Offseason Grades: How Do You Grade the Lakers' Draft and New Free Agents?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the Overall Grade You Would Give the Lakers' Offseason?
A+ (Holy Crap... How Did We Pull This Off?)
28%
 28%  [ 9 ]
A or A- (Really Exceeded My Expectations)
40%
 40%  [ 13 ]
B+ or B (Overall Pleasantly Surprised)
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
B- or C+ (About What I Expected, Give or Take)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
C (Okay I Guess, But Wish We Could Have Done Better)
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
C- or D+ (Below Expectations)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
D or below (Fail)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

Author Message
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 26065
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject:

I guess I would end up at a B.....but that is due to the weight of the Lebron signing.

Lebron Signing - A - 70%
Other FA Decisions - C - 20%
Draft - D - 10%

Overall Grade - B
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Mar 2012
Posts: 15777

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
B+

All of our signings outside of Lebron were absolutely horrible and to this day make no sense to me. We also did not retain Randle for whatever reason, a lot of questionable decisions have been made.


My thoughts, as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 4403

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject:

The management team gets a 'B' for a progress report, for very good work in the short term overall this Summer. If one of the main priorities was to continue to rebuild the talent base for the franchise's future, they missed an 'A' largely due to LeBron's advanced age (34 this December) and his accumulated miles, and for letting their best big man Randle walk for zilch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 31920

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject:

A+ for signing LeBron!
_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26648

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:

The good and the bad...

Landing LeBron was a major success.

Clearing space for a second max free agent and not succeeding was a fail.

It was a mistake to renounce Randale especially given how little he signed for.

Overall, even as one year placeholders, I found the free agent veteran signings to be lackluster. In particular, I thought Stephenson and Beasley where guys where the money could have been spent better elsewhere.

overall, I give them a B+ largely because of LeBron but I wasn't thrilled my most of their other moves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93536
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

A+ for LBJ

B for Rondo (really needed a steadier backup PG)

B for McGee (I think he will be an underrated finisher/rim protector)

D for Lance (will create a big minutes crunch and he's not the kind of guy who will be happy sitting on the bench)

B for Beez (underrated scorer who will feast on 2nd units)

B for Wagner (interesting prospect who needs to get stronger and may be our future center).

A for Svi (what a gem. Unfortunately we have a glut of wings right now but he should be a long term fixture for this team).

C- for Bonga (wanted Melton who could contribute now. Will give our developmental team time to work his game, still 2 years away from being 2 years away).

OVERALL: I give it a weighted B.
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 1895

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
C+

We signed Lebron, but otherwise kicked the can down the street for a year. If we had retained the old roster (Randle, Lopez, KCP), I would have expected us to contend for the playoffs this year. This roster should do a little bit better than that, but we are dependent on Lebron's health and the chemistry of a freak show including McGee, Stephenson, and Rondo. I see people talking about our depth, but we have no big men at the replacement level, two point guards with the same flaws, and a dearth of shooters. In order to have a really good season, we need Ingram or Ball to blossom, but that's no change from where we were before the moves.


Worst post of the decade.

No understanding of pace with the #1 and #3 pace setters in the NBA.

Saying that we are a little bit better with LeBron James as opposed to Jules & BroLo.

Horrible understanding of the fortunes of literally every team at every level of competition being tied to the health of their best players.

Calling 2 championship players and 2 other players (1 an international MVP) a freak show even though all are on 1 year deals and will get cut if they act up.

Failing to understand that KCP, Hart, Kuz, Svi, BI, and LBJ ALL are solid shooters.

Completely ignoring that with Ennis and Caruso as back ups last year that cost us easily 10 wins for a team that depended upon rookies and 2nd year players.

And having no concept of the gravity LeBron commands and therefore the impact that pace, ball movement, and defense play in our goal of becoming the #1 pace team sending waves of players to make up the difference for any lack of situational experience.

To say that retaining 4 of your top 5 assets, resigning a damn good 2 guard, adding a serious catch and shoot threat via draft, 4 proven vets that can run, score and 1 that is an elite rim protector...oh...and the best player in the game...to say that that is a C+ is such a titanicly epic horrendous analysis that it qualifies as the worst post of the decade and is in the running for worst post in LG history.

Bravo...here are your 15 minutes.
_________________
"This game's in the refrigerator. The door is closed, the lights are out. the eggs are coolin', the butter's gettin' hard and the jello's jigglin'."
- Chick, the One & Only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 1895

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
A, couldve been A+ if we could have leverage Radle into some assets


This. Only mistake was not getting future assets for Jules but we could have been in the same situation as last summer when we shopped him and there were no takers. Jules didn't even garner a low ball RFA contract let alone manufactured Twitter 'sources' interest.

I couldn't stand him for the bone head he was up until Jan...but after that he was consistently excellent for the 1st time in his career. Would have been nice to keep or nice to flip...didn't happen...so if this and Lance are my 2 biggest gripes in the summer of LeBron and the retention of our core4...yeah...that's an A.
_________________
"This game's in the refrigerator. The door is closed, the lights are out. the eggs are coolin', the butter's gettin' hard and the jello's jigglin'."
- Chick, the One & Only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

A, would've been A+ if they were able to land Kawhi with just Ingram, Deng and a couple picks. That would've given us a Lebron/Kawhi duo with a chance to add Klay, Butler or (healthy) Cousins next offseason.
_________________
If Brandon Knight were to come out, I would take him number 1 in the draft. - Magic Johnson Mar 27, 2011

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 1895

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
A+ for LBJ

B for Rondo (really needed a steadier backup PG)

B for McGee (I think he will be an underrated finisher/rim protector)

D for Lance (will create a big minutes crunch and he's not the kind of guy who will be happy sitting on the bench)

B for Beez (underrated scorer who will feast on 2nd units)

B for Wagner (interesting prospect who needs to get stronger and may be our future center).

A for Svi (what a gem. Unfortunately we have a glut of wings right now but he should be a long term fixture for this team).

C- for Bonga (wanted Melton who could contribute now. Will give our developmental team time to work his game, still 2 years away from being 2 years away).

OVERALL: I give it a weighted B.


4.3
3.0
3.0
1.0
3.0
3.0
4.0
1.7

2.87 unweighted

Curious that Bonga a 2nd round pick and Lance a 1 year playoff experienced vet rate so low and carry enough weight that even weighted this only comes out to a B for you.

Also no mention of retaining KCP?

Seems low to me but who am I...
_________________
"This game's in the refrigerator. The door is closed, the lights are out. the eggs are coolin', the butter's gettin' hard and the jello's jigglin'."
- Chick, the One & Only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93536
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A+ for LBJ

B for Rondo (really needed a steadier backup PG)

B for McGee (I think he will be an underrated finisher/rim protector)

D for Lance (will create a big minutes crunch and he's not the kind of guy who will be happy sitting on the bench)

B for Beez (underrated scorer who will feast on 2nd units)

B for Wagner (interesting prospect who needs to get stronger and may be our future center).

A for Svi (what a gem. Unfortunately we have a glut of wings right now but he should be a long term fixture for this team).

C- for Bonga (wanted Melton who could contribute now. Will give our developmental team time to work his game, still 2 years away from being 2 years away).

OVERALL: I give it a weighted B.


4.3
3.0
3.0
1.0
3.0
3.0
4.0
1.7

2.87 unweighted

Curious that Bonga a 2nd round pick and Lance a 1 year playoff experienced vet rate so low and carry enough weight that even weighted this only comes out to a B for you.

Also no mention of retaining KCP?

Seems low to me but who am I...


Sorry, by weighted I meant that LBJ's signing has so much weight to pull the overall grades up.

KCP is a solid B signing for me, maybe even a B+.
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 42598

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

On the one hand we signed the best player in the league to join our 35 win team. On the other hand I wasn’t crazy about one of our backups on a 1 year deal for the room exception. Tough to figure out which to give more weight to. Probably like a C+/D-.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bol
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3085

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
On the one hand we signed the best player in the league to join our 35 win team. On the other hand I wasn’t crazy about one of our backups on a 1 year deal for the room exception. Tough to figure out which to give more weight to. Probably like a C+/D-.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Hanging from Rafters
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: 31 Jul 2018
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

Greetings! Several decade Laker die hard. Been lurking here since before Marcus “pit bull” days.

Grade “C”
An A would best grade scoring two max free agents right? If we don’t get two this year well no big deal Magic clarified 2 year plan. But can’t give A right?

We missed A by missing PG. Now most of us I presume agree with Kobe, if we have to convince you then you are not the one so forget PG but it has the nfactor into the grade though right since most expected it and wanted it?

Cousins/Lopez and IT would have been worth the chance with almost zero risk with almost unlimited upside, unbelievably cheap 1 yr deals. Loss Randle for nothing. Over pay KCP to pacify agent bring on Lance to pacify LeBron.

Rondo paid almost 3x last year’s salary but good signing and LeBron worth two grades. Don’t get Zubac over Lopez.

Could consider B but this will be the six straight time we’re asked to accept punting a season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 May 2001
Posts: 2014
Location: Tega Cay, South Carolina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

Because of Lebron they get an A as he covers a bunch of mistakes.

Screwing up Randle - F
Releasing Bryant - D
Mo Wagner B
Svi A
Bonga incomplete
Rondo A but would rather have Randle
Stevenson C
Bagley C
McGee A

Keeping the rest of the Core: A

Overall A but Randle could have been the all star and could have signed a 2 year deal and would have been tradable. Bryant made no sense he could have fought for a spot and we need a center. Mo is probably not strong enough to play very many minutes this year.

Netting it out: We will be a playoff team finally so that is an A.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bol
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3085

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

I guess some people really liked Randle. I liked him too but I got over him in about 5 seconds after he was gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 2342
Location: Far from home

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

^ Liking Randle seems unrelated to having gotten nothing of value for the Laker future from that 2016 #7 draft pick. My feeling is that it's harder to accumulate value when you give it away.
_________________
“These GOAT discussions are fun distractions while sitting around waiting for the pizza to be served.”

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bol
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3085

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

What could they have gotten? We have no way of knowing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20980

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Worst post of the decade.


Thanks for your valuable contribution to the discussion. You are truly the Spencer Dinwiddie of this thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
StillSWOL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 14 Jul 2018
Posts: 177

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

You can’t sign LeBron and give it anything other than an A
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 42598

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

StillSWOL wrote:
You can’t sign LeBron and give it anything other than an A


LG finds a way.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 1895

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A+ for LBJ

B for Rondo (really needed a steadier backup PG)

B for McGee (I think he will be an underrated finisher/rim protector)

D for Lance (will create a big minutes crunch and he's not the kind of guy who will be happy sitting on the bench)

B for Beez (underrated scorer who will feast on 2nd units)

B for Wagner (interesting prospect who needs to get stronger and may be our future center).

A for Svi (what a gem. Unfortunately we have a glut of wings right now but he should be a long term fixture for this team).

C- for Bonga (wanted Melton who could contribute now. Will give our developmental team time to work his game, still 2 years away from being 2 years away).

OVERALL: I give it a weighted B.


4.3
3.0
3.0
1.0
3.0
3.0
4.0
1.7

2.87 unweighted

Curious that Bonga a 2nd round pick and Lance a 1 year playoff experienced vet rate so low and carry enough weight that even weighted this only comes out to a B for you.

Also no mention of retaining KCP?

Seems low to me but who am I...


Sorry, by weighted I meant that LBJ's signing has so much weight to pull the overall grades up.

KCP is a solid B signing for me, maybe even a B+.


Yeah I was thinking about this and came up with this...

Weight 1 to 10...10 major impact on wins, 1 little to no impact on wins.

LeBron A+ weight 10 score 43.0

KCP B+ weight 7 score 3.3 x 7 = 23.1

Rondo A- weight 8 score 3.7 x 8 = 29.6

McGee B weight 5 score 15.0

Beasley B+ weight 6 score 3.3 x 6 = 19.8

Lance D weight 4 score 1.0 x 4 = 4.0

Moe B+ weight 2 score 6.6

Bonga C weight 1 score 2.0

Svi A+ weight 5 score 21.5

Total score 164.6

We lost

Jules B+ player weight 7 score -21.3

BroLo B- player weight 4 score -10.2

TMamba C player weight 1 score -2.0

Ennis F player weight 1 score 0.0

Frye D player weight 1 score -1.0

IT B- player weight 6 score -16.2

Total score -50.7

Net improvement 113.9

Not sure another team can claim that level of improvement so it's an A for me in terms of win impact.
_________________
"This game's in the refrigerator. The door is closed, the lights are out. the eggs are coolin', the butter's gettin' hard and the jello's jigglin'."
- Chick, the One & Only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 1895

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Worst post of the decade.


Thanks for your valuable contribution to the discussion. You are truly the Spencer Dinwiddie of this thread.


Attack the post not the poster right Tyler Ennis?
_________________
"This game's in the refrigerator. The door is closed, the lights are out. the eggs are coolin', the butter's gettin' hard and the jello's jigglin'."
- Chick, the One & Only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Sep 2008
Posts: 17457
Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

I give it an A-.

LeBron put the Lakers at the center of the NBA universe. Getting interest from good free agents just got a lot easier for the next couple seasons.

Rondo is a good backup a d mentor for Lonzo, and if Lonzo goes down or has a flat game Ron do can step in and play ball at a far higher level than Ennis.

SG is same as last year or better, with 1 more year experikence.

SF is MUCH deeper than last year. James can still fill in as a 3, if we want Kuz to get some 4 time and we opt for one of our bigs at 5. Beaz, same story. Fact is, we still have Ingram, and we still have Hart. Now, instead of Brewer being the next option we can go with LeBron, SVI, or Lance Stephenson if he behaves.

PF we've gone from Randle, who was our best player, to LeBron James. I just started really liking Jules, but come on this is a huge upgrade. Still have Kuz backing him up. Beaz fits in there too, and Wagner can play spot minutes as he learns.

Center is where we miss the Randle/Lopez combination and I think they were a very good tandem. McGee should be good for perhaps 18 minutes a game. Zubac will really need to prove all doubters wrong unless we want to see a lot of LeBron at the 5, which could work on offense but I'd way rather not stick him defending the likes of Gobert. I'm a bit concerned about interior defense at this point.

So all in all, A-.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 3038

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

It's an A+. We got the best player in the league.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB