OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4534, 4535, 4536 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

PG13 when he was younger, pre-leg injury. Similar slithering style, more akin to #24. Liked the mid-range. Loved to go between the legs to lull players into sleep before stepping into his shot. Good defender. Like others have said, ultimately too large, too slow, not nearly as explosive. Had flashes of #24, but never approximated #8.

Lavine. I get why people say it. But USC pointed out the differences well-enough. And while he's an explosive athlete, on par with our #8, he lacks the body control, grace, and controlled explosion that Kobe had.

Tatum. Seems more visually appropriate. He worked with Kobe, aped a lot of his moves. Very different J, so the comparison tends to breakdown when you watch tape. Not nearly the athlete Kobe was. More on par with #24's athleticism.

A few others. These guys don't have the body type, so it's not quite as easy to See it, but it's there in some ways - the tenacity, footwork, aggression towards the rim, mid-range games, etc. Lillard. Westbrook. DeRozan (close bodytype, good footwork and mid-range game, but not the athlete, passer, etc).

Edit: Oh, and Kawhi. Not all the way, but I get why people say it.

Last edited by Cutheon on Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER KOBE.

exactly. stop with the nonsense.

kobe was an artist not only with his play but the way he played. Kawhi freaking doesnt have any flair to his game
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
PG13 when he was younger, pre-leg injury. Similar slithering style, more akin to #24. Liked the mid-range. Loved to go between the legs to lull players into sleep before stepping into his shot. Good defender. Like others have said, ultimately too large, too slow, not nearly as explosive. Had flashes of #24, but never approximated #8.

Lavine. I get why people say it. But USC pointed out the differences well-enough. And while he's an explosive athlete, on par with our #8, he lacks the body control, grace, and controlled explosion that Kobe had.

Tatum. Seems more visually appropriate. He worked with Kobe, aped a lot of his moves. Very different J, so the comparison tends to breakdown when you watch tape. Not nearly the athlete Kobe was. More on par with #24's athleticism.

A few others. These guys don't have the body type, so it's not quite as easy to See it, but it's there in some ways - the tenacity, footwork, aggression towards the rim, mid-range games, etc. Lillard. Westbrook. DeRozan (close bodytype, good footwork and mid-range game, but not the athlete, passer, etc).

george paul, is that you?
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

kobe was an artist not only with his play but the way he played. Kawhi freaking doesnt have any flair to his game

forreal he doesnt move me at all. just like his personality his game is robotic. effective af yes but it doesnt move me. like mj said kobe knew how to touch you 😭
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I think it's rare to find a player who had the mentality of Kobe coupled with physical ability.

You'll see players who can jump higher than him or shoot better, but have nowhere near that dogged tenacity that Kobe had (and sometimes it was to the team's detriment). I think Kobe's unique makeup of being basically the only African American kid in his circle in Italy, having to then come to the US as almost a "foreigner" and then joining a veteran laden team at age 18 made him a unique person.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think it's rare to find a player who had the mentality of Kobe coupled with physical ability.

You'll see players who can jump higher than him or shoot better, but have nowhere near that dogged tenacity that Kobe had (and sometimes it was to the team's detriment). I think Kobe's unique makeup of being basically the only African American kid in his circle in Italy, having to then come to the US as almost a "foreigner" and then joining a veteran laden team at age 18 made him a unique person.

you ever read draft xpress scouting report on kobe? 😂😂

Quote:
One of the most prolific offensive players ever. Makes shots from everywhere. Gets about a third of his offensive one-on-one, with fast breaks, pick and rolls, spot ups, and post ups accounting for another tenth each. Very efficient scorer. Fantastic shooting stroke. Can make shots frequently without his feet set and falling away. Equally consistent off the dribble. Great catch and shoot player. Tremendous finisher at the rim. Seems to hang in the air for days before putting the ball up. Gets to the free throw line at a great rate, and converts between 80-85% once there. Possibly the best in the league at creating his own shot. Knows how to use fakes to get open looks from the midrange in. Almost impossible to stop one-on-one. Great ball handler, going either left or right. Has no trouble running the point and getting in the lane. Very good passer as well. Creates shot for his teammates with ease, thanks to his terrific feel for the game. Very good in the post as well. Will punish mismatches down there on a regular basis. Dominant in almost every aspect of the game. Takes over when it counts. Can will his team to victory. Ridiculous killer instinct. At times takes too much upon himself and freezes teammates out. Doesn’t always know his limitations. Shot-selection isn’t always the best. Will settle for some extremely difficult attempts, particularly from beyond the arc, which hurts his 3-point percentages. Has been criticized for being overly dominant and a bit selfish at times, but has learned to involve his teammates more consistently as career went on. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kobe-Bryant-1851/ ©DraftExpress

Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

forreal he doesnt move me at all. just like his personality his game is robotic. effective af yes but it doesnt move me. like mj said kobe knew how to touch you 😭
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject:

You have to literally take 4-5 players, cut and mix and match to construct a kobe today.

Kawhi's mid-range.
PG13's defense.
Lillard's ice cold daggers.

And so on. You can't use one player to construct Kobe.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

It's crazy that even with the amazing dunkers we have in the league, no one can do the baseline dunk like Kobe could.

The way he controls and contorts his body to maneuver on the baseline. You can tell he practiced exactly that so many times to pull it off in-game the way he did.

And that's what made Kobe, Kobe. No doubt he watched game tape and saw that as a hole in every defense, that little space on the baseline where the defense thinks you won't go. And he went. And he went often. And because he saw that space in tape, he implemented it in his game. I could just imagine him breaking down that move into segments and then doing each part over and over, obsessively. Drive baseline, make yourself smaller to get past defender. Side step and strafe to avoid going out of bounds. Drive baseline, make yourself smaller to get past defender. Side step and strafe to avoid going out of bounds. Repeat 1000 times.

Then he'd do it 1000 more times but adding the finish on the end.

That's Kobe right there. He worked hard but he was so smart in his approach. I bet he even saw how defenses tightened up in the postseason and took more difficult shots in the regular season to match the ones he'd get there. Man was a genius.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook and Jimmy Butler both have Mamba-like mentalities. 100% effort on the floor. Push themselves and their bodies to be the best they can be and aren't afraid of outworking all their teammates hours before and after practice and in the offseason. Both can contribute on offense, defense, and on the glass. Both can carry teams to the playoffs. Both need to be "reigned in" (for lack of better words) to become successful in the post season.

But neither one is the shooter Kobe is. They remind me most of Kobe. But of course, they fall short.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

It's crazy that even with the amazing dunkers we have in the league, no one can do the baseline dunk like Kobe could.

The way he controls and contorts his body to maneuver on the baseline. You can tell he practiced exactly that so many times to pull it off in-game the way he did.

And that's what made Kobe, Kobe. No doubt he watched game tape and saw that as a hole in every defense, that little space on the baseline where the defense thinks you won't go. And he went. And he went often. And because he saw that space in tape, he implemented it in his game. I could just imagine him breaking down that move into segments and then doing each part over and over, obsessively. Drive baseline, make yourself smaller to get past defender. Side step and strafe to avoid going out of bounds. Drive baseline, make yourself smaller to get past defender. Side step and strafe to avoid going out of bounds. Repeat 1000 times.

That's Kobe right there. He worked hard but he was so smart in his approach. I bet he even saw how defenses tightened up in the postseason and took more difficult shots in the regular season to match the ones he'd get there. Man was a genius.

Top 20 baseline dunks. What other player even has 20 baseline dunks to choose from?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER JORDAN.
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER SHAQ.
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER LEBRON.
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER STEVE JOBS.
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER OBAMA.
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER COBAIN.

And the beat goes on...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Westbrook and Jimmy Butler both have Mamba-like mentalities. 100% effort on the floor. Push themselves and their bodies to be the best they can be and aren't afraid of outworking all their teammates hours before and after practice and in the offseason. Both can contribute on offense, defense, and on the glass. Both can carry teams to the playoffs. Both need to be "reigned in" (for lack of better words) to become successful in the post season.

But neither one is the shooter Kobe is. They remind me most of Kobe. But of course, they fall short.

I think we both really wanted Jimmy as a FA this summer but the Kawhi pursuit was understandable.

I think what is underrated about Kobe was his playmaking. Like if he wanted to, he could average 9-10apg.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Jimmy Butler reminds me of Jamie Foxx, but I see your point. Westbrook's relentless attacking nature always reminded me of Kobe. The way he just goes, goes, and goes at the rim.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Top 20 baseline dunks. What other player even has 20 baseline dunks to choose from?

those baseline reverses are difficult af too. kobe had so many of em. he was king of the baseline!!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I think we both really wanted Jimmy as a FA this summer but the Kawhi pursuit was understandable.

I think what is underrated about Kobe was his playmaking. Like if he wanted to, he could average 9-10apg.

Easily. Look at his stretch pre-achilles in a modern D'Antoni offense. Tons of 40 and 10 games. triple double stretch. Magic Bryant. Put 05-06 Kobe in that 12-13 offense, and today's spacing . . . I bet he could do 38/10 like Harden, for sure.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

those baseline reverses are difficult af too. kobe had so many of em. he was king of the baseline!!

The one against the Kings, the one against the Knicks, and the one against the Wolves are three of the most jaw-dropping displays of raw athletic power and grace I've ever seen. I can watch those over and over and over
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

The one against the Kings, the one against the Knicks, and the one against the Wolves are three of the most jaw-dropping displays of raw athletic power and grace I've ever seen. I can watch those over and over and over

hell yea those were prime examples of MAD KOBE!! pissed off kobe did whatever he wanted. if he wanted to cram one in your face, trust me he was going to do it.

but you know what i think was his most underrated skill? his shot blocking. he could chase dudes down of course but even more impressive was all those failed poster dunk attempts guys tried on him!! kobe would size them up and meet them AT the rim and send it back. this is ur shooting guard btw!!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lavine is an athletic freak who doesn't affect actual wins. He plays no defense either.

It is possible that Lavine will start to figure it out at some point. I felt the same way about TMac at one point, but he started to figure it out around the middle of his career, just before the injuries derailed him.

He has all the athletic tools to be a good defender. Just no effort or care on that end. Is that correctable? Maybe. Maybe not.

If he could just rise to the level of a mediocre defender, it would change the way a lot of us think of him. Beyond that, the metrics say that he has less impact on offense than his raw numbers would suggest. The offensive metrics are good, but not elite. I'm not sure why this is the case. He has a high usage rate, but not anything extraordinary. I'd say it has something to do with playing on a bad team, but it has persisted for a couple years now. I'd say that it was a statistical anomaly, but all of the metrics seem to reach the same outcome.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

hell yea those were prime examples of MAD KOBE!! pissed off kobe did whatever he wanted. if he wanted to cram one in your face, trust me he was going to do it.

but you know what i think was his most underrated skill? his shot blocking. he could chase dudes down of course but even more impressive was all those failed poster dunk attempts guys tried on him!! kobe would size them up and meet them AT the rim and send it back. this is ur shooting guard btw!!

I know the basketball world at large has already decided the chasedown block belongs to LeBron, but I swear that Kobe had that refined to a science far before LeBron entered the scene.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lavine is an athletic freak who doesn't affect actual wins. He plays no defense either.

It is possible that Lavine will start to figure it out at some point. I felt the same way about TMac at one point, but he started to figure it out around the middle of his career, just before the injuries derailed him.

He has all the athletic tools to be a good defender. Just no effort or care on that end. Is that correctable? Maybe. Maybe not.

If he could just rise to the level of a mediocre defender, it would change the way a lot of us think of him. Beyond that, the metrics say that he has less impact on offense than his raw numbers would suggest. The offensive metrics are good, but not elite. I'm not sure why this is the case. He has a high usage rate, but not anything extraordinary. I'd say it has something to do with playing on a bad team, but it has persisted for a couple years now. I'd say that it was a statistical anomaly, but all of the metrics seem to reach the same outcome.

My cousin is a big hoop head and huge Bulls fan. His take is that Lavine is just selfish. All the tools, loves to score, can't run a team to save his life.

Last edited by Cutheon on Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
I think we need to cut out all the LeGM talk for at least his tenure here in LA. I mean anybody in their right mind would trade for AD, so I doubt Bron forced management into that position. I think Bron/Klutch did want Kidd...but only after Lue wasn’t happening.

So no Lue, no Melo, no trade for Cp3 (which endangers the Giannis 2021 plan where klutch klients Bron and/or AD have to sacrifice their max to get it done), no trade for Tristan and now no call for JR.

https://i.imgur.com/8JXfk8b.jpg

HOLY SMOKE!!!

I actually agree with your post - is this April 1?

Ive been saying it...we on the same team bro haha. I agree with a lot of your stuff too, but the only date that should matter is June 1st and I hope we can still be agreeing (or disagreeing) about our Lakers chances with the roster we have this year.

I don’t know where it went wrong, but I thought we had a decent exchange on pick protections way back when. Just looking for productive/respectful discussions with seasoned members here. Hope that can happen without worrying if I’m astroturfing or not haha.

But don’t get it twisted, I can take a joke/jabs/shots and I like how hard you come with it (pause)...but just stick to hoops and not innuendo my dude! I can assure you, I am not a cLipper troll

Btw, this bolding font thing ain’t so bad...I kinda understand why you use it

As for the “next Kobe”...I’m with Yinoma again...there isn’t one and will never be one. But if Kob himself had a say in who from the current crop most reminds him of himself:

https://mobile.twitter.com/KOCOCarson/status/1221556646557691907

https://www.lakersnation.com/kobe-bryant-says-russell-westbrook-reminds-him-most-of-himself/2016/08/26/
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

It's why I don't give Rob an A. Knowing Kawhi was leading us on and getting Jimmy instead is an A grade. A+ would be convincing Kawhi to change his mind and come here (since lets be honest Kawhi's mind was determined on going to the Clippers even though nobody knew).
But since we have the 2nd best record in the league and the best record in the conference with the team he built. I give Rob a B+/A-.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

My cousin is a big hoop head and huge Bulls fan. His take is that Lavine is just selfish. All the tools, loves to score, can't run a team to save his life.

My take is that he needs to be more selfish. The Bulls don't have much of a team. Very little talent. Inept coach. No shooters. No scorers. No playmakers. That organization sucks and LaVine is the only good thing about it.

When I watch them, all I can think is, LaVine needs to have the ball on every possession and any and all offense needs to come from his playmaking. He lets the offense take its course a little too much for my liking. All that passing around on the perimeter and there's nothing but hacks on the floor. Accomplishes nothing. They don't know whether to run him off-ball or let him initiate. I say give him the ball and just get the rebound, until they get some talent.

Every one of their possessions should have him initiating with a drive of some sort. Can get to the basket when he wants. Offense should come from that. They like to pretend they have the talent to run some type of structured offense.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject:

id love to get lavine when hes a free agent. young beast that just needs some star power. him + ad would be crazy..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4534, 4535, 4536 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 4535 of 8560
Jump to: