OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5977, 5978, 5979 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
THT is 20 years old and shooting like Schroder is at 27 years old.

If THT was still shooting 47% eFG at 27 years old, I'd be running the other way from a huge contract for him just like I'm pleading the Lakers to do now with Schroder

We see the potential in THT... which is why Rob (or Klutch) wouldn't pull the trigger on the Lowry trade.

This is pretty much it for Schroder. Maybe he gets up to 35% from 3 if we are lucky... but he's just a solid but limited player.

Again I get the point about no other options... however, I'm over him at this point. I'm going to trust that Lakers brain trust will draft a good replacement... maybe we sign someone cheap like Payton to hold down the ship until THT and the new draftee are ready... but I don't see much difference between what Schroder will do with LBJ and AD and any other journeyman point guard like Dellevadova could do.

This x 10.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Schroeder would be one of the worst 20+ million dollar players in the league.

If the Lakers can sign Drummond instead, they will. It will require some salary maneuvering, but it can be done. It would obviously require Drummond to not want a max type contract. Guy has already made 100+ million dollars in his career. I guess he would have a choice to make if he wants a great chance to win every year for at least the next 3+ seasons or if he wants to get paid again.

Wonder what happened between him and Pelinka back in the day.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
THT is 20 years old and shooting like Schroder is at 27 years old.

If THT was still shooting 47% eFG at 27 years old, I'd be running the other way from a huge contract for him just like I'm pleading the Lakers to do now with Schroder

We see the potential in THT... which is why Rob (or Klutch) wouldn't pull the trigger on the Lowry trade.

This is pretty much it for Schroder. Maybe he gets up to 35% from 3 if we are lucky... but he's just a solid but limited player.

Again I get the point about no other options... however, I'm over him at this point. I'm going to trust that Lakers brain trust will draft a good replacement... maybe we sign someone cheap like Payton to hold down the ship until THT and the new draftee are ready... but I don't see much difference between what Schroder will do with LBJ and AD and any other journeyman point guard like Dellevadova could do.

You may be over him, but it does not seem that Rob/Jeanie are. They made that offer that many said the Lakers would not for Dennis. I don't think Payton will be a minimum deal (which is all we would have to work with, unless you are suggesting using part of the mini-MLE on him). At the end of the day none of our views matter. Jeanie/Rob will make that call. They've already showed their hand to Dennis and it's in his court now. He needs to put up or shut up and he'll have that chance in the playoffs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Never mentioned signing him next year for 14-16 mil. I did mention 9.5 mil. Then resign him the year after where he is eligible for more money hence the 2-3 year time frame.

The thing is I prefer guards who can shoot the 3ball instead of one who can't especially next to Lebron. That's a commodity that is relatively cheap and available.

This has nothing to do with Dennis. And if you prefer guards who shoot the 3 ball, what about THT? He's even worse at shooting 3s. I digress.

But even to get to the full MLE, we will have to trade out guys on contract (i.e. KCP/Kuz/etc.) to qualify. That only goes to under cap teams IIRC. And we are not that.

Not sure why you always need to point out a flaw in another Laker to prove a point but I digress.

There is also a cap threshold that I am sure Rob has to work under and if signing DS over a $ value results in losing 3-4 of AC, Kief, Trez, Drummond, McLemore, Wes then what is the difference in trading away 1 or 2 players?

No, you're pointing out a specific flaw in a guard, i.e. 3 point shooting. But THT cannot, so there is an inconsistency in the logic (and you know how high I am on THT).

Cap threshold? We will be an above cap team for the foreseeable future. If you're talking about luxury taxes, I doubt Jeanie is going to be stingy in this limited LBJ/AD championship run. AC/Kieff/Trezz/Drummond, all are free agents. We have bird/early bird rights on AC/Kieff. The Drummond scenarios are really unrealistic if you look at the cap structure.

Well you pointed out a flaw in not liking a non-spacing center so what is the difference if I point out not liking a non-3pt shooting guard next to Lebron? You are not being consistent with your logic. Also did I ever mention THT starting next to Lebron or just another assumption you got reading between the lines?

As for the cap Emplay's article also doubts the Lakers will be willing to spend significantly into the luxury tax. It is not only Jeanie's decision. She has other stakeholders in the Lakers she needs to take into consideration and I am sure the $'s would be a concern. At least I would be.

But I'm then arguing that we should sign a non-spacing center (which I didn't, I suggested someone like Dieng who spaces the floor). I'm being consistent with my logic.

Dennis has actually been improving on his 3%.

Last 25 games he's shooting 38.6% from 3s on 3.3 attempts a game. It's trending upwards.

Last 10 games, he's shooting 42.9% from 3s on 3.8 attempts a game.

You won't mistake him for Ray Allen, but he's really improving on his 3s.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:

If the Lakers can sign Drummond instead, they will. It will require some salary maneuvering, but it can be done. It would obviously require Drummond to not want a max type contract. Guy has already made 100+ million dollars in his career. I guess he would have a choice to make if he wants a great chance to win every year for at least the next 3+ seasons or if he wants to get paid again.

I don’t think anyone is going give Drummond anything close to $20M. I see him getting MLE type money or somewhere in the 10-12M. It’s a tough market for traditional 5s, Gobert the only exception and he’s really overpaid.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Never mentioned signing him next year for 14-16 mil. I did mention 9.5 mil. Then resign him the year after where he is eligible for more money hence the 2-3 year time frame.

The thing is I prefer guards who can shoot the 3ball instead of one who can't especially next to Lebron. That's a commodity that is relatively cheap and available.

This has nothing to do with Dennis. And if you prefer guards who shoot the 3 ball, what about THT? He's even worse at shooting 3s. I digress.

But even to get to the full MLE, we will have to trade out guys on contract (i.e. KCP/Kuz/etc.) to qualify. That only goes to under cap teams IIRC. And we are not that.

Not sure why you always need to point out a flaw in another Laker to prove a point but I digress.

There is also a cap threshold that I am sure Rob has to work under and if signing DS over a $ value results in losing 3-4 of AC, Kief, Trez, Drummond, McLemore, Wes then what is the difference in trading away 1 or 2 players?

No, you're pointing out a specific flaw in a guard, i.e. 3 point shooting. But THT cannot, so there is an inconsistency in the logic (and you know how high I am on THT).

Cap threshold? We will be an above cap team for the foreseeable future. If you're talking about luxury taxes, I doubt Jeanie is going to be stingy in this limited LBJ/AD championship run. AC/Kieff/Trezz/Drummond, all are free agents. We have bird/early bird rights on AC/Kieff. The Drummond scenarios are really unrealistic if you look at the cap structure.

Well you pointed out a flaw in not liking a non-spacing center so what is the difference if I point out not liking a non-3pt shooting guard next to Lebron? You are not being consistent with your logic. Also did I ever mention THT starting next to Lebron or just another assumption you got reading between the lines?

As for the cap Emplay's article also doubts the Lakers will be willing to spend significantly into the luxury tax. It is not only Jeanie's decision. She has other stakeholders in the Lakers she needs to take into consideration and I am sure the $'s would be a concern. At least I would be.

But I'm then arguing that we should sign a non-spacing center (which I didn't, I suggested someone like Dieng who spaces the floor). I'm being consistent with my logic.

Dennis has actually been improving on his 3%.

Last 25 games he's shooting 38.6% from 3s on 3.3 attempts a game. It's trending upwards.

Last 10 games, he's shooting 42.9% from 3s on 3.8 attempts a game.

You won't mistake him for Ray Allen, but he's really improving on his 3s.

The only issue I had was you stating I am not consistent with my logic that I prefer a 3pt shooting guard next to Lebron. I still prefer a guard but one who can shoot that 3ball.

Yes I recognize DS has shot better from 3 which is encouraging and I surely hope it continues thru the playoffs. Despite his bad shooting earlier in the season I wanted him to take a consistent 4-5 per game and reduce some of his drives to the hoop. The only way to get consistency imo is to execute during the games and 1-2 shots per game would not accomplish this. He needed to shoot his way out of the slump. Also bigs from other teams were collapsing the lane knowing his reluctance to shoot and for his propensity to drive.

A side benefit is less empty possessions or outright TOVs. Take the Hornets game where he only recorded 1 turnover. What was not listed is in the 3rd quarter he drove I believe 3 times into a packed lane and got blocked or threw up an un-makeable shot that resulted in 3 empty possessions. Essentially they are turnovers and this has happened too many times during the season. Even if he doesn't shoot league average there will be runs where he will shoot 35-40% and that is what I look for in a 3pt shooting guard.

You and I have disagreed about Dennis going back months which results in mostly good exchanges but sometimes a little off kilter to be PC. I am realistic about his contract and asset management but I hope you see the good a contrarian can bring to the discussion. I mean bringing up Drummond possibly affecting DS signing was just food for thought regardless of how likely or unlikely this is.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

I don’t think anyone is going give Drummond anything close to $20M. I see him getting MLE type money or somewhere in the 10-12M. It’s a tough market for traditional 5s, Gobert the only exception and he’s really overpaid.

+1. Maybe 14 mil for a center needy team. Not sure of the Hornets cap but they look ideal with LaMelo and their perimeter shooters.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject:

You know my position on Dennis mostly as an asset-based perspective. I think he's "worth" 18-20m/year to me, but that isn't his "worth" to the Lakers as they offered him much more. I'm fine with that if they want him and think he brings that value (b/c we've discussed at length how tough it gets if he walks for nothing).

We are being harsh assessing our players without LBJ/AD. And we are being premature about it. Let's see how our full squad looks. B/c last time we were full, we were #1 in the West.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
You know my position on Dennis mostly as an asset-based perspective. I think he's "worth" 18-20m/year to me, but that isn't his "worth" to the Lakers as they offered him much more. I'm fine with that if they want him and think he brings that value (b/c we've discussed at length how tough it gets if he walks for nothing).

We are being harsh assessing our players without LBJ/AD. And we are being premature about it. Let's see how our full squad looks. B/c last time we were full, we were #1 in the West.

Again overall your assessment is reasonable... however, if Rob and Jeanie were content this deal would be done already and we wouldn't have gone after Lowry. I'm sure they are not burning bridges with Dennis and keeping all options open. However, until this is finalized, I will continue to advocate for not signing him... hoping by some miracle a butterfly effect happens and they decide against it.

If we are stuck with him, I'll just have to accept it and move forward... but I'm not going to stay quiet until that deal is done.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject:

"Butterfly effect." Another former sentient poster always used that.

If a player puts on a Lakers jersey, I cheer hard for that player. If Dennis makes 15 or 25m, I will cheer equally hard for him. I hope he kills it in the playoffs and this team wins another ring.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
"Butterfly effect." Another former sentient poster always used that.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Again overall your assessment is reasonable... however, if Rob and Jeanie were content this deal would be done already and we wouldn't have gone after Lowry. I'm sure they are not burning bridges with Dennis and keeping all options open. However, until this is finalized, I will continue to advocate for not signing him... hoping by some miracle a butterfly effect happens and they decide against it.

If we are stuck with him, I'll just have to accept it and move forward... but I'm not going to stay quiet until that deal is done.

Rob and Jeanie did try that $21m deal, DS turned it down
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Report: Zach LaVine expected to forgo Bulls contract extension, become unrestricted free agent in 2022

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/1383194059955666952?s=21
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Report: Zach LaVine expected to forgo Bulls contract extension, become unrestricted free agent in 2022

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/1383194059955666952?s=21

I think it might have been E’s article, but I guess the Bulls could use cap room to renegotiate LaVine’s deal, increasing his salary next year and do a bigger, market extension in the process. That would mean no Ball or DS though.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Pjilly losing to clips. I am still not sure why they didnt offer Ben simmons. Philly wont come out of east.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Nuggets actually have been winning without Murray even before he didn’t suffer the ACL injury not sure it’s right to just ignore them as a threat in the WC.
crackadon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
Pjilly losing to clips. I am still not sure why they didnt offer Ben simmons. Philly wont come out of east.

Why do you guys post your wild cold takes before the games end? Sixers ended up winning.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject:

crackadon wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

Why do you guys post your wild cold takes before the games end? Sixers ended up winning.

miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Moritz Wagner anyone?

Celtics waiving him to make room for Jabari Parker...
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject:

crackadon wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

I didn't say they lost. They ended up winning by 3 points...
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
crackadon wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

I didn't say they lost. They ended up winning by 3 points...

Also they reportedly did offer Ben Simmons for Harden in a trade package. That is on the Rockets for turning it down. They are likely still salty at Daryl Morey.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Moritz Wagner anyone?

Celtics waiving him to make room for Jabari Parker...

He would not be eligible for the playoffs.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
So proud of Julius Randle for finally fulfilling his potential as a basketball player he’s like a mini Charles Barkley right now in terms of play style.

44/10/7 against the Mavs. Getting the job done.

Thibs has given him control of the offense and he plays like a lesser Lebron. The passing is there almost every game. No longer tunnel vision bull in the china shop drives.

Thibs supposedly has highly regarded development coaches and it seems all their players are benefiting. They did just lose Mike Woodson to Indiana University.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
So proud of Julius Randle for finally fulfilling his potential as a basketball player he’s like a mini Charles Barkley right now in terms of play style.

44/10/7 against the Mavs. Getting the job done.

Thibs has given him control of the offense and he plays like a lesser Lebron. The passing is there almost every game. No longer tunnel vision bull in the china shop drives.

Thibs supposedly has highly regarded development coaches and it seems all their players are benefiting. They did just lose Mike Woodson to Indiana University.

When he came into the league, he was basically just entirely around the basket. Watched him some tonight, it's just remarkable how he has developed both a mid and long range game.

The one guy that also impressed me from the Knicks was Barrett. That guy just finds a way into the paint and I saw a few times where he was blanketed but still found a way to get the ball in. Can also hit a 3.

If Barret keeps developing, and Knicks add a good all around player, they could be a problem next year.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Knew Julius would be a good player, but didn’t think he would be THIS good.

Happy for Julius. He’s become a really good player. Even being the #1 option and focus of opponent, he’s still has stretches of being unstoppable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5977, 5978, 5979 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 5978 of 8560
Jump to: