The Blueprint - What Kind of Team is the FO Really Trying to Create?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: The Blueprint - What Kind of Team is the FO Really Trying to Create?

They had a lot of talent that didn’t look like it fit. They won a lot of games and won a championship.
Derek Anderson Shandon Anderson Wade Haslem Walker Posey Shaq Mourning etc... I’m hoping Luke can find away to make these players fit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: This Roster reminds me of the 2005 Miami Heat.

Car54 wrote:
They had a lot of talent that didn’t look like it fit. They won a lot of games and won a championship.
Derek Anderson Shandon Anderson Wade Haslem Walker Posey Shaq Mourning etc... I’m hoping Luke can find away to make these players fit

That was 2006. And A few things Happened during that heat run.

1. Riley fired Stan van Gundy mid season and took over the team. Leading them to victory
2. Wade was getting like 16 free throws per game making him almost impossible to guard
3. Donaghy was still reffing in the league

So. If you think magic will Fire luke mid season and take over the team, Lebron will get 16 ft per game and we have a corrupt official who is on our side than yes!!! It’s almost identical
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: This Roster reminds me of the 2005 Miami Heat.

999 wrote:
Car54 wrote:

1. Riley fired Stan van Gundy mid season and took over the team. Leading them to victory
2. Wade was getting like 16 free throws per game making him almost impossible to guard

So. If you think magic will Fire luke mid season and take over the team, Lebron will get 16 ft per game and we have a corrupt official who is on our side than yes!!! It’s almost identical

we are ahead of schedule - byron fired 2 years ago.
bi gets a lot of free throws but needs to convert.
no idea on a ref though...
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: This Roster reminds me of the 2005 Miami Heat.

999 wrote:
Car54 wrote:

The ref the free throws or anything else you mentioned have nothing to do with my post. Most didn’t think that team made sense or the parts fit and the same is being said about this team. This nonsense about the ref I’m not even asking or this team to win a championship. I’m just hoping Luke finds a way to make this a competitive team.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject:

One of the kids (or Kawhi if they trade for him) is going to have to play at an All-NBA level to make this comparison work.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
One of the kids (or Kawhi if they trade for him) is going to have to play at an All-NBA level to make this comparison work.

Theres this guy named Lebron. I hear he's pretty good and one day may be the best player in the league.
Reilec142002
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Theres this guy named Lebron. I hear he's pretty good and one day may be the best player in the league.

I heard hes pretty good.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:

I don't get the comparison myself. If you look back at 2005 NBA previews, people were enthusiastic about the Heat and they thought the big moves they made to get Walker and Williams really solidified the team. Don't know where you get the idea that people thought they didn't fit. My impression is that the feeling was just the opposite.

Anyway, they were a team with a superstar on the rise (Wade) and a superstar on the decline (Shaq), and they stocked up with a bunch of Hall of Famers/all stars a few years past their prime for one last hurrah with Shaq.

Don't see how that's comparable to the current Laker team myself. In fact, I can't think of a comparable situation in NBA history where arguably the best player in the game joined a bad team with a bunch of young, promising but unproven players, and then added a bunch of solid journeymen. I consider this uncharted territory myself.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: This Roster reminds me of the 2005 Miami Heat.

Car54 wrote:

Wasn't the Glove on that team too?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

In addition to Lebron, obviously.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject:

Miami played in a much weaker conference and didn’t have to beat Golden State. When they won the championship they only won 52 games and that was still good enough for a #2 seed. They didn’t have to beat the Spurs and Suns that year.

In this situation Lebron finally moved into the tougher conference.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject:

I love how people are freaking out about how our end of bench guys don't fit together, when our top8 will likely be LeBron/Ingram/Kuzma/Ball/Rondo/McGee/Hart/KCP and they fit REALLY well together.

Who cares if Beasley or Lance are our guys playing garbage time? The Beasley signing for me is the most symptomatic. If the Warriors signed this guy, everyone would be like "OMG GSW signed another scorer for cheap, the NBA is over, (bleep) you KD".
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

that heat team still had 2 all NBA level players on it. Outside of Lebron we dont have player who can even make the all star game yet.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
that heat team still had 2 all NBA level players on it. Outside of Lebron we dont have player who can even make the all star game yet.

Agreed.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

More like the Bad Boy Pistons 2.0.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

I can't see anyone even half the size of Shaq on the current roster. And the only player in the league challenging Free Throw Wade is Harden.

But if you want to compare them winning a championship I'm all with you. Just don't fire Luke on the way.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject:

I don't see any real comparison to that Heat team.

Instead, I think Magic is trying to recreate his own Laker teams from the mid 80s. He and Pelinka constantly talk about how we will play fast, and now we have the depth to constantly have guys on the floor who are between 6-5 and 6-9 and can run, score and (hopefully) play D.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: I think I see the blueprint for this Laker team

I've seen threads comparing our current roster to the 2004 Pistons, 2005 Heat or even the late 80s Pistons. I see no comparison to any of those teams.

The closest model I see are Magic's own Laker teams from the mid 80s. Except for Rondo, most of our rotation guys are between 6-5 and 6-9 and can run, score and create off a dribble at least a little bit, just like those showtime teams. I also feel like the emphasis will be on defense, especially later in the season when these guys have figured out how to play with each other on offense.

Other than Ingram and/or Kuzma becoming Lebron's sidekick or co-star, I think defense will be the X-factor for this team. Magic has said he wants us to play even faster than we did last year. As they say, you can't run if you don't have the ball. I wonder if we'll be a good enough defensive rebounding team for our transition game to reach its full potential. I also hope we see some pressure D at times, where we trap guys and play full court D like how Magic's showtime teams did when they really wanted to speed the game up.

To do all that, you always need fresh guys in the game who can run and are skilled at both ends. The Warriors don't have a bad bench, but their bench isn't exactly great either. We may have the makings of a bench that can extend leads and put the pressure on the Warriors. This can also allow Lebron to only play 33-35 minutes a game.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject:

I agree that the emphasis will be on defense, but the comparison to the bad boy pistons is in relation to the defense being more gritty than what you see in modern nba, without the frustration that may lead to psyching ourselves out of games. Our bench can also be a defensive force with the second stringers keeping the pressure on the opposition. I also think that’s where the offense and play making comes into effect. Yes, we can be gritty defensively, but we can also score the basket and pass better than anybody else. We have elite playmakers, with the best of the best in LBJ. He also collapses opposing defenses and opens up the floor for everybody else.

So while defensively, we will put the pressure on guys, offensively, we can score 100 points at the same time.

In my opinion, it’s a recipe for success, regardless of what the media says about the alleged “character flaws” of our guys.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
I agree that the emphasis will be on defense, but the comparison to the bad boy pistons is in relation to the defense being more gritty than what you see in modern nba, without the frustration that may lead to psyching ourselves out of games. Our bench can also be a defensive force with the second stringers keeping the pressure on the opposition. I also think that’s where the offense and play making comes into effect. Yes, we can be gritty defensively, but we can also score the basket and pass better than anybody else. We have elite playmakers, with the best of the best in LBJ. He also collapses opposing defenses and opens up the floor for everybody else.

So while defensively, we will put the pressure on guys, offensively, we can score 100 points at the same time.

In my opinion, it’s a recipe for success, regardless of what the media says about the alleged “character flaws” of our guys.

Not just that, but I think we'll look to run teams out of the gym. Most fast break teams have one guy that can push the pace. We have three - Lebron, Ball and Rondo. So it's more like we'll score 110-115 points a game than just 100.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
GTL wrote:

Not just that, but I think we'll look to run teams out of the gym. Most fast break teams have one guy that can push the pace. We have three - Lebron, Ball and Rondo. So it's more like we'll score 110-115 points a game than just 100.

Exactly. And I think it’s important to emphasize that defense can also he played on a psychological level by getting in guys heads. Granted, I wouldn’t be saying this is we didn’t have LeBron and to an extent, even Rondo leading the pack, but it’s pretty great knowing that he has enforcers out there playing alongside him. I think Magic put an emphasis on making us the toughest team in the West.

Not only can we run teams out of the gym, but we can afford to get in their heads, because I truly believe that as long as we have LeBron, we have a chance to win any game or any series.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Nobody is going to attempt to push around Kuzma, Lonzo, Hart or BI.

And I’ve said this multiple times but, we’re the team no other western conference team (sans the GS All Stars) wants to play in the post season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject:

The blueprint for this team is to hope we score again next offseason.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

It's remarkable that the Showtime team comparison gets hauled out. Sheesh.

This squad is nothing like those guys at all. How easy it is to forget (it seems) that before Magic Johnson was drafted to the club, the Lakers had two all-NBA players on board (Wilkes, Abdul-Jabbar) who each already owned key roles on past college and NBA championship teams. Each has been RoY. The Lakers were making regular trips into the playoffs before Magic arrived. Kareem was a scoring god in this league, and Wilkes was in his prime physically. We have no one accomplished like that at all here today, except LeBron (who will be age 34 before New Years.)

Adding LeBron to this crew isn't like adding Magic to the '79-'80 team, tempting as it may be to imagine that it is.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't read more into it than what's necessary, we aren't gonna beat GSW this year and that's that. Personally I think the FO knows this year is a write-off from the perspective of contending for a championship, and deliberately filled the roster up with easy scapegoats on 1 year contracts to serve as distractions for the media.

We all know that with any Lebron team comes a media circus and witchhunt for the ultimate scapegoat, we also know we have a very talented young core that needs 1-2 more years of development before they're able to threaten the real contenders in the playoffs.

Hence while Javale, Rondo, Beasley and Lance aren't bad players, I think they are just the decoys for the media this year so that our young core can keep developing without attracting the media backlash that comes with being Lebron's teammate.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: