Are the Lakers Wasting a Year of LBJ's "Prime?"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are the Lakers Wasting a Year of LBJ's Prime?
Yes. We should have traded for another all-star and/or veteran players. Can't waste LBJ's final prime years.
10%
 10%  [ 17 ]
No. Part of the process is to be patient and assess our young core with LBJ. He signed a 4 year deal for a reason.
89%
 89%  [ 152 ]
Total Votes : 169

Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject:

This is his best team since the end of the Heat. Doesnt mean they win but he's go5 a good chance at it.

If any city wasted LBJ's prime it was Cleveland, around 10 years with the city and only one championship to show for it.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject:

No, they just got him

they've surrounded him with proven veterans and really good up and coming youth

what more could we do? sell the farm for KL when we could probably get him or another star next year? This is setup perfectly for LBJ's first year.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
This is what sucks about not getting Paul George. Having LeBron, George, and Ingram would have made us the second or third best team in the West. Now we basically have to wait a year before seriously contending.

That's PG's issue, Candy. If he's telling you in no uncertain terms that he's a pud content to play in OKC, believe him. That move only shows all the theories about him not wanting to live/work in a small market Hickville were wrong. What's the difference between Indianapolis and Oklahoma City? We already had a pud who couldn't hack LA named Dwight Howard. I don't wanna go thru that again, having some weak-hearted chump figuring out that LA isn't for him after the fact.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:

2. James sees how rich the Lakers situation really is. The young talent of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart and maybe others is currency. The talking heads and media doesn't get this or doesn't want this to affect their agenda.

I have zero doubt of this after he got Nance and Clarkson and said, "We got a bleepin SQUAD now!" Then he found out Clarkson is more of a squid than a squad. That said, the youngsters dictated for themselves who would still be here and who would not (D'Lo, Randle, Nance, Clarkson). I think Brawn will like playing with Kuzma, Hart, Ingram, and Ball more than Nance and Clark's son. Maybe even Zubs if he truly got fit this Summer. As for the FA signings, 1 year contracts. Should be obvious, but Rob/Magic keep making it obvious by citing "flexibility"/"sustainability" over and over. This is a plan that just can't be finished in one Summer. Lotta things to play out this year. Get into the playoffs and maybe stun a team or two and that's an excellent year by realistic standards. We have the benefit of seeing from afar if Kawhi and/or Cousins have shown sustained health. Maybe Kawhi acts disgruntled and forces a trade to LA. If nothing else, dealing with Toronto isn't gonna be like dealing with SA (squeezing blood from a turnip). Maybe they don't get Kawhi and the 4 yutes mentioned above mature another season and perhaps break their playoff cherries. There's nothin wrong with that either. I think Brawn knows something we don't otherwise he wouldn't seem this content with patience even for one season. These dudes today collude and respect players who go wherever they want. They talk to each other. I know some are scared by PG deciding not to come here, but that doesn't mean Kawhi will pull the same. I doubt he re-signs in Canada, can't see it after all he went thru to free himself from SA. There ain't no Westbrook up there to get him to change his mind.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
This is what sucks about not getting Paul George. Having LeBron, George, and Ingram would have made us the second or third best team in the West. Now we basically have to wait a year before seriously contending.

That's PG's issue, Candy. If he's telling you in no uncertain terms that he's a pud content to play in OKC, believe him. That move only shows all the theories about him not wanting to live/work in a small market Hickville were wrong. What's the difference between Indianapolis and Oklahoma City? We already had a pud who couldn't hack LA named Dwight Howard. I don't wanna go thru that again, having some weak-hearted chump figuring out that LA isn't for him after the fact.

Yeah I started having second thoughts about PG a month before free agency. There are much better ways we can spend 30 million dollars instead of banking on a mentally soft guy like PG, as good as he may be.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

What sucks is not making a serious offer for George. Offering Ingram and a future pick might have been attractive to Indy.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

What sucks is not making a serious offer for George. Offering Ingram and a future pick might have been attractive to Indy.

paul george was/is not worth Ingram.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

I guess people get tied to young players and forget about the team. We challenge Houston for the 2 seed with George, we don’t with Ingram.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I guess people get tied to young players and forget about the team. We challenge Houston for the 2 seed with George, we don’t with Ingram.

So the Lakers should have traded Ingram for PG13? Interesting.
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

venturalakersfan wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

LOL. Ingram >>>>> George
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

It depends on what Ingram turns out to be this year. Let's hope that Magic's assessment turns out to be right.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

E=MC² wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

LOL. Ingram >>>>> George

That is embarrassing even for a homer. But again, people put favorite players above winning.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Ingram’s stock is climbing. While George’s stock has topped out or plateaued. He may have already seen his best days after his injury.

I think chances are good Ingram goes off this year.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

We will challenge Houston with our current team. George is overrated in terms of impact. Look at the Pacers.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

yeah challenging #2 is not enough. you make that move if you have championships on lock.

Ingram will be maybe 23/24 when warriors are done in next 3/4years

George's best case scenario is #2 option. meh
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Lol. Indy was not trading him to the Lakers. Want to know how personal this was for them? They filed a tampering charge AFTER they traded him to OKC.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

yeah challenging #2 is not enough. you make that move if you have championships on lock.

And Lebron could very well be done by then. If we don’t want to maximize having him now then that is a choice the FO has to make. And there is a good chance Indy prefers Olidipo and Sabonis over Ingram. But making the offer might have changed what happened in free agency.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

And Lebron could very well be done by then. If we don’t want to maximize having him now then that is a choice the FO has to make. And there is a good chance Indy prefers Olidipo and Sabonis over Ingram. But making the offer might have changed what happened in free agency.

No. Because if a player is so weak minded to eschew a team that he openly told teammates he was interested in joining bc they didn’t empty out their young talent cupboard then nothing would have changed his decision to stay in OKC.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

2. James sees how rich the Lakers situation really is. The young talent of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart and maybe others is currency. The talking heads and media doesn't get this or doesn't want this to affect their agenda.

I have zero doubt of this after he got Nance and Clarkson and said, "We got a bleepin SQUAD now!" Then he found out Clarkson is more of a squid than a squad. That said, the youngsters dictated for themselves who would still be here and who would not (D'Lo, Randle, Nance, Clarkson). I think Brawn will like playing with Kuzma, Hart, Ingram, and Ball more than Nance and Clark's son. Maybe even Zubs if he truly got fit this Summer. As for the FA signings, 1 year contracts. Should be obvious, but Rob/Magic keep making it obvious by citing "flexibility"/"sustainability" over and over. This is a plan that just can't be finished in one Summer. Lotta things to play out this year. Get into the playoffs and maybe stun a team or two and that's an excellent year by realistic standards. We have the benefit of seeing from afar if Kawhi and/or Cousins have shown sustained health. Maybe Kawhi acts disgruntled and forces a trade to LA. If nothing else, dealing with Toronto isn't gonna be like dealing with SA (squeezing blood from a turnip). Maybe they don't get Kawhi and the 4 yutes mentioned above mature another season and perhaps break their playoff cherries. There's nothin wrong with that either. I think Brawn knows something we don't otherwise he wouldn't seem this content with patience even for one season. These dudes today collude and respect players who go wherever they want. They talk to each other. I know some are scared by PG deciding not to come here, but that doesn't mean Kawhi will pull the same. I doubt he re-signs in Canada, can't see it after all he went thru to free himself from SA. There ain't no Westbrook up there to get him to change his mind.

very nice post.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No. Because if a player is so weak minded to eschew a team that he openly told teammates he was interested in joining bc they didn’t empty out their young talent cupboard then nothing would have changed his decision to stay in OKC.

Who lost Vietnam? That's what these discussions remind me of. For some of you, that may be before your time.

The other thread running through these discussions is "We didn't really want him anyway." Yeah, Mary Lou wasn't that good looking anyway. So what if she went to the prom with Billy Bob?

Magic had a chance to pick up Paul George last year. He let it go. Maybe he really valued Ingram that much. Maybe he thought Paul George was a sure thing this summer. Whatever. If Paul George had signed with us, this would have been a five star off-season for Magic. Instead, he whiffed on Paul George and punted to next summer. That's where we are. Ingram might blossom this season and make Magic look like he's been hanging out with Lonzo's sister, Crystal. Or Ingram might plateau, and we'll all be wondering what might have been. For a GM or team president, genius and folly are often flip sides of the same coin.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

I've been thinking about this too. What if LBJ is thinking like this:
he has done the switch teams thing twice before this third one. Both times, it played out somewhat funky, he was kind of the villain. But ultimately his reputation and stock went up, right? He got a few championships and made a ton of Finals. SO I think after the 2nd cavs run, he is realizing that his championship count is not going to end up being as impressive as MJ, and not even Kobe or Magic, Bird, etc. But despite his ring count and finals record, he has achieved the mt rushmore in most people's eyes. whether he's #1 or #5, a lot of *idio* ahem, fans, will place him in the top5 if his career ended right now.

But there's nothing he can do about that weird finals record that doesn't seem to fit with the best player ever argument. And I think that has settled in, and really, he knows there is nothing he can do about that. So what I'm worried about is that he joined the Lakers this third time, but now he does exp[ect 3-4-5-6-7-8 rings lol. Now, he is realistic and maybe would feel fortunate to get one, like in Cle. And I'm concerned by the end of these 4 years, his Finals record is going to be like 4-12...and that's if we're lucky.

Furthermore, he's already accomplished other lifetime achievements. Nike already rewarded him with the lifetime, basically billion dollar contract after the Cle championship. So that carrot is gone too. What carrots are left? Well, there are some small ones. He doesn't want to repeat something like the D12 experiment. He really should try to avoid any more Finals losses to that record. I guess he's going to try to prove he can play center well. If he can win something like 3 rings while here, that would certainly cement his "greatest player ever" argument much more.
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Considering George stayed in OKC, the options as far a 2nd star joining were quite slim, especially considering San Antonio's asking price for Leonard and his injuries. I have faith that the players around Lebron are talented enough to propell this team to much success this season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

From his own mouth the issue he had was that we didn’t try to trade for him. Making a failed serious attempt might have given him the love he wanted and he might have come here. It wasn’t not trading for him, it was not trying.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Yeah, in hindsight you can't disagree. At the time the narrative was he was coming no matter what.

In Kawhi's case, I'm not ruling out a deadline deal for Kawhi, if he insists he is still leaving Toronto.

Maybe KCP waives the no trade, and Toronto gives him the wink wink on a long term deal?
KCP, Lance, Beasley and a first round pick should be more then enough to get this deal done.

I'm not surprised next year if KD signs with us, in case we don't trade for Kawhi. No matter what he does in GS to be honest. Win or lose I could see him signing with the Lakers.

I still think this team surprises people this year as constructed with maybe some minor tweaks. I honestly can't believe people are doubting James capabilities. He will be 34 though, so we will see.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
SO I think after the 2nd cavs run, he is realizing that his championship count is not going to end up being as impressive as MJ, and not even Kobe or Magic, Bird, etc.

I doubt that Lebron even thinks about those sorts of things, at least in that way. I think he explored all of the options that would have put him on an immediate contender, didn't like what he saw, and came to LA because his family wanted it and because he has long term business reasons. If Magic manages to build a title team around him, that's a bonus. Otherwise, he and his crew go to work on their movie/TV projects or whatever else he has planned. Then he buys the Cavs from Dan Gilbert.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12
Jump to: