Believe! At least One of our Young Core will be an All-Star Next Season!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Youngin' Do You Think is Most Likely to Break Out Next Year (to Actual/Borderline All-Star Levels)?
Lonzo Ball
13%
 13%  [ 10 ]
Brandon Ingram
49%
 49%  [ 36 ]
Kyle Kuzma
19%
 19%  [ 14 ]
Josh Hart
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ivica Zubac
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
None
16%
 16%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 73

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

I think the players most likely to improve are Ingram, Kuzma and Hart. i wouldn't be surprised if Ingram becomes an All-Star caliber player this year. That, combined with improvement by Kuzma might get us to as many as 55 wins.

I'm skeptical that we'll see much improvement from Ball. He's been injured for much of the summer. Plus, he has this nonchalant vibe that makes me wonder about him. Does he have that inner fire and passion and simply doesn't show it, like a young Kobe, or does he lack drive and work ethic, maybe because of his dad? It's hard to tell right now after just his rookie year.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Vecenie and Zwicker are my guys when it comes to anything draft/prospect related....which is anything from college players to the first three years in the NBA. Vecenie was with the CBS Sports, then Sporting News for a while which is where I began reading him.....now he is with The Athletic. The guy pretty much attends/covers every big high school/AAU prospect type events year round, as well as NCAA tournaments, NBA Summer League etc. He puts in the work. Zwicker is the primary voice (in my opinion) behind The Stepien, and it would be hard to find a more detailed analyst of all things related to NBA prospects.

In my opinion....Vecenie and Zwicker are well beyond the threshold of uninformed talking heads that pontificate and give hot takes.

Draft commentators are the BS bin of the sports media. Mel Kiper is the classic example of this. He had no resume at all, but hung around talking to scouts and front office people for so long that he actually started getting recognized as an expert on something. Basically, he was a hobbyist who turned it into a career.

Zwicker sounds like the same thing. Wow, he watches AAU games.

Vecenie is one of the "used to be" guys. He used to be with CBS Sports. That's nice, but no one leaves a paying job with a network so that they can run a podcast. There are lots and lots of guys who "used to be" with CBS or SI or Fox or ESPN.

Anyway, I don't mean to paint with an overly broad brush. There are plenty of podcasters and bloggers who stay within their resumes. But when I see some young (apparently former) lawyer from Seattle opining on the prospects of the young players on the Lakers, it sounds like a waste of bandwidth to me. You can get better insights from people on this board.

Anyway, this was just a passing comment from me. I really don't understand why people listen to so many podcasts. It must be a generational thing. Get off my grass.

My sense is the talking head podcast, where people just yammer on with opinions, are losing steam. The ones that seem to attract the most attention these days tell stories with genuine reportage.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the talking heads podcasts, because it is a laborious way to consume information. They are kind of like call-in sports radio programs -- 95% of it is boring or stuff you already know. I'd rather spend 5 minutes reading an article than 30 minutes listening to people talk.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Vecenie and Zwicker are my guys when it comes to anything draft/prospect related....which is anything from college players to the first three years in the NBA. Vecenie was with the CBS Sports, then Sporting News for a while which is where I began reading him.....now he is with The Athletic. The guy pretty much attends/covers every big high school/AAU prospect type events year round, as well as NCAA tournaments, NBA Summer League etc. He puts in the work. Zwicker is the primary voice (in my opinion) behind The Stepien, and it would be hard to find a more detailed analyst of all things related to NBA prospects.

In my opinion....Vecenie and Zwicker are well beyond the threshold of uninformed talking heads that pontificate and give hot takes.

Draft commentators are the BS bin of the sports media. Mel Kiper is the classic example of this. He had no resume at all, but hung around talking to scouts and front office people for so long that he actually started getting recognized as an expert on something. Basically, he was a hobbyist who turned it into a career.

Zwicker sounds like the same thing. Wow, he watches AAU games.

Vecenie is one of the "used to be" guys. He used to be with CBS Sports. That's nice, but no one leaves a paying job with a network so that they can run a podcast. There are lots and lots of guys who "used to be" with CBS or SI or Fox or ESPN.

Anyway, I don't mean to paint with an overly broad brush. There are plenty of podcasters and bloggers who stay within their resumes. But when I see some young (apparently former) lawyer from Seattle opining on the prospects of the young players on the Lakers, it sounds like a waste of bandwidth to me. You can get better insights from people on this board.

Anyway, this was just a passing comment from me. I really don't understand why people listen to so many podcasts. It must be a generational thing. Get off my grass.

My sense is the talking head podcast, where people just yammer on with opinions, are losing steam. The ones that seem to attract the most attention these days tell stories with genuine reportage.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the talking heads podcasts, because it is a laborious way to consume information. They are kind of like call-in sports radio programs -- 95% of it is boring or stuff you already know. I'd rather spend 5 minutes reading an article than 30 minutes listening to people talk.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

Guaranteed none.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject:

Depends who's game blows up because they take advantage of having LeBron on the floor with them.

imo

Kuz
Ingram
Hart
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

if lakers are top 2 (maybe 3) team in conference the coaches will reward a player with an all star bid otherwise no
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Guaranteed none.

deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Guaranteed none.

3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Whoever from the young core gets to start with Lebron, stay there for a huge chunk of the season, and legitimately establishes himself as the unquestioned 2nd option, the Robin to Lebron's batman as we secure a top 4 spot in the west could definitely get himself involved in the conversation and be considered as an all-star candidate.

Ingram right now is in the best position to succeed as he's presumed to be a starter. Lonzo may surprise us but the injury may have hurt his chances of breaking out this year. Kuzma and Hart will both need to pull-off a sublime season off the bench to even be considered as all-stars. There have been only a handful of guys who made the all-star coming off the bench (Kobe, McHale, Ricky Pierce, Majerle, Chris Gatling).

I'm bullish on Kuzma having a breakout year but he probably won't be able to do enough to get all-star recognition.
PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject:

IF its a 'free market' that will be Kuzma. BI also has a hat in this one, I really like his chances.
Wouldn't be a bad thing if it's both of 'em.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject:

Seeing as how the reserves are completely decided by coaches, probably none of our young guys will get in. But if we're playing like a 50+ win team and BI/Lonzo shows significant improvement, I could see them garnering a lot of attention.
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

My bet would be on Lonzo Ball. If he stays healthy and improves, he has enough fame and infamy to receive enough votes.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Believe!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10
Jump to: