Kevin Garnett rumour from a raptor board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
As someone in that Toronto Raptors thread stated, if this deal were actually going to go down, it would happen in the offseason. Minnesota would spark a league-wide bidding war and take the best offer. There's no reason for them to rush a trade for their franchise player in the middle of the season.

Unless KG is forcing the issue.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
As someone in that Toronto Raptors thread stated, if this deal were actually going to go down, it would happen in the offseason. Minnesota would spark a league-wide bidding war and take the best offer. There's no reason for them to rush a trade for their franchise player in the middle of the season.

Right on the button. Sadly, this will get swept away by what if's and could be's within minutes.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject:

It has to be KG. He looks weary and exhaused whenever I catch a TPup game. He just isn't himself, and the team has played rather poorly since the trade with Boston. Here's the evidence:

1) KG has the leverage. With an opt-out clause in 2008, he can signal to the Lakers (via his agent) that they should create cap space for him.

2) Hmmmm... Does anyone remember a publically leaked rumor about dumping a certain max player on the Laker squad? Not that Mitch would actually trade Lamar for Penny and Frye, the threat of doing so is intended to make Lurch and Taylor very nervous.

If they flush out Lamar, they can easily meet KG's current salary and even give him a longer-term contract than he has now. Further, they figure to lose Lamar anyway if the Lakers engineer a trade (three-way) with the TPups. So threatening to trade Lamar in a salary dump becomes a sane tactic to scare Minne into action.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Plus as every year goes by, KG's contracts get 2 million dollars bigger...factor in his age, it gets harder to move him. Mchale should do it right now. Do it......do it.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Where does this fantasy that every superstar in the league would do anything to play for the Lakers? KG already has the endorsements. I would imagine that if he's looking elsewhere, he's looking for someplace where he can grab a ring.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject:

Um... Why would KG not believe he has a shot to win a ring with the Lakers?

He saw what Shaq and Kobe did... I doubt KG doesn't see him and Kobe as an even better combo... especially because Kobe is better today then he was then... One thing I didn't like about the Kobe/Shaq combo is the lack of athletisism with Shaq... he would slowly lumber down the court... KG plays at a more Kobe-like pace. It'd be a great fit..

also people are acting like we don't have near enough role players... Do you actually think guys like Mihm and even K. Brown won't benefit with KG beside them? There numbers would likely go up. We'd be thin at SG like people mention but Spree might be willing to play have a season for 2.5 in Lakerland... especially because it'd be the perfect place for him to showcase his ability before free agency.

If Minnesota would do this, you pull the trigger. Everyone talks about Bynums potential... but we ignore the idea that to have him reach it on the lakers... we possibly wreck Kobe's potential to be amoung the top 2-3 most decorated players of all time. If not #1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39222/20060219/garnett_in_it_for_the_long_haul/
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject:

dino wrote:
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39222/20060219/garnett_in_it_for_the_long_haul/

that ends that... lock time. don't I feel like a
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dadliboi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Sage_10 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Where does this fantasy that every superstar in the league would do anything to play for the Lakers? KG already has the endorsements. I would imagine that if he's looking elsewhere, he's looking for someplace where he can grab a ring.

Are you suggesting that KG can't win a ring teaming with Kobe and some role players?

I'm not saying that Kobe and KG will automatically win a ring, but they would surely have just as good a shot as anybody.
ningtong88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:

If this rumor is totally BS, then how come LD2000, Emplay, and Lionel haven't come in and said this rumor was false?
mrdectown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
dino wrote:

that ends that... lock time. don't I feel like a
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject:

Who's to say it's up to KG?

If they got an offer they couldn't refuse - I don't see why they wouldn't consider and maybe even pull the triggar.

It may not be this exact rumored deal ..... but I can see the Wolves trading KG even without him being behind the move.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject:

ningtong88 wrote:
If this rumor is totally BS, then how come LD2000, Emplay, and Lionel haven't come in and said this rumor was false?

Silence does speak volumes at times, doesn't it? I was wondering the same thing...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject:

^
I respect all insiders, but just because they don't post in a thread doesn't make it true or false.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
If Kevin Garnett has 6-7 good years left. Kobe is 28 yrs old and likely has another 7-8 good years left.

Why wouldn't the Lakers attempt to maximize the results over the next 6-8 years instead of banking on a "PROSPECT" who may or may not pan out?

You have a much higher chance of winning a title with Kobe & KG.

IMO, the team has a better chance of winning with Kobe, Bynum, + All Star player in 2007. That's been the aim of the cap space plans. Get a great player and add him to Kobe and Bynum. With Kobe and KG, we won't be able to add any other star player and only role players. That's how a rookie player with great potential and salary cap friendly contract can have a big impact on the future.

Kobe and Bynum do not even exist as a duo on the Lakers. And they won't in 2007 or 2008 either. If adding a star is the plan and KG is available, you take him for Bynum and Odom. With Kobe and KG you won't need to add any other stars! Role players is exactly what you need. We don't even have those right now, so getting a Super star in KG would immediately be better than any plan we have for 2007.

Lebron is not coming here. No young stud is coming here. They need to make their money now while their young and they won't do it with the Lakers.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
It has to be KG. He looks weary and exhaused whenever I catch a TPup game. He just isn't himself, and the team has played rather poorly since the trade with Boston. Here's the evidence:

1) KG has the leverage. With an opt-out clause in 2008, he can signal to the Lakers (via his agent) that they should create cap space for him.

2) Hmmmm... Does anyone remember a publically leaked rumor about dumping a certain max player on the Laker squad? Not that Mitch would actually trade Lamar for Penny and Frye, the threat of doing so is intended to make Lurch and Taylor very nervous.

If they flush out Lamar, they can easily meet KG's current salary and even give him a longer-term contract than he has now. Further, they figure to lose Lamar anyway if the Lakers engineer a trade (three-way) with the TPups. So threatening to trade Lamar in a salary dump becomes a sane tactic to scare Minne into action.

If Mitch is threatening to just dump Lamar's salary in a trade, why not do it with Chicago? I would much rather have Hinrich or Gordon and take on Tim Thomas's huge expiring than Penny Hardawy and Frye. Plus the Knicks are likely to hang onto Frye, while the Bulls seem to be shopping anybody.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

If Mitch is threatening to just dump Lamar's salary in a trade, why not do it with Chicago? I would much rather have Hinrich or Gordon and take on Tim Thomas's huge expiring than Penny Hardawy and Frye. Plus the Knicks are likely to hang onto Frye, while the Bulls seem to be shopping anybody.

You're missing the point. It looks like a three-way, and we're not the team deciding on the merits of the expiring contract. Tim Thomas is a known cancer... and in this scenario, we're looking to add KG, not Hinrich (who is not on the block) or Gordon.

So why would you care about Tim Thomas' expiring contract in a three-way trade from a Laker perspective? I frankly don't understand what you're trying to say in your post. If the TPup's rebuild after trading KG, they'd look for draft picks and quality prospects. Bynum and Frye definitely qualify as quality prospects. No sane GM would care one way or the other about Tim Thomas, as he's proven himself to be both a cancer and someone disliked by the fans everywhere he's played.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
I respect all insiders, but just because they don't post in a thread doesn't make it true or false.

Hey, We're trying hard to keep hope alive for this fantasy. Don't rain on our parade
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
If Kevin Garnett has 6-7 good years left. Kobe is 28 yrs old and likely has another 7-8 good years left.

Why wouldn't the Lakers attempt to maximize the results over the next 6-8 years instead of banking on a "PROSPECT" who may or may not pan out?

You have a much higher chance of winning a title with Kobe & KG.

IMO, the team has a better chance of winning with Kobe, Bynum, + All Star player in 2007. That's been the aim of the cap space plans. Get a great player and add him to Kobe and Bynum. With Kobe and KG, we won't be able to add any other star player and only role players. That's how a rookie player with great potential and salary cap friendly contract can have a big impact on the future.

Kobe and Bynum do not even exist as a duo on the Lakers. And they won't in 2007 or 2008 either. If adding a star is the plan and KG is available, you take him for Bynum and Odom. With Kobe and KG you won't need to add any other stars! Role players is exactly what you need. We don't even have those right now, so getting a Super star in KG would immediately be better than any plan we have for 2007.

Lebron is not coming here. No young stud is coming here. They need to make their money now while their young and they won't do it with the Lakers.

Riiiiggghhhtttt.... so no young stud is coming here, and yet KG conveniently is even though McHale hates the Lakers, KG came out and said that he wanted to stay in Minny, or the fact that other teams can come up with some pretty good trade bait as well? Bad argument.

And it's not just about Kobe and Bynum. Once more, it's Kobe + Bynum + All Star. That is better than only Kobe + KG. The Lakers want to keep Bynum and trade Odom for that All Star. That is the correct path to choose.

Your argument of Kobe and KG don't need another star is a bad argument. Are you saying if a player like Shawn Marion became available you wouldn't want to add him to Kobe and KG because they were enough? If Kobe and Shaq couldn't do it by themselves during 03 and 04, then what makes you think Kobe and KG can do it with inferior role player help? Kobe and KG is not enough.

Seriously, analyze the roster with Kobe and KG, assuming the trade in the original post happened. Tell us how this team would be better than the Spurs or the Pistons. Break it down. None of this rhetoric of Kobe and KG are instant championship contenders.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Your argument of Kobe and KG don't need another star is a bad argument. Are you saying if a player like Shawn Marion became available you wouldn't want to add him to Kobe and KG because they were enough? If Kobe and Shaq couldn't do it by themselves during 03 and 04, then what makes you think Kobe and KG can do it with inferior role player help? Kobe and KG is not enough.

Seriously, analyze the roster with Kobe and KG, assuming the trade in the original post happened. Tell us how this team would be better than the Spurs or the Pistons. Break it down. None of this rhetoric of Kobe and KG are instant championship contenders.

That is all true.

But at the same time, once you have Bryant and KG - You need to use the MLE wisely and probably make one small trade to be better than the Spurs or Pistions.

I don't think the Lakers would win this season with KG - But next season I would say within 1-2 marginal moves they would be able to put forth a championship roster.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

I could be wrong... and KG is really working overtime to explain why he wants to stay in Minne. Then again, if KG told Taylor (the owner) that he wanted to leave on good terms, I could see both parties working on a mutually beneficial exit strategy. That means keeping it quiet until the last minute, and both sides agreeing to say wonderful things about each other and the decision to trade him.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

That is all true.

But at the same time, once you have Bryant and KG - You need to use the MLE wisely and probably make one small trade to be better than the Spurs or Pistions.

I don't think the Lakers would win this season with KG - But next season I would say within 1-2 marginal moves they would be able to put forth a championship roster.

True but even w/o making the moves the Lakers are in contention which is not where they are at right now.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

That is all true.

That team would indeed be closer, but then one has to ask, who do we get with our MLE. History has shown that when the Lakers needed an MLE player, other teams stepped up and have taken those players away from us. Kendall Gill and Joe Amechi were two FA players who used the Lakers as bargaining chips to increase their own pay out from other teams. Heck, there was a time when we had to get Samaki Walker since the FA interest in LA was weak. So I'm not completely convinced that we can get that MLE player, especially if teams realize the Lakers can become contenders once more.

Now the same applies to if the Lakers get Kobe + All Star + Bynum. However, with this set up, I feel we would have at least 3 positions filled and a little more cap space due to Bynum's rookie contract and Brian Grant's contract coming off the books. Armed with that we will at least have a chance in the FA market to get a good role player. This might not be enough to beat the Spurs or Pistons, but I do feel it can be competitive without giving up the future in Bynum as well.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Riiiiggghhhtttt.... so no young stud is coming here, and yet KG conveniently is even though McHale hates the Lakers, KG came out and said that he wanted to stay in Minny, or the fact that other teams can come up with some pretty good trade bait as well? Bad argument.

And it's not just about Kobe and Bynum. Once more, it's Kobe + Bynum + All Star. That is better than only Kobe + KG. The Lakers want to keep Bynum and trade Odom for that All Star. That is the correct path to choose.

No one said KG is for sure coming here. "If KG is available" was what was said actually.

What All Star is going to be traded for Lamar Odom alone? None that would make an impact that KG would. Besides, what is the purpose of adding and an All Star to play with Kobe and a guy who plays 5 minutes a game? Bynum does not even enter into the equation and I don't forsee him getting much more playing time under Phil the next two seasons.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject:

Oh give me a break. Not only could I go online and make up the same crap but this is just ridiculous and the guy has no credibility.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: