OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4725, 4726, 4727 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
The Lakers will have to find a way to pay Dwight more than the minimum, almost out of respect. He’s earned it. But honestly, what other teams out there are in the Dwight market?

Who wouldn't want him at above the veteran min? BAE? Maybe half an MLE? Denver could do that...

I just don't know if Dwight works for every team. Not sure being on such a young team will work for him. Dwight truly found a place that saved his NBA career. Otherwise he was about to be China bound.

The million dollar question is whether Dwight sees it that way or not.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
The Lakers will have to find a way to pay Dwight more than the minimum, almost out of respect. He’s earned it. But honestly, what other teams out there are in the Dwight market?

Who wouldn't want him at above the veteran min? BAE? Maybe half an MLE? Denver could do that...

I just don't know if Dwight works for every team. Not sure being on such a young team will work for him. Dwight truly found a place that saved his NBA career. Otherwise he was about to be China bound.

He's been on how many teams the past 5 years? I think he knows it may come down to chasing money again and jumping teams or staying with the Lakers for less money but a true home.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Full non-taxpayer MLE on a guy you have to sit for an entire playoff series is a waste. I love the guy for his turnaround but the most I spend on Dwight is the BAE. You need more versatility with whomever you spend the MLE on considering it's our best asset outside of a trade.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Full non-taxpayer MLE on a guy you have to sit for an entire playoff series is a waste. I love the guy for his turnaround but the most I spend on Dwight is the BAE. You need more versatility with whomever you spend the MLE on considering it's our best asset outside of a trade.

agree 100%. if not dwight we still have options like Noel, WCS, Tristan T, ALex Len
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

He's been on how many teams the past 5 years? I think he knows it may come down to chasing money again and jumping teams or staying with the Lakers for less money but a true home.

NBA players are mercenaries who seek out the best opportunities, so I'm not sure if this "true home" stuff really matters at all. Dwight could certainly go to another contender have the same success he had with us.

And even if he doesn't need the money, I'm sure it would on some level gall him for the Lakers to give money to someone else and expect him to take less just cause. And if we offer him $2.6 million and another team offers him $9.8 million, that's a big difference.

With Dwight, you never know what he'll do. We can sit here and guess, but it will depend on what offers he gets and the whims of his mercurial personality.

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
gng930 wrote:

agree 100%. if not dwight we still have options like Noel, WCS, Tristan T, ALex Len

Is TT a FA? I remember LeBron and Thompson hugged it out after a Cavs and Lakers game, they seem pretty close with each other.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

NBA players are mercenaries. Dwight could certainly go to, oh, Dallas and
have the same success he had with us.

And even if he doesn't need the money, I'm sure it would on some level gall him for the Lakers to give money to someone else and expect him to take less just cause. And if we offer him $2.6 million and another team offers him $9.8 million, that's a big difference.

With Dwight, you never know what he'll do. We can sit here and guess, but it will depend on what offers he gets.

Good Luck to any team that offers him 9.8 specially in this summer.

you tell Dwight Thanks and move on.

its that simple
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Is TT a FA? I remember LeBron and Thompson hugged it out after a Cavs and Lakers game, they seem pretty close with each other.

yeah, this is what spotrac says:
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/center/
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Tristan Thompson is the guy I’d love as a Dwight replacement, but he strikes me as the most sought-after Jokic-stopper.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

its that simple

Like I said, we'll see. I have no idea what offers he'll get. But I'm not sure if we could get another player better than Dwight for the one-year, MLE we might be offering.

Are the names people throwing around for the MLE -- like Marc Gasol and Paul Millsap -- really an improvement over Dwight?

I just wouldn't get locked into the idea that we have a god-given right to have Dwight on a minimum contract.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Tristan Thompson is the guy I’d love as a Dwight replacement, but he strikes me as the most sought-after Jokic-stopper.

Tritan might be available for the MLE. But if so, I can't examine he'd sign for only one year. If the Lakers are locked into only offering on year, that will decrease our options.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject:

^
Agreed. Dwight is probably worth about half of the MLE.

Markieff at the BAE would be great. I can't see him being worth more than half of the MLE at the high end.

I agree with yin about Clarkson. We have a defensive mindset on this team, and I just don't know that he fits that. I will say that Clarkson on the full MLE is more palatable than Dinwiddie, since Dinwiddie will require assets to procure. But yeah, Vogel would probably just prefer Bradley's return. Keep in mind that the Lakers view Rondo as the secondary creator and even if he's not very good in the regular season, I don't know that the team will invest heavily in a Clarkson-type player when they think they have a swagged-out Rondo for the playoffs.

Marc Gasol is immobile. Don't want.

Harkless is a NY guy and it's likely that the Knicks keep him, but he'd be a good fit, sure.

I also think it's worth noting that Danny Green would be in a contract year next season, so he'd probably perk up with the shooting during the regular season. Still, I'm OK with dealing him if it would bring back a true 3rd scoring option on a nightly basis.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

is he really a jokic stopper tough?

jokic in game 1: 25:25mins 21/6/2. Dwight played 16mins 4 fouls
Jokic in game 2: 38:39mins 30/6/9/4 Dwight played 12:45mins and had 5 fouls
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Remember. Vogel's team is built on an ethos of defense and hustle.

Does Clarkson fit into that mold?

I get that he would bring some offensive scoring, and his being Klutch and a former Laker could help. I also question the same about Dinwiddie, b/c it would take several trade assets to get him. So of the two, Clarkson probably the more palatable.

Always thought Clarkson fit well with our team. He took a smaller contract to remain with the Lakers, didn't pout when they put him in the bench, strived to be 6th man every year, and got along with everyone. Not good on defense but you never know with Vogel. He is quick enough to maybe be average defender.

DLO at 27M, Randle at 19M, and BI about to get paid (probably 27M), I didn't understand why everyone was so against someone that made 10M.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

NBA players are mercenaries who seek out the best opportunities, so I'm not sure if this "true home" stuff really matters at all. Dwight could certainly go to another contender have the same success he had with us.

With Dwight, you never know what he'll do. We can sit here and guess, but it will depend on what offers he gets and the whims of his mercurial personality.

But that's the problem. I'm sure a team is sitting there thinking, "can we give Dwight the right environment just like the Lakers? Will we drop $10m on him and based on his mercurial personality, he reverts?"
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

its that simple

Like I said, we'll see. I have no idea what offers he'll get. But I'm not sure if we could get another player better than Dwight for the one-year, MLE we might be offering.

Are the names people throwing around for the MLE -- like Marc Gasol and Paul Millsap -- really an improvement over Dwight?

I just wouldn't get locked into the idea that we have a god-given right to have Dwight on a minimum contract.

It’s also not given that we can keep Rondo on a minimum contract too especially that Playoff Rondo is balling like that. Who’s to say Clippers who badly needed a leader and a playmaker will not overpay him. Other contending teams might overbid too.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

its that simple

It’s also not given that we can keep Rondo on a minimum contract too especially that Playoff Rondo is balling like that. Who’s to say Clippers who badly needed a leader and a playmaker will not overpay him. Other contending teams might overbid too.

That's true. This will be an interesting free agent period to watch.

In any case, Dwight and Rondo have really performed above their pay grade this year. If they leave, such is life. Bargains don't last forever.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

its that simple

In any case, Dwight and Rondo have really performed above their pay grade this year. If they leave, such is life. Bargains don't last forever.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CRoost wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

its that simple

after we win our chip this year, we will get more bargains and hoppers. I am not worried

Doc and Rondo hated each other and they traded Rondo. I doubt he goes to the clippers. he also had a bad reputation before he joined the lakers and is BFF with AD.

we shall see i guess
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject:

I think of Dwight like I think of 35 year old Alonzo Mourning in 2005-06. Nash won the MVP, but 'Zo was the biggest difference maker in the league that year. He only played 20 minutes/game, but he was critical for Miami in those minutes that Shaq was out and he brought defensive intensity to that 2nd unit.

He had an equally good year (statistically) at age 36, but with Shaq & DWade missing half the season, the Heat couldn't repeat.

I keep Dwight, even if it costs the full MLE for a season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
I think of Dwight like I think of 35 year old Alonzo Mourning in 2005-06. Nash won the MVP, but 'Zo was the biggest difference maker in the league that year. He only played 20 minutes/game, but he was critical for Miami in those minutes that Shaq was out and he brought defensive intensity to that 2nd unit.

He had an equally good year (statistically) at age 36, but with Shaq & DWade missing half the season, the Heat couldn't repeat.

I keep Dwight, even if it costs the full MLE for a season.

That would be a huge mistake to use the full MLE on him. If he leaves, he leaves with our blessing. To throw 9-10m on him is a mistake. And I want him to stay but we have other needs too.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
gng930 wrote:

yeah, this is what spotrac says:
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/center/

If Howard walks I’m contacting TT and Noel and see if 1 of them want to come here on a significant paycut to play for a ring.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Billy Donovan agrees to become the next coach of the Bulls.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject:

billy D went to chicago? good choice i think
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Good fit, that’s a nice hire.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4725, 4726, 4727 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 4726 of 8560
Jump to: