View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
I used Laserdiscs mostly for concert films like Clapton 24 Nights/Unplugged, CSN, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin ...things I watched over and over

Still have them up in the closet...my oldest son hasn't gotten to that format yet. He has my amp, receiver and turntable and most my vinyl already

I remember back in the day when my dad, who was a huge audiophile, upgraded his equipment from top to bottom and gave me his old setup as my first. I was the only one of my friends with a full high end system. Needless to say my buddies and I spent a lot of time "chilling" and cranking our favorite albums.

Still have my old vinyl, but haven't made the leap back yet.

I don't think vinyl will ever go away. It's still the richest/fullest sounding medium, be it physical or digital, by far. Also the nostalgia/collectible element is very strong.

Yeah, indeed. And I have a few albums I would guess would be in the collectible column. Rush's first album with John Rusty, which was kind of hard to find even way back when, the original Skynyrd "Street Survivors" with the flames and all 6 versions of Zeppelin's "In through the Out Door".

My wife and I are in the process of starting to build our second home which will be our retirement home and I am already looking forward to building a vintage audio setup to replicate the old systems my dad had. I haven't really been able to do that yet because it hasn't made sense with my current lifestyle.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

No, I do recall that Raquel Darrian was though.

Ah, Raquel. She signed an NDA or two in her day. I have zero doubt.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I was too cool for VHS. I’m was a laserdisc guy. Some Blockbusters rented them, though.

A format that should have taken off, yet didn't.

We had a neighbor circa 89/90 who had an LD player. He let me and my dad and some of my friends from up the street look at it once. Far and away the best looking picture that I ever saw in that time period. This dude had a real Oscar statue and framed posters and other movie crap that was supposedly rare and expensive, can't recall what movies they were for, but it was clear he was a A/Vphile and movie buff. That was still the only non-store LD player I've ever seen. I'm not sure if that was the end of the run for LD, but I remember that the picture quality and the supreme audio (he had a surround sound system) was easily discernible compared to the VHS format that served as the only frame of reference people had back then unless they once had a Betamax recorder.

The thought always given as to why Beta the format failed was because you couldn't fit most adult titles with Raquel Darrian on them, much less Hollywood movies. There are uploaded YT vids of commercials recorded on Betamax decks in the late 70s to early 80s that are clearly superior to VHS quality that I was still using even in the early 2000s. There were some brands of tapes like Scotch brand (3M Company) and LDK brands that were vastly superior to cheaper brands, tho. Early 80s tapes were heavy as bricks compared to the cheap crap that was standard by the 90s. LaserDisc was above all tapes, though. You really had it made if your deck was able to play both sides without having to flip the disc halfway thru. There were Criterion LDs from Japan that featured the first bonus materials that could be quantified as "Easter eggs" (bonuses on deluxe DVD versions). First DVDs I recall seeing in a video store was around 94/5. Course not all of those were made equal, either. If the transfer was from a sh source, you got a sh looking DVD. One of the reasons why I've been hesitant to buy older titles on BluRay.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

The downside to laserdiscs was that you needed to flip or even change the disc. It’s amazing how much storage capacity increase in such a short time. But that’s true of all things digital. Some of the extras were remarkable at the time.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I was too cool for VHS. I’m was a laserdisc guy. Some Blockbusters rented them, though.

A format that should have taken off, yet didn't.

We had a neighbor circa 89/90 who had an LD player. He let me and my dad and some of my friends from up the street look at it once. Far and away the best looking picture that I ever saw in that time period. This dude had a real Oscar statue and framed posters and other movie crap that was supposedly rare and expensive, can't recall what movies they were for, but it was clear he was a A/Vphile and movie buff. That was still the only non-store LD player I've ever seen. I'm not sure if that was the end of the run for LD, but I remember that the picture quality and the supreme audio (he had a surround sound system) was easily discernible compared to the VHS format that served as the only frame of reference people had back then unless they once had a Betamax recorder.

The thought always given as to why Beta the format failed was because you couldn't fit most adult titles with Raquel Darrian on them, much less Hollywood movies. There are uploaded YT vids of commercials recorded on Betamax decks in the late 70s to early 80s that are clearly superior to VHS quality that I was still using even in the early 2000s. There were some brands of tapes like Scotch brand (3M Company) and LDK brands that were vastly superior to cheaper brands, tho. Early 80s tapes were heavy as bricks compared to the cheap crap that was standard by the 90s. LaserDisc was above all tapes, though. You really had it made if your deck was able to play both sides without having to flip the disc halfway thru. There were Criterion LDs from Japan that featured the first bonus materials that could be quantified as "Easter eggs" (bonuses on deluxe DVD versions). First DVDs I recall seeing in a video store was around 94/5. Course not all of those were made equal, either. If the transfer was from a sh source, you got a sh looking DVD. One of the reasons why I've been hesitant to buy older titles on BluRay.

LaserDisc for a while was the go-to for most audiophiles in terms of sound quality. The audio pressing on the LD was superior to those on CD and DVD (higher sample rate, I believe). It's unfortunate that virtually 100% of the LDs cons had nothing to do with the audio/picture quality, but rather it's lack of practicality, and fragility of the format (discs were easily scratched, and the lense lacked error correction). Very hard to appeal to the avg consumer with that type of profile. I remember my dad actually re-bought alot of his older albums on LD, since it pretty much dwarfed the pressing quality on CD (later the SACD matched the LD in quality). The 5.1 mixes were also revolutionary. First time I saw Wizard of Oz was on my dad's LD system, what a (bleep) trip.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

I loved LaserDisc as a kid the price didnt matter since I wasnt paying for it. It was cool, high tech and had a collectors feel to it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: