Med School Application Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Med School Application Advice

What's up LG Fam,

Even though I don't post very often, I've been browsing these forums for over a decade now. Whether it's QFTOS, the game threads, or crazy trade theories people post (looking at you, 2.0 ) I've really enjoyed being able to come here for my Lakers information and discussions. Thanks for being the best Lakers community on the web

I'm currently a medical student in my third year, and I just wanted to give back to this community in any way that I could. So if you are thinking about applying to medical school yourself, or have children/friends who are planning on applying to medical school, feel free to either post your questions on this thread or shoot me a PM!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

Docs, y’all still recommend the medical field? Med/PA/NP route? I do,

For med school, just be prepared to start your career in your 30s instead of 20s, you will miss bdays/weddings/holidays here and there, also be prepared to have to do a 30yr plan for your student loans but you will be in the upper part of middle class

And remember, the hardest part is getting in, after that it’s just a marathon of studying but everybody can do it. I would retake MCAT until you hit your best score, work as a scribe in a medical facility (it’s paid vs volunteer and you still can get your letter of recs), apply to as many schools as you can (borrow money if have to) and don’t give up, might take couple years (you might need to take a postbac/master to boost your grade)

Basically once you’ve made up your mind knowing all the hurdles, go all the way, don’t give up
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Do med schools still reserve slots for non-Bio major applicants? My info on the process is 30 years old.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

For med school, just be prepared to start your career in your 30s instead of 20s, you will miss bdays/weddings/holidays here and there, also be prepared to have to do a 30yr plan for your student loans but you will be in the upper part of middle class

And remember, the hardest part is getting in, after that it’s just a marathon of studying but everybody can do it. I would retake MCAT until you hit your best score, work as a scribe in a medical facility (it’s paid vs volunteer and you still can get your letter of recs), apply to as many schools as you can (borrow money if have to) and don’t give up, might take couple years (you might need to take a postbac/master to boost your grade)

Basically once you’ve made up your mind knowing all the hurdles, go all the way, don’t give up

You need 30 year loans even with a doctor’s salary?...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
governator wrote:

You need 30 year loans even with a doctor’s salary?...

Depends how well you manage your finances. You can live like a resident for 4-5 years after residency and knock them out quick. Or you can drag them out, which isn't a good decision because you end up paying more than double what you originally owed.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject:

To give a little financial perspective, the median physician salary is 3 to 3.5 times the median household income in the United States. I’m using a range because you get slightly different numbers depending upon the source. To put it another way, the median doctor salary is in the 96th percentile of US income.

The median student debt is around 1-1.5 times the annual median salary. An average starting physician could pay back that loan in ten years while making around double what the average household does, after the loan payments.

I am grateful and amazed by what our medical professionals are doing and going through and risking during this pandemic. But financially, doctors are doing quite well even with massive debt.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Consider going to Med School in Germany and start out life without a gargantuan mountain of debt.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: