Was LBJ Predestined to be a Laker?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Was LBJ Predestined to be a Laker?

yinoma2001 wrote:
First, I still can't believe we signed LBJ this summer. Whether you approve/disapprove the signing, getting the unquestioned #1 FA in 2018 and likely #1 player overall is quite a seismic shift.

However, it's got me thinking, would LBJ have come to the Lakers with or without Magic/Pelinka?

Was it something that was so ingrained in LBJ's mind that he was going to finish his career as a Laker that it didn't matter? Or, was it Magic/Pelinka's personnel moves (and themselves) that influenced or contributed to LBJ's decision to join?

Personally, I think Magic/Pelinka made the decision easier for LBJ. I do think Magic was a major positive towards the signing, but remember, LBJ signed without a second all star next to him also. I would argue that LBJ was probably over 50% set on joining the Lakers years back. I think the biggest factor was winning a ring in Cleveland. Had he not won that, I could see him trying to finish "unfinished business" (the catchphrase recently of DRoz/PG13).

Put simply, would LBJ have joined this summer if Jim/Mitch were in charge?

I know the reflexive answer is "hell no" (which is my first instinct), but this may be a case of franchise/location > who is running the front office for LBJ.

Keep in mind Mitch and Buss had given up on cap space with the contracts they gave out to Moz and Deng. They were going all in on home grow, so they wouldn't have done the Russell trade.

No Lebron under Mitch and Jim. I agreed with the movement in 2016 because I didn't want Bron either. I wanted Bron in 14. I thought in 18 he'd be done in terms of being elite. But here we are and he's still the best.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I just wish we could have gotten him in his prime years. Miami and Cleveland will always have those.

Without question. But age 33-37 LBJ will still be a special player thanks to his ridiculous BBIQ and ability to age well as his game can shift from being a perimeter/athleticism oriented one to more of a power game.

If we disregard mileage and go by age. Lebron's next two seasons is around the same time as MJ's 97 & 98 title yrs. MJ was 2 months into age 34 when the playoffs started in April of 97. In April of 2019, Lebron will be 4 months into age 34.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I just wish we could have gotten him in his prime years. Miami and Cleveland will always have those.

Without question. But age 33-37 LBJ will still be a special player thanks to his ridiculous BBIQ and ability to age well as his game can shift from being a perimeter/athleticism oriented one to more of a power game.

If we disregard mileage and go by age. Lebron's next two seasons is around the same time as MJ's 97 & 98 title yrs. MJ was 2 months into age 34 when the playoffs started in April of 97. In April of 2019, Lebron will be 4 months into age 34.

And without MJ's maniacal night life (all night gambling sessions).
VocabuLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Was LBJ Predestined to be a Laker?

yinoma2001 wrote:
First, I still can't believe we signed LBJ this summer. Whether you approve/disapprove the signing, getting the unquestioned #1 FA in 2018 and likely #1 player overall is quite a seismic shift.

However, it's got me thinking, would LBJ have come to the Lakers with or without Magic/Pelinka?

Was it something that was so ingrained in LBJ's mind that he was going to finish his career as a Laker that it didn't matter? Or, was it Magic/Pelinka's personnel moves (and themselves) that influenced or contributed to LBJ's decision to join?

Personally, I think Magic/Pelinka made the decision easier for LBJ. I do think Magic was a major positive towards the signing, but remember, LBJ signed without a second all star next to him also. I would argue that LBJ was probably over 50% set on joining the Lakers years back. I think the biggest factor was winning a ring in Cleveland. Had he not won that, I could see him trying to finish "unfinished business" (the catchphrase recently of DRoz/PG13).

I know the reflexive answer is "hell no" (which is my first instinct), but this may be a case of franchise/location > who is running the front office for LBJ.

Not sure if he would have come if Mitch and Jim were in charge, but I know for a fact and have posted on this forum several times that as early as Fall 2017 it was 100% done that LeBron was going to become a Laker in Free Agency. Perhaps Mitch and Jim would have made his decision a bit tougher?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Was LBJ Predestined to be a Laker?

VocabuLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Not sure if he would have come if Mitch and Jim were in charge, but I know for a fact and have posted on this forum several times that as early as Fall 2017 it was 100% done that LeBron was going to become a Laker in Free Agency. Perhaps Mitch and Jim would have made his decision a bit tougher?

Right.

I think that's my premise.

That at some point, LBJ had his sights set on the Lakers (probably after they lost their first battle against KD which was after they won a ring for the Cavs).

So he had a general concept of joining the Lakers; and Magic was the closer and Rob made the tough moves to make it possible. But LBJ's gaze was upon the Lakers; he was waiting for the conditions to be ideal.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: