NBA Playoff Lottery and a world cup style first round

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: NBA Playoff Lottery and a world cup style first round

Since the end of the Bulls run, the west has been the better conference. I dont think they should get rid of the west and east conference during the regular season but i want the playoff system to change.

In my system the top 8 teams of each conference would to the NBA "Cup" once the season ends: They would have 4 "cup" brackets and the league would hold a lottery to assign each team to them. For example lets say they hold the lottery and the Rockets Lakers 76ers Bucks get assigned to the A bracket. The four teams would play each other until two teams have four loss an get eliminated.

Then the playoffs rounds would start and the two winners of the A bracket (Lakers v Rockets) would play eachother in a 7 game series. The winner of the A bracket would face the winner of the B bracket (Lets say the Celtics win the B bracket so it would be Lakers v Celtics) in a 7 game series to go on to the championship to face the winner of the C/D side of the bracket (lets say it ends up being Lakers vs Warriors) in a 7 game series.

I would do this to get rid of the conference imbalance and to eliminate the most boring part of the playoffs the first round where the best teams beat up the worst teams over and over again.

Or at the very least they should hold a playoff lottery to assign teams to different playoff brackets to get rid of the conference imbalance.

What do you guys think?
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

I think the only reason conference will still exist will be the possibility of a Lakers-Celtics finals.

I love basketball. *Metta voice*
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

I think what they should probably do, and what they will end up seriously considering is keeping the conferences, and once all 16 teams are in they will then rank them by overall record.

Although, I do think the NBA wants to find a way to make the regular season more valuable without reducing the amount of games. This could be a way. Another thing I've heard tossed around is an in-season tournament which every basketball level does until the pros. Im not sure what the point would be but it could interesting.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:
I think what they should probably do, and what they will end up seriously considering is keeping the conferences, and once all 16 teams are in they will then rank them by overall record.

Although, I do think the NBA wants to find a way to make the regular season more valuable without reducing the amount of games. This could be a way. Another thing I've heard tossed around is an in-season tournament which every basketball level does until the pros. Im not sure what the point would be but it could interesting.

I was in favor of the re-ranking of the 16 playoff teams.
But one con I'm thinking of is that it will most likely take about from the in conference rivalries.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: