There Is Now Just One Blockbuster Video Left in the US
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: There Is Now Just One Blockbuster Video Left in the US

https://gizmodo.com/there-is-now-just-one-blockbuster-left-in-the-us-1827563382

Kinda sad.. I remember the excitement and joy I had browsing the isles for movies/games another piece of childhood and young-adult life disappearing
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

The novelty of VCRs was somethin' when they started churning out enough titles to build the industry up. We rented a deck before buying one (at Price Club no less), but they were still pretty damn pricey around 85/6. Remember doing the ol video store browse from that time all the way to the late 90s. Fun times.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Zero
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject:

I live in Bend, Oregon and drive by it everyday. Makes me proud.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Never had the stand alone rewinder, always cringed when I rewind the beta/VHS but those rewind fees
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

never liked blockbuster

You had to rent 5 days for $5 and there no other option. What am I gonna do with Jingle All the Way for 5 days?

Wherehouse was the place.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
never liked blockbuster

You had to rent 5 days for $5 and there no other option. What am I gonna do with Jingle All the Way for 5 days?

Wherehouse was the place.

not in the early days....it was straight up 24 hour rentals. Kinda sad, but when I was a teen and we moved from southern WV to Florida in the early 1990's....I would tell people back home about there being a Blockbuster video close to my new home! In WV, we only had mom n' pop video rental places at the time.

Wow....on a Friday or Saturday night in the early 90's....there was no parking spaces at the Blockbuster. Anyone recall reserving movies.....and when a copy was returned, Blockbuster would call your house, and you had like an hour to pick it up.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Never had the stand alone rewinder, always cringed when I rewind the beta/VHS but those rewind fees

the stand alone rewinder....the #1 best cheap Christmas gift for that person that was not that important, but you felt compelled to give them something.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

a couple more somewhat related....our first VCR....guessing around 1985ish.....had a remote control but was corded.....and the cord was only like 3-4 feet.

....would hate when I would go to rent a movie, and they had the BetaMax version in stock, but no the VHS!

....anyone recall when Video Rental places charged a membership fee just to be able to rent movies? The first place we rented from when I was a kid, it required a membership fee of $99 a year!
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Man I love all these memories here...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

My favorite Blockbuster memory: many years ago I was dating a woman and she borrowed an adult movie from me. One evening in a rush to return a movie she had rented from Blockbuster, she threw a VHS in the Blockbuster case and dropped it in the return slot. Then she got home to discover that the tape she ejected from her VCR was not the Blockbuster tape, but the tape she borrowed from me. So she took that back to the Blockbuster and lurked until she saw one of the clerks restock the case on the shelf. Then she slyly swapped the two cassettes without getting caught.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Bought my first VCR for $1199 back in 1979...still have it up on a shelf somewhere...still works
Still have dozen of old videos...some with commercials
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
My favorite Blockbuster memory: many years ago I was dating a woman and she borrowed an adult movie from me. One evening in a rush to return a movie she had rented from Blockbuster, she threw a VHS in the Blockbuster case and dropped it in the return slot. Then she got home to discover that the tape she ejected from her VCR was not the Blockbuster tape, but the tape she borrowed from me. So she took that back to the Blockbuster and lurked until she saw one of the clerks restock the case on the shelf. Then she slyly swapped the two cassettes without getting caught.

kind of thing you needed Jim Rockford for back in the day
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

title of movie?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

title of movie?

It was “Honey Bunch” or something like that. Every so often when we were out and saw an awkward moment she’d just look at me and say “Honey Bunch” with a nod and a wink.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

blockbuster and hollywood video were the perfect teen date night. You and her would go there friday night pick out what you wanted and pulled an allnighter at whoever's house was free. Or where you and all your boys would get videogames and go ham for the night. (Many grocery stores had a nice selection too.)

It was like a ritual that was fun and you knew was leading to a great night that teens will never really understand or experience today, I really do miss it
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Bastards wouldn't even hire me after what I thought was a nice albeit brief interview with a store manager whereas any other retail chain would have..GOOD RIDDANCE glad Redbox and Netflix put NutBuster out of business.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

title of movie?

It was “Honey Bunch” or something like that. Every so often when we were out and saw an awkward moment she’d just look at me and say “Honey Bunch” with a nod and a wink.

This was back in the Hairy Era.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject:

Blockbuster carried me through the Genesis/Super Nintendo era. Few bucks for a few days for a game rental? Game on. I owned exactly 0 titles during the pre-PS1 days. Our Blockbuster where I grew up pretty much had all the games. Rented the crap out of them.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject:

Ridiculous rental fees, and the late charges were insane! (bleep) blockbuster, honestly. Love it when businesses like these that were obviously trying to screw over the customer go under.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

title of movie?

This was back in the Hairy Era.

cut the search in half...was Ron Jeremy in it?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject:

BRYON!!!!!
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

nostalgic memories but good riddance
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

at least it was not one you two made at home and starred in.....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Bought my first VCR for $1199 back in 1979...still have it up on a shelf somewhere...still works
Still have dozen of old videos...some with commercials

was it top loading....I recall the first one I ever saw in the early 80's was top loading...my grandmother had it.....it set on top of the giant 25" "floor model" television right beside the little black "home box office" box!

anyone else recall the little box that tv providers gave you for HBO service....it just had 1 single switch on it.....either TV or HBO......or the floor model tv encased wood to look like a piece of furniture.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
a couple more somewhat related....our first VCR....guessing around 1985ish.....had a remote control but was corded.....and the cord was only like 3-4 feet.

....would hate when I would go to rent a movie, and they had the BetaMax version in stock, but no the VHS!

....anyone recall when Video Rental places charged a membership fee just to be able to rent movies? The first place we rented from when I was a kid, it required a membership fee of $99 a year!

Had the same VCR....that thing weighed a ton. The remote was pointless since you had to sit close to the VCR so you might as well leave the remote detached.
Also we had a TV where you had to get up to physically change the channels.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: