would have anything to do with both Bron and Rondo's offensive choices.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

When deserved, absolutely. He was bad last year, this year he's playing much better. Credit to him. (though we paid him 9m last year for a terrible season and the minimum for a better season!!!).

Coaching culture and talent makes a difference.

Last year Walton was his coach. He did not have the sub patterns, tactics or understanding of defense the way Frank did. Very different coaches. Rondo is thriving under Vogel.

Having AD to help you on D and Dwight to help you as well, and a defensive team around you, exposes your weaknesses less. The D around Rondo is so good he can get help at many spots on the floor. We rotate so fast and communicate that often Rondo is not left on an island or exposed. Rondo is talking on D it is clear. Give him credit he is trying. And he has some amazingly quick hands to disrupt passes.

The 3 point shot of course is the cherry on top. If he keeps this up, he is one of the best backup PGs in the league. Now i do not expect him to, but even if he can make 1 out of 3 three pointers a game in the playoffs and get the ball to the top scoring options, we got value. Having some one that can keep feeding and finding AD and Dwight inside or Lebron, is huge. No one else on the team can do that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
While he is hot from 3 this year, he did shoot 36% last year. He has improved as a shooter.

Well, I think we need time before we can connect the dots and say this improvement is due to his improvement as a shooter versus a hot streak.

Even last year, to start the month of December he was shooting 43% from 3pt range.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

until he wings us a ring he's still celtic scum to me, but im happy with the 3 point shooting I guess
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
until he wings us a ring he's still celtic scum to me, but im happy with the 3 point shooting I guess

Do you root for him to miss?
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject:

is this dude on a cigarettes and twinkies diet? why is he so injury prone??
we'll miss him
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
is this dude on a cigarettes and twinkies diet? why is he so injury prone??
we'll miss him

Tightness in the hamstring he told medical staff.

A grade 1 strain is a few days to 3 weeks, so hopefully he'll only be out for a week
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject:

He’ll get an MRI and sit a few games. Better to be cautious. We don’t want a tear.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 166, 167, 168  Next
Page 100 of 168
Jump to: