OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4607, 4608, 4609 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

It will be interesting to see how “ no limits” applies as the mpg pile up each round.

I would not be surprised to see it flare up and he has his limp back by the second series or about 15 games?

That's pretty much what Toronto did with his last year -- 34 mpg in the regular season, 39 in the playoffs.

The playoffs have more buffers built in between games. You can't be sure what will happen until it happens. My guess is the Clippers will start off playing him a reasonable number of minutes unless they get into trouble.

Dallas is pretty locked in to that 7th seed. They're 3 games behind the 6th seed. And 6 games above the 8th seed.
And that's good news. Carlisle is a great coach. Doncic is Doncic. And Porzingis is a tough cover. They could really push the Clippers and make Kawhi play a ton of minutes.

Maybe. But Dallas does not have the wing defenders to “push” the Clips too much IMO. I would expect the Clips depth and both George and Leonard dominating most of the time. I could envision George having a huge series and Leonard being able to focus and cruise at times. Not have to take over games as much.

We will see. Lakers have their own mpg management to worry about. That 8th seed is looking likely will have represented by push the pace offensive minded teams capable of putting up points.

Going to take energy to either defend them or score with them. Either way more energy extended then I would like to see for our Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:

It will be interesting to see how “ no limits” applies as the mpg pile up each round.

I would not be surprised to see it flare up and he has his limp back by the second series or about 15 games?

That's pretty much what Toronto did with his last year -- 34 mpg in the regular season, 39 in the playoffs.

The playoffs have more buffers built in between games. You can't be sure what will happen until it happens. My guess is the Clippers will start off playing him a reasonable number of minutes unless they get into trouble.

Dallas is pretty locked in to that 7th seed. They're 3 games behind the 6th seed. And 6 games above the 8th seed.
And that's good news. Carlisle is a great coach. Doncic is Doncic. And Porzingis is a tough cover. They could really push the Clippers and make Kawhi play a ton of minutes.

Maybe. But Dallas does not have the wing defenders to “push” the Clips too much IMO. I would expect the Clips depth and both George and Leonard dominating most of the time. I could envision George having a huge series and Leonard being able to focus and cruise at times. Not have to take over games as much.

We will see. Lakers have their own mpg management to worry about. That 8th seed is looking likely will have represented by push the pace offensive minded teams capable of putting up points.

Going to take energy to either defend them or score with them. Either way more energy extended then I would like to see for our Lakers.

Run and gun, push the pace teams will be grinded to a halt by this Lakers defense in the playoffs though.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Run and gun, push the pace teams will be grinded to a halt by this Lakers defense in the playoffs though.

4DB is right. Wing defenders are an issue for Dallas. And the Clippers whooped Dallas's butt when I watched them play each other earlier this season. But Rick Carlisle is a much better coach than Doc IMO. And if Porzingis, Curry, Tim Hardaway Jr. hit their 3s they'll make it a tough series.

Whomever the 8th seed is. I don't think they'll be as good as the 7th seed Dallas. And that's good news for us.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

People talking about getting a 3rd option and I think the good realistic target is CJ McCollum I have wanted him on the Lakers since he came to the NBA.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I agree. But defense takes intensity and energy to slow down teams.

They are not the same defensive team without Bradley’s intensity on ball and on the perimeter. It doesn’t get replaced it gets adjusted to with makeshift assignments.

My concern is the Lakers go back to some old bad defensive habits and just try to outscore teams instead extending the energy needed to play Championship level defense. Or that the grind of doing so wears down the team before the WCF and hopefully Finals.

Margin for error is incredibly slim to win it all. Going to be fun to see the playoffs no matter how it plays out. Crazy season!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
People talking about getting a 3rd option and I think the good realistic target is CJ McCollum I have wanted him on the Lakers since he came to the NBA.

He signed a 5-year extension with Portland last year. If Portland trades him, I think they'll get better offers than we can put together.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:

They are not the same defensive team without Bradley’s intensity on ball and on the perimeter. It doesn’t get replaced it gets adjusted to with makeshift assignments.

My concern is the Lakers go back to some old bad defensive habits and just try to outscore teams instead extending the energy needed to play Championship level defense. Or that the grind of doing so wears down the team before the WCF and hopefully Finals.

Margin for error is incredibly slim to win it all. Going to be fun to see the playoffs no matter how it plays out. Crazy season!

can you please explain what old bad defensive habits you are talking about?

they went 17-3 without Bradley.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:

can you please explain what old bad defensive habits you are talking about?

they went 17-3 without Bradley.

Moreover, there were games when Bradley's (lack of) offense just killed us. Some nights, AB was invisible on that end and we were playing 4 on 5.

I'd love to have him, but he wasn't the irreplaceable piece, IMO.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Moreover, there were games when Bradley's (lack of) offense just killed us. Some nights, AB was invisible on that end and we were playing 4 on 5.

I'd love to have him, but he wasn't the irreplaceable piece, IMO.

not some night, most of the night. I love the KCP addition to the starting lineup. he can play good defense and opens up the entire offensive.

no more congestion that Bradley used to cost us.

like u said love to have him but not irreplaceable piece
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He signed a 5-year extension with Portland last year. If Portland trades him, I think they'll get better offers than we can put together.
Not a bad idea. Send them something like Green, Kuzma, Cook, THT and #27. Put McCollum at the 1.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Bradley never really got his legs (between injuries before becoming a Laker and an injury while a Laker). His last 20 or so games, he was exactly what we needed. He gave us stellar D, scored in double figures, and hit his 3's are very good clip (over 40%). I do not think it was a coincidence that his best ball coincided with our team playing its best ball.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Lakers defense is better with Bradley in the game. It will make a difference as the playoffs progress IMO. There is a reason he was the starter.

The deeper the Lakers go the more his 24mpg will be missed. Especially as they get PG matchups that can't be contained by KCP, Waiters, Caruso or Green? Like them all for different reasons but not on ball pressure.

IMO it is similar in football to having a lockdown man CB vs a talented Zone coverage player. They are not interchangeable.

Bradley's on ball pressure and fighting through screens makes a difference. Nor does he typically get walked down into the paint and abused like Caruso.

My point above is the Lakers play at their best when they have that pressure. Without it they tend to have opposing PGs driving down the lane at will and either getting to the basket, getting the Bigs into foul trouble or creating passing lanes to open 3pt shooters. The "bad defense" I referred to above is the slow rotations and reactions to recover on shooters. Lakers have their moments but they are not consistent.

Of course Bradley is not irreplaceable but his loss on defense is much more then any offensive inconsistency he has or others will potentially provide. We will see who can step up and fill in those mpg.

Lakers were actually 13-1 in the 14 games he missed this season.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject:

Lakers defense is better with Bradley in the game. It will make a difference as the playoffs progress IMO. There is a reason he was the starter.

The deeper the Lakers go the more his 24mpg will be missed. Especially as they get PG matchups that can't be contained by KCP, Waiters, Caruso or Green? Like them all for different reasons but not on ball pressure.

IMO it is similar in football to having a lockdown man CB vs a talented Zone coverage player. They are not interchangeable.

Bradley's on ball pressure and fighting through screens makes a difference. Nor does he typically get walked down into the paint and abused like Caruso.

My point above is the Lakers play at their best when they have that pressure. Without it they tend to have opposing PGs driving down the lane at will and either getting to the basket, getting the Bigs into foul trouble or creating passing lanes to open 3pt shooters. The "bad defense" I referred to above is the slow rotations and reactions to recover on shooters. Lakers have their moments but they are not consistent.

Of course Bradley is not irreplaceable but his loss on defense is much more then any offensive inconsistency he has or others will potentially provide. We will see who can step up and fill in those mpg.

what bad habits they picked while bradley was gone?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

what bad habits they picked while bradley was gone?

Why not replace “bad defense” instead of “ bad habits”.

They have a different defensive intensity without him. Can we agree on that?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/1283898309392961537?s=21

Rumors that Durant wants Mark Jackson as next head coach of Nets
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

imagine going from Kenny Atkinson to mark Jackson
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

lol KD is gonna run the Nets to the ground
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yikes!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yikes!

I think Mark Jackson could be a good coach IF he doesn't force his religious beliefs on his players. I don't have any faith he's a championship-level coach though.
Plus, Kenny Atkinson and his staff were the best player development staff in the league. Success story after success story after success story with young guys who played under Atkinson.
In fairness though, not every coach that can turn a lottery team into a playoff team can also take the next step and turn a playoff team to a championship team. And BRK has to keep Kyrie and KD happy. That's their only shot at a chip. I don't think Atkinson got the most out of Kyrie.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yikes!

I think Mark Jackson could be a good coach IF he doesn't force his religious beliefs on his players. I don't have any faith he's a championship-level coach though.
Plus, Kenny Atkinson and his staff were the best player development staff in the league. Success story after success story after success story with young guys who played under Atkinson.
In fairness though, not every coach that can turn a lottery team into a playoff team can also take the next step and turn a playoff team to a championship team. And BRK has to keep Kyrie and KD happy. That's their only shot at a chip. I don't think Atkinson got the most out of Kyrie.

Yeah all good points.

I will say KD and Kyrie just always seem like they can cause an implosion at any time. Next season the pressure will be strictly on them as they get their coach and shape the roster in their way. We will see if they can handle it...their careers suggest the pressure might get to them.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:06 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Yeah all good points.

I will say KD and Kyrie just always seem like they can cause an implosion at any time. Next season the pressure will be strictly on them as they get their coach and shape the roster in their way. We will see if they can handle it...their careers suggest the pressure might get to them.

I think they'll be a 2nd or 3rd round playoff team next year. Don't see them winning a chip though. Doubt they can even come out of the east. Kyrie is made out of glass. And KD is a 7 footer recovering from a torn achilles.

Now if KD never tore his achilles. Then it could've been interesting. He was better than Kawhi ... who beat Greek Freak last year.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Now if KD never tore his achilles. Then it could've been interesting. He was better than Kawhi ... who beat Greek Freak last year.

Give me Kawhi. Defense matters when you defend like that.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Give me Kawhi. Defense matters when you defend like that.

Pre-achilles. I'd take KD. Pre Kawhi's knee-leg thing. They're pretty dead even.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Curious to see how the CBA is next season in regards to salary cap, luxury tax, MLE amount, amnesty, etc etc.

My MLE targets are Goran Dragic, Jordan Clarkson, Jeff Teague, Reggie Jackson
BI ANnual Excpetion-Moe Harkless, Hollis-Jefferson, Justin Holiday

Would fill our 2 biggest weakness (lack of playmaker outside of LeBron and bigger wing defender)

Also would shop McGee/Bradley/Cook and our 1st to see what's the BPA we could get through trade or sign and trade (Ibaka,C.Wood, Gallo, D.Rose)
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Curious to see how the CBA is next season in regards to salary cap, luxury tax, MLE amount, amnesty, etc etc.

My MLE targets are Goran Dragic, Jordan Clarkson, Jeff Teague, Reggie Jackson
BI ANnual Excpetion-Moe Harkless, Hollis-Jefferson, Justin Holiday

Would fill our 2 biggest weakness (lack of playmaker outside of LeBron and bigger wing defender)

Also would shop McGee/Bradley/Cook and our 1st to see what's the BPA we could get through trade or sign and trade (Ibaka,C.Wood, Gallo, D.Rose)

I'm a big Dragic-stan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4607, 4608, 4609 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 4608 of 8560
Jump to: