Do the Lakers Have a Top 3 Bench?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

We have a lot of depth and it’s going to take creativity to keep everyone happy with playing time. I think this rotation does that and gives everyone a nice run when they do get into a game. .

It doesn't matter if everyone is happy; it's not a park league. Ultimately, it's about what is most effective. Like I said, I'd be surprised if the Lakers go with an 11-man rotation; I think the more likely scenario is one of these guys is going to be nailed to the bench. But we shall see ...
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

We have a lot of depth and it’s going to take creativity to keep everyone happy with playing time. I think this rotation does that and gives everyone a nice run when they do get into a game. .

It doesn't matter if everyone is happy; it's not a park league. Ultimately, it's about what is most effective. Like I said, I'd be surprised if the Lakers go with an 11-man rotation; I think the more likely scenario is one of these guys is going to be nailed to the bench. But we shall see ...

Chemistry matters and one bad apple can ruin chemistry for everyone. I think everyone will get their time and rotations will shorten when playoffs come around. Until then I think we stick to a 10 man rotation.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
depth wise, i see our roster rotation as 12 players.

(minus the rookies, 10), but both provide a need and will get quality burn time. thats alot of depth. Lots of fresh bodies to input.

I count 13 (or 11 plus Moe and Svi)

Lonzo - Rondo
KCP - Hart
Ingram - Kuzma - Stephenson
LeBron - Beasley
McGee - Zubac

Who of these are you seeing as completely out of the rotation?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject:

I think the reason we built such a deep bench is b/c of all the injuries we had last year.

Rondo is a justifiable pickup due to Lonzo's durability/injury issues. BI also missed 20+ games so it would make sense to have some wing depth too.

I think it's smart to not assume that our starters will remain healthy all year. We are 2 deep at every spot now.
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think the reason we built such a deep bench is b/c of all the injuries we had last year.

Rondo is a justifiable pickup due to Lonzo's durability/injury issues. BI also missed 20+ games so it would make sense to have some wing depth too.

I think it's smart to not assume that our starters will remain healthy all year. We are 2 deep at every spot now.

Players who should be in the G League were playing for the Lakers, that's all you needed to know on one of the things that did go wrong last season.

Competition for places should be encouraged, it's on the young pups to take on that challenge and showcase they're the real deal. We have problems if they can't beat out our misfits .
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

(minus the rookies, 10), but both provide a need and will get quality burn time. thats alot of depth. Lots of fresh bodies to input.

Lonzo - Rondo
KCP - Hart
LeBron - Beasley
McGee - Zubac

I could easily see Zubac not making the rotation.

Beasley could drop out because of his crappy defense.

Stephenson could drop out because of redundancy.

Hart could slide back from his rookie year and lose playing time.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
markjay wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

Lonzo - Rondo
KCP - Hart
LeBron - Beasley
McGee - Zubac

I could easily see Zubac not making the rotation.

Beasley could drop out because of his crappy defense.

Stephenson could drop out because of redundancy.

Hart could slide back from his rookie year and lose playing time.

so basically Kuzma and Rondo play 5 bench positions....
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Eh. We have a "deep bench" because (1) we whiffed on Paul George, so we had a huge amount of cap space left, and (2) other than Lebron. our starting rotation is pedestrian and essentially indistinguishable from bench quality players, so (3) we used the cap space to sign veterans with reputations (good or bad) to fill the gaps, and therefore (4) our bench looks good compared to our starters. The other way of looking at it is that our bench consists of a couple rookies who might have upside and a handful of veterans who have bounced around from team to team, either because they aren't good or because they bring baggage. This could all look different if Ingram and/or Ball blossom this year, but as of right now, they are average to below average starters at their positions.

This doesn't mean it won't work out. But this isn't a bench that was constructed as part of some genius master plan. This is a bench that was constructed when the genius master plan failed and we had to kick the can down the street for a year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
This doesn't mean it won't work out. But this isn't a bench that was constructed as part of some genius master plan. This is a bench that was constructed when the genius master plan failed and we had to kick the can down the street for a year.

Never said otherwise. Just noting we are 2 deep which is good considering how derailed our team was without Lonzo/BI. That will be less of an issue if it occurs again.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Never said otherwise. Just noting we are 2 deep which is good considering how derailed our team was without Lonzo/BI. That will be less of an issue if it occurs again.

I’m not sure that we’re two deep at center, but that’s another story. I generally agree with you that the drop off will not be as great at the other positions, aside from Lebron.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I’m not sure that we’re two deep at center, but that’s another story. I generally agree with you that the drop off will not be as great at the other positions, aside from Lebron.

Yeah. Center is a cluster F. But I think we will see a lot of center-less lineups with the hope that forces the other teams to go small too. We'll see if that gamble works out.

For better or worse, I think we will see Beez as a small ball center a lot. So the other team will have to decide whether to leave a bruiser on him and be susceptible to being killed on offense by Beez or to try to punish him defensively.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

Lonzo - Rondo
KCP - Hart
LeBron - Beasley
McGee - Zubac

Hopefully Stephenson
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
markjay wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

Lonzo - Rondo
KCP - Hart
LeBron - Beasley
McGee - Zubac

Hopefully Stephenson

Zubac I just dont see him taking a step back last year, then coming back and being this "solid" back up 5 this year.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Chemistry matters and one bad apple can ruin chemistry for everyone. I think everyone will get their time and rotations will shorten when playoffs come around. Until then I think we stick to a 10 man rotation.

I could see us going with a 9 or 10 man rotation. Really depends on how everyone fits together. But really if someone like Stephenson or Beasley finds themselves on the bench, it's not like that will be the first time in their careers that happened. These guys are pros -- they'd deal with it professionally. NBA journeymen who whine about playing time don't stay in the league that long.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

Someone is not going to be happy with their minutes.

I expect Svi to see a lot of GLeague time where he will be too qualified to play.

Zubac may or may not get minutes. My darkhorse for backup center is Beez.

Lance may be discontent by 12/15 with his playing time.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I hope Luke doesn't mess this up. Yes, we have a great bench, one of the best ever assembled, but in order for the bench to produce, they need playing time. This bench is much better than our JC/Lou/Nance bench from 3 seasons ago and that bench dominated other benches.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I expect Svi to see a lot of GLeague time where he will be too qualified to play.

It’s still a significant step up from the competition he has played up until this point so I would still see that as a positive. It’s not like the guy would be playing in the league LaVar set up which has zero defense.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It’s still a significant step up from the competition he has played up until this point so I would still see that as a positive. It’s not like the guy would be playing in the league LaVar set up which has zero defense.

Svi is the perfect insurance policy to Hart/KCP
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

Gonna be fun to watch this coming season.

And yes, I think we have a top 3 bench in the NBA.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

It's a good bench, but I'll need to see them preform before even agreeing that they are a 10-Ten bench!

As usual, Laker fans view the Laker bench with their hearts and hopes as opposed to reality.. and only seeing them actually perform will allow us to accurately judge the quality of the bench...

cheers..
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

At times it almost feels like people are angry that we got a lot better. They are constantly looking for things to be negative about. Maybe they are just the type of people that wake up mad.

lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Quantity over quality. Rondo and Beasley would be positives. Better than most though not up to the GS standard. And unless you are playing for third place, that is the standard.

Are you talking this year's GS bench?

... as of now GS does not have a better bench.. they'd trade their bench in a heartbeat for ours

The real question is "Is there a bench in the league that you would trade our bench for?"

Im looking around the league at depth charts and i dont see one bench in the league I would trade our bench for... mainly because we have two potential starters (Kuz and Hart) on that bench that i cant imagine us trading for any other bench players.
lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Eh. We have a "deep bench" because (1) we whiffed on Paul George, so we had a huge amount of cap space left, and (2) other than Lebron. our starting rotation is pedestrian and essentially indistinguishable from bench quality players, so (3) we used the cap space to sign veterans with reputations (good or bad) to fill the gaps, and therefore (4) our bench looks good compared to our starters. The other way of looking at it is that our bench consists of a couple rookies who might have upside and a handful of veterans who have bounced around from team to team, either because they aren't good or because they bring baggage. This could all look different if Ingram and/or Ball blossom this year, but as of right now, they are average to below average starters at their positions.

How many starting 5's in this league would you trade our starting 5 for?

When you talk about our "pedestrian" starters and the below average starters on our team, who are you referring to? Because the only one I can possibly see as below average is maybe Mcgee... But the rest of them are absolutely average or above average.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

lakersibleed wrote:
The real question is "Is there a bench in the league that you would trade our bench for?"

Im looking around the league at depth charts and i dont see one bench in the league I would trade our bench for... mainly because we have two potential starters (Kuz and Hart) on that bench that i cant imagine us trading for any other bench players.

I'd need to see a list of all the benches, as I haven't been tracking all of the summer moves. Off the top of my head, the Celtics have a pretty stout bench. Depending on who starts for the Celtics, their bench includes either Tatum or Hayward, plus Smart, Morris, and Baynes.
lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:

I'd need to see a list of all the benches, as I haven't been tracking all of the summer moves. Off the top of my head, the Celtics have a pretty stout bench. Depending on who starts for the Celtics, their bench includes either Tatum or Hayward, plus Smart, Morris, and Baynes.

They project tatum and hayward to start... why would you pick those two any way... why wouldnt you push jaylen brown to the bench??? but the projections even have him starting as well... so you probably will see morris on the bench...

But no matter what they dont have a guy like Kuz on that bench that i would trade for?

So to clarify my question, what i am asking is "what bench would you TRADE our bench for? Meaning swap the entire bench for our entire bench.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: