Do the Lakers Have a Top 3 Bench?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
Don't overlook the Raptors bench.

Yeah. Not saying we are the best bench, but certainly in the discussion for top 3 IMO.

I like these other benches:

Raps (OG, Siakum, VanFleet)
Boston (Rozier, likely Brown)
Warriors (Iggy, Livingston, Bell)
Clips (Lou, Mbah, SGA)

Pacers also have a really good bench. Joseph, Evans, McDermott, Sabonis, and O’Quinn.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

The more I've thought about it, I want in early on the Josh Hart 6th man of the year campaign. Dude shot 39.7% on 3.1 3FGA last year as a rookie and appears to have gotten better (post ASB, he jumped to 5.5 3FGA and still banked them at a 39.3% clip).

This team has LeBron and a lot of other great passers while they need shooting. Hart could be the recipient of a lot of great looks this year. And if teams are steady running him off the line, not a lot of bench guys in the league better at getting a quality look at the rim. His defense is good enough that you can play him solid minutes too.
ItsJustMagic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

brock wrote:
watchME wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Kuz makes it a top flight bench
That should tell you he is not a bench player. I will be very dissapointed in management if they bench him in favor of ball & kcp who are both below average starters.

Ball is anything but a below average starter...

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
The more I've thought about it, I want in early on the Josh Hart 6th man of the year campaign. Dude shot 39.7% on 3.1 3FGA last year as a rookie and appears to have gotten better (post ASB, he jumped to 5.5 3FGA and still banked them at a 39.3% clip).

This team has LeBron and a lot of other great passers while they need shooting. Hart could be the recipient of a lot of great looks this year. And if teams are steady running him off the line, not a lot of bench guys in the league better at getting a quality look at the rim. His defense is good enough that you can play him solid minutes too.

Yeah. I think this may be an audition year for him to be a 6MOY candidate who may make KCP a nice trade asset (assuming KCP agrees to it) at the deadline.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dao wrote:
It seems like either Stephenson or Beasley will be left out of the rotation.

Rondo
Hart
Lance/Beasley
Kuzma
Zubac

There's not a ton of shooting on this unit, particularly if Lance is the SF. If we wanted a maximally effective offensive unit, you could throw out a shooting lineup...

Rondo
Svi
Hart
Kuzma
Beasley

Does Beasley have any experience playing small ball center? He's 6'10, 235...maybe he can pull it off.

Well, there may be some hockey subs but I think bench guys will also be intermingled with starters.

thats what Im seeing as well. For the 2 forward spots I think it makes too much sense for there to be a 3 man rotation covering a bulk of those minutes between Lebron, BI, and Kuz. Similar to how we did a 3 man rotation at PF-C with Pau, Bynum and Odom.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

ItsJustMagic wrote:
brock wrote:
watchME wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
That should tell you he is not a bench player. I will be very dissapointed in management if they bench him in favor of ball & kcp who are both below average starters.

Definitely not statistically. He grades as plus player in lots of advance stats.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
ItsJustMagic wrote:
brock wrote:
watchME wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

Definitely not statistically. He grades as plus player in lots of advance stats.

Ball is a starter just for his d...Kuz is like the guy who comes out of the pen and throws sliders after a fastball starter

using your assets correctly
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
defense wrote:
ItsJustMagic wrote:
brock wrote:
watchME wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

Ball is a starter just for his d...Kuz is like the guy who comes out of the pen and throws sliders after a fastball starter

And not for pushing the Lakers for #1 pace and getting them more transition opportunities than the Golden State Warriors, or helping get the team from 26th to 7th in assists, let alone becoming a top 5 rebounding team.

Got it.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
defense wrote:
ItsJustMagic wrote:
brock wrote:
watchME wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

And not for pushing the Lakers for #1 pace and getting them more transition opportunities than the Golden State Warriors, or helping get the team from 26th to 7th in assists, let alone becoming a top 5 rebounding team.

Got it.

should have said would be a starter just for his d alone
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

^That clarifies things, but "Anything but a below average starter?"

That's a terrible take.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

The irony is ball and kcp were two of only 3 plus players last season
. ingram was not and kuz was not nor was hart

But i think they will all be better this season
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

The most ironic thing is Lakers fans love the youth and are overly optimistic about them except for the only one who positively affects the game on an almost nightly basis. With that said, I agree all of them will improve.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
defense wrote:

The most ironic thing is Lakers fans love the youth and are overly optimistic about them except for the only one who positively affects the game on an almost nightly basis. With that said, I agree all of them will improve.

True
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

That's a terrible take.

wasn't my take
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That's a terrible take.

wasn't my take

watchMe dropped a bomb and left the scene
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:

The most interesting thing will be how early we go Bron at center. How quickly will Luke sub out McGee for Kuz pushing Bron to center....because Kuz is most likely first off the bench. Later - Hart will sub for KCP and Rondo will come in for Zo.

I see Lance/Beas being Kuz/Hart insurance. They are still young and need to be taught to stay committed to coach's schemes by taking away PT.

Rondo's relationship w/ Luke will also be interesting to see. If the vets disrespect the coach, how much does that effect the young guys?

(is that the right affect/effect?)
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

A bench of:

Rondo
Hart
Lance/Svi
Kuz/Beasly
McGee/Wagner

Will be exciting and won't get pushed around!

But since this isn't Hockey, I suspect we won't see this exact line-up the floor too often, they will get rotated in and out at different intervals depending on:

how the starters are doing
how they match-up with the other teams players
foul trouble with the starters

trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think we will see wholesale hockey subs where we just try to overwhelm teams. The first unit will have an identity centered around LBJ.

2nd unit IMO will be a free flowing, fast and in your face group that may be tough for other teams to match.

I'd still like to see how well BI and Lonzo can carry the load whenever Lebron is sitting. But yes, we definitely have a great bench that sorely fills our need from last year of relying on G-league production when our guys were injured. Maginka know what they're doing.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

It's good, but Boston's, Indiana's, Toronto's, Golden State's, and Utah's are all better.
yammy1688
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

[quote=

He built a team, and bench, that will be physical, agitate, and be able to beat teams with passing.[/quote]

REALLY interested in how this team play on the floor. Could be brilliant, could be a disaster!
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

If Hart is a legitimate 6th Man of the Year candidate, it will mean there will be a serious outcry as to why he's not starting.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Yeah. I think this may be an audition year for him to be a 6MOY candidate who may make KCP a nice trade asset (assuming KCP agrees to it) at the deadline.

Count me in as well. If he stays healthy, I think he'll continue to impress and garner a bit of media attention, especially after being recognized for his summer league play. Doesn't seem like he'll be under the radar as much as last season. I was all onboard for Josh having the starting SG role heading into the summer before KCP was brought back. KCP staying on the roster doesn't change that perspective for me. I have a lot of faith in Josh being a consistent impact player for us. In fact, let's take KCP and Hart's salaries and toss them into an account now and then pay both of them from that based on their performances this season. I wonder how much money Hart would end up with?

Just to temper that a bit, I'm not dissing KCP at all. In fact, I feel like KCP was probably a little under appreciated for our team last year by most fans. For sure he was overpaid, but, it's foolish to harp on that. One-year-rental and helped establish the BronInc relationship for the franchise. Yet, I thought he was one of more consistent team defenders and had relatively solid impact most of the time. So, that sort of sets the bar for where I see Hart's impact that will hopefully just continue to grow. If he doesn't get any better than right now, he may already be a better overall player than KCP heading into his 2nd pro season. For sure that is debatable, but, it says alot about Hart and what he's been able to show already.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject:

If it's important to have a top 2nd unit, then let's bring Lebron off the bench. Then we'll have the #1 bench for sure.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn’t assume BI is starting over Kuzma to be honest. Kuzma imo is the best fit next to Lebron.

Remember Lebron plays the SF position quite often, which would put BI in the post.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Doc JC wrote:
Wouldn’t assume BI is starting over Kuzma to be honest. Kuzma imo is the best fit next to Lebron.

Remember Lebron plays the SF position quite often, which would put BI in the post.
Tell me one offensive skill kcp has that kuzma doesn’t. Tell me who ran PG better last year Ingram or Lonzo. If you want to win games Ingram-Kuzma-Lebron have to start.

and @mike we were #6 in pace before lonzo arrived, lukes goal has been to speed up the game because lonzo can not play half court basketball. Btw in the playoffs things will slow down.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: