MICHAEL BEASLEY (1-year $3.5M) chose Lakers over OKC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
32 wrote:
https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/1021504926382542853

at least he is half correct...2 out of 4 players have rings.

But that is how you take a shot at the media. I like B-Easy.

#BannersOverBillboards
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
@billoram
Beasley also responded strongly when @taniaganguli asked about the potential for drama in the Lakers locker room: "For that to even be a narrative of the personalities in this room is judgment enough for me, and I just don’t want to be a part of it."

Quote:
@taniaganguli
My ? was more about the narrative that there's a potential for drama. At the end off the call, Beasley added "I just want to let y’all know I’m not trying to be difficult or anything like that, I just wanted to make the interview about having fun and playing basketball."

Sounds good to me. Don't allow the media to keep pushing that narrative if that isn't who you really are. Last year I mistakenly didn't want Rondo on the team because of the media narrative. He went on to have a great season while Tyler Ennis was our backup PG and a starter when Lonzo was hurt. Javale is a minimum player now because of his media narrative even though he just a had two no problem championship seasons with the Warriors.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Quote:
@billoram
Beasley also responded strongly when @taniaganguli asked about the potential for drama in the Lakers locker room: "For that to even be a narrative of the personalities in this room is judgment enough for me, and I just don’t want to be a part of it."

Quote:
@taniaganguli
My ? was more about the narrative that there's a potential for drama. At the end off the call, Beasley added "I just want to let y’all know I’m not trying to be difficult or anything like that, I just wanted to make the interview about having fun and playing basketball."

Sounds good to me. Don't allow the media to keep pushing that narrative if that isn't who you really are. Last year I mistakenly didn't want Rondo on the team because of the media narrative. He went on to have a great season while Tyler Ennis was our backup PG and a starter when Lonzo was hurt. Javale is a minimum player now because of his media narrative even though he just a had two no problem championship seasons with the Warriors.

I like these guys...had to address my preconceived ideas about them too...and I'm glad I did.

#BannersOverBillboards
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Wow, that phone interview regarding "narratives & reputations" makes me realize that infamous "brain usage" video wasn't done in complete jest. He's really dialed in & just wants to ball.

That's really admirable and this is becoming a team I can't wait to root for. Not that it matters, but if they can shut up their "Laker fan" twitter trolls like Anthony Irwin & the general national blog bois media, it would my most favorite Laker team ever.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Beasley still has the talent that made him a #2 overall pick. He seems to have matured. Maybe he can finally put it all together here?
Tick
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:

It's a one year deal. Kind of hard to get excited about a 1 year deal. He's a veteran player, and has played in many different kinds of environments (teams), thus making him the kind of player that should be able to adapt to new settings pretty easily.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

I’m about 10 years into my career, reliable at what I do now. But that first five years I busted my ass and made a ton of mistakes. There’s something about these journeymen that have found a way to stay in the NBA and learn to play different types of ball against the best. You don’t have to baby those types of players. Like when you hear about Rondo asking for personnel tape upon first visit to the training facility. I mean, I can’t wait to see this team figure it out. I’m lit af.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Beasley still has the talent that made him a #2 overall pick. He seems to have matured. Maybe he can finally put it all together here?

I think he has pretty much put it together when looking at last season, perhaps not totally, perhaps he will never reach his full potential, but he has grown up on and off of the court from what I see. 24PPG per 36 or so I believe, I think a great signing, adds to the depth even more so.

Last edited by FreakofNature on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

To paraphrase the great Lebron James. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to compete for an NBA Championship.

Those were supposedly shots fired at PG when Bron heard that PG was staying in OKC. Well, we have B-Easy who chooses LA over OKC. At least this guy wants to compete. I can’t wait to see them in the playoffs, if they even get there.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

www.thescore.com/nba/news/1574334

"If everybody does their job right and stops judging some players, me mainly, you'll figure out that guys like me and Nick Young and J.R. Smith and Lance Stephenson and guys like that actually know how to play basketball, actually know how to win basketball games and actually know how to get along with others,"

"For that to even be a narrative of the personalities in this room is judgment enough for me, and I just don't want to be a part of it,"

Looks like his head and desire are in the right place, and that's to win and win only.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:

It would be a good story.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:

"If everybody does their job right and stops judging some players, me mainly, you'll figure out that guys like me and Nick Young and J.R. Smith and Lance Stephenson and guys like that actually know how to play basketball, actually know how to win basketball games and actually know how to get along with others,"

"For that to even be a narrative of the personalities in this room is judgment enough for me, and I just don't want to be a part of it,"

Looks like his head and desire are in the right place, and that's to win and win only.

He really didn't lump himself in with much BBall IQ with that statement.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

He's basically saying that he and those guys mentioned above are regarded as players who dont get the respect they deserve for some reason. And he's right, they have this reputation about them from their early years that has carried over, but all of them haven't been problems for their teams.

Young: His Washington team was a bad start for his career and he had buzz with the D'Lo / Iggy situation in LA (but that's stuff off the court)
JR: Aside from his Finals Game 1 screw up, he's been fairly under the radar for a while.
Lance: He bounced around the league and didnt play so well outside of his 1st and 2nd run in Indiana, but again, he tries to get under peoples skin, and that gives him a bad rep.
Beasley's been under the radar the past 2-4 years and hasnt been a problem.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Why did we not just give Beasley the full room exception? There is only $949K left which is less than a minimum contract....and the extra million may have been useful in a trade.

My guess is there are two reasons.

1) The minimum is pro-rated, the room exception is not. As an example, Brewer signed with OKC for 500k. The Lakers could offer 900k. I doubt 400k is a deciding factor though.

2) If there is a young player we like, if we give him the Room exception, we can give a multi year deal and make him a RFA at some point.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Can Beasley play the role that Julius would've played this upcoming season alongside Lebron? He seems more talented offensively than JR, but can he bring the kind of defense that Jules was starting to bring?
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

In that last sentence he did...and in the 1st paragraph he was telling the media straight out that he's (and a lot of other players) aren't the narrative that the media wants to keep portraying them as.

Beasley as Chinese League MVP
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/02/29/michael-beasley-named-foreign-mvp-of-chinese-league/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c2290d750073

Stopping a Fight
https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/1/28/10858808/china-cba-michael-beasley-is-a-hero-jason-maxiell-eats-babies

And the best article on him
https://theathletic.com/306654/2018/04/10/think-you-know-michael-beasley-he-wants-to-change-your-perception-even-if-it-might-not-be-possible/

#BannersOverBillboards
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject:

I was watching some Beasley highlights from last year, and that outside jumper, the form kind of reminded me of the Matrix. He knows how to play and will grind it out in the paint. Defense, probably not so much 1 on 1, but he will probably be a decent team defender in our schemes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
eureca wrote:
Quote:
@billoram

Quote:
@taniaganguli

I like these guys...had to address my preconceived ideas about them too...and I'm glad I did.

If I was Lebron, I would lean into these narratives as a bonding and motivational tool. I would schedule three evening get togethers at the house before camp......request the wife and family go out for the evenings.....players only, and just hang out by the pool, have some beverages and snacks......

Meeting #1 - Vets (aka perceived knuckleheads) - KCP, Rondo, McGee, Beasley, Lance and Deng....and I would just talk with the guys about the media narrative (quote some articles), and how they need to prove doubters wrong, change the perception, etc. Make sure the locker room sticks together and keeps business in house. Make it kind of a rallying cry for the season.

Meeting #2 - Young Guys (aka trade bait) - Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart, Zubac, Wagner, Bonga, Zu and Caruso.....and even include the camp guys Carroll, Berry, Williams to make sure everyone is on the same page for camp. Again....bond around the narrative and proving the doubters wrong.....the narrative is basically these guys are not good enough to play on a real contender, and will be used as trade assets to acquire real players.

Meeting #3 - Everyone...and its all about the team playing together, for each other, and supporting each other....excel at the role you need to play on this team....and shock the world.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:

He did beat LeBron in 1 on 1 so there is still time for him to be a good player, he is still only 29.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
eureca wrote:
Quote:
@billoram

Quote:
@taniaganguli

If I was Lebron, I would lean into these narratives as a bonding and motivational tool. I would schedule three evening get togethers at the house before camp......request the wife and family go out for the evenings.....players only, and just hang out by the pool, have some beverages and snacks......

Meeting #1 - Vets (aka perceived knuckleheads) - KCP, Rondo, McGee, Beasley, Lance and Deng....and I would just talk with the guys about the media narrative (quote some articles), and how they need to prove doubters wrong, change the perception, etc. Make sure the locker room sticks together and keeps business in house. Make it kind of a rallying cry for the season.

Meeting #2 - Young Guys (aka trade bait) - Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart, Zubac, Wagner, Bonga, Zu and Caruso.....and even include the camp guys Carroll, Berry, Williams to make sure everyone is on the same page for camp. Again....bond around the narrative and proving the doubters wrong.....the narrative is basically these guys are not good enough to play on a real contender, and will be used as trade assets to acquire real players.

Meeting #3 - Everyone...and its all about the team playing together, for each other, and supporting each other....excel at the role you need to play on this team....and shock the world.

I heard something that stuck with me...Dont waste your energy trying to prove your detractors wrong, spend your energy proving your supporters right.

Check out that article on Beasley if you haven't already...dude has a mega chip on his shoulder. Impossible not to like him.

#BannersOverBillboards
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I love Beasley. Wish he would have been able to get paid with a more established role on another team.

The chance of signing Beasley is why I was possibly ok with a Ingram/Kuzma trade for Kawhi
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm really looking forward to seeing him play this year for us. Really has improved his offensive game and he's 29 years old now.

Good showcase for Beez/JaVale to disabuse the notion that they're knuckleheads (which they haven't been and have been productive players). Lance, a different kind of situation but LBJ wanted him so there's that.
StillSWOL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I actually hope Beasley sticks around for a few years it's clear he's at the point where he just wants to ball and win, so much talent and with that kind set there is a place on a championship caliber team for that kind of dude

He played in summer league a few years ago, just because he wanted to get out and ball

Love that
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Going to be interesting to see if Luke plays him at the 5 spot ever. The rim protection is going to suffer for sure.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

StillSWOL wrote:
I actually hope Beasley sticks around for a few years it's clear he's at the point where he just wants to ball and win, so much talent and with that kind set there is a place on a championship caliber team for that kind of dude

He played in summer league a few years ago, just because he wanted to get out and ball

Love that

Beasley could end up being the Lakers latest version of Rick Fox.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 26 of 45
Jump to: