OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3642, 3643, 3644 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:
I have my doubts about anything coming from it because Adam Silver is a little (bleep), but I'm hoping that all of this post-owners meetings free agency fallout brings the roof crashing down on the heads of the Flippers.

All of this news about Dennis demanding ridiculous things from teams and then the Flippers being the ones left standing with the richest owner in the NBA will hopefully lead somewhere.

Perfect scenario: contract voided, Flippers fined, and Dennis barred from acting as agency for Kawhi. That...may be the best day of the NBA season before the season even starts

What demands are you talking about?

It's a SAS quote, but Dennis and his nonsense was supposedly discussed at the owners' meeting earlier this month. Here's the quote:

Quote:
“This is me putting on my reporter’s hat here. People in NBA circles are talking about this right now. Allegedly, the uncle, Uncle Dennis, was asking for a lot of stuff from the other teams. Houses, planes, sponsorship, guaranteed sponsorship money, just as an example. They’re throwing this stuff out there. All of those things are supposedly illegal in the collective bargaining agreement.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/kawhi-leonards-alleged-free-agency-requests-may-have-violated-cba-161536507.html

Interesting. Voiding the contract seems very unlikely to me, but I do think the NBA is actively thinking about changing its off season schedule and rules. I wonder if the NBA will even investigate ...

I don’t want the contract voided either. However, Clippers should be fined 3x what they’re paying under the table and they should jump automatically to the highest luxury tax rate.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rubin wrote:
DLO at the max would’ve been a solid #3, but probably more importantly would’ve been a good trade chip for when the next disgruntled star (Beal?) hits the trade market. The Warriors had the right idea in that regard.

Would have given us at worst, a building block with AD post LBJ.

But it also locks you in ... makes it harder/impossible to sign another big FA in 2021 and, if DAR's value regresses and he's hard to move, makes it more difficult to build around AD. Do you want to go all in on DAR?

Why would he regress? He's 23 and likely going to improve. The Warriors are banking on him as either a cornerstone or tradeable asset.

He's already a defensive liability, what if his shooting goes back to league average or less? Then he's a negative asset. I'm not saying he's a bad player and I do like him, I'm just saying that going all in on him at that price tag is somewhat a desperation play.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rubin wrote:
DLO at the max would’ve been a solid #3, but probably more importantly would’ve been a good trade chip for when the next disgruntled star (Beal?) hits the trade market. The Warriors had the right idea in that regard.

But it also locks you in ... makes it harder/impossible to sign another big FA in 2021 and, if DAR's value regresses and he's hard to move, makes it more difficult to build around AD. Do you want to go all in on DAR?

Why would he regress? He's 23 and likely going to improve. The Warriors are banking on him as either a cornerstone or tradeable asset.

He's already a defensive liability, what if his shooting goes back to league average or less? Then he's a negative asset. I'm not saying he's a bad player and I do like him, I'm just saying that going all in on him at that price tag is somewhat a desperation play.

He was above league average last season? Dude was subpar last season lmao
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rubin wrote:

You're not getting him for his defense. There are plenty of guards in the NBA who are not plusses on offense. He's 23 years old. To say that he's peaked or a candidate for regression is simply ignoring improvement trends for players on his trajectory. The fact that the Warriors, the team and organization that has been revered for finding hidden gems in Steph/Klay/Dray, went in on DLO (either as a future cornerstone or moveable asset) should count for something.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rubin wrote:

You're not getting him for his defense. There are plenty of guards in the NBA who are not plusses on offense. He's 23 years old. To say that he's peaked or a candidate for regression is simply ignoring improvement trends for players on his trajectory. The fact that the Warriors, the team and organization that has been revered for finding hidden gems in Steph/Klay/Dray, went in on DLO (either as a future cornerstone or moveable asset) should count for something.

I'm not arguing that DLO sucks. I'm saying he's not FOR SURE a max player right now and may not be in the future. But, he's being paid the max now, so for year 2-4 of that contract, if he has even a repeat season (of last year) and doesn't improve, he may be seen as a negative asset that restricts what you can do in the future.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rubin wrote:

I'm not arguing that DLO sucks. I'm saying he's not FOR SURE a max player right now and may not be in the future. But, he's being paid the max now, so for year 2-4 of that contract, if he has even a repeat season (of last year) and doesn't improve, he may be seen as a negative asset that restricts what you can do in the future.

But 2021 FA requires LBJ opting out of a 40m+ deal. So why are we assuming we are players for 2021 FA right now? You need to make moves that help you win now and worry about 2021 when it comes. You can plan for it but if the Warriors were ok giving DLO a max deal, who are we to dispute the wisdom of that move? Plus, since it's a tier 1 "max," it'll be a bargain in successive summer FA.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rubin wrote:

Again agreed. People think GS made a great trade for DLO....If he turns out not to be a max player good luck trading that contract.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Again agreed. People think GS made a great trade for DLO....If he turns out not to be a max player good luck trading that contract.

But the cap will continue to rise and his deal will get smaller and smaller as a % of the cap while he hits his pre-prime years. He's not even in his prime yet and folks think he may not improve? I just don't understand that.

Warriors made a pretty savvy move to get a good young player in return for KD that can be a long-term player for them or a trade asset. And he will also help them stay afloat while Klay recovers.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

l4kerz wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:
I have my doubts about anything coming from it because Adam Silver is a little (bleep), but I'm hoping that all of this post-owners meetings free agency fallout brings the roof crashing down on the heads of the Flippers.

All of this news about Dennis demanding ridiculous things from teams and then the Flippers being the ones left standing with the richest owner in the NBA will hopefully lead somewhere.

Perfect scenario: contract voided, Flippers fined, and Dennis barred from acting as agency for Kawhi. That...may be the best day of the NBA season before the season even starts

It's a SAS quote, but Dennis and his nonsense was supposedly discussed at the owners' meeting earlier this month. Here's the quote:

Quote:
“This is me putting on my reporter’s hat here. People in NBA circles are talking about this right now. Allegedly, the uncle, Uncle Dennis, was asking for a lot of stuff from the other teams. Houses, planes, sponsorship, guaranteed sponsorship money, just as an example. They’re throwing this stuff out there. All of those things are supposedly illegal in the collective bargaining agreement.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/kawhi-leonards-alleged-free-agency-requests-may-have-violated-cba-161536507.html

Interesting. Voiding the contract seems very unlikely to me, but I do think the NBA is actively thinking about changing its off season schedule and rules. I wonder if the NBA will even investigate ...

I don’t want the contract voided either. However, Clippers should be fined 3x what they’re paying under the table and they should jump automatically to the highest luxury tax rate.

The problem with that is Ballmer would just laugh at it and pull some change out of his pocket. There's no punishment for that. Tampering to the max and losing Kawhi would teach them a lesson. Punishment with no true deterrent is no punishment at all.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

But the cap will continue to rise and his deal will get smaller and smaller as a % of the cap while he hits his pre-prime years. He's not even in his prime yet and folks think he may not improve? I just don't understand that.

Warriors made a pretty savvy move to get a good young player in return for KD that can be a long-term player for them or a trade asset. And he will also help them stay afloat while Klay recovers.

When you say he's going to improve - how do you mean? He's shown no commitment to defense, so I doubt you think he'll commit on that end. Are you saying he'll score more? Last year he scored 21.1 ppg on .512 eFG%. Do you think he's a 30 ppg player? I sure as hell don't. Do you think he could get to 25? I'm dubious, but maybe ... and IF he does, can he do so at higher efficiency? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe at higher volume his 3PT% goes back to the 34-35% he shot in years 1-3 instead of the ~37% he shot last year. It's possible his %s increase as he shoots more, but I'm doubtful.

Either way, not saying you're wrong to be optimistic. I disagree, but you're not taking an unreasonable position. I just think I wouldn't commit that much of my payroll to a player I don't KNOW FOR SURE will be worth the money. Because, the downside is significant if he falls short.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

When you say he's going to improve - how do you mean? He's shown no commitment to defense, so I doubt you think he'll commit on that end. Are you saying he'll score more? Last year he scored 21.1 ppg on .512 eFG%. Do you think he's a 30 ppg player? I sure as hell don't. Do you think he could get to 25? I'm dubious, but maybe ... and IF he does, can he do so at higher efficiency? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe at higher volume his 3PT% goes back to the 34-35% he shot in years 1-3 instead of the ~37% he shot last year. It's possible his %s increase as he shoots more, but I'm doubtful.

Either way, not saying you're wrong to be optimistic. I disagree, but you're not taking an unreasonable position. I just think I wouldn't commit that much of my payroll to a player I don't KNOW FOR SURE will be worth the money. Because, the downside is significant if he falls short.

I do think he will be more efficient and up his scoring this year with Steph drawing so much gravity. Who was doing that on the Nets? Watch the playoffs and when he was hot the 76ers absolutely zero'd in on him and that was that. And once Klay returns, I see them going with a 3 guard (with Klay playing "SF") and he has all the room to operate.

His contract, again, will reduce each year in terms of % of cap space. Look at someone like Draymond and his deal looks like a bargain b/c his deal was signed years ago under a smaller cap. IIRC the cap by 2021 is going up by something like 12-15% of what it is now.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Lakers saving roster spot for iggy per bleacher report
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:

Perfect scenario: contract voided, Flippers fined, and Dennis barred from acting as agency for Kawhi. That...may be the best day of the NBA season before the season even starts :)

Quote:

Strip them of all the first round picks they didn't trade, hit them with a nice fine, and then treat them like they treat the Lakers from here on out with tampering fines for anything even remotely close to a CBA violation. For sure the Clippers gave into some of those demands and it shouldn't be hard for the league to figure that out.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rubin wrote:

But 2021 FA requires LBJ opting out of a 40m+ deal. So why are we assuming we are players for 2021 FA right now? You need to make moves that help you win now and worry about 2021 when it comes. You can plan for it but if the Warriors were ok giving DLO a max deal, who are we to dispute the wisdom of that move? Plus, since it's a tier 1 "max," it'll be a bargain in successive summer FA.

So because the Warriors made this move, we can't dispute whether it was sound? That makes absolutely zero sense. DAR was found money for GSW ... they knew IF Durant bounced to Brooklyn, they could try to swing this deal. It was a target of opportunity, not the Warriors evaluating all options on the market and choosing DAR. There is a huge difference. And, there's already talk of the Warriors trading DAR in the first year of his contract. Again, DAR is a nice player and it's possible he improves and becomes a trade asset. I wouldn't bet my franchise on it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
So because the Warriors made this move, we can't dispute whether it was sound? That makes absolutely zero sense. DAR was found money for GSW ... they knew IF Durant bounced to Brooklyn, they could try to swing this deal. It was a target of opportunity, not the Warriors evaluating all options on the market and choosing DAR. There is a huge difference. And, there's already talk of the Warriors trading DAR in the first year of his contract. Again, DAR is a nice player and it's possible he improves and becomes a trade asset. I wouldn't bet my franchise on it.

Of course we can dispute it. But they were also the ones who drafted Steph/Klay/Dray so they have some talent evaluation, no?

And again, he is likely to be a foundational piece, a rental and trade piece as the cap rises.

Or, they could have had nothing for KD bolting. Not sure why it's really that much in dispute.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Of course we can dispute it. But they were also the ones who drafted Steph/Klay/Dray so they have some talent evaluation, no?

And again, he is likely to be a foundational piece, a rental and trade piece as the cap rises.

Or, they could have had nothing for KD bolting. Not sure why it's really that much in dispute.

I'm confused about what you're arguing here. Was this a good move for GSW? Probably. If that's your point (which it sounds like it is), then there's no dispute.

Are you saying we should be pissed that the Lakers missed out on the opportunity to sign DAR to a max deal because they took a shot on Kawhi (what I thought we were discussing)? If so, I disagree.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I'm confused about what you're arguing here. Was this a good move for GSW? Probably. If that's your point (which it sounds like it is), then there's no dispute.

Are you saying we should be pissed that the Lakers missed out on the opportunity to sign DAR to a max deal because they took a shot on Kawhi (what I thought we were discussing)? If so, I disagree.

Nope. I've repeatedly said it was worth it to go for KL and the Lakers had to do it.

I'm talking about what targets I would have gone for and it would have been DLO if we chose not to go after KL.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
Lakers saving roster spot for iggy per bleacher report

i mean... they're quoting McMenamin from a "The Jump" appearance or something earlier this week... and even then... everybody's kind of known since Memphis traded for him that the Lakers are hoping for a buyout...

in other words... Duh?
2022 - New Orleans
2023 - Own or New Orleans' Pick
2024 - Own (Likely)
2025 - New Orleans
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Los Angels Clippers forward Montrezl Harrell is returning to agent Rich Paul from @KlutchSports. Harrell, who will be an unrestricted free agent next summer, had his best season last year, finishing third behind teammate Lou Williams in Sixth Man of the Year award voting.

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/1153777520380190722?s=21
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rubin wrote:

But we got Cook, Rondo, Caruso, and Daniels for their defensive abilities?
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

july and august have to be the most boring months in sports (after free agency dies down, of course)
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:

It's a SAS quote, but Dennis and his nonsense was supposedly discussed in at the owners' meeting earlier this month. Here's the quote:

Quote:

Quote:
• One item discussed openly and explicitly: frustration that family members of players were almost acting as agents and asking for benefits outside the scope of the collective bargaining agreement. Vague reports in the local Toronto media that Leonard's uncle and adviser, Dennis Robertson, asked for such benefits clearly sparked the discussion, but it was pointed out that he would not have been the first family member to do so -- and would not be the last.

Silver appeared to reference this in his remarks to the media after the meeting when he mentioned that "frankly, things are being discussed that don't fall squarely within the collective bargaining agreement."

Some suggested that any family member acting as a player's de facto representative should have to pass through the union's certification process for player agents, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27243621/inside-tense-nba-owners-meeting-change-free-agency
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rubin wrote:

But we got Cook, Rondo, Caruso, and Daniels for their defensive abilities?

All of their salaries combined barely eclipse the $10M mark. D'Angelo @ $27M is a bit too high, depending on how you value what he brings to the table.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
july and august have to be the most boring months in sports (after free agency dies down, of course)

Not unless you’re a Dodgers fan
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject:

74 days until we see the Lakers on court again
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3642, 3643, 3644 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3643 of 8560
Jump to: