Kobe mentoring Jayson Tatum (UPDATE: mentoring Kyle Kuzma too! p.22)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KungPau wrote:
Honestly, losing organizations are losing organizations because they draft poorly and then fail to develop anyone. There's nothing inherently wrong with drafting for need or BPA.

Well, it depends on the talent disparity on the BPA and other player. If you think the BPA is Durant, you don’t go and draft someone else because you already have a player at SF.

If Tatum ends up to be a multi-time all-star, and Lonzo ends up borderline all-star, then it doesn’t validate not doing BPA
You always do BPA.

Ingram
Tatum
Lebron
Kuzma
mcgee

sick.

Again, I agree but there are exceptions IMO. If you have say Joel Embiid, and the talent disparity between the BPA and next guy up is very small, it can make sense to go with next guy up.

Otherwise, 95% of the time, you go BPA
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Tatum isn't hype he's the real deal. Him and Mitchell are going to be top 10 players very soon. The way they move on the court makes me believe they will be all time greats. And they were doing in the playoffs on good teams not regular season putting up stats on a bad team.

This entire post is hype.
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KungPau wrote:
Honestly, losing organizations are losing organizations because they draft poorly and then fail to develop anyone. There's nothing inherently wrong with drafting for need or BPA.

Well, it depends on the talent disparity on the BPA and other player. If you think the BPA is Durant, you don’t go and draft someone else because you already have a player at SF.

If Tatum ends up to be a multi-time all-star, and Lonzo ends up borderline all-star, then it doesn’t validate not doing BPA
You always do BPA.

Ingram
Tatum
Lebron
Kuzma
mcgee

sick.

Yeah, the thought of that lineup makes me ill.
NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The hype train on Tatum is strong.
Maybe I need to rewatch his playoff games cuz I neither see Kobe or GHill.
I see a solid wing player as a rookie.
And I'm interested to see how he progresses.

He is definitely not the athlete that Kobe and Hill were!!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

So, what if Tatum is a Laker, not Lonzo, but doesn't help the Lakers to 35 wins, even when healthy?

Do you really think you land LeBron?

I sure as hell don't.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KungPau wrote:

You always do BPA.

Ingram
Tatum
Lebron
Kuzma
mcgee

sick.

That line up doesn't excite me as much as the one with Lonzo. Lonzo can/might become an above average shooter, but Tatum won't get close to Lonzo's court vision no matter what. Once Lebron retires/leaves, you don't even have a top 10 playmaker in the team.

Gary Payton at 3:03 " Lonzo has a great court vision. He got a court vision I've never seen since Magic Johnson"

Gary said he likes three things about Lonzo. He has great court vision, he has a great knack of rebounding the basketball like Kidd and it's not stat padding ones, and he can defend a player 1v1.

What makes his court vision even more great is that he doesn't need to ballhog. Low usage rate.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:

Gary Payton at 3:03 " Lonzo has a great court vision. He got a court vision I've never seen since Magic Johnson"

Gary said he likes three things about Lonzo. He has great court vision, he has a great knack of rebounding the basketball like Kidd and it's not stat padding ones, and he can defend a player 1v1.

What makes his court vision even more great is that he doesn't need to ballhog. Low usage rate.

Yup, great stuff from The Glove.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KungPau wrote:

Nobody is saying you take a Mike Conley over KD, but if you feel the players will have similar impact, and you already have a glut at one spot, there is nothing wrong with drafting for best fit. In other words, if two guys are equal in terms of value, why not take the one who fits your future goals and needs better?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KungPau wrote:

Nobody is saying you take a Mike Conley over KD, but if you feel the players will have similar impact, and you already have a glut at one spot, there is nothing wrong with drafting for best fit. In other words, if two guys are equal in terms of value, why not take the one who fits your future goals and needs better?

This is the Portland paradox.

You already have Clyde Drexler.

Michael Jordan is on the draft board. You DO NOT know that he's a potential GOAT, simply because you've only seen 20ppg (max) out of UNC and his workouts.

You know you already have a future HOFer in Clyde Drexler. You, *think* Sam Bowie provides similar impact, just in different ways, because he rebounds, blocks shots, and there was a glut of talent at 5 during the 80s.

We all know who Portland picked.

Now it relates to the Lakers.

You actually have Eddie Jones, and up and coming All-Star, and good guy. Dude even defends MJ pretty darn well considering. Defensive player, improving 3-ball, dunks on Shawn Bradley, etc.

Then there's a 17 year old kid dominating workouts at the same position.

We know who Jerry West picked.

My point? Better be DARN sure that the projected impact of BPA is the same, because those mistakes are costly.

Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KungPau wrote:

You always do BPA.

Ingram
Tatum
Lebron
Kuzma
mcgee

sick.

Ingram isn’t a PG.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
So, what if Tatum is a Laker, not Lonzo, but doesn't help the Lakers to 35 wins, even when healthy?

I sure as hell don't.

LeBron, Ingram & Tatum would be pretty damn
interesting;’IMO.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
watchME wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KungPau wrote:

You always do BPA.

Ingram
Tatum
Lebron
Kuzma
mcgee

sick.

Ingram isn’t a PG.

Ingram is pretty good at the point but LeBron usually likes to manage the rock.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
trablos wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KungPau wrote:

This is the Portland paradox.

You already have Clyde Drexler.

Michael Jordan is on the draft board. You DO NOT know that he's a potential GOAT, simply because you've only seen 20ppg (max) out of UNC and his workouts.

You know you already have a future HOFer in Clyde Drexler. You, *think* Sam Bowie provides similar impact, just in different ways, because he rebounds, blocks shots, and there was a glut of talent at 5 during the 80s.

We all know who Portland picked.

Now it relates to the Lakers.

You actually have Eddie Jones, and up and coming All-Star, and good guy. Dude even defends MJ pretty darn well considering. Defensive player, improving 3-ball, dunks on Shawn Bradley, etc.

Then there's a 17 year old kid dominating workouts at the same position.

We know who Jerry West picked.

My point? Better be DARN sure that the projected impact of BPA is the same, because those mistakes are costly.

Not a fan of the Kobe draft in a BPA discussion because he was coming off the bench in limited minutes no matter what anyway. If you’re drafting a prospect, you 100% go BPA.

I think BPA is always the way to go, with occasional exceptions depending on who you have already and the talent disparity between other remaining players
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I sure as hell don't.

I really believe LeBron appreciates Lonzo's game and thinks he can be a special player. Showing up to watch him in summer league, taking time to pull him aside and talk to him after they played in the regular season, and even at the press conference after they lost in the Finals when he talked about wanting to be around players who see and think the game on a different level, I think Lonzo was at least the type of player he meant. Some said LeBron wouldn't want Lonzo around because of LeVar, but there hasn't been a peep about trading him. LeBron knows basketball, and sees what some people here cannot.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Magic thought Lonzo was BPA. I'd say he thought Lonzo was more than just BPA in that draft and hence the comment about his record not being safe during the introductory press conference.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
LeBron knows basketball, and sees what some people here cannot.

I would say he has learned that just having 1 dimensional players (with that skill only being spot up shooter) will not win him anything.

He sees that him being the only playmaker on a team is a losing battle.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I sure as hell don't.

Kind of an odd hypothetical. And Lonzo didn’t help the Lakers to 35 wins. More like 25 wins, no?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I sure as hell don't.

If Tatum was the Lakers choice on draft night and not Lonzo, then they probably instead do the deal to trade Ingram to the Pacers for Paul George and that's where Mozgov winds up and they probably don't move Russell. So essentially they lose Ingram and Mozgov, they gain Paul George and the 18th pick and they don't get Brook Lopez. The Lakers likely then draft Kuzma at 18 and Josh Hart at 28, they don't get Thomas Bryant.

Do the Lakers then win 35 games then and do they sign LeBron in the off-season and keep George?

I'm just asking cause I want to know your opinion on that.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I sure as hell don't.

If Tatum was the Lakers choice on draft night and not Lonzo, then they probably instead do the deal to trade Ingram to the Pacers for Paul George and that's where Mozgov winds up and they probably don't move Russell. So essentially they lose Ingram and Mozgov, they gain Paul George and the 18th pick and they don't get Brook Lopez. The Lakers likely then draft Kuzma at 18 and Josh Hart at 28, they don't get Thomas Bryant.

Do the Lakers then win 35 games then and do they sign LeBron in the off-season and keep George?

The Lakers were confident that PG would be available in free agency and Magic/Pelinka seemingly had issues with Russell, so I don't think this is true.

Also, I doubt the Pacers would both take on Mozgov AND give us a first round pick.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I sure as hell don't.

Kind of an odd hypothetical. And Lonzo didn’t help the Lakers to 35 wins. More like 25 wins, no?

If 25, imagine if he actually played the rest of the season.

That's kind of my point. It's really odd to say that Lonzo has a higher upside than Tatum because he's a playmaker, but it's not the individual numbers that show he has upside, it's the team's overall numbers that reflect it.

Basically, if LAL drafts Tatum (the guy I had at #3 anyway), I don't think they're a Top 15 defense, I don't think they're Top 3 in overall pace, I don't think they're among the league leaders in rebounding, and I definitely don't think they're among the league leaders in transition opportunities/points.

I do think that Lonzo contributes to each of those categories AND that it helped entice LeBron to become a Laker.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I sure as hell don't.

Short answer, a lot of finishers, nor team-culture changes, no guarantee that LeBron comes over.

Russell had his chance to make an effect on the team. We hoped for better transition play, 3pt shooting, PnR play. It was "alright" but didn't have the overall team effect that Lonzo had on the team last year.

watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I sure as hell don't.

That's kind of my point. It's really odd to say that Lonzo has a higher upside than Tatum because he's a playmaker, but it's not the individual numbers that show he has upside, it's the team's overall numbers that reflect it.

Basically, if LAL drafts Tatum (the guy I had at #3 anyway), I don't think they're a Top 15 defense, I don't think they're Top 3 in overall pace, I don't think they're among the league leaders in rebounding, and I definitely don't think they're among the league leaders in transition opportunities/points.

I do think that Lonzo contributes to each of those categories AND that it helped entice LeBron to become a Laker.
You don’t think we would be #3 in pace? We were #6 the previous year without Lonzo
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I sure as hell don't.

You don’t think we would be #3 in pace? We were #6 the previous year without Lonzo

Not at all. DAR is a different kind of PG that pushes pace. He likes to run up and dribble after a board.

Lonzo legitimately bypasses all of that ball-handling and makes 3 second possessions, and he does that without all of the ball-handlers + passers GSW has.

Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I sure as hell don't.

Didn't the Lakers lead the league in pace before Lonzo got hurt?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject:

^Yep. GSW has been consistent with their pace all season but the Pels really stepped up without DMC.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 18 of 26
Jump to: