OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 240, 241, 242 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
Lakers should try and get Tobias Harris.

Would like to see a starting 5 of

Ball
Hart
McGee
Harris
Bron

He will be a free agent this summer, so the opportunity will be there to get him.

Will the Clips let him just walk? We could give a draft pick or something

He’s a FREE agent. Why would we have to give a pick?

Get him now, don't need to wait we need a wing now. BI not making the strides we need him to.

What kind of protection would you have the first round pick?

I would only offer a 2ND rounder

I don't know what the exact job title is for Jerry West, but he is quite high in the Clippers hierarchy. He wanted to come back to the Lakers and he wasn't wanted.

Now you are expecting him to do the Lakers a big favor and tell the Clippers FO to trade Harris for a second round pick and some expiring salary?

They offered him a big contract he said Nope. He is walking in 6 months.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject:

As far as the idea that the Lakers don't have trouble scoring and so Kemba wouldn't help, we have absolutely had trouble closing games, and I'm talking about the offensive end just as much as the defensive end, if not more so, especially since we got Chandler (we're #1 in defensive efficiency since we got him). As Walker is an elite ballhandler who can not only make 3's but get to the foul line at a solid rate while making 85-90% of those foul shots, that's where he'd help. We've lost at least one game so far this season which is directly attributable to missing foul shots late. And I'm not going to lie, it was somewhat alarming to me that LeBron could not blow past a 95-year-old Vince Carter on the second-to-last offensive possession of the game out of the halfcourt. With a head of steam, LeBron is basically unstoppable. In the halfcourt, it becomes a different story. A player like Kemba, with elite quickness and ballhandling skills, would help considerably at the end of games IMO.

I'm all for getting Kemba, but I see problems. Number one, I think it's less than 50/50 that Charlotte even trades him. Number two, I am not sure if I would even trade Ingram plus filler for him, with the thought that maybe you save all our young assets for a potentially bigger trade later on. (If AD became available next summer, having all of your young assets increases the chances that you can land him.) Number three, I know I would not trade Lonzo straight up for him, believing that he brings too much value with 3 years of team control left. Number four, I know I wouldn't trade both Lonzo and Ingram for him.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

Get him now, don't need to wait we need a wing now. BI not making the strides we need him to.

I don't know what the exact job title is for Jerry West, but he is quite high in the Clippers hierarchy. He wanted to come back to the Lakers and he wasn't wanted.

Now you are expecting him to do the Lakers a big favor and tell the Clippers FO to trade Harris for a second round pick and some expiring salary?

The Lakers 2019 second isn't available for trade and a 2020 second could be in the 50's. A fair amount of time, late second round picks are available for a few million.

The owner of the Clipper is Ballmer with a net worth in the area of $40 billion. Do you seriously believe that Jerry West and the Clippers are going to ask "How High" when Magic & Pelinka tell them to jump and trade Harris for a second round pick that could be worth just a few million?
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

The Lakers 2019 second isn't available for trade and a 2020 second could be in the 50's. A fair amount of time, late second round picks are available for a few million.

The owner of the Clipper is Ballmer with a net worth in the area of $40 billion. Do you seriously believe that Jerry West and the Clippers are going to ask "How High" when Magic & Pelinka tell them to jump and trade Harris for a second round pick that could be worth just a few million?

Could offer Beasley or MO. I'm sure something could be worked. Better then ball plus bi for kemba
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
As far as the idea that the Lakers don't have trouble scoring and so Kemba wouldn't help, we have absolutely had trouble closing games, and I'm talking about the offensive end just as much as the defensive end, if not more so, especially since we got Chandler (we're #1 in defensive efficiency since we got him). As Walker is an elite ballhandler who can not only make 3's but get to the foul line at a solid rate while making 85-90% of those foul shots, that's where he'd help. We've lost at least one game so far this season which is directly attributable to missing foul shots late. And I'm not going to lie, it was somewhat alarming to me that LeBron could not blow past a 95-year-old Vince Carter on the second-to-last offensive possession of the game out of the halfcourt. With a head of steam, LeBron is basically unstoppable. In the halfcourt, it becomes a different story. A player like Kemba, with elite quickness and ballhandling skills, would help considerably at the end of games IMO.

I'm all for getting Kemba, but I see problems. Number one, I think it's less than 50/50 that Charlotte even trades him. Number two, I am not sure if I would even trade Ingram plus filler for him, with the thought that maybe you save all our young assets for a potentially bigger trade later on. (If AD became available next summer, having all of your young assets increases the chances that you can land him.) Number three, I know I would not trade Lonzo straight up for him, believing that he brings too much value with 3 years of team control left. Number four, I know I wouldn't trade both Lonzo and Ingram for him.

Acquiring Kemba will definitely increase our winning percentage this year because we just don’t have a reliable scoring option other than LBJ and even him has already shown signs of aging. However, if we get another all star player like KD then Kemba becomes less important and the value of defensive players such as Ball and Ingram increases.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Ok I still don't understand this fully. The math from the OP is below. Is it necessary to add the first round pick and the two min salaries to our cap space? From what I understood, you can still sign your first round pick and minimum salary players once you are over the cap. Because if we can wait to use our entire cap before officially signing our first round pick or the other minimum players, we can still have an additional 8.5 million which will come in handy to sign another decent player.

$37,430,000......LeBron James (1)
$32,700,000......Max star (Kawhi, Klay, Jimmy, Kemba) (2)
$8,719,320........Lonzo Ball (3)
$7,265,485........Brandon Ingram (4)
$2,164,680........Moritz Wagner (5)
$1,974,600........Kyle Kuzma (6)
$1,934,160........Josh Hart (7)
$1,885,329........#25 2019 1st Round Pick (8)
$1,550,000........Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (9)*
$1,416,852........Isaac Bonga (10)*
$897,158...........Min Salary (11)
$897,158...........Min Salary (12)

$4,992,994........Luol Deng (1 year $14,977,482 Stretched over 3 Years)

$109,000,000 (Cap) - $103,827,736 (Salaries) =$5,172,264 cap space left**
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

Could offer Beasley or MO. I'm sure something could be worked. Better then ball plus bi for kemba

Minnesota was reluctant to trade Butler to Houston because that would given Houston a better chance to make the playoffs and possibly bump Minnesota from the playoffs.

Why would the Clippers trade Harris to the Lakers and increase the chances that the Lakers make the playoffs and possibly bump the Clippers from the playoffs?

If the offer was a 2019 top 12 protected first, then maybe the Clippers would listen. A 2020 second that could be in the 50's isn't going to get a trade for Harris done.

* Doc is now just a coach and isn't in charge of basketball operations like he used to be

* SVG has been replaced

* Brian Colangelo was replaced

* Billy King probably isn't going to be a senior FO executive again

I understand the desire to get a good deal, but you need to accept that some of the FO people known for making poor decisions are either out of the league or have been stripped of decision making power.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:
Ok I still don't understand this fully. The math from the OP is below. Is it necessary to add the first round pick and the two min salaries to our cap space? From what I understood, you can still sign your first round pick and minimum salary players once you are over the cap. Because if we can wait to use our entire cap before officially signing our first round pick or the other minimum players, we can still have an additional 8.5 million which will come in handy to sign another decent player.

$37,430,000......LeBron James (1)
$32,700,000......Max star (Kawhi, Klay, Jimmy, Kemba) (2)
$8,719,320........Lonzo Ball (3)
$7,265,485........Brandon Ingram (4)
$2,164,680........Moritz Wagner (5)
$1,974,600........Kyle Kuzma (6)
$1,934,160........Josh Hart (7)
$1,885,329........#25 2019 1st Round Pick (8)
$1,550,000........Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (9)*
$1,416,852........Isaac Bonga (10)*
$897,158...........Min Salary (11)
$897,158...........Min Salary (12)

$4,992,994........Luol Deng (1 year $14,977,482 Stretched over 3 Years)

$109,000,000 (Cap) - $103,827,736 (Salaries) =$5,172,264 cap space left**

13. Exactly what is included when computing total team salaries? What is cap room? What is a cap hold?

Quote:

A team's cap room (referred to simply as "room" in the CBA) refers to its ability to sign players to free agent contracts. If a team is above the cap, then its room is limited to the exceptions it possesses. If the team is below the cap, then its room is how far it is below the cap when all salaries and cap holds are included. Cap holds are "placeholders" for players the team is expected to sign in the future. For example, a team is expected to sign its unsigned first round draft pick, so an amount is reserved for this signing in the form of a cap hold. A team $10 million below the cap with $4 million in cap holds therefore has $6 million in room. A team $5 million under the cap with $6 million in cap holds is not considered to be under the cap at all, and must use exceptions to sign players. The following are included in team salary:

* Salaries of all active and inactive players1, including likely bonuses.

* The full season salary of any players the team acquires in midseason trades.

* Salaries paid or payable to waived players, minus any set-off amounts2 and subject to the Stretch provision (see question number 65).

* Any salary still being paid to retired players (see question number 61).

* A cap hold for amounts paid or expected to be paid in conjunction with certain grievances.

* A cap hold for salaries in contracts that have been agreed to but not yet executed (i.e., verbal agreements or agreements pending physicals)3.

* A cap hold for a percentage of the previous salary of every unrenounced free agent (see question number 37).

* A cap hold for salaries offered in offer sheets to restricted free agents (see question number 42).

* A cap hold for 120% of the "scale" amount for the team's unsigned first round draft pick(s) (see question number 50). This amount begins to apply to team salary immediately upon selection in the draft4. This amount can be excluded from the team salary for the current season if, before the season starts, the team and player agree in writing that the team will not sign the player during that season.

A cap hold called an "incomplete roster charge" if the team has fewer than 12 players (players under contract, free agents included in team salary, players given offer sheets, and first round draft picks). This charge is equal to the rookie minimum salary for each player fewer than 12. For example, if there are 11 players included in team salary, then an amount equal to the rookie minimum salary is added to the team salary5; if the roster is completely empty, then 12 times the rookie minimum salary is added to the team salary. This charge only applies during the offseason.

* A cap hold for the combined amount of any Mid-Level, Bi-Annual, Disabled Player (see question number 25) and trade exceptions (see question number 87) available to the team (see question number 26), if the team is under the salary cap. (Teams may renounce these exceptions, in which case they no longer are included in team salary.)

* Salaries for completed contracts (such as 10-day contracts) are included in team salaries for the remainder of that salary cap year (through June 30).
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

The Lakers seem to be in a good position.
Defensively with the addition of Chandler it is good.

The only possible hole would be a scoring closer.
And it doesn't have to be a superstar, but just a dependable shooter.

Perhaps one player will grow into that role besides Lebron.
Hopefully this season.

Nobody is going to want to help the Lakers in trades
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
And some here are only thinking about perfect scenario in Kemba trade this season. What if we get no max FA next summer? You are left with almost 35 year old Lebron next season and Kemba going no where with no young lottery talent left. Make first round or 2nd for couple of years then tank for many years for lottery talent again like 2013-17? No thanks. We just dodged terrible Nash trade which could have had catastrophic effects like Nets suffered. Giving up on two #2 picks for Kemba is no different if we can't land a young max player.

I'd rather have BI, Lonzo, Kuzma as 3rd, 4th and 5th option than mighty Kemba as 3rd option risking so much.

Well, since you’re “what if’ing”: I’d say the odds are infinitely greater that the Lakers sign Durant outright than they are that the Lakers trade Ball and Ingram, two players who’ll make 16 mill, for Lillard or Davis, two players who’ll make around 30 mill.

You, sir, have no real answers.

Maybe. But trading both Ingram and Ball for Kemba is the least likely of the three scenarios imo. IF if we show show interest, I see us offering one maximum.

Yeah, as I said before, even if Charlotte makes Kemba available, we wouldn't have to give up both Lonzo and BI to make it happen. Lonzo by himself feels like an overpay, and even if BI by himself didn't get it done (remember that Lonzo has 1 more year of team control than BI does), we could include another piece like Wagner or Bonga or a future pick. There's no way that Kemba has the value to fetch both Lonzo and BI.

Yeah. It would likely be BI/KCP (new start)/fillers if Charlotte wanted to trade Kemba to the Lakers. I don't see why Charlotte would want Lonzo, and BI can be sold as a NC product (born/raised there, went to Duke).

I probably wouldn't do it this year, but if BI has issues meshing, might be something that the FO may consider only b/c it still keeps the 7-9 year max FA window somewhat open.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Let me get this straight Joe, we didn't trade Ingram + picks for KL or even Paul George but we r going to trade bi + so + picks in hopes of signing KD & resigning kemba?

Just FYI: kemba loves Charlotte and was almost in tears last trade deadline.

Also remember the fact that all star weekend is in Charlotte this year

Remember Lakers were co-host to the All Star game and we had no all star on the team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject:

Not that I'm advocating trading BI for Kemba, but if it did go down for whatever reason, here's what I'd do.

1. BI/KCP (or if KCP says no Rondo) for Kemba.

2. get Ariza on the buyout market.

Kemba
Lonzo
Ariza
LBJ
Javale

Bench:

Kuz
Hart
Lance
Rondo/KCP
Tyson

That's a pretty solid lineup that preserves cap for 2019 FA chasing. KD would be tough to get absent trading Lonzo for cap space. But a KL level signing would possible if we made a few moves.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Good post sir.

I know the idea of trading both Ingram and Ball for an expiring little man like Kemba Walker is a tough pill to swallow. I know that in four years, collectively, Ball and Ingram could very well be better than Walker is now. I know.

I just have serious reservations as to Ingram’s fit. Ball will make it work; I’m confident in Ball’s ability to eventually become a high-level role player, but Ingram could really become marginalized playing with James now and a second star next season. His reluctance to shoot more catch and shoot, long jumpers and his inability to accept a role that goes counter to the notion that he’s “the next T-Mac” doesn’t bode well, IMO. One could argue that he presses so much right now because he’s already feeling that marginalization.

The more and more Ingram becomes an afterthought in the offense, the more of a liability he’ll become when he won’t shoot more from deep.

Walker would be marginalized too, probably relegated to averaging 17 points a game on a team with James and Durant, but at least, even in his marginalization, his game would still compliment two stars. It’s hard to say that about Ingram ... and Ball is years away from being a great role-player, which is where he’ll eventually max out — as a role player. It is what it is.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
And some here are only thinking about perfect scenario in Kemba trade this season. What if we get no max FA next summer? You are left with almost 35 year old Lebron next season and Kemba going no where with no young lottery talent left. Make first round or 2nd for couple of years then tank for many years for lottery talent again like 2013-17? No thanks. We just dodged terrible Nash trade which could have had catastrophic effects like Nets suffered. Giving up on two #2 picks for Kemba is no different if we can't land a young max player.

I'd rather have BI, Lonzo, Kuzma as 3rd, 4th and 5th option than mighty Kemba as 3rd option risking so much.

Well, since you’re “what if’ing”: I’d say the odds are infinitely greater that the Lakers sign Durant outright than they are that the Lakers trade Ball and Ingram, two players who’ll make 16 mill, for Lillard or Davis, two players who’ll make around 30 mill.

You, sir, have no real answers.

Maybe. But trading both Ingram and Ball for Kemba is the least likely of the three scenarios imo. IF if we show show interest, I see us offering one maximum.

Yeah, as I said before, even if Charlotte makes Kemba available, we wouldn't have to give up both Lonzo and BI to make it happen. Lonzo by himself feels like an overpay, and even if BI by himself didn't get it done (remember that Lonzo has 1 more year of team control than BI does), we could include another piece like Wagner or Bonga or a future pick. There's no way that Kemba has the value to fetch both Lonzo and BI.

Yeah. It would likely be BI/KCP (new start)/fillers if Charlotte wanted to trade Kemba to the Lakers. I don't see why Charlotte would want Lonzo, and BI can be sold as a NC product (born/raised there, went to Duke).

I probably wouldn't do it this year, but if BI has issues meshing, might be something that the FO may consider only b/c it still keeps the 7-9 year max FA window somewhat open.

We all know Kupchak doesn’t bend over in trades. If you want to deal with Kupchak, you must make the deal as sweet as pie ... or move on.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject:

The Lakers carving out 38m in cap space isn't coincidental.

I think they likely stay put, try to make lateral trades with Lance/Beez/KCP to get expiring players. Maybe pursue someone like Ariza as a buyout.

They'll shoot for the max FA, and depending on whether we get one or not, then assess if we move some pieces to get a 3rd star or keep the young pieces around the 2 stars.

I highly doubt this FO sends out BOTH Lonzo/BI for Kemba.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject:

I agree that Ball/Ingram for Walker looks bad. I concede that point. It looks bad for Magic because he drafted Ball and sung Ingram’s praises, and it looks bad for the Lakers’ future, trading away two talented guys barely old enough to drink.

I get it ...

... But I’d still do it. Call it a hunch.

My guess is that they’ll get far less in return if they wait until the offseason, after signing another max, to attempt to trade Ball and Ingram and Wagner.

I think Ball and Ingram’s value may very well be less this summer and the trade market could yield a player far less impactful then Kemba Walker.

For the record, I don’t think Magic & Co. would make this trade either — just that they should.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

Lonzo + flier for Kemba. Then BI + KCP for beal. Then try to get Ariza after buy out.

Kemba
Beal
Lebron
Kuz
McGee with Chandler closing the games

Pretty damn good team. This of course closes the window for KD or KL, but that's assuming there was a window in the first place.

Or you can get Kemba, then keep the window for KD/KL still open for this summer. Both are good option.

Last edited by Flight#24 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

Kemba's cap old of 18 million is very enticing. You could trade for him and still sign a max guy if Ingram and Ball are both moved (not saying I'd trade 2 for 1, it's just feasible if both their deals are moved).
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

Now, if we hit the lottery and sign KD, can we then trade for Kemba next yr with a matching salary going out? even if it puts us over cap?
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:

If they aren't difference makers, what's your point? Ingram will soon get expensive.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

Lebron the competitor: “I almost was at my breaking point”

Lebron big picture: “I had to remind myself of the long-term plan.”

He knows Max FA is coming. We just don’t know the name yet. It will be interesting to see if a trade or two is made, might give a clue as to who is joining LeGM’s team.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Now, if we hit the lottery and sign KD, can we then trade for Kemba next yr with a matching salary going out? even if it puts us over cap?

It’d be damn near impossible for the Lakers to match his new salary.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
Kemba's cap old of 18 million is very enticing. You could trade for him and still sign a max guy if Ingram and Ball are both moved (not saying I'd trade 2 for 1, it's just feasible if both their deals are moved).

And this, my friend, is why Walker is a zillion times more valuable to the Lakers than are Beal and Lillard. You get it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

And this, my friend, is why Walker is a zillion times more valuable to the Lakers than are Beal and Lillard. You get it.

Yeah. I think I brought up Kemba's 18m cap hold a few weeks ago too. But I still think it's not 100% coincidental they cleared 38m in cap space (as opposed to 32m which is what KL/Klay can get).
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

Flight#24 wrote:
Lonzo + flier for Kemba. Then BI + KCP for beal. Then try to get Ariza after buy out.

Kemba
Beal
Lebron
Kuz
McGee with Chandler closing the games

Pretty damn good team. This of course closes the window for KD or KL, but that's assuming there was a window in the first place.

Or you can get Kemba, then keep the window for KD/KL still open for this summer. Both are good option.

Kupchak has ZERO motivation to trade Walker, who’s developing a cult-like following in Charlotte, for Lonzo Ball. Zero chance of Kupchak agreeing to your trade.

Matter of fact, they may not even bite on Ball and Ingram. The Lakers only hope is that Charlotte buys into the idea of Ingram being from Carolina and Walker costing them too much money in free agency.

If Charlotte doesn’t care about Ingram’s roots and they don’t care about paying him max money, they could very well pass on a Ball + Ingram offer.

Ball alone, though, has no chance sir.

Last edited by Joe Pesci on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 240, 241, 242 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 241 of 8560
Jump to: