OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4501, 4502, 4503 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
If we don't win the title this year, I do not see the use in bringing back all of Javale/Dwight/Cousins. If you're gonna vindicate keeping Cousins on the roster all year, fine. But pick one of Javale/Dwight (and it should be Dwight).

Dwight's a flake at heart.

Still more effective than Javale. And I believe in 2020 we'll be ready to unveil Stretch 5 Dwight.

No, he's not better by any metric I've seen and "flake" means he reverts to his (bleep) the moment you trust him.

Javale also gets to play with AD and three solid wing defenders. Dwight usually has to cover for Rondo AND Kuzma.

Most advanced lineup based metrics like PIPM account for that and JaVale still comes out ahead. And I don't care to pit them against one another - they're both solid Cs and they combine in their minutes to provide top tier impact and production even without shooting. Why would you jettison McGee when he's been good and is under contract next year? For a broken down Cousins?

I would make Cousins the odd man out as well, but they kept him on the team for an entire season despite big roster holes elsewhere, and they'll want to vindicate that. I'd be fine with Javale over Dwight as well if the DPIPM bears it out. But this team has to not bring back SOMEONE and replace him with a freakin' wing defender over 6'5.

Dudley, Daniels, Rondo, and Cook (and Cousins and Bradley tbh) should all be gone before McGee. There's a ton of roster flexibility next summer, losing McGee gives them no financial benefit, and he seems like a good teammate. I have no idea why he's so hated around here.

I do not hate McGee. I just said we can't bring back all three, especially when each one will cost ~4 million and we're already maxing out the guy who *should* be playing that position in crunch time.

Why not? The team's already over the cap and under the tax. Even if McGee gets buried behind a rejuvenated Cousins (lol) and Howard, so what? He's still better as a third center than 90% of the players they could sign on vet minumum deals and his contract has nothing to do with the front office spending the BAE or MLE.

Yeah I also like our C rotation. Effective and cheap.
It's likely McGee opts in, and we can give both Dwight and Cousins raises using early Bird. Would be smart to keep all 3, given the politics with AD/Cousins and his disdain for playing the 5.
We will be over the cap once AD is resigned anyway (if he indeed does resign).
I think we can offer Dwight 120% of his vet min, or about 3 mil. We could also use the BAE on him if necessary.
Be nice to keep all 3 and save the MLE and BAE for other players.
Dragic or Teague interest anyone? And are they even MLE candidates?
Then trade Green, Kuz and the first to Orlando for Gordon, and send him to PHX and we get Oubre? Or Fournier in a S&T maybe?

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
I don't hate McGee BVH, but I'd drop him for Boogie and a young C with potential.

Boog hasn't proven yet he can sustain big minutes, so Dwight and a young C/PF would be enough to balance those minutes out. But Boog gives us yet another dimension at that position over McGee. Dwight kind of already gives us that skillset and is a better man defender than McGee.

Part of it is that I want to see Boog get back and do well, so there is a bias involved. The other part tho is I want AD to be comfortable and have a long career with us and if he wants to stay at the 4 and we've seen the AD-Boog tandem work in Nawlins, then lets roll with that instead of McGee, especially when you consider just how many good minutes he can provide us. Just look at the minutes he was use to playing with the dubs before he got here.

Lastly looking at 3 man lineups, Bron-AD-McGee has a better net rating, but Bron-AD-Dwight has a better overall defensive rating.

https://stats.nba.com/lineups/advanced/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612747&sort=MIN&dir=1&GroupQuantity=3&CF=GROUP_NAME*E*james

Again BVH, I don't hate McGee...I just think its better to address other needs on the roster. Just like our guards have many similar skillsets, so too do our bigs in Dwight and McGee.

Between dumping Cook, Daniels, Dudley, and (hopefully) Rondo, how many more roster spots are needed to address the team's needs before we get to McGee? I mean, you're still swapping McGee for a hypothetical unnamed "young C" for...what reason? It's not like you're advocating his roster spot go toward addressing other team needs but only to add someone younger who likely will not be as good in the short-term as McGee and won't have the upside at that price point to be realistically viable long-term.

And, no, it's a terrible draft for big men and, no, Cacok doesn't have that much upside, and, yes, McGee will be gone in 2021.

First McGee is a nice expiring to trade either via into an exception for draft capital or aggregated for a bigger fish.

Secondly, look at our roster. I like our McGee/Dwight rotation, but I would gladly trade it for more diversity particularly when it comes to playoff matchups. As we've all seen with our guard rotation, alot of their skillsets over lap and they ain't getting run during the regular season and can't really provide us a different look when it comes to matchups in the postseason.

That's the same scope I view Dwight/McGee with. Dwight at a higher number this summer will cause me to pause, but if he's at the same number as McGee, I'm going with Dwight, using McGee as trade fodder (hopefully he does opt in) and addressing other team needs with that asset in hand. The availability and potentially low number on Boog just makes it even more easier for us to get off of McGee.

You brought up Giles for example. I'd take a rotation of Boog/Dwight/Giles next year and trade McGee or aggregate his 4.2m towards something that helps us become more versatile.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject:

JaVale McGee: goes out and has one of the best seasons of his career as a starter on the 2nd best team in the NBA while posting the 4th-5th best PIPM on the roster.

LG.com: "lol dump this bum for Chieck Diallo and the zombie corpse of Boogie Cousins so Jeanie can save a million towards her next Maybach."
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject:

JaVale McGee: goes out and has one of the best seasons of his career as a starter on the 2nd best team in the NBA while posting the 4th-5th best PIPM on the roster.

LG.com: "lol dump this bum for Chieck Diallo and the zombie corpse of Boogie Cousins so Jeanie can save a million towards her next Maybach."

Who's Maybach?
Does he play Center?
Hehe!

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Well it depends...am I riding shot gun?

Seriously, I don't think anyone is saying we should dump dude just for (bleep) and giggles and maybachs. I balk at the very thought of it haha.

McGee plays low minutes for a reason. Dude's an asthmatic with a great motor (ie high burst low minutes).

I'd gladly take him on the playoff roster....as is.

But if we bring in someone off the buyout market that gives our team a dynamic we don't have and Dwight can already cover the skillset McGee gves us, then dude might see the bubble along with any of Trey, Cook and Dudz.

Low mpg dudes is where I personally would look to make cuts. It becomes much easier if Boog doesn't get the green light from our docs.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject:

So what's up with Iggy and the Heat? Are they regretting the move now? They've lost 5 of their last 6. And lost 3 of last 4 with Iggy. Coming down to earth?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
So what's up with Iggy and the Heat? Are they regretting the move now? They've lost 5 of their last 6. And lost 3 of last 4 with Iggy. Coming down to earth?

He may have some rust but iggy was not a guy taking them over the top, riles over-reacted and overpaid imo. So far they playing him between 16-23 minutes a game when imo it should be situational at this point in his career.

His best fit would have been here. Hed likely be in 4th quarter end game lineups and in spurts in first half.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Harry Giles III instead of Boogie Cousins next season...?

For a portion of the MLE? Sacramento can offer him slightly more than the BAE.

I was thinking BAE and that he'd want to leave Sacramento before finishing packing his bags. How much of a raise can they give Howard with his non-Bird Rights?

NON-BIRD EXCEPTION

Quote:

NON-BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is also a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception. Its name is somewhat of a misnomer, since Non-Bird really is a form of Bird rights. Players who qualify for this exception are called "Non-Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA. They are veteran free agents who are neither Qualifying Veteran Free Agents nor Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agents, and include the following:

Players who finished the season with a given team, who have played no more than one season without clearing waivers or changing teams as a free agent.
Players who were Early Bird free agents, but whose team renounced its right to use the Early Bird exception to re-sign the player.
Players who were to be Larry Bird or Early Bird free agents, were playing on one-year contracts, and were traded mid-season.
This exception allows a team to re-sign its own free agent to a salary starting at up to 120% of his salary in the previous season (not over the maximum salary, of course), 120% of the minimum salary, or the amount needed to tender a qualifying offer (if the player is a restricted free agent -- see question number 42), whichever is greater. Raises are limited to 5% of the salary in the first year of the contract, and contracts are limited to four seasons when this exception is used.

DeMarcus Cousins -- $3,500,000 Β  Β Β 

$3,500,000 * 120% = $4,200,000
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Well it depends...am I riding shot gun?

Seriously, I don't think anyone is saying we should dump dude just for (bleep) and giggles and maybachs. I balk at the very thought of it haha.

McGee plays low minutes for a reason. Dude's an asthmatic with a great motor (ie high burst low minutes).

I'd gladly take him on the playoff roster....as is.

But if we bring in someone off the buyout market that gives our team a dynamic we don't have and Dwight can already cover the skillset McGee gves us, then dude might see the bubble along with any of Trey, Cook and Dudz.

Low mpg dudes is where I personally would look to make cuts. It becomes much easier if Boog doesn't get the green light from our docs.

Thank goodness youre not our gm. He AD and dwight have been as good or better than any set of bigs weve faced. Even if we have a healthy boogie id keep javale.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
I don't hate McGee BVH, but I'd drop him for Boogie and a young C with potential.

Boog hasn't proven yet he can sustain big minutes, so Dwight and a young C/PF would be enough to balance those minutes out. But Boog gives us yet another dimension at that position over McGee. Dwight kind of already gives us that skillset and is a better man defender than McGee.

Part of it is that I want to see Boog get back and do well, so there is a bias involved. The other part tho is I want AD to be comfortable and have a long career with us and if he wants to stay at the 4 and we've seen the AD-Boog tandem work in Nawlins, then lets roll with that instead of McGee, especially when you consider just how many good minutes he can provide us. Just look at the minutes he was use to playing with the dubs before he got here.

Lastly looking at 3 man lineups, Bron-AD-McGee has a better net rating, but Bron-AD-Dwight has a better overall defensive rating.

https://stats.nba.com/lineups/advanced/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612747&sort=MIN&dir=1&GroupQuantity=3&CF=GROUP_NAME*E*james

Again BVH, I don't hate McGee...I just think its better to address other needs on the roster. Just like our guards have many similar skillsets, so too do our bigs in Dwight and McGee.

Between dumping Cook, Daniels, Dudley, and (hopefully) Rondo, how many more roster spots are needed to address the team's needs before we get to McGee? I mean, you're still swapping McGee for a hypothetical unnamed "young C" for...what reason? It's not like you're advocating his roster spot go toward addressing other team needs but only to add someone younger who likely will not be as good in the short-term as McGee and won't have the upside at that price point to be realistically viable long-term.

And, no, it's a terrible draft for big men and, no, Cacok doesn't have that much upside, and, yes, McGee will be gone in 2021.

First McGee is a nice expiring to trade either via into an exception for draft capital or aggregated for a bigger fish.

Secondly, look at our roster. I like our McGee/Dwight rotation, but I would gladly trade it for more diversity particularly when it comes to playoff matchups. As we've all seen with our guard rotation, alot of their skillsets over lap and they ain't getting run during the regular season and can't really provide us a different look when it comes to matchups in the postseason.

That's the same scope I view Dwight/McGee with. Dwight at a higher number this summer will cause me to pause, but if he's at the same number as McGee, I'm going with Dwight, using McGee as trade fodder (hopefully he does opt in) and addressing other team needs with that asset in hand. The availability and potentially low number on Boog just makes it even more easier for us to get off of McGee.

You brought up Giles for example. I'd take a rotation of Boog/Dwight/Giles next year and trade McGee or aggregate his 4.2m towards something that helps us become more versatile.

Giles can be signed outright, so why am I trading McGee?

If I'm keeping a potentially permanently hobbled Cousins for political reasons, why would I downgrade at C next season rather than retain the best insurance I have already under contract in case Boogie likely sucks?

Nothing I'm writing here in defense of McGee is an argument against aggregating his salary to go land Jrue Holiday or someone like that. It's an argument against the idea that he's not good and that he's easily expendable given the Lakers limited resources to improve the roster. McGee is good and good for the Lakers as currently constructed. He's one of the last guys I'd get rid of for Harry Giles or Trey Burke or whomever.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

If I'm keeping a potentially permanently hobbled Cousins for political reasons, why would I downgrade at C next season rather than retain the best insurance I have already under contract in case Boogie likely sucks?

Nothing I'm writing here in defense of McGee is an argument against aggregating his salary to go land Jrue Holiday or someone like that. It's an argument against the idea that he's not good and that he's easily expendable given the Lakers limited resources to improve the roster. McGee is good and good for the Lakers as currently constructed. He's one of the last guys I'd get rid of for Harry Giles or Trey Burke or whomever.

Keep up the good fight Baron!
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Harry Giles III instead of Boogie Cousins next season...?

For a portion of the MLE? Sacramento can offer him slightly more than the BAE.

I was thinking BAE and that he'd want to leave Sacramento before finishing packing his bags. How much of a raise can they give Howard with his non-Bird Rights?

Sac already declined a 4m team option on Giles, so I really doubt he chooses to stay with them. The BAE is projected to have a 4.2m payout, so its equivalent to the bag he would have got had Sac chose to pick up his option. Sac will probably try to tie down Bogs and in doing so will be capped out. Still they will have Giles's bird rights so they can offer more than the BAE, but I just don't anticipate that.

Summer of S&ts tho, so maybe they look to get an asset for him while they throw him a moderate bag. I haven't followed dude, but I doubt he commands anything close to a MLE bag (ie 10m).

FYI, Dwight can get back as much as 3.1m if we use his bird rights. He obviously can get more with a BAE tho.

Quote:

The BAE is projected to have a 4.2m payout, so its equivalent to the bag he would have got had Sac chose to pick up his option

I thought that the BAE is projecting to be under $4 million.

BAE

Quote:

Code:

Season   First-year salary
2017-18   $3.290 million
2018-19   $3.382 million
2019-20   $3.623 million

The Bi-Annual exception amount for the 2017-18 season was negotiated into the agreement. For each subsequent season the exception amount is determined by applying the percentage change in the salary cap to the previous exception amount. For example, if the salary cap increases by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19, then the exception amount also will increase by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19.

How is the salary cap set each year?

Code:

Season   Salary cap
2017-18   $99.093 million
2018-19   $101.869 million
2019-20   $109.140 million

The last projection that I saw for the 2020-21 salary cap is $115 million.

The difference between the current salary cap of $109.140 million and $115 million is $5,860,000. The percentage change should be 5.3693%.

$3,623,000 * 1.053693% = $3,817,530
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

https://twitter.com/pickuphoop/status/1230652567417389057?s=21

Hope this wins them a chip
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Keep up the good fight Baron!

Danke!

vasashi is one of the best posters here and this is one of the more civil and pleasant disagreements I've had here in years.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

https://twitter.com/pickuphoop/status/1230652567417389057?s=21

Hope this wins them a chip

It would be a great story.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Trae Young put up 50 on the Heat tonight in an upset win? You love to see it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject:

As an aside, THT as soon as next season could help resolve some roster issues and do so more cheaply and almost as effectively as, say, Jeff Teague.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Trae Young put up 50 on the Heat tonight in an upset win? You love to see it.

Is it just me or are the Heat piling up Ls at a rapid speed?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Jeff Green looking solid. He only signed a 10 day contract.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Jeff Green looking solid. He only signed a 10 day contract.

Against warriors
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject:

As an aside, THT as soon as next season could help resolve some roster issues and do so more cheaply and almost as effectively as, say, Jeff Teague.

FG40% 3pt 29% in the Dleague

WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Iggy minus 33 against the hawks tonight ouch
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Iggy minus 33 against the hawks tonight ouch

He was looking a bit washed up last season with the warriors a lot during the season. Miami is expecting him to do way too much. If he came here he would have half of the responsibility he is tasked with on the Heat.

Can’t hate on him for securing that bag nonetheless. πŸ’°πŸ’°πŸ’°πŸ’°πŸ’°πŸ’°
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Aren't you all glad we didn't go after Iggy now
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject:

MLE Targets
Goran Dragic
Reggie Jackson
Jeff Teague
Jordan Clarkson (?)

Bi Annual/Vet Min Exception targets
Mo Harkless
Justin Holiday
Solomon Hill
Hollis-Jefferson
Josh Jackson
Andre Roberson
James Ennis
Glen Robinson
MKG
Nwaba

Alec Burks
DJ Augustin
Napier
Burke

WCS
H.Giles
Noel
Vonleh
Skal
C.Wood

Can shop Kuz/1st/THT and Exp k (Bradley/McGee/Cook) and see what you can get but I dont see anyone on the move worth it.

A good summer for me. Playmaker at the MLE (Dragic ideally), Wing defender at Bi Annual (Mo Harkless?), and solid vet min signings. I'm pretty sure Boogie will be back. That would leave Dwight or McGee out. I'd keep Dwight and look to shop McGee. Sign a younger 3rd big (Giles,Vonleh,Skal) or just promote Cacok (he deserves it)

Boogie/Dwight*/Cacok
AD/Kuz/Dudley*
LeBron/Harkless/THT
DG/KCP/1st round pick
Caruso/Dragic/Bradley

Not many roster spots to play with.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4501, 4502, 4503 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 4502 of 8560
Jump to: