Could Aaron Mintz have a past grudge with Rob Pelinaka?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
He probably didn't like how they shipped off D'Angelo Russell, or they had a rivalry when Rob was an agent - which could be more likely.

I don't think it's so much them moving Russell. It was their classless way of going about throwing constant shade at him and never being quiet about diminishing him. They kept mentioning him more than he ever mentioned them as he kept the high ground and they took the low. Unneccesary, if he had a grudge for that I'd understand.

but their quarrel if they have any isn't why Randle's no longer here. Randle's no longer here because they refused to give him a 2nd year and tried to undercut him again. That's pretty much it.

Other than Magic’s comments at Lonzo’s presser and B. Shaw having that slip up on NBATV, what other examples are there of the Lakers ”constantly throwing shade” at Russell and ”never being quiet about diminishing him”? Seems like you're exaggerating...again.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
He probably didn't like how they shipped off D'Angelo Russell, or they had a rivalry when Rob was an agent - which could be more likely.

I don't think it's so much them moving Russell. It was their classless way of going about throwing constant shade at him and never being quiet about diminishing him. They kept mentioning him more than he ever mentioned them as he kept the high ground and they took the low. Unneccesary, if he had a grudge for that I'd understand.

but their quarrel if they have any isn't why Randle's no longer here. Randle's no longer here because they refused to give him a 2nd year and tried to undercut him again. That's pretty much it.

Other than Magic’s comments at Lonzo’s presser and B. Shaw having that slip up on NBATV, what other examples are there of the Lakers ”constantly throwing shade” at Russell and ”never being quiet about diminishing him”? Seems like you're exaggerating...again.

nah.

Magic kept bashing DLO, while also hyping Lonzo.

Pelinka's comments were fine, but Magic ....

It was weird...
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

yet another Rosetta Stone thread...
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
Rob Pelinaka, lol.

Rob Pelican.

Randle to the Pelicans.

Conspiracy?

Nah. Its more like the Transitive Property that they teach you in school
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

nah.

Magic kept bashing DLO, while also hyping Lonzo.

Pelinka's comments were fine, but Magic ....

It was weird...

What other times did Magic bash Russell?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Could Aaron Mintz have a past grudge with Rob Pelinaka?

crucifixion wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Aaron Mintz - agent of Julius Randle and Paul George.

https://twitter.com/ericpincus/status/1018168101899243522?s=21

What was the original comment? God I hate Twitter it's so backwards trying to follow conversation. I found who Pincus replied to but that guy was replying to another comment so trying to find that so I can understand what the whole conversation is.

He is talking about the Lakers releasing Randle without forcing him to get an offer sheet. I'm really not sure what Eric was trying to say, but it seems like a big hot steaming bowl of nothing.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
This really isn't worth discussing anymore. Russell is gone, George stayed in OKC, and now Randle is gone. The Lakers don't have any players left who are represented by Mintz. Just move on. It's over with.

We should never be okay with burning bridges in a league that is pretty tightly connected. It's not like in real life when you can tell your employer to piss off and apply at 1000 other companies. Even if Mintz was some small time agent, it's never good to develop a hard-nosed reputation as a destination FO.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

I find it so ludicrous that players would stake millions of dollars on an agent who is not looking out for their best interest. Randle ending up in New Orleans is a travesty and Paul George remaining in OKC is asinine!
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

This has been discussed for a year now.

It came up big when the tampering stuff started.

Surprised it doesn't have it's own (very stale) thread already.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Agents need to keep their door open for the sake of their clients, it
just makes sense. However, they are human and could play
favorites..
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Could Aaron Mintz have a past grudge with Rob Pelinaka?

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

What was the original comment? God I hate Twitter it's so backwards trying to follow conversation. I found who Pincus replied to but that guy was replying to another comment so trying to find that so I can understand what the whole conversation is.

He is talking about the Lakers releasing Randle without forcing him to get an offer sheet. I'm really not sure what Eric was trying to say, but it seems like a big hot steaming bowl of nothing.

Eric was saying that even if we assume there was a grudge between Pelinka and Mintz, there are still a lot of other plausible variables that could explain why the Lakers let Randle walk. Perhaps doing a favor for the entire agency, or for the Pelicans (you never know what might happen with AD down the line) or as a signal to other agents around the league that the Lakers are willing to do right by their clients.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
I find it so ludicrous that players would stake millions of dollars on an agent who is not looking out for their best interest. Randle ending up in New Orleans is a travesty and Paul George remaining in OKC is asinine!

If it's just about money, signing with an LA team (or for the Warriors or Knicks, for that matter) is a losing proposition just in general. The players should sign in the low tax, low cost of living states. Only guys who can capitalize on the endorsements are going to come out ahead. That list would not include Paul George or Julius Randle.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Could Aaron Mintz have a past grudge with Rob Pelinaka?

Ziggy wrote:
Eric was saying that even if we assume there was a grudge between Pelinka and Mintz, there are still a lot of other plausible variables that could explain why the Lakers let Randle walk. Perhaps doing a favor for the entire agency, or for the Pelicans (you never know what might happen with AD down the line) or as a signal to other agents around the league that the Lakers are willing to do right by their clients.

Eric tends to overthink things. The Lakers decided not to keep Randle. They needed to renounce him to sign everyone. Yeah, they could have waited a little longer, but why?
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Could Aaron Mintz have a past grudge with Rob Pelinaka?

Ziggy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Oh I got it now thanks guys.

Basically Lakers could've done what they were legally able to do which was play hardball and force Randle to sign a restricted contract or be forced to sign QO, instead they did what was best for Randle and let him go and find the best deal for himself
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Hydro21 wrote:
bucketsandbags wrote:
No player is going to allow their agent to dictate where they go over some personal grudge. George is happy in OKC and Randle would never have the role he wants with LeBron on the team. It's a much better fit for him with Davis and Mirotić than LeBron and Ingram/Kuzma.

Happens more than you think ..

So they're idiots?

I'm with buckets. The agents work to achieve the wishes of their clients, not the other way around.

I can tell you from personal experience that it happens and it’s quite shocking.
Agents/money guys look out for themselves first and foremost. They steer their clients in ways that benefit the agent most. It should be the other way around but they have too much influence on these young guys.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

What was Shaw's slip up? What did he say?
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

What was Shaw's slip up? What did he say?

This is from training camp. The Lakers were being featured on NBATV and B. Shaw was being interviewed by Dennis Scott. There was either a commercial break or there was a mix up with B. Shaw’s mic and he didn't realize that it was still on. Scott asked him if the new guys they have put the work in and Shaw said, “Yeah, they do. They do. You know, like, last year we had D’Angelo. He was just bullsh—ing all the time and didn’t put it in.”
rst08tierney
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
PG’s documentary, first thing he mentions is how vital Aaron Mintz is in his NBA career:

Quote:
Paul George: “Aaron Mintz is my agent. He’s been in this journey with me since I was 20 years old. He’s played a very, very vital role in my career. We share more than an agent and player relationship. He’s more of my big brother.”

I bet they had to revise George slipping and saying "16 years old".

With the short list of Mintz clients he had to start stuffing pockets early to get his career off the ground
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject:

bucketsandbags wrote:
No player is going to allow their agent to dictate where they go over some personal grudge. George is happy in OKC and Randle would never have the role he wants with LeBron on the team. It's a much better fit for him with Davis and Mirotić than LeBron and Ingram/Kuzma.

Leonard Armato says hi. Mintz is another David Lee. Remember him?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Hydro21 wrote:
bucketsandbags wrote:

Happens more than you think ..

So they're idiots?

I'm with buckets. The agents work to achieve the wishes of their clients, not the other way around.

I can tell you from personal experience that it happens and it’s quite shocking.
Agents/money guys look out for themselves first and foremost. They steer their clients in ways that benefit the agent most. It should be the other way around but they have too much influence on these young guys.

And when the players realize it by then it will be too late....think Terrell Owens.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Could Aaron Mintz have a past grudge with Rob Pelinaka?

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Eric tends to overthink things. The Lakers decided not to keep Randle. They needed to renounce him to sign everyone. Yeah, they could have waited a little longer, but why?

I think they would've preferred that he took the QO. They weren't opposed to bringing him back, just not at the expense of cap flexibility next summer.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Could Aaron Mintz have a past grudge with Rob Pelinaka?

crucifixion wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Oh I got it now thanks guys.

Basically Lakers could've done what they were legally able to do which was play hardball and force Randle to sign a restricted contract or be forced to sign QO, instead they did what was best for Randle and let him go and find the best deal for himself

Correct. At least that's what he theorizes. If the Lakers wanted to force their hand they could have. But if you're viewed as a GM who can be reasoned with, then more organizations and player agents will be willing to work with you.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
bucketsandbags wrote:

Wrong. Agents have HUGE influence over their clients. It's not like Mintz actively told Randle that he hate Pelinka and the grudge is why he should go to New Orleans. He probably steered towards that direction and steered PG towards re-signing with the Thunder in a subtle but profound fashion.

Randle isn't here anymore because his ego and his agent got in the way. If he really wanted to be a Laker he would have realized what Maginka vision was and taken a 1 year deal.

Yeah, in PG's ESPN special, he said that Mintz is like a brother to him.

Hey PG can be influenced by whomever. Let’s see how he likes OKC the next 2-3 yrs
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Well he just lost two of his clients a (bleep) ton of money.

Randle, Elfrid Payton,

He angling for PGs supermax
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Please fix the thread title to spell Pelinka correctly.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: