ESPN NBA Power Rankings: Lakers #9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you agree with the Lakers #9 ranking?
Too low
62%
 62%  [ 80 ]
Too high
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Just about right
34%
 34%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 129

Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Why is Philly at #4?
Key additions: Zhaire Smith, Landry Shamet, Shake Milton, Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala and Jonah Bolden

Key subtractions: Ersan Ilyasova, Marco Belinelli, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, Justin Anderson and Richaun Holmes

Lol they lost much more then they added
JohnDoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
over 50% of the roster is new....have not played together....crazy mix of strong personalities....young core hoping to improve.....more question marks, and variables that any other playoff team. I think #9 is very fair given what is known right now.

JohnDoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
I also have no problem with the ranking... better to be considered the underdog and exceed expectations.

However, if the kids develop... I also think we can go all the way... so let's see what happens.

lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject:

#9 is fair, but the list is kind of weird

PHI, WAS, Portland are too high while Milwaukee and Minnesota too low. My list would be

1. GSW
2. Celtics
3. Hou
4. Toronto
5. OKC
6. Utah
7. PHI
8. Lakers
9. New Orleans
10. Spurs
11. Min
12. Denver
13. Portland
14. Bucks
15. Memphis
16. Pacers
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
repandpresent wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
6th out West? GS, Houston, and who else? OKC, Utah, NOP, whoever else.... I don't see it.

OKC with Dennis Schroeder off the bench is huge. I really wanted them to struggle but damn, that's one hell of a pick up.

I agree, picking him up was huge. Livingston is the only back up point I can think of that's better than him.

Rondo will be the best backup point in the league by far.

Schroeder fit as non shooting PG playing with WB is as a great fit as Lance is with us. It will blow up by December
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject:

Lots of comedy in this list:

Lakers below Denver- a team that doesn’t play defense and signed IT to a vet min deal as their big offseason addition.

OKC over Utah ? Really ?

Philly is 4th overall ?

GS is the only team in the West that is definitely better than the Lakers at this point. Houston lost their two best perimeter defenders and the Lakers already matched up well with them, so I've got LAL vs Hou as a tossup.

I could see Utah finishing ahead of the Lakers, as they will start the season with continuity and a lot of momentum. Snyder is an excellent coach, Mitchell should take another step forward and Exum still has some upside. If Gobert and Rubio can stay healthy, they could finish with a top 3 seed.

Everyone else in the West is a tier or more down from the Lakers imo.

GS
on their own tier, although they may not finish with the top seed due to lack of interest/energy.

Lakers, Houston, Utah
seem to be a cut or two above the rest and should round out the top 4.

OKC or the Pels are the next tier down, but should be better than the bubble teams as long as they stay healthy.

Spurs
DD in for KL should help the Spurs make it in if LMA beasts out again, but they've got a lot of iso guys now who may not fit together well offensively anf who don't defend well.

PDX, Denver, Minnesota
I think these 3 are fighting for the last spot, barring injuries to other teams.
PDX lost 3 rotation players, Denver doesn't play D, and Minnesota may implode over the locker room issues.

Memphis is the only other team that I see having even a remote shot, but everything would have to break perfectly for them to get in.

Hopefully the Lakers gel early and get off to a good start. Would be nice to get a top 4 seed locked up and let the others fight it out the last week or two.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Why is Philly at #4?
Key additions: Zhaire Smith, Landry Shamet, Shake Milton, Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala and Jonah Bolden

Key subtractions: Ersan Ilyasova, Marco Belinelli, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, Justin Anderson and Richaun Holmes

They start with more than we do and they play in the East.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

I think it's a little low, but that's fine. It's better to climb the rankings and surprise people than to be overrated to start the season.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:

Lakers below Denver- a team that doesn’t play defense and signed IT to a vet min deal as their big offseason addition.

OKC over Utah ? Really ?

Philly is 4th overall ?

GS is the only team in the West that is definitely better than the Lakers at this point. Houston lost their two best perimeter defenders and the Lakers already matched up well with them, so I've got LAL vs Hou as a tossup.

I could see Utah finishing ahead of the Lakers, as they will start the season with continuity and a lot of momentum. Snyder is an excellent coach, Mitchell should take another step forward and Exum still has some upside. If Gobert and Rubio can stay healthy, they could finish with a top 3 seed.

GS
on their own tier, although they may not finish with the top seed due to lack of interest/energy.

Lakers, Houston, Utah

OKC or the Pels are the next tier down, but should be better than the bubble teams as long as they stay healthy.

Spurs
DD in for KL should help the Spurs make it in if LMA beasts out again, but they've got a lot of iso guys now who may not fit together well offensively anf who don't defend well.

PDX, Denver, Minnesota
I think these 3 are fighting for the last spot, barring injuries to other teams.
PDX lost 3 rotation players, Denver doesn't play D, and Minnesota may implode over the locker room issues.

Memphis is the only other team that I see having even a remote shot, but everything would have to break perfectly for them to get in.

Hopefully the Lakers gel early and get off to a good start. Would be nice to get a top 4 seed locked up and let the others fight it out the last week or two.

You and I went back and forth on the value of IT, so I won't make you relive that... but what about Michael Porter Jr... what about having Paul Millsap?

Denver has a lot of question marks... but they were 3 games from the number 3 seed... and they added possibly one of the best rookies in the draft... they get Millsap for the whole season instead of less than half.
Jamal Murray will continue to improve... and yes, IT will be a problem if his surgery will be a success.

I think we will beat them. It will be an interesting test of all of our theories whether defense and length can defeat offense. But I would not sleep on Denver and I'd take them deadly serious.

The Western conference will be crazy this year... if our young players continue their forward development... if Lonzo finds his shot... If Ingram and Kuzma become legit 20 point scorers... If KCP's shooting was no fluke... if Svi can adapt to NBA length and pace... if Moe develops his base and core... if Rondo, Lance, and McGee don't turn the team into a circus... we can beat anyone and we can win the championship. I'm very excited for this season. But everyone got better, and it will take extreme determination and mental toughness to make it through the West.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Sweet. Feels good to not be ranked in the high 20s.

You got that right.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

OKC over Utah ? Really ?

Philly is 4th overall ?

GS

Lakers, Houston, Utah

Spurs

PDX, Denver, Minnesota

You and I went back and forth on the value of IT, so I won't make you relive that... but what about Michael Porter Jr... what about having Paul Millsap?

Denver has a lot of question marks... but they were 3 games from the number 3 seed... and they added possibly one of the best rookies in the draft... they get Millsap for the whole season instead of less than half.
Jamal Murray will continue to improve... and yes, IT will be a problem if his surgery will be a success.

I think we will beat them. It will be an interesting test of all of our theories whether defense and length can defeat offense. But I would not sleep on Denver and I'd take them deadly serious.

The Western conference will be crazy this year... if our young players continue their forward development... if Lonzo finds his shot... If Ingram and Kuzma become legit 20 point scorers... If KCP's shooting was no fluke... if Svi can adapt to NBA length and pace... if Moe develops his base and core... if Rondo, Lance, and McGee don't turn the team into a circus... we can beat anyone and we can win the championship. I'm very excited for this season. But everyone got better, and it will take extreme determination and mental toughness to make it through the West.

I agree with your last paragraph about the Lakers, but Denver isn’t a team I’m worried about. And I certainly wouldn’t put them ahead of the Lakers in a pre-season power ranking, which is supposed to reflect how strong a team is right now.

We have no idea what IT is going to look like. There’s a reason he got a min deal. He couldn’t even play at the end of last year because of his injury.

Porter Jr just had his second back surgery in 8 months and there’s no timetable for his return. People have started talking about red-shirting him this year.

Quote:

From NBA.com:

Michael Porter Jr., who slid to Denver at No. 14 in the NBA Draft due to ongoing back issues, had a second surgery last week, NBA.com learned Wednesday. The team confirmed the procedure on Thursday, issuing a statement that read: "Michael Porter Jr. has undergone surgery of the lumbar spine at The Carrell Clinic in Dallas, Texas. The Procedure was performed by Dr. Andrew Dossett. There is no timetable for his return to basketball participation."

We split with the Nuggs last year, and we were in control of both games in Denver, but could not close at the end. Lebron changes that.

I just don’t think Denver is in the same class as the Pels and OKC, much less Utah and Houston, which is where I think the Lakers are.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Why is Philly at #4?

Fultz....
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I feel like we should be above OKC, a team which lost in the first round in 5 games last season.

They added shroeder and they are getting back their top 5 defender in the league (Roberson).
So I don't take it as an insult.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

I think Lakers going to surprise everyone this year. Not sure how it's going to pan out. Not saying they are for sure winning it all. I just think if he stays healthy, the Lebron effect is real.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Why is Philly at #4?

They start with more than we do and they play in the East.

The power rankings are all 30 teams and not just for East.

They have a big guy who they couldn't play in the playoffs.

Looks like the grass is always greener on other side for you
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Why is Philly at #4?

They won 52 games last season, their 2 best players are 22 and 24 and on the rise, and they return their top 5 rotation players?
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

I thought we were a 50 win team last season, but injuries and poor free throwing made us look a lot worse than we are.

I think we'll be #2 or #3. Boston will have a better record because they'll be feasting on a bunch of weak East teams but Houston is definitely not better than us.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Cavs finished 4th in the east with Lebron avg like 38 mpg in an inferior league...

And you guys expect lebron to carry us in the west to potentially number 2 spot?
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
Cavs finished 4th in the east with Lebron avg like 38 mpg in an inferior league...

And you guys expect lebron to carry us in the west to potentially number 2 spot?

Because our supporting cast is leagues above that trash the Cavs were putting on the court.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject:

KungPau wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:

Because our supporting cast is leagues above that trash the Cavs were putting on the court.

our players are light years better then the Cavs roster from last year, no doubt about it.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
KungPau wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:

our players are light years better then the Cavs roster from last year, no doubt about it.

It's debatable honestly.

Our best players all pretty much play the same position... and we don't really have good spacing/shooters in this roster right now.

Cavs are also battle tested, while our young guns haven't sniff the playoffs in their whole career combined.

Also, in terms of defense, I would rate

Hill over ZO
KCP over Smith
Green over Ingram
Nance over kuzma
Tristan over any center.

Remember, the cavs roster was basically build by Lebron....... Our roster seems like a temp roster waiting for the summer of 2019.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

LeBron's history (as the iron man leading his team's play while producing deep playoff runs with various types of teams) have had a common denominator: everything runs through a healthy LeBron from the perimeter.

Leads me to think that the best chance of a deep Laker charge in the postseason uses that same model. It relies on two things far above all other considerations: 1) the extent to which this year's Laker club actually implements that model without wavering from it; 2) the extent to which LeBron is healthy at the end of the regular season.

There is some risk of not fulfilling both, not sure how much risk, but divergence from either would spell the end to team's playoff dreams this season.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Do it mitch
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:

lewis wrote:
#9 is fair, but the list is kind of weird

PHI, WAS, Portland are too high while Milwaukee and Minnesota too low. My list would be

1. GSW
2. Celtics
3. Hou
4. Toronto
5. OKC
6. Utah
7. PHI
8. Lakers
9. New Orleans
10. Spurs
11. Min
12. Denver
13. Portland
14. Bucks
15. Memphis
16. Pacers

NO and the Spurs with DeRoz, could sneak in depending on their schedule. Lakers will be fine, they need a couple of months to get used to playing together...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: