Offseason Grades: How Do You Grade the Lakers' Draft and New Free Agents?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the Overall Grade You Would Give the Lakers' Offseason?
A+ (Holy Crap... How Did We Pull This Off?)
28%
 28%  [ 9 ]
A or A- (Really Exceeded My Expectations)
40%
 40%  [ 13 ]
B+ or B (Overall Pleasantly Surprised)
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
B- or C+ (About What I Expected, Give or Take)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
C (Okay I Guess, But Wish We Could Have Done Better)
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
C- or D+ (Below Expectations)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
D or below (Fail)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

Author Message
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 Jan 2016
Posts: 422
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

Draft Players

1. Wagner - B
2. Svi - A- Looking like a rotation player for sure, that's all you can ask for a mid 2nd rounder
3. Bonga - N/A I'll wait 2 years to make judgment, right now he's a boy among men even in SL. 6'9 with PG skills tho has good upside.

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron - A+ No brainer.
2. KCP (resign) C+
3. Rondo - A- I like Rondo and Lance more than most on here. They bring the competiveness and will be key pieces in a playoff run
4. Stephenson - B+
5. McGee - B- For 10-15 min a game at the min, he's solid.

Still wish we could've given Julius 4/40 or something but I guess that makes it hard to get a Kawhi/Klay/Butler next year.

All that said, we can't really grade until we see how it starts to unfold.
_________________
We pour this booze and we drink this booze because we think it's yummy. YUMMY! So over the tounge and down the throat to party in our tummys.
DOWN THE HOLA BITC*OLA!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jun 2002
Posts: 8037

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

Rosters are built in three ways -

Free Agency Grade: A+
Signed LBJ while leaving sufficient cap space to sign a max free agent in 2019. "Missing" on George might have been as much a "no thank you" from LA who learned that Kawhi on the cheap was a possibility if LA retained the threat of max space in 2019. Fallback is max space with a long list of George level players on the market in 12 months. Good gamble. Rondo, KCP and McGee on one year deals all fill important needs, including that of playoff experience. Lance on a one year deal is a swing for the fences. Releasing Randle from his restricted status was an act of good faith.

Draft Grade: B+
Armed with only late draft picks, improved a critical team need (shooting) while selecting players more ready to contribute. Got great value at #25 and #47. Bonga at #39 is a swing for the fences that will take a couple years to materialize and given his youth can only be evaluated by the extreme measures our scouting department, who has been the best in the league for several years, went to get him. Reduced grade for having passed on Robinson and Melton, both of whom they took a long look at.

Trade: A
So far have resisted a making huge offer for Kawhi and see their leverage growing by the day. In the meantime, Hart is showing he may be starter quality and LA's young phenoms appear as though they're going to get a chance to show if they can co-star with James. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSanity
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 31955
Location: Long Beach, California

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

The "A"s

When you get the best player on the planet on your team, and do it without having to sacrifice any assets to get him, that's an "A" all day long regardless of the perceived baggage that player brings. Lebron is an A+.

Svi is a solid "A"... here is why. JJ Redick made $22 million last year. He will make $13m this year. Svi, at $1.5m per year over the next three years, has a chance at outperforming Redick over the next three years at a literal fraction of the cost. He was also selected with the 47th pick in the draft. He's a home run.

The "B"s

Wagner is a B+. Based on summer league alone, he looks like he should have gone 5-10 spots earlier. While its debatable if there were other players we should have taken instead (like Robinson or Melton), it seems clear that Wagner is a better prospect than most of those players drafted between the 15-35 range. Wagner is going to exceed is draft #, which is all you can ask for.

KCP is a B signing. We slightly overpaid for him at $12m (his true value was likely more at $8-$9m), but we had to for a 1 year contract and because Lebron wanted him. He is a poor man's Paul George that can give you 3pt shooting on one end and solid D on the other, which is exactly the type of role player you need next to Lebron. Its a good signing and I'm glad he is back.

I give Rondo a B- for now. I think of Rondo's signing as somewhere between a C and a B+, depending on which Rondo we actually get. Rondo's primary value reflects (1) depth (in case of injury to Ball), (2) a mentor to Ball, (3) another primary playmaker and (4) a top notch defender. Only one of those four variables will be actualized if we get regular season Rondo (thus the C-). If we get playoff Rondo, all four are (thus the B+). We likely get something in between, which id why I give his signing a B- for now.

The "Cs"

I give McGee a solid C. His grade would be higher but for the fact that we kept Zubac, who, for the most part, should have a similar role as McGee. We needed a pick/roll, rim runner big man. Both McGee and Zubac can do that. McGee likely does it better, but, still, if we already had Zubac, I would have preferred a center with a different skill set to give us more versatility. Therefore, McGee's "C" grade does not so much reflect the value of his signing (which is more like a C+ or B- at the vet minimum), but the fact I would have preferred to give his roster spot to another player (like Brook Lopez) who could offer us a different look.

I would grade Stephenson as a C- for now. As with Rondo, it depends on which Stephenson we get. Stephenson shot 28% from 3 last year. However, he's had years were he shot really well from 3. Likewise, Stephenson's defense was subpar last year, but he has still shown the ability to be a pretty good defender - its about consistency for him. A Stephenson who is a plus defender, who doesn't cause chemistry issues and who shoots above 33% from 3 is a B to a B+ signing (even at $4.5m). A Stephenson making $4.5 million who is the Stephenson that played on every team but the Pacers is an F signing. Obviously, lets hope for the former over the latter or else its a big overpay at $4.5m.

The "D"

Isaac Bonga. Bonga is a D for me because he's being developed on our dime. In 3-4 years, could he be another Kyle Anderson or Boris Diaw? Maybe. However, that's when we'll have to pay him. I'd give Bonga a higher grade if he had developed another 2-3 years over seas before bringing him here, but I always think it is a mistake to draft a player who you know in advance likely won't contribute in the next three years unless you can draft and stash him. I'm fine with project players, but a different thing when you know that the project, best case scenario, won't produce for you until you have to pay him real money. There were also other players available at #39 (like Melton) who could contribute now, which is more of a priority at present with a team that has Lebron James on it.
_________________
LakersGround's Terms of Service


Last edited by LakerSanity on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 2262

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Rosters are built in three ways -

Free Agency Grade: A+
Signed LBJ while leaving sufficient cap space to sign a max free agent in 2019. "Missing" on George might have been as much a "no thank you" from LA who learned that Kawhi on the cheap was a possibility if LA retained the threat of max space in 2019. Fallback is max space with a long list of George level players on the market in 12 months. Good gamble. Rondo, KCP and McGee on one year deals all fill important needs, including that of playoff experience. Lance on a one year deal is a swing for the fences. Releasing Randle from his restricted status was an act of good faith.

Draft Grade: B+
Armed with only late draft picks, improved a critical team need (shooting) while selecting players more ready to contribute. Got great value at #25 and #47. Bonga at #39 is a swing for the fences that will take a couple years to materialize and given his youth can only be evaluated by the extreme measures our scouting department, who has been the best in the league for several years, went to get him. Reduced grade for having passed on Robinson and Melton, both of whom they took a long look at.

Trade: A
So far have resisted a making huge offer for Kawhi and see their leverage growing by the day. In the meantime, Hart is showing he may be starter quality and LA's young phenoms appear as though they're going to get a chance to show if they can co-star with James. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Polarbear
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 284

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Draft Players

1. Wagner - D-
2. Bonga - C-
3. Svi - A

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron - A+
2. KCP (resign) B
3. Rondo - C-
4. Stevenson - D
5. McGee - C


You not watch the summer league?


yes...saw our 1st round pick shoot below 40% from the field and below 30% from 3....it's like deja vu.


But if we got that other fella.....it would be an A! Cuz you know draft picks should not just look good (which Wag has) they need to dominate out the gate


that was not the reason for the grade, that was a response to an explicit question. The grade was based on watching Wagner for 3 seasons at Michigan (to be honest, it was more like 2 seasons that I mostly recall him)....and being confident there were multiple if not many other prospects on the board @ #25 with more ability and talent. I think it was a terrible pick, and I expect that will prove out as several players taken after Wagner will be more effective in the NBA....although I would prefer to be wrong.


"a terrible pick"

LOL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
audioaxes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 9694

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

atleast for the draft picks i think its too early for fair grades.
Wagner - B+ It looks like we got spoiled after just one year of hitting gold in the late first round. But people must realize it is still very hard to find special players in the late first. Mo Wagner is well ahead of the curve as far as the typical late rounder.
Svi - A+ As good a player as you can possibly get at that draft slot.
Bonga - C Was Bonga really on any other teams draft radar to have to trade into position to get him? Was he the best long term prospect in the second round? I think answer is No and No but Im not losing sleep over this as second rounders rarely make it anyway.
_________________
anti-tank.


Last edited by audioaxes on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 26939
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

The "B"s

Wagner is a B+. Based on summer league alone, he looks like he should have gone 5-10 spots earlier. While its debatable if there were other players we should have taken instead (like Robinson or Melton), it seems clear that Wagner is a better prospect than most of those players drafted between the 15-35 range. Wagner is going to exceed is draft #, which is all you can ask for.


don't mean to overkill the topic....but I struggle to see one single player that was drafted before Wagner that he clearly appears to be a better NBA prospect than? And in regards to #26 through #35....I think Jevon Carter clearly had a more impactful summer league than Wagner, and appeared to be a better NBA prospect.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 11004
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

!) Svi - A; gotta love the guy

2) Mo - B ; lots of drive there, he could be next summer
leagues Hart if he powers up

3) Bonga - F; he's leap of pure Faith (F). He's somewhere between
horrible and terrible. Most nights one of the worst players on the court.
_________________
The move
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 26939
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Draft Players

1. Wagner - D-
2. Bonga - C-
3. Svi - A

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron - A+
2. KCP (resign) B
3. Rondo - C-
4. Stevenson - D
5. McGee - C


You not watch the summer league?


yes...saw our 1st round pick shoot below 40% from the field and below 30% from 3....it's like deja vu.


But if we got that other fella.....it would be an A! Cuz you know draft picks should not just look good (which Wag has) they need to dominate out the gate


that was not the reason for the grade, that was a response to an explicit question. The grade was based on watching Wagner for 3 seasons at Michigan (to be honest, it was more like 2 seasons that I mostly recall him)....and being confident there were multiple if not many other prospects on the board @ #25 with more ability and talent. I think it was a terrible pick, and I expect that will prove out as several players taken after Wagner will be more effective in the NBA....although I would prefer to be wrong.


"a terrible pick"

LOL


these are my least favorite post types on LG....they add nothing to the discussion and literally serve no purpose except an attempt to bait someone for a response. Even in your previous post, you offered nothing but passive aggressiveness....and I responded with opinion and explanation....and you still have nothing to further the discussion.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 2061

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

Drafted Players

1. Wagner: B-
2. Svi: A- (amazing value)
3. Bonga: F

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron: A+++
2. KCP (resign): B-
3. Rondo: B+
4. Stevenson: D
5. McGee: C
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 8403

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Drafted Players

1. Wagner: B-
2. Svi: A- (amazing value)
3. Bonga: F

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron: A+++
2. KCP (resign): B-
3. Rondo: B+
4. Stevenson: D
5. McGee: C


I think McGee will be a B to a B+
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief


Joined: 07 Sep 2001
Posts: 36201
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

I love Kobe 24 wrote:
How the hell is Svi not an “A” from all of you?

Second rounder who is beasting in summer league showing more than first rounders and the bs scouting reports...

Arguably best shooter on the team already.


Ha ha. I was wondering the same thing.

I mean he was picked 47. For a 47th pick...come on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 7887
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

Drafted Players

1. Wagner: B
2. Svi: A-
3. Bonga: C-

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron: A+
2. KCP (resign): A-
3. Rondo: B+
4. Stevenson: D
5. McGee: C+
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 2994
Location: Low Post Rate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Grades for Draft and Free Agent Players

Draft
1. Wagner - B
2. Svi - B+
3. Bonga - C-

Free Agents (considering cost and need)
1. Lebron - A+
2. KCP - B
3. Rondo - B
4. Stevenson - B-
5. McGee - C-[/quote]
_________________
"We got a new universe coming and he's going to control all our universes. We're going to put our universes together" - Metta World Peace
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Polarbear
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 284

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Draft Players

1. Wagner - D-
2. Bonga - C-
3. Svi - A

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron - A+
2. KCP (resign) B
3. Rondo - C-
4. Stevenson - D
5. McGee - C


You not watch the summer league?


yes...saw our 1st round pick shoot below 40% from the field and below 30% from 3....it's like deja vu.


But if we got that other fella.....it would be an A! Cuz you know draft picks should not just look good (which Wag has) they need to dominate out the gate


that was not the reason for the grade, that was a response to an explicit question. The grade was based on watching Wagner for 3 seasons at Michigan (to be honest, it was more like 2 seasons that I mostly recall him)....and being confident there were multiple if not many other prospects on the board @ #25 with more ability and talent. I think it was a terrible pick, and I expect that will prove out as several players taken after Wagner will be more effective in the NBA....although I would prefer to be wrong.


"a terrible pick"

LOL


these are my least favorite post types on LG....they add nothing to the discussion and literally serve no purpose except an attempt to bait someone for a response. Even in your previous post, you offered nothing but passive aggressiveness....and I responded with opinion and explanation....and you still have nothing to further the discussion.


Your breaking my heart with this seriously. It is difficult to have a discussion with someone that goes out to look at a blue sky....and swears to you that it is grey.

Wagner is a skilled player.....but even more then that you can tell that when the game is on the line he is gonna be one of those kids that fight you for it......something you obviously cannot rate because you need a stat sheet in front of you to evaluate a player.

He can shoot.....he will fight for rebounds...he has game both around the basket and away from it......before he went down with the injury he was being raved about in every game because of his effort and actual skill.

Your wrong on this.....but then the sky really is grey isnt it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 725

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Grades for Draft and Free Agent Players

epak wrote:
Draft Players

1. Wagner - A+
2. Svi - A+
3. Bonga - A+

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron - A+
2. KCP (resign) A+
3. Rondo - A+
4. Stevenson - A+
5. McGee - A+

Misc
1. Get rid of Julius - A+
2. Get rid of Brook - A+
3. Get rid of PG - A+

Signed epak, the homer.


I agree with this fair and unbiased analysis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Jan 2002
Posts: 6515
Location: Lake Forest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Draft Players

1. Wagner - B : Can he put on muscle to become effective and keep his agility which makes him worth a look? It will be a while.
2. Svi - A : Late pick, a couple NBA ready skills.
3. Bonga - Incomplete: G-league draft & stash

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron - A+
2. KCP (resign) B
3. Rondo - B: desperately needed depth at PG
4. Stevenson - B: 6 Wing fouls in the Playoffs for Houston and GS
5. McGee - A-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 4367

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I Expect this team to be tough as nails 1-15.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2003
Posts: 4993
Location: Central Coast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

The draft was great we killed it and got two possible rotation players at the back of the first and second round. Bongo might be a bust, but lets stash him away for a couple of years and see how he does.

Getting Lebron was a huge risk and it paid off. But its only part one of the strategy. Either at the trade deadline or next offseason we have a strong chance to get KL or another top free agent.

All the 1 year vet deals are just that. Part of the transition stage to a greater end.

I think the Lebron naysayers will pipe down somewhat once we start winning and make at least a playoff appearance this year.

It's a A+ offseason, even (and maybe also because) we didn't get PG. winning is a process, and unless you have 3 magic beans, trust Magic to get it done next offseason.
_________________
LAKERS 2018-2019: A NEW HOPE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 26939
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Draft Players

1. Wagner - D-
2. Bonga - C-
3. Svi - A

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron - A+
2. KCP (resign) B
3. Rondo - C-
4. Stevenson - D
5. McGee - C


You not watch the summer league?


yes...saw our 1st round pick shoot below 40% from the field and below 30% from 3....it's like deja vu.


But if we got that other fella.....it would be an A! Cuz you know draft picks should not just look good (which Wag has) they need to dominate out the gate


that was not the reason for the grade, that was a response to an explicit question. The grade was based on watching Wagner for 3 seasons at Michigan (to be honest, it was more like 2 seasons that I mostly recall him)....and being confident there were multiple if not many other prospects on the board @ #25 with more ability and talent. I think it was a terrible pick, and I expect that will prove out as several players taken after Wagner will be more effective in the NBA....although I would prefer to be wrong.


"a terrible pick"

LOL


these are my least favorite post types on LG....they add nothing to the discussion and literally serve no purpose except an attempt to bait someone for a response. Even in your previous post, you offered nothing but passive aggressiveness....and I responded with opinion and explanation....and you still have nothing to further the discussion.


Your breaking my heart with this seriously. It is difficult to have a discussion with someone that goes out to look at a blue sky....and swears to you that it is grey.

Wagner is a skilled player.....but even more then that you can tell that when the game is on the line he is gonna be one of those kids that fight you for it......something you obviously cannot rate because you need a stat sheet in front of you to evaluate a player.

He can shoot.....he will fight for rebounds...he has game both around the basket and away from it......before he went down with the injury he was being raved about in every game because of his effort and actual skill.

Your wrong on this.....but then the sky really is grey isnt it?


maybe I will be....would not be the first time. The difference is I will still be here to admit it....but I am guessing you will not be around as your current username if my thoughts are proven correct. I can tell just by your response that you are wildly unfamiliar with Wagner outside of recent media and a couple summer league games....so we will just see how it plays out.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
justsomelakerfan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Jul 2016
Posts: 9890

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Draft Players

1. Wagner - D-
2. Bonga - C-
3. Svi - A

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron - A+
2. KCP (resign) B
3. Rondo - C-
4. Stevenson - D
5. McGee - C


You not watch the summer league?


yes...saw our 1st round pick shoot below 40% from the field and below 30% from 3....it's like deja vu.


It is a sad day when our 1st round pick shoots like this in the lowly summer league...

Could you imagine if he returns a second year player, a whole year older and wiser and much improved especially against lesser competition, and shoots say 24% from the field and 9% from 3?

Good thing it's just summer league and their futures surely aren't condemned to a failing D- grade if their shot is streaky, right
_________________
Fave 5 at 25: Isaac Bonga, Isaac Bonga, Isaac Bonga, Isaac Bonga, Isaac Bonga
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 26939
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Draft Players

1. Wagner - D-
2. Bonga - C-
3. Svi - A

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron - A+
2. KCP (resign) B
3. Rondo - C-
4. Stevenson - D
5. McGee - C


You not watch the summer league?


yes...saw our 1st round pick shoot below 40% from the field and below 30% from 3....it's like deja vu.


It is a sad day when our 1st round pick shoots like this in the lowly summer league...

Could you imagine if he returns a second year player, a whole year older and wiser and much improved especially against lesser competition, and shoots say 24% from the field and 9% from 3?

Good thing it's just summer league and their futures surely aren't condemned to a failing D- grade if their shot is streaky, right


My thoughts or grade about the draft selection has little to do with his shooting in summer league.....that was in response to a separate question. The primary driver is opportunity cost....I feel there were numerous other players available that I expect to perform better than Wagner and be more valuable assets.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Jul 2005
Posts: 15978

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Too early to judge drafted players but so far

Wagner-Looks to be a rotation player at least. All you can ask for at 25/ B
SVI-Looks to be a steal/ A
Bonga-So many question marks about this one/Incomplete

Now Free Agency I have been very vocal about the free agent signings post LeBron not being optimal

LeBron-A+++++++++++

KCP-B

Rondo-C- (Equally productive players available for fraction of cost Payton, Napier)

McGee-B-

Lance-F He hasnt been a + player in years, cant shoot or defend,horrible use of salary cap space.

Losing Randle for 0-F

Dont like how the Lakers utilized their cap space(13.5M for a back up PG and player that shouldn't be in rotation) in a tight market where good players would be squeezed and attainable (Tyreke Evans, Brook Lopez, Julius Randle, Boogie)
_________________
"He's a Zen master, so he can speak to you, and he doesn't need a microphone; you can hear him in your head, 'Ron, don't shoot, don't shoot.' Whatever, pow, three. I love the Zen, though."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 24056

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Grades for Draft and Free Agent Players

KungPau wrote:
epak wrote:
Draft Players

1. Wagner - A+
2. Svi - A+
3. Bonga - A+

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron - A+
2. KCP (resign) A+
3. Rondo - A+
4. Stevenson - A+
5. McGee - A+

Misc
1. Get rid of Julius - A+
2. Get rid of Brook - A+
3. Get rid of PG - A+

Signed epak, the homer.


I agree with this fair and unbiased analysis


Word!
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
justsomelakerfan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Jul 2016
Posts: 9890

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Draft Players

1. Wagner - D-
2. Bonga - C-
3. Svi - A

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron - A+
2. KCP (resign) B
3. Rondo - C-
4. Stevenson - D
5. McGee - C


You not watch the summer league?


yes...saw our 1st round pick shoot below 40% from the field and below 30% from 3....it's like deja vu.


It is a sad day when our 1st round pick shoots like this in the lowly summer league...

Could you imagine if he returns a second year player, a whole year older and wiser and much improved especially against lesser competition, and shoots say 24% from the field and 9% from 3?

Good thing it's just summer league and their futures surely aren't condemned to a failing D- grade if their shot is streaky, right


My thoughts or grade about the draft selection has little to do with his shooting in summer league.....that was in response to a separate question. The primary driver is opportunity cost....I feel there were numerous other players available that I expect to perform better than Wagner and be more valuable assets.


Ah I see - personally I just think it's too early after summer league to call it a wrap on Moe when I think we saw some positives on defense in the games he played. I'd argue that Moe Wagner improving on defense could be a pick worth higher than his draft spot, but it was a deep draft, we'll see. Now if you were using his rookie summer league shooting #s as a major factor in calling the pick a D- grade, that I had some questions about. There's been a few 1st & 2nd year players who have been great or even fine players who haven't shot efficiently in summer league.
_________________
Fave 5 at 25: Isaac Bonga, Isaac Bonga, Isaac Bonga, Isaac Bonga, Isaac Bonga
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB