OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4626, 4627, 4628 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
The interest with Harkless and the Lakers seem mutual. With the emergence of Kuzma, the two way wing, will either guy want to take a bench roll?

That's what makes it tough. If Kuzma is "this guy", it wouldn't surprise me if they rolled with a very similar roster regardless of this year's results.

Adding depth is every bit as important. While I like the idea of Harkless a lot, Marc Gasol or Paul Millsap next to AD in closing lineups may be more intriguing.

Link?

I think he takes up d green spot

Link to what?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
The interest with Harkless and the Lakers seem mutual. With the emergence of Kuzma, the two way wing, will either guy want to take a bench roll?

That's what makes it tough. If Kuzma is "this guy", it wouldn't surprise me if they rolled with a very similar roster regardless of this year's results.

Adding depth is every bit as important. While I like the idea of Harkless a lot, Marc Gasol or Paul Millsap next to AD in closing lineups may be more intriguing.

Link?

Link to what?

Quote:

Quote:

hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Ball handler/wing defenders should be priority.

Not another big like gasol/bertans

Bertans is a 4/3.

But he's also $15-20mil.

Mike - in a typical FA year - possibly. 2020 free agents class, most likely, will be struggling to get paid

That's possible, for sure. But it's pretty hard to guess how the market is going to react in these conditions. I see other people fantasizing that all sorts of players will be forced to sign for cheap. That would surprise me. I'm expecting something of a mixed bag.

Reminds me of a friend saying good luck to football players getting new big contracts or extensions with all the uncertainty for the future and then less then a week later Mahomes signed for 500+ million haha. I know it's a completely different sport and we're talking role players but like you said who knows what will happen. I'm not even going to try and guess but it would surprise me as well.

The obvious great thing about this off season though is that we are going after role players from the get go and we'll clearly be a top destination for many for at least the following season.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Link?

Link to what?

Quote:

Quote:

I’m flattered, but that was a comment I made. Mike didn’t want to make a giant wall of comments, rightfully so.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

I’m flattered, but that was a comment I made. Mike didn’t want to make a giant wall of comments, rightfully so.

roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject:

in what world you let Zubac go to keep Mcgee.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:

I think that was the timing of cap space. Needed Zu/Muscala off to get FAs.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

I don't think that was it. Zubac's cap hold would have been less than $2 million, so they could have kept him, gone after free agents, and then resigned him. It was just a blunder.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

I don't think that was it. Zubac's cap hold would have been less than $2 million, so they could have kept him, gone after free agents, and then resigned him. It was just a blunder.

Ah. Terrible one.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
I love Gasol but no way am I committing our best FA tool to a center.

Why not? You have a chance of closing with him, at C because he's 3 and D (for a 5) and can actually pass.

Quote:

A secondary ball handler/attacking PG in the starting 5
Athletic defensive wings
A microwave scoring guard off the bench
Shooters, shooters shooters

These theoretical archetypes all cost substantially more than MLE contracts just for average to above average players.

Yeah. Gasol/Dwight/maybe Boogie trio would be solid, and possibly cheap.

I still lean first towards looking for wing defense and creation.

Sure. Just where? 2020 NBA FA list is out. Only thing left is... international? Undrafted FAs?

Yeah I don't see Gasol and AD as a good closing fit.. and Gasol is not getting any younger/spry. I personally see AD at his best down the stretch when he's at the 5 with a more mobile grouping around him. Kuz at the 4 and LeBron at the 3 are shoe ins especially if Kuzma keeps up this level of defense and efficiency.

I agree most of those will cost more than MLE money but it is what it is.. if we can check two boxes with MLE and Exception, then that's better than checking a box (Gasol) the doesn't need checking. Things could get very interesting if there is an amnesty but otherwise we need to be resourceful and dig deep into the FA bin.

Archetype players and means to possibly get them:

-- A secondary ball handler/attacking PG in the starting 5 - Dragic (MLE), CP3 (Trade), Collison (MLE for wishful thinking), Jeff Teague (MLE), DJ Augustin (Exception)
--Athletic defensive wings - Harkless (MLE/Exception), RHJ (Min), Jerami Grant (MLE), Josh Jackson (Exception/MLE), Bazemore (exception), Crowder (exception/MLE)
-- A microwave scoring guard off the bench - Clarkson (MLE), Dion (Min), Harris (MLE),
-- Shooters, shooters shooters - Luke Kennard (trade), Harris (MLE)
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

If 4yrs/$28M was the going rate for Ivica Zubac I’m happy to have another team pay it. We’re paying McGee and Howard less than his salary combined. Don’t think it’s wise to invest in a clunker Center unless they’re a star.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Zubac is like when the Cavs had Mozgov. Fourth option kind of center, nice little 10-15 foot baseline jumper. Not what we need at all.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

If 4yrs/$28M was the going rate for Ivica Zubac I’m happy to have another team pay it. We’re paying McGee and Howard less than his salary combined. Don’t think it’s wise to invest in a clunker Center unless they’re a star.

A 7-footer who can give you 8-8 in 19 minutes is probably worth $7 million in today's NBA.

We lucked into Howard, so I can't use him as a baseline.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

I gotta admit I miss Zubac, he has developed into a very nice role player but I’m perfectly fine with Howard and McGee.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Why not? You have a chance of closing with him, at C because he's 3 and D (for a 5) and can actually pass.

Quote:

Athletic defensive wings

These theoretical archetypes all cost substantially more than MLE contracts just for average to above average players.

Sure. Just where? 2020 NBA FA list is out. Only thing left is... international? Undrafted FAs?

Clarkson/Dragic/Teague-MLE

Harkless-Room Exception

I disagree on all of those values.

Think JC, Dragic, Teague are $12-$18mil guys

Think Harkless is the only MLE guy.

I only mention Millsap and Gasol because they're in the twilight of their careers and while they don't fill the most pressing needs, intelligent defenders that can space the floor and pass, are certainly needs.

Very doubtful they get anywhere close to those amounts in a depressed free agent market except maybe Dragic
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Athletic defensive wings

Harkless-Room Exception

I only mention Millsap and Gasol because they're in the twilight of their careers and while they don't fill the most pressing needs, intelligent defenders that can space the floor and pass, are certainly needs.

Very doubtful they get anywhere close to those amounts in a depressed free agent market except maybe Dragic

Who knows. The NBA/players union might decide to spread the pain around by artificially keeping the cap at $109 million, and then smoothing it
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

Wojespn: Players will be allowed to bring in family and "established longstanding personal friends," into The Bubble, per memo shared with teams today.

This is why I think Avery opting out is really fishy

The reason he opted out was because he didn't think his son would be allowed in due to his respiratory issues, though. I'm sure the league isn't going to be allowing family members in who are significantly vulnerable.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

As I remember it, Zubac was the price to pick up Muscala. I think Beasley was in the deal, too. The thinking was that we needed outside shooting and that Muscala could help with that. I guess he did, at least a little bit, but the season was already in a tailspin.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

Wojespn: Players will be allowed to bring in family and "established longstanding personal friends," into The Bubble, per memo shared with teams today.

This is why I think Avery opting out is really fishy

The reason he opted out was because he didn't think his son would be allowed in due to his respiratory issues, though. I'm sure the league isn't going to be allowing family members in who are significantly vulnerable.

Or Bradley could have chosen to leave his high risk child at home and isolate himself in the bubble for 90 days to focus on finishing the season.

I realize it is difficult to make that choice but think of all the professionals that have to leave their families at home for extended times without reaping the benefits of being a pro athlete.

Those deployed or those that choose a career that takes them on the road or to other parts of the world for several months. (Ex: engineers, researchers, Doctors w/o Borders, students, sales, transportation, etc .) All have career subsets that keep a person away from their families for weeks if not months at a time. Year after year, not a one time unique situation.

It’s a sacrifice. Just not Bradley’s.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject:

Zubac. I guess some Lakers fans miss him.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

As I remember it, Zubac was the price to pick up Muscala. I think Beasley was in the deal, too. The thinking was that we needed outside shooting and that Muscala could help with that. I guess he did, at least a little bit, but the season was already in a tailspin.

Magic wanted a floor-spacing big (he had one in Lopez who he stupidly let walk in the summer, but whatever) after Moe was slow to adapt due to injury/not being good enough and Kuzma was getting killed as a small-ball center - impressive foresight from Magic and Luke there, right?

The point of keeping Zu was as salary ballast in a potential sumnertime AD trade so the Lakers could've opened up cap for Kawhi (or another max star), traded for Davis, and still retained some of the young guys. Obviously it wouldn't have mattered because Griffin held Pelinka over a barrel after Magic went nuts at the trade deadline, no third max star ever signed up, and the roster was stripped bare in Pelinka's stupid staring contest with Griffin.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Athletic defensive wings

Harkless-Room Exception

Who knows. The NBA/players union might decide to spread the pain around by artificially keeping the cap at $109 million, and then smoothing it

Last time the players union was given the option of cap smoothing, we ended up with KD on the Warriors and 2 championships.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

The only players I miss is Brandon Ingram and Larry Nance Jr those guys always played with effort for us.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

I'd say these string of games is more impactful than McGee...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/z/zubaciv01/gamelog/2020

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Last time the players union was given the option of cap smoothing, we ended up with KD on the Warriors and 2 championships.

I wasn't even thinking of the cap stuff. Just the general player archetypes and how much teams are willing to shell out for talent within those archetypes.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4626, 4627, 4628 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 4627 of 8560
Jump to: