2018 Lakers Better Version of 2004 Detroit Pistons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

We'd don't know what this team is gonna be. The "experts" on tv don't know what this team is gonna be. Hell Magic, Luke and Lebron don't know what this team is gonna be. We might not know for sure until early 2019.

I get the insistence to classify this team and immediately fit it into the NBA landscape but we, along with everyone else, don't have a clue. I'm just planning on enjoying the ride.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Besides the fact that the two rosters not being similar at all, this is a bad comparison because we'd be lucky if our team can crack the top 7 as a defensive team.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
Scoffs wrote:
Pistons had a post presence in Ben Wallace and Chauncey was Mr. Clutch in the 4th. As good as Lebron is, I don't think of him as clutch except when he plays the Raptors.

I think that 2004 Pistons team could challenge the Warriors.

Warriors offense is too much for the 2004 pistons who wouldn’t be able to keep up with the onslaught of attacks. Warriors are much faster and able to kill you in a multitude of ways that negate Rasheed and Tayshaun and Ben Wallace, not to mention Draymond would kick or grab or punch each of them in the balls at some point in the series and then yell at the ceiling for no reason.

Really we need Kawhi, a solid inside presence, and some elite knock down shooters to even talk about competing with GS. We can play the greatest defense ever but it wouldn’t matter because they have 3 guys who can score at will from anywhere(KD, Steph, Klay)

Two teams I would like to see go up against them are 96 Bulls and 2001 Lakers.

I don't think the Warriors ever faced a defense like that Detroit team. They struggled against Houston and they struggled against the Spurs with Kawhi. That Detroit team is much better defensively than either of those teams.

I still think the Warriors win the series, but it'd go at least 6 games.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject:

This team is nothing like the Pistons....
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Okay, for humor’s sake... The 2018 Lakers V.S. The 2004 Pistons

Bron >>>>>Big Ben
Kuzma < Sheed
Ingram=Prince
KCP<<<RIP
Ball<Billups

So by my weird NBA math, the teams are even. 😝
Probably a different story by the end of the season.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
Scoffs wrote:
Pistons had a post presence in Ben Wallace and Chauncey was Mr. Clutch in the 4th. As good as Lebron is, I don't think of him as clutch except when he plays the Raptors.

I think that 2004 Pistons team could challenge the Warriors.

Warriors offense is too much for the 2004 pistons who wouldn’t be able to keep up with the onslaught of attacks. Warriors are much faster and able to kill you in a multitude of ways that negate Rasheed and Tayshaun and Ben Wallace, not to mention Draymond would kick or grab or punch each of them in the balls at some point in the series and then yell at the ceiling for no reason.

Really we need Kawhi, a solid inside presence, and some elite knock down shooters to even talk about competing with GS. We can play the greatest defense ever but it wouldn’t matter because they have 3 guys who can score at will from anywhere(KD, Steph, Klay)

Two teams I would like to see go up against them are 96 Bulls and 2001 Lakers.

I don't think the Warriors ever faced a defense like that Detroit team. They struggled against Houston and they struggled against the Spurs with Kawhi. That Detroit team is much better defensively than either of those teams.

I still think the Warriors win the series, but it'd go at least 6 games.

That team didn't have close to enough offense to push the Warriors to six games. It's not just about getting stops. You have to score too and the Warriors are arguably the best defensive team in the league. That Detroit team was a defensive powerhouse, but only in concert with the era they played in. The name of the game isn't post ups, long two’s, walking the ball up, and keeping it on one side of the floor anymore. It's a totally different game now. They'd get eviscerated by the Warriors in 4 games and I don't even think any of the games would be close.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Not very many similarities other than our hopes that this squad will do what Detroit did and beat the team with the four all-stars come playoff time.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Do the 2004 Detroit Pistons beat the Warriors?
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

I must have missed it when Zubacs turned into Ben Wallace
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
I must have missed it when Zubacs turned into Ben Wallace

NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

No way!! GSW too much fire power!!
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Not very many similarities other than our hopes that this squad will do what Detroit did and beat the team with the four all-stars come playoff time.

People are also forgetting some key circumstances that played into why the Lakers lost. Malone injured, Shaq and Kobe at the peak of dysfunction and turmoil, and Payton not being able to ever fit into Phil’s system. These are the reasons the Lakers lost, and lost badly.
NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

People are also forgetting some key circumstances that played into why the Lakers lost. Malone injured, Shaq and Kobe at the peak of dysfunction and turmoil, and Payton not being able to ever fit into Phil’s system. These are the reasons the Lakers lost, and lost badly.

Very true!! That locker room was completely torn. The chemistry was gone, the thrill was gone!! Let’s not forget that 2004 team was OLD as well!!
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Maybe if they get a +20 free-throw differential in every game
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Lakers Better Version of 2004 Detroit Pistons

dakid wrote:
Makes me wonder if Kobe and Magic sat down and analyzed past times a great offense was taken down by a great defense and picked that Piston team to help design this Laker roster.

What?
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Think about whom the best defender on our team now is.

And you'll see we aren't the 2004 Detroit Pistons.

Best defender is either Lonzo or Rondo...so nope, not even close to those Pistons.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
DanielKetch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Lakers not best starting talent... possible best talent overall?

I think our only shot of beating the Warriors is by wearing them down. Silly as it sounds, outside of their big 4 (Steph, KD, Klay, Draymond) they are pretty thin. Iggy is not the same Iggy that won Finals MVP. They lost Javelle. Boogie won't contribute for at least half the season (if at all) and he doesn't give them a rim protector...

We already played them hard with our young core last season... maybe it was them not taking us seriously-- but I think it also had to do with us getting up for the game, and actually having some players that provide match-up problems. Also it could be that Luke knows how to game plan for his old team.

Add the best player in the game and some battle tested vets to the mix, it's an interesting proposition.

Right now we have two full squads: basically our young core (minus Randle, but plus Svi & Mo, which is a nice addition)
plus Lebron, Rondo, Lance, Javelle, KCP
A great mix of Youth and not just experience, playoff experience. And most of the squad are defensive minded and gritty.

Maybe we can't put a starting 5 out that trumps their starting 5, but when you go 9-10 deep with the type of players we have, we will wear them out. We already saw their fatigue starting to show all last season... how hungry are they going to be this year?

Interested to see what the staff draws up, but I'm know it will be exciting to watch.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

The 2004 Detroit Pistons was exactly who I thought of when I first saw this team assembled.
dakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
The 2004 Detroit Pistons was exactly who I thought of when I first saw this team assembled.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

I wondered what you were referencing....
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:

As long as we don’t think we’re the Pat Riley Knicks I’ll be fine. We can’t bully players like Ewing, Oakley, and Mason did.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject:

DanielKetch wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Lakers not best starting talent... possible best talent overall?

I think our only shot of beating the Warriors is by wearing them down. Silly as it sounds, outside of their big 4 (Steph, KD, Klay, Draymond) they are pretty thin. Iggy is not the same Iggy that won Finals MVP. They lost Javelle. Boogie won't contribute for at least half the season (if at all) and he doesn't give them a rim protector...

We already played them hard with our young core last season... maybe it was them not taking us seriously-- but I think it also had to do with us getting up for the game, and actually having some players that provide match-up problems. Also it could be that Luke knows how to game plan for his old team.

Add the best player in the game and some battle tested vets to the mix, it's an interesting proposition.

Right now we have two full squads: basically our young core (minus Randle, but plus Svi & Mo, which is a nice addition)
plus Lebron, Rondo, Lance, Javelle, KCP
A great mix of Youth and not just experience, playoff experience. And most of the squad are defensive minded and gritty.

Maybe we can't put a starting 5 out that trumps their starting 5, but when you go 9-10 deep with the type of players we have, we will wear them out. We already saw their fatigue starting to show all last season... how hungry are they going to be this year?

Interested to see what the staff draws up, but I'm know it will be exciting to watch.

Good post! Agree with most, especially "wearing them down".

I live in the SF Bay Area, and watch some warrior games live (5 - 10 games), pretty close down..and i've seen them slow down, specifically this year. Curry's been a delicate player and never more so than now. Age + wear/tear shows. Having played and won 3 out of 4, wears you down mentally. I'd say, they are an injury (malone circa 04) away from getting punched in the mouth like what happened to the 04 Lakers. On the flip side, the 04 pistons weren't as great as they are made out to be 14 years thence. (Frankly, the older I get the more amazing showtime w/ magic appear to me).. Timing has a lot to do with it.

Heck, the Rockets circa 17-18 are not near the defensive presence I expect from our current lakers, and yet, they were a CP3 hammy away from taking down these "vaunted" Warriors. Frankly i think the Warriors are ripe for the pickings and bully ball is the way to do it. A pity we don't have Julius, but i'm ok with the 4 that replaces him

So, while our present team may not be the 04 Pistons, the physical circumstances around the incumbent (us back then, and the warriors now) aren't that different.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject:

I agree if you mean that we have a well put together team that will play much better than expected. I think we will be the best defense in the nba.

We basically have 2 starting lineups and we’re going to run teams into the ground. I’d have rondo come off the bench and extend leads when lebron sits

Constant onslaught of tough nosed defense all game long. I wish we had the types of guards who could pick up 94 feet all game long tbh
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject:

I think we are going to be a great perimeter defensive team this year. However, we will be weak in rim protection and rebounding (although slightly better than last year).
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject:

You need to have the offensive firepower to score on the Warriors, and you need tough as hell defense to lock them up. Add to that LeBron James who is the best player in the planet and you end up beating the Warriors. The issue is we need another superstar to go alongside him, we are still lacking elite shooters/defenders, and we need a strong inside presence. This is where prime Shaq would be really helpful right now he would eat them alive in the paint and make up a nickname for them like he did with the Kings(Queens).

Right now we have LeBron James, a psycho weird Lance, a salty angsty Rondo, and a Shaqtin' a Fool HoF'er Javale McGee. I'd love it for Ingram and Kuzma to break out this year and be badass but I think they are going to need more time to get there.

This team as currently constructed can get to the 2nd round, even the WCF but I hate to say, but they would get KILLED in the WCF against GS. LBJ would have to call Kobe up and sign him to a 10 day contract just for that series alone.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: