OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 986, 987, 988 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject:

nzahir wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
nzahir wrote:
What good FA's do you guys see taking a 1 year deal if we overpay a lot?

I feel like Boogie would take a 1 year 20M deal with no 2nd year option just so he can prove he could play.

I like the idea of keeping cap space for AD (depending where he gets traded to) if we can't get legit star

Yeah guys on one year deals have a pretty solid history here. Not sure what can go wrong there.

How about guys who can shoot it at least

I would move BI for Jarrett Allen easily, can see Nets maxing Boogie and bringing Dlo back if they miss out on everyone else

Allen Crabbe and Allen for BI?

Need a cheap guy who can leave us cap for next year if we hold out for AD

Richardson, Covington, Allen, Sabonis possibly

3 way deal with Orlando and Phi:
Magic get BI
Phi gets Issac
Lakers get Covington and a future protected 1st from Orl

BI for Jarrett Allen? Are you kidding me? That's almost a Maginka move.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject:

nzahir wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
nzahir wrote:

I feel like Boogie would take a 1 year 20M deal with no 2nd year option just so he can prove he could play.

I like the idea of keeping cap space for AD (depending where he gets traded to) if we can't get legit star

Yeah guys on one year deals have a pretty solid history here. Not sure what can go wrong there.

How about guys who can shoot it at least

I would move BI for Jarrett Allen easily, can see Nets maxing Boogie and bringing Dlo back if they miss out on everyone else

Allen Crabbe and Allen for BI?

Need a cheap guy who can leave us cap for next year if we hold out for AD

Richardson, Covington, Allen, Sabonis possibly

3 way deal with Orlando and Phi:
Magic get BI
Phi gets Issac
Lakers get Covington and a future protected 1st from Orl

This makes Zubac for Muscala trade look pure genius
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Kemba or Vucevic

Just curious, assuming Kyrie, KD, KL, Klay reject us, which of these two guys would you prefer: Kemba for 32 million or Vuc for 25? I know it depends on the draft in some capacity but I'm curious...
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject:

Kemba. Bron's only rings have come with a potent perimeter scorer as his #2. Kemba is no Kyrie or Wade, but he'll make more of a difference than Vuc.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject:

Kemba.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

All signs point to Magic seeing the light though, even to an extreme. In July he arrogantly laughed at the mention of the Lakers needing shooting. At the deadline, he openly admitted that they need more shooters. He was so obsessed with the idea of adding shooting that he dumped Zubac for one. Point is: He never actually said he was wrong, but he wasn't too proud to pivot, even though pivoting was an indirect admission of fault. That was leadership. He could've doubled down on his playmaker edict, but he picked his face off the floor and did a 180 because he knew he was wrong (for, I believe, listening to James' idea to an extreme).

If he can acknowledge needing lots more shooting, I'm confident that it's possible for him to also acknowledge that it's not an absolute requirement to have two max guys on your roster in order to have a good team.

Long-story short: Magic has shown that he can adjust his philosophy. Which, even in the midst of this implosion, is a bit of a ray of light in the middle of all the darkness (in Dave Chapelle's voice).

The problem is magic adjusts his philosophy by the time it's too late. He adjusted to the tampering accusations by the time he had developed a reputation. He acknowldeged the lack of shooting by the time the team had dug themselves a hole for it to have a significant effect.

Magic is too old school to learn from his mistakes without giving himself a shot first. He's not going to learn it's not an absolute requirement around 2 max free agents until he fails at getting them, which in that case the lakers are better off going in another direction.

If it ever gets to where the Lakers have to build the old-fashion way, then you don't have magic at the helm to learn from his mistakes. You replace him with people who don't have to learn them.

The Net's owner didn't try to have billy king learn from his mistakes after making a terrible trade, they fired him and brought in people who wouldn't make them. The Clippers didn't let doc continuing making mistakes as pobo, they demoted him to his better role while promoting someone with more experience and added Jerry West along the way.

The point is you cut losses if magic fails the 2 max plan. You don't give him another chance given what he's shown so far.

So, you would fire Magic for making the correct/prudent move (of using space for multiple players instead of one)? Silly talk.

The time to let Magic go is next summer (2020), after two years of having James on the roster. At that point, the Lakers' future will be much clearer and Magic's overall quality of performance will be clearly elucidated.

It's silly and overly-emotional to suggest that Magic should be fired after a year and half on the job when, regardless of the circumstances, he has acquired LeBron James and created 40 million in capspcace.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If we can somehow convince JJ Reddick to come here on a discount, that would be a good pipe dream, we would finally solve a lot of our shooting issues, but VLF keeps suggesting that he likes the East Coast.

No way he takes a discount. He only comes on an overpay.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject:

I hate hedging with a short/long term plan, but we need to retain some of the YUTES going forward b/c there is no certainty that LBJ can continue being a top 10 level player.

When his deal is up, we cannot just have nothing in the cupboard and then have to restart a 4-5 year rebuilding process. Unless the offers blow our minds, I would try to keep BI/Lonzo for sure. Kuz, who is up for extension in 2021, we can see if a team will trade for him down the road but he's a useful scorer off the bench (in a more proper setting).
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
If we can somehow convince JJ Reddick to come here on a discount, that would be a good pipe dream, we would finally solve a lot of our shooting issues, but VLF keeps suggesting that he likes the East Coast.

He went to Philly "before it was cool". In the beginning he was giving interviews on how he liked the project, that he was excite that they wanted to get a max guy (ended up trading for 2). Also, he got overpayed in these two one year deals to compensate for signing for less when they needed cap space down the road, so I would not be shocked at all to see him renew his deal with the Sixers on a bargain price.

If Phila thinks they can get him for 10 million or so per year, that benefits the Lakers. I'm on the record as saying that I would have no problem paying Reddick 20 million (or more) on a one year deal.

Call me a crazy, but I think Reddick at the ripe old age of 35 would be more beneficial to this team than Jimmy Butler.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject:

Kemba
az82187
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He went to Philly "before it was cool". In the beginning he was giving interviews on how he liked the project, that he was excite that they wanted to get a max guy (ended up trading for 2). Also, he got overpayed in these two one year deals to compensate for signing for less when they needed cap space down the road, so I would not be shocked at all to see him renew his deal with the Sixers on a bargain price.

If he stays in Philly, it would almost have to be at a bargain price. If we offer him something in the neighborhood of 2 years 25 million, which would be the second richest NBA contract he has ever signed in terms of total dollars as well as avg. yearly salary, I think we would have a good chance of getting him.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
nzahir wrote:

You're "throwing the baby out with the bath water".

To eliminate the option of one year contracts because of the Beasleys and McGees and Popes of the world is shortsighted. It's akin to a woman not dating bald men anymore because the last three bald dudes she dated were rude. The lesson is to sign "better" players, players that fit better with regard to team needs (like Phila signing Reddick), not to just completely disregard the strategy.

I understand what you're trying to say, but beggars can't be choosey; you have to be flexible and fluid, ready to stop on a dime and pivot at any point. Inflexibility will lead to irrationality, IMO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject:

az82187 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

If he stays in Philly, it would almost have to be at a bargain price. If we offer him something in the neighborhood of 2 years 25 million, which would be the second richest NBA contract he has ever signed in terms of total dollars as well as avg. yearly salary, I think we would have a good chance of getting him.

Doesn't Philly now have JJ's Early Bird rights? If so, he's staying. They'll probably give him a multi year deal at say 12m/year, 3 years over the cap. I see them letting Jimmy walk.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject:

az82187 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I know he's not restricted, so pardon my jargon here, but the Sixers would DEFINITELY match that price, especially with them trading Shamut.

Reddick is waaaay too important to them to let him walk. If the Lakers want him, they'll have to pay him a contract that pays him nearly twice as much as what Phila is offering.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
az82187 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Doesn't Philly now have JJ's Early Bird rights? If so, he's staying. They'll probably give him a multi year deal at say 12m/year, 3 years over the cap. I see them letting Jimmy walk.

This is EXACTLY what will happen.
az82187
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
az82187 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

What I meant was that he would probably only receive a bargain price deal because they have to keep all four of their max contract guys around and won’t have the funds left to offer him a more lucrative deal.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject:

Acquiring Crabbe is still the easiest and cleanest path to an elite shooter.

Crabbe plays the best defense of all the shooters on my list, acquiring him would probably include the acquisition of a pick as well, and, most importantly, he's expiring in 2020, which gives the Lakers flexibility to sign Davis next summer while simultaneously signaling and pressuring the rest of the league that they should "BEWARE IN TRADING TOO MUCH FOR AD" -- very important detail for me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject:

az82187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
az82187 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

What I meant was that he would probably only receive a bargain price deal because they have to keep all four of their max contract guys around and won’t have the funds left to offer him a more lucrative deal.

I think they will choose Tobias/JJ and not decide to sign Jimmy.

They really cannot afford to have Jimmy with them, plus they have to extend Simmons.

So they will likely do the three max deals (Joel, Ben, Tobias), and then sign JJ to an over the cap deal using his early Bird rights. Jimmy is an expensive luxury for them.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject:

Neither
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
Neither

if it comes down to it, the front office will punt for AD
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
LKA wrote:
Neither

if it comes down to it, the front office will punt for AD

Yikes.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:

Not trying to sabotage this thread, but neither.

Their both too expensive.

Kemba isn't a good enough three-ball shooter for what this team needs -- another 35% shooter isn't good enough for this squad. Also, many people reiterate to me that the Lakers need another "star" so the team won't sink if James gets hurt again. Is Kemba Walker going to keep this team afloat in the event of a James injury? Walker can't keep his own team afloat ... in the East. IF he were a 39% shooter, I'd say yes, but he ain't, so I say no/

Vucevic is a good shooter, and if he were to come cheaper (he won't), I'd be cool with it. I'd also consider it if Vucevic shot the three-ball with more volume. He doesn't. He makes one a game. Dedmon, while not nearly as talented, plays better defense and can replicate Vucevic's floor-spacing for less than half the money.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

Neither. Split it among guys who fill our needs.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
az82187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
az82187 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I think they will choose Tobias/JJ and not decide to sign Jimmy.

They really cannot afford to have Jimmy with them, plus they have to extend Simmons.

So they will likely do the three max deals (Joel, Ben, Tobias), and then sign JJ to an over the cap deal using his early Bird rights. Jimmy is an expensive luxury for them.

Precisely.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject:

A new familiar name that some can't resist... we are doomed in the next election

How's Kembas d?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 986, 987, 988 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 987 of 8560
Jump to: