Director of Analytics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

Chemistry is more important than Analytics as Houston learned when they first went with strict analytics.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
HOF Rookie wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Give me a high BBIQ player over some nerd from MIT any day of the week.

Did you steal that quote from Tank Commander Scott?

And you have issues if you think some guy behind a computer knows more about what works in basketball better than Lebron, Kobe, etc. The Warriors style of play was supposed to be light years ahead, but just the very next season, the league caught up in terms of style of play. The difference is, not every team is suited to play like the Warriors. Give Lebron another MVP caliber player and things will start to look different. Lebron was clearly the MVP in 2015 when his second best player was Delly and he figured out a way to counter the Warriors style of play. The next season, with a full squad he won a title over the darlings of analytics. Are analytics important, of course. But you need smart players who can help execute and comprehend the analytics report.

Houston rather than the league caught up to Golden State and Morey is heavily into analytics.
sogood.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

Our signings says we don't have one.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Look at the Lakers free agency and it's clear this team doesnt use analytics.

Outside of LeBron (lol) yup
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

I liked when Chick was Director of Analytics...I'd close my eyes (yes, with the TV on) and listen to Chick call the game and tell me everything I needed to know
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Analytics is only part of the equation. I’m sure whatever system the Lakers have in place is adequate enough for the time being. The Lakers seem to draft pretty well at the end of drafts so whatever system they have in place seems to be working. Give me a high BBIQ player over some nerd from MIT any day of the week. You can’t tell me that analytics can beat what players like Lebron, Kobe, Rondo, and Magic may already know.

Analytics tells those players what they don’t know
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Billy Madison is their director of analytics.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject:

It feels like Byron Scott is in charge based off all the "gritty and tough defenders" the Lakers signed. Keep your girly spot up shooters. This is a man's game .

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
It feels like Byron Scott is in charge based off all the "gritty and tough defenders" the Lakers signed. Keep your girly spot up shooters. This is a man's game .

It was really just the Lance signing I didn't like. I see the value for investing in Rondo. Really we could have used a backup like Rondo last year.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Analytics is only part of the equation. I’m sure whatever system the Lakers have in place is adequate enough for the time being. The Lakers seem to draft pretty well at the end of drafts so whatever system they have in place seems to be working. Give me a high BBIQ player over some nerd from MIT any day of the week. You can’t tell me that analytics can beat what players like Lebron, Kobe, Rondo, and Magic may already know.

I'd hope analytics confirmed what they know.
Ideally, I'd want a basketball mind who uses all types of tools, including analytics.
As opposed to either or.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Ideally, I'd want a basketball mind who uses all types of tools, including analytics.
As opposed to either or.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the good old-fashioned eye test, assuming the eye in question is trained and/or naturally gifted enough to spot real talent and ability. The problem is getting caught up in out-dated basketball ideologies and the Byron Scott mentality of valuing things like toughness and grit over actual skills that are useful in today's game. Don't get me wrong - intangibles are important, but they can only get you so far when there are significant deficiencies in other, more important areas.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Hire Larry Coon or Tim Cranjis.

Would 1000% support Cranjis as at least a staff member.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

As opposed to either or.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the good old-fashioned eye test, assuming the eye in question is trained and/or naturally gifted enough to spot real talent and ability. The problem is getting caught up in out-dated basketball ideologies and the Byron Scott mentality of valuing things like toughness and grit over actual skills that are useful in today's game. Don't get me wrong - intangibles are important, but they can only get you so far when there are significant deficiencies in other, more important areas.

I don't think that's the way they built the team at all. Magic indicated in tonight's interview that their philosophy in building the roster was influenced by the teams who made deep runs in the playoffs this year, namely Boston and Houston. Agree with their interpretations of what made those teams successful or not, it didn't flow from a close-minded commitment to ”old school” 80’s/90’s basketball like Byron's basketball philosophy did.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

if LA signs the best basketball player in the world, their organization should be the best in the world.

Too bad Golden State signed that guy in 2015, now no other team has a chance.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

if LA signs the best basketball player in the world, their organization should be the best in the world.

Too bad Golden State signed that guy in 2015, now no other team has a chance.

Houston 7 games ring a bell?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject:

I’d like to remind everyone that 538 was embarrassingly wrong on several accounts in 2016. How does one write an algorithm to predict an NBA nut punch?
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
Hire Larry Coon or Tim Cranjis.

Would 1000% support Cranjis as at least a staff member.

He recently tweeted h a more focused on his career (cranjis) than the basketball thing. I’m sure there’s a significant difference in pay.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

I just wanna know who the guy is, who's doing the job. Is the spot filled, by who(m?)
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

I'd love to know too, but are they obligated to make known who is hired at every position behind the scenes?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

Dumhead wrote:
I'd love to know too, but are they obligated to make known who is hired at every position behind the scenes?

Let’s hold Magic’s feet to the fire! He hasn’t done enough for the Lakers yet!!! 😝
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

As opposed to either or.

I don't think that's the way they built the team at all. Magic indicated in tonight's interview that their philosophy in building the roster was influenced by the teams who made deep runs in the playoffs this year, namely Boston and Houston. Agree with their interpretations of what made those teams successful or not, it didn't flow from a close-minded commitment to ”old school” 80’s/90’s basketball like Byron's basketball philosophy did.

I was talking in general terms, not reflecting on what Maginka specifically did this summer. I like the signings other than Lance, which made and still makes no sense to me.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Dumhead wrote:

Ya this kind of thing for big hires is usually announced - both departures and hires. That's why it's particularly odd. The departure was announced - no word about who's the fill in Director or a new hire lol
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

fwiw...

June 23, 2017.

Pelinka: All of us knew he had a transcendent gift in terms of court vision and passing. I think with our scouting department, led by Jesse Buss and Joey Buss helping too with some of the analytics, we worked really hard as a team to get to the ultimate decision point.

Draft Evaluation and Offseason Outlook With Rob Pelinka

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170631-rob-pelinka
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Magic knows what analytics is.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: