OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7125, 7126, 7127 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
The Warriors spent $147 million in tax last season. This season they are scheduled to pay $170 million in tax. In other words, they are breaking the competitive controls the owners put in place by eschewing a profit motive. That's BAD for the league on multiple levels.

They aren't "breaking the competitive controls." They are playing by the same rules as everyone else.

I'm not sure they're eschewing the profit motive. They might merely be taking a short term hit, banking that the cost will be repaid in the team's success and appreciation. In the past decade, Warriors owners have made roughly $350 million a year in team appreciation.

And, of course, when the owners are a couple of billionaires, they can roll with some yearly losses.

That's Monopoly money. Team appreciation only matters when you go to borrow against or sell the team. The Lakers don't want to do either.

The Lakers are EXTREMELY risk averse, and with good reason. Early in his tenure, Dr. Buss rolled the dice on a lot of risky investments, over leveraged, and nearly lost the Lakers in 1985 (had he gone into foreclosure or bankruptcy, the league would've taken over the team and sold it). The Lakers have been tight ever since . . . while managing to win 9 titles.

And the obvious example everyone ignores is the Knicks, who have bigger revenue, proprietary cable deal, decades of luxury tax payments & a deep pocketed owner . . . but have gone almost 50 years without a championship.

Warriors are a solid organization that has also been very lucky (says the man whose team won a coin flip to get Magic Johnson).
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
And the obvious example everyone ignores is the Knicks, who have bigger revenue, proprietary cable deal, decades of luxury tax payments & a deep pocketed owner . . . but have gone almost 50 years without a championship.

A few people in this thread, like myself and Hunter, have pointed out that spending willy-nilly is not inherently a pathway to success.

And historically, there has been no correlation between the success of NBA franchises and how wealthy the owner is.

But I understand the emotional angst fans feel when good players are allowed to leave for financial reasons.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject:

With the CBA and luxury tax it is easy to understand why some players had to leave. You might not like it but you understand. What is more difficult is the non-CBA cheapness. Passing on your first two choices for head coach because you don’t want to pay them. Not bringing in a seasoned NBA executive to mentor Pelinka. Those non-moves are where you realize that the Warriors are a better fan organization. The Lakers are far from the bottom but likely will lose ground in the future barring a sale. Jeanie won’t change and more billionaires will buy into the league. There are rumors now that Iger is trying to buy the Suns, that could change the balance in the West.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Warriors earned 700 mil last season (Covid), they will earn more than that, they can simply afford the tax bill. Why not pay for the tax bill and win championships when you get a chance? Especially the alternative would be the dreaded revenue sharing( I am not sure how NBA calculates revenue generated by teams own arena).
Jeanie blow this one big time

I'm not so sure about the $700M number. I recall that there were some really big estimates a few years ago, but that was before Covid. It's not so clear whether the Warriors actually realized revenues at that level. But sure, the Warriors are a high revenue team, and their owners have the financial ability to absorb a ton of luxury tax if they want to. As AV said, the ultimate payoff here is franchise valuation.

More generally, I'm not sure how impressed we should be with the argument that owners should break the bank on luxury tax. Fans are always going to be willing to spend other people's money. You see this all the time in European football. If a team has the audacity to turn a profit, the fans get all bent out of shape. They all complain about teams that are owned by a Russian oligarch, Qatar, the UAE, or now Saudi Arabia, but secretly they all dream of having that kind of owner. Whether this is a good thing for the sport is another matter.

Anyway, the Lakers are fundamentally a family business. If Dr. Buss had the good sense to sell the team, we might have a zillionaire owner. That might or might not be a good thing. Ask a Knicks fan about that. But Dr. Buss turned the franchise over to his mediocre kids. Individually, they do not have bottomless pockets. That's just the reality of the situation.

the warriors owner paid 450mil for the warriors in 2010, and they were 11th on the team valuation rank according to forbes. Lakers were worth twice as much. today, they are the 2nd on the last which put them past the lakers on team valuation. i think they will get the top spot soon. the warriors owner didn't splurge right away, it wasn't until the splash bros came around. my point is that Jeanie should not be paying luxury taxes every year, but when you really needed them to go the championships on certain years, she should just go for it. like keeping AC might cost her 40 mil, but if the revenue is high, it doesn't hurt as much. i am pretty sure if KD wanted the stay with the warriors, they'd be happy to pay him along with Klay, Steph and DG which would result in stupid amount of taxes, but they can get it back with even higher revenue.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
The Warriors spent $147 million in tax last season. This season they are scheduled to pay $170 million in tax. In other words, they are breaking the competitive controls the owners put in place by eschewing a profit motive. That's BAD for the league on multiple levels.

They aren't "breaking the competitive controls." They are playing by the same rules as everyone else.

I'm not sure they're eschewing the profit motive. They might merely be taking a short term hit, banking that the cost will be repaid in the team's success and appreciation. In the past decade, Warriors owners have made roughly $350 million a year in team appreciation.

And, of course, when the owners are a couple of billionaires, they can roll with some yearly losses.

Warriors earned 700 mil last season (Covid), they will earn more than that, they can simply afford the tax bill. Why not pay for the tax bill and win championships when you get a chance? Especially the alternative would be the dreaded revenue sharing( I am not sure how NBA calculates revenue generated by teams own arena).
Jeanie blow this one big time

I know the $700 million figure was bandied around pre-covid. According to Forbes, the Warriors had $258 million in revenues last year and an operating loss of $44 million.

that number included debt payment and net revenue sharing, yes, they were hit hard by Covid. chase center brings 80% of their revenues. SF has the strictest Covid rules. they earned 474 mil the year before, with the Lakers earning 400 mil, and i fully expect their gap to grow.
of course there will be risks like Covid and teams sucking for a long period of time, but i believe the Lakers are in the best position of all NBA teams to minimize the risk.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
It should be noted that Jeanie is following her dad's instructions and vision.

Her dad’s instructions and vision did not include her being in charge of the basketball side. Let’s not forget that. She started meddling almost from the start. But I’m not going to defend Jim. He’s just another mediocre Buss kid.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
It should be noted that Jeanie is following her dad's instructions and vision.

Her dad’s instructions and vision did not include her being in charge of the basketball side. Let’s not forget that. She started meddling almost from the start. But I’m not going to defend Jim. He’s just another mediocre Buss kid.

That can be interpreted in many ways, but ok.

The point was not on whether she overstated her authority, but what the general Buss family principals were on spending. Dr Buss was very stingy with spending on role players. We were never a team that spent on coaching, and role players heavily.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

Since Dr. Buss’ death,
Warriors - 3 title
LeBron - 3
Heat - 1
Spurs - 1
Cavs - 1
Raptors - 1
Lakers - 1
Bucks - 1
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Since Dr. Buss’ death,
Warriors - 3 title
LeBron - 3
Heat - 1
Spurs - 1
Cavs - 1
Raptors - 1
Lakers - 1
Bucks - 1

The Lakers are what many of speculated about without Dr. Buss, another good team that can put it together for a title. I wouldn’t be surprised to see another team with one title after this season.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Jerry Buss was a basketball visionary. Too bad none of his smartness was passed down on to his kids. It's sad to see his kids slowly destroying what he had built. Jeanie has been owner since 2013, of those 8 years, we won one championship but now we know it was more luck than anything. Not counting 2020, the team really hasn't gone anywhere ever since she took over.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Jerry Buss was a basketball visionary. Too bad none of his smartness was passed down on to his kids. It's sad to see his kids slowly destroying what he had built. Jeanie has been owner since 2013, of those 8 years, we won one championship but now we know it was more luck than anything. Not counting 2020, the team really hasn't gone anywhere ever since she took over.

PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

-lakersground.net
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Lakersfever714 has been bringing that notorious negative energy since the season started, it’s okay to express concern but doing it in a consistent basis is just gonna cause stir, we all want the team to succeed but we also have to be patient until the team figures it out.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LGFan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Lakersfever714 has been bringing that notorious negative energy since the season started, it’s okay to express concern but doing it in a consistent basis is just gonna cause stir, we all want the team to succeed but we also have to be patient until the team figures it out.

You're ok with being patient with Jeanie until she figures it out? Well, I don't. That's why I'm advocating for a change of ownership. I'm just trying to make a good case of why there should be such a change. No hard feelings.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LGFan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

You're ok with being patient with Jeanie until she figures it out? Well, I don't. That's why I'm advocating for a change of ownership. I'm just trying to make a good case of why there should be such a change. No hard feelings.

If the season ends up being a failure, Jeannie won’t be the scapegoat it will be Pelinka and Vogel, Dr. Buss has always wanted the Buss kids to be the successor of the franchise.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LGFan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Until figure out what? Win back to back? Three peat? Which one?

She just won a championship a year back, some teams haven’t won a chip since they came into existence

You can advocate all you want but nothing is changing on ownership side
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LGFan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Warriors - 3
Lakers - 1
Spurs - 1
Cavs - 1
Bucks - 1
Heat 1

Since Dr. Buss died, those are the teams that have won rings. With the exception of the Cavs, ALL of those teams had better records/rosters than the Lakers in 2013.

The Lakers lost Kobe & Nash to age/injuries, lost Dwight in free agency and had Mitch/Jim saddle the team with bad contracts . . . but managed to win a chip. Hate Jeanie all you want, but she has scoreboard.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
With the CBA and luxury tax it is easy to understand why some players had to leave. You might not like it but you understand. What is more difficult is the non-CBA cheapness. Passing on your first two choices for head coach because you don’t want to pay them. Not bringing in a seasoned NBA executive to mentor Pelinka. Those non-moves are where you realize that the Warriors are a better fan organization. The Lakers are far from the bottom but likely will lose ground in the future barring a sale. Jeanie won’t change and more billionaires will buy into the league. There are rumors now that Iger is trying to buy the Suns, that could change the balance in the West.

Also let’s add that unlike the dubs, we are not repeat tax offenders. The dubs have a more punitive tax rate than us for every dollar over the 143m tax threshold, because they’ve been tax payers in 3 of the previous 4 seasons (ie repeat tax offender).

Also consider, that tax payments were cut nearly 30% due to COVID impacting the league’s BRI the last couple of years. So for example, the dubs owed about 120m in taxes last season due to being a repeat tax offender. However, they only had to pay about 85m due to the COVID tax cut.

That same principle can also apply this year due to how COVID has impacted arena attendance. So our tax bill this year could potentially be a lot less than currently projected.

So not being a repeat tax offender with associated punitive tax rates along with yet another potential COVID tax forgiveness cut makes our thriftiness look so much more worse.

Add to that how we have a generational player in LeBron on his last legs and it’s absolutely imperative that we exploit and squeeze out any last bit of title contention out of this current title window. We could have & absolutely should have spent more this past offseason in securing our title hopes either via keeping our own bird free agents or using them assets in targeting another player via trade.

Quote:
Everyone has their reasons to stay home, and those decisions add up. NBA and NHL attendance are way down from 2018-19, the last season in either league that COVID-19 didn’t shorten. Through Thursday, 23 NBA and 23 NHL franchises were experiencing spectatorship decreases. Of those 46 teams, 27 have seen attendance dip by more than 10%. Eight clubs are down more than 20%. These teams are spread across the United States and Canada, but all are playing indoors during a pandemic that won’t relent.

The proportion of U.S. sports fans who said they'd be comfortable going to games indoors doubled between March and July to peak at 53%, according to survey data from intelligence company Morning Consult. But the trend cooled and that figure has stalled below 50% throughout the fall.

12 of the NBA's 30 teams have shown double-digit losses in attendance this season when compared to 2018-19. – via Nick Faris @ The Score

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/2235213

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie Buss is probably the most passionate owner in the whole NBA with the exception of the Warriors and Suns and the Bucks.. injuries have prevented us from viewing what the team’s potential is, there is a good chance we have a better record then 11-11 if we were relatively healthy to start the season, she has created 2 title contenders in her stop as a owner the first 1 was in 2020 when we won in the bubble and this year with a big 3 and the roster still cooperating to find that winning formula, criticizing her is plain stupid.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LGFan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

She just won a championship a year back, some teams haven’t won a chip since they came into existence

How much credit do u give her for our latest championship? Pelinka's hire? Did she or Pelinka masterfully orchestrated the signing of Lebron? Would the Lakers have won if there wasn't a 3-month hiatus that disproportionately benefit them because of Lebron?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
RashardA wrote:
The Warriors are the standard.

That's how you build a team for sustained success.

They've had a lot of good luck.

In a short period, they drafted Curry, Thompson, and Greene -- all of whom turned out to be much better than their draft position. And then they had the luck of the revenues shooting up, so they had cap space to sign Durant.

I don't know that they have any model that can be replicated, even by themselves after Curry hangs it up.

I agree, they outplayed their position in the draft, but also, they were patient with their youngsters and built around them. Lakers are not. They say that isn't the Laker way. Lakers have a 2 or 3 year window. DLO and Zo were getting better yearly, and were traded within 2 years. Brandon Ingram was getting better yearly and he got traded within 3 years. We let Randle walk after 4 years, even though he was getting better.

After Jerry West, Jerry Buss, Mitch, and Jim Buss, we fixate on star power than homegrown talent, that could potentially turn into stars. Now I don't mind that, if we had an actual vision; like when we had Eddie Jones and Nick Van Exel. We had an actual vision and filled in the holes of need. That is what the warriors are doing. With us, now, we like to try to speed up the process of success and it hurts sustainable success because we have no vision. We get pieces and say make it work. Doesn't matter about fit, chemistry; it doesn't matter if they work with the coach we have.... We have names so it should work.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

That's Monopoly money. Team appreciation only matters when you go to borrow against or sell the team. The Lakers don't want to do either.

The Lakers are EXTREMELY risk averse, and with good reason. Early in his tenure, Dr. Buss rolled the dice on a lot of risky investments, over leveraged, and nearly lost the Lakers in 1985 (had he gone into foreclosure or bankruptcy, the league would've taken over the team and sold it). The Lakers have been tight ever since . . . while managing to win 9 titles.

Warriors are a solid organization that has also been very lucky (says the man whose team won a coin flip to get Magic Johnson).

The nature of the business has changed so much since Dr. Buss' days. Teams can capitalize on their influence in so many different ways now, the franchise is more of a strategic holding in a compendium of business assets. Real Estate, gaming, gambling, crypto, international opportunities, not to mention the cache that owners get in all sorts of business dealings. Heck, the NBA impacts culture domestically and abroad. You see it in the TV money too. Viewership doesn't necessarily warrant explosive growth in the TV contract. But the NBA's strategic position with a highly desired demographic make it a winning proposition. The operational P&L of a team is almost meaningless if you have the right surrounding business infrastructure.

The billionaires figured this out some time ago, which is why anytime a team comes up for sale the number basically starts at $2B. The Buss family is sitting on a gold mine but they don't have the right tools to dig up the loot. I'm surprised someone hasn't shown up with a deal too rich to turn down at this point. Maybe that's what they're waiting for.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
LGFan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LGFan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

How much credit do u give her for our latest championship? Pelinka's hire? Did she or Pelinka masterfully orchestrated the signing of Lebron? Would the Lakers have won if there wasn't a 3-month hiatus that disproportionately benefit them because of Lebron?

100% credit. same credit goes to Giannis and Bucks for last championship.

same 100% credit goes to whoever wins this championship
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Jerry Buss was a basketball visionary. Too bad none of his smartness was pass Jeanie has been owner since 2013, of those 8 years, we won one championship but now we know it was more luck than anything. Not counting 2020, the team really hasn't gone anywhere ever since she took over.

Translation: "Jeanie took over in 2013 and the team won a ring in 2020. But since my position is the team has accomplished nothing under her, I am going to pretend the ring didn't happen."
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

GS superteam - 3 vs Klutch - 3

Gotta hand It to RP, title per title with Warriors
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7125, 7126, 7127 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7126 of 8560
Jump to: