Was LBJ Predestined to be a Laker?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Was LBJ Predestined to be a Laker?

First, I still can't believe we signed LBJ this summer. Whether you approve/disapprove the signing, getting the unquestioned #1 FA in 2018 and likely #1 player overall is quite a seismic shift.

However, it's got me thinking, would LBJ have come to the Lakers with or without Magic/Pelinka?

Was it something that was so ingrained in LBJ's mind that he was going to finish his career as a Laker that it didn't matter? Or, was it Magic/Pelinka's personnel moves (and themselves) that influenced or contributed to LBJ's decision to join?

Personally, I think Magic/Pelinka made the decision easier for LBJ. I do think Magic was a major positive towards the signing, but remember, LBJ signed without a second all star next to him also. I would argue that LBJ was probably over 50% set on joining the Lakers years back. I think the biggest factor was winning a ring in Cleveland. Had he not won that, I could see him trying to finish "unfinished business" (the catchphrase recently of DRoz/PG13).

Put simply, would LBJ have joined this summer if Jim/Mitch were in charge?

I know the reflexive answer is "hell no" (which is my first instinct), but this may be a case of franchise/location > who is running the front office for LBJ.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

A lot of things had to come together for this to happen. Lebron knows where the good players are at, don't forget that for a second. He saw the Lakers had a good core coming up, and he had to see Lonzo in Summer League to make sure he was the real deal(he is). Lebron has always wanted to be a billion dollar athlete, so LA is always on his radar, but Lebron is the man. He isn't coming here while Kobe was here and couldn't leave Cleveland before winning a title for them. Once we won that title he was as good as gone and once Magic came in it was a done deal. I don't think he comes if Magic isn't here so give Magic props. Lebron knows he is on a team that will do anything to win.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
A lot of things had to come together for this to happen. Lebron knows where the good players are at, don't forget that for a second. He saw the Lakers had a good core coming up, and he had to see Lonzo in Summer League to make sure he was the real deal(he is). Lebron has always wanted to be a billion dollar athlete, so LA is always on his radar, but Lebron is the man. He isn't coming here while Kobe was here and couldn't leave Cleveland before winning a title for them. Once we won that title he was as good as gone and once Magic came in it was a done deal. I don't think he comes if Magic isn't here so give Magic props. Lebron knows he is on a team that will do anything to win.

I think Magic was an amazing positive, but don't you think LBJ has been setting his eyes on the Lakers for a longer time period? He bought two $20m+ mansions in Brentwood. Could it have been an auto pilot decision that Magic of course made easier?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject:

that u Jerry?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
that u Jerry?

Ha no. I was just thinking this is something that LBJ wanted. Magic absolutely made it easier as he is someone LBJ admires and respects.

Just taking an alternate view that the Lakers brand and opportunity is something that he always wanted. Of course we needed to make a few moves to make that move palatable and Magic/Rob did an excellent job making some difficult choices.
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

If the old guys were still running the show, D-Lo, Moz and Clarkson are still probably on the team. There’s a possibility they wouldn’t even have the cap space to sign a max free agent.

The team would be less attractive to free agents. Tough hypothetical to answer
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

Previous front office couldn't even get a free agent meeting with Hassan Whiteside. Only reason why Aldridge met with us was out of respect for Kobe. I seriously doubt LeBron was thinking about joining that circus.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject:

Are we having a discussion about predestination vs. free-will actions of independent social agents?
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject:

with Jim there would be infighting and dysfunction and lack of direction. he'd be still clinging to moz deng and DLO.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

IMO, he came into the NBA wanting to end up a Laker which was his childhood dream (obv based not he ESPN article he used to draw Laker and Cowboy logos in his notebooks).

However, there once Dr. Buss left things started to get progressively worse until Magic stepped in. LeBron's a smart guy, I doubt he would have jumped aboard that sinking ship/

So in sum.. my gut says he always wanted to be a Laker and given Magic and Rob, the timing is finically here.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

No way he attaches himself to Jimbo and the nightmare of a FO he created.

to play with Mozdeng? no.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

I think he grew up a Laker fan to an extent. Another poster mentioned in another thread that he's a Cowboy and Yankees fan, so he must like winners. I can see him rooting for Kobe and Shaq's early 2000's Lakers during our 3-peat. I can also see him modeling his game more after Magic than Michael. It makes more sense that LBJ is the new Magic, and Kobe was Jordan. LeBron was interviewed on the View years ago and was asked who his favorite team to play against was, and he said the Lakers. He seems to step up his "flashiness" when playing in front of the Staples crowd as well. I think he's always wanted to be in the bright lights of LA, but circumstances never allowed it to happen. Well, here he is, and I really do believe he's going to make the best of it.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

I think Magic was an amazing positive, but don't you think LBJ has been setting his eyes on the Lakers for a longer time period? He bought two $20m+ mansions in Brentwood. Could it have been an auto pilot decision that Magic of course made easier?

As many have pointed out here, lots of NBA players have homes here. I think Lakers young core/business aspirations were 80% him coming here and Magic was that last 20%
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

I just wish we could have gotten him in his prime years. Miami and Cleveland will always have those.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I just wish we could have gotten him in his prime years. Miami and Cleveland will always have those.

Lebron still gonna be a top 5 player at least the entire time he is here. Yeah we could be greedy and wish for his prime. But much like Kobe, Lebron's post prime is still better than 99% of the league.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Without question. But age 33-37 LBJ will still be a special player thanks to his ridiculous BBIQ and ability to age well as his game can shift from being a perimeter/athleticism oriented one to more of a power game.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

To answer the OP's question: No.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Great question. I think my overall answer would be no just because I think that Magic being in charge helped a lot, the fact that CLE was swept in the finals, etc definitely lined up for him jumping ship from CLE and joining LA.

That said, if the business side of things/his family's apparent preference for LA was something that was always there, I could see there being a certain inevitability to it. But the factors I mentioned previously made it a much clearer choice IMO.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

I think living his life here post-retirement was already in his plans. But I don't think he had predetermined to finish his career as a Laker. I think he probably made that decision after Magic became pres.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

I think winning the ring for the Cavs allowed the LA dream to come to realization.

I think Magic made it MUCH easier for him to come, but if we're talking along the line of the decision spectrum, IMO he doesn't come if he doesn't get a ring for the Cavs. His conscience was clear and his mission accomplished at that point.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think winning the ring for the Cavs allowed the LA dream to come to realization.

I think Magic made it MUCH easier for him to come, but if we're talking along the line of the decision spectrum, IMO he doesn't come if he doesn't get a ring for the Cavs. His conscience was clear and his mission accomplished at that point.

Good point - that was definitely another big factor.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Lebron still gonna be a top 5 player at least the entire time he is here. Yeah we could be greedy and wish for his prime. But much like Kobe, Lebron's post prime is still better than 99% of the league.

He could be but it really cuts the window short.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

I actually had thought he would be a Laker the first time he left Cleveland. I really did but when he left for Cleveland from Miami...I thought the dream was over. I knew some inner circles within the NBA who told me he always dreamt of being a Laker. I was really adamant about it but it never happened until now. I want him to play strong until he's 40 like Steve Nash but continue to be healthy and that would be a wonderful proposition for the Lakers!
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

If Jim/Mitch were still here, then no. The roster would be a mess and with all the salary cap issues we wouldn't even have enough room to sign him even if he wanted to.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

I have always felt it. And certainly always hoped for it. Surprised many here did not feel the same way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: