OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3681, 3682, 3683 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

One factor that I haven't seen mentioned a whole lot here is that this roster isn't necessarily good enough to win a championship as constructed.

A lot of people are very worried about chemistry and I do understand the concern. However, what, exactly, is Dwight coming in here to mess up? This isn't a team that is overwhelming, odds-on-favorite to win the championship. We might actually NEED to take a couple gambles and have one of them pay off to win in the first place.

We're thin and we're not *THAT* good. There is no third banana on the team.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
One factor that I haven't seen mentioned a whole lot here is that this roster isn't necessarily good enough to win a championship as constructed.

A lot of people are very worried about chemistry and I do understand the concern. However, what, exactly, is Dwight coming in here to mess up? This isn't a team that is overwhelming, odds-on-favorite to win the championship. We might actually NEED to take a couple gambles and have one of them pay off to win in the first place.

almost everyone has us penciled in as a team who is gonna contend, not sure if you think highly of Cousins but this team has pure shooters and 2 superstars if Kuzma can step up and become the 3rd star all bets are off.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject:

I wish we kept Ingram.

PG.Bradley
SG.Green
SF.Ingram
PF.LeBron
C.Davis

omg.

As long as Kuz is here we will never be able to take advantage of that small line up because of his defense. Plus ingram adds more playing making next to Bron.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

L4L wrote:

Not a lot of third bananas around the league either. Hadn't you heard the Era of Big 3s are out, it's all about the Dynamic Duos now?
2022 - New Orleans
2023 - Own or New Orleans' Pick
2024 - Own (Likely)
2025 - New Orleans
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

scout0_0 wrote:
I wish we kept Ingram.

PG.Bradley
SG.Green
SF.Ingram
PF.LeBron
C.Davis

omg.

As long as Kuz is here we will never be able to take advantage of that small line up because of his defense. Plus ingram adds more playing making next to Bron.

BI is not a true play maker. He is a mid-range iso player who doesnt fit well with Lebron+AD.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

scout0_0 wrote:
I wish we kept Ingram.

PG.Bradley
SG.Green
SF.Ingram
PF.LeBron
C.Davis

omg.

How would we have gotten AD without giving up BI?
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

L4L wrote:

Of teams with legit two superstars, who is the best third banana in your mind?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
scout0_0 wrote:
I wish we kept Ingram.

PG.Bradley
SG.Green
SF.Ingram
PF.LeBron
C.Davis

omg.

How would we have gotten AD without giving up BI?

The only way we could have gotten AD without giving up Ingram is if we waited for next summer to sign AD as a FA which would have been a huge risk.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

L4L wrote:

I would argue that what he can really chip in (12-14mpg) is outweighed by his track history of derailing teams.

We have a nice ecosystem now. I don't want that derailed.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Referring to the "third banana" concern:

Bucks: Bledsoe?
Sixers: Tobias Harris... or Horford
Rockets: Capela? Eric Gordon?
Clippers: Harrell? Lou Williams?
Nuggets: Harris or Barton or Milsap i guess
Blazers: Nurcic?
Jazz: Conley? maybe Gobert on Offense?
Lakers: Green or Kuzma
Warriors: ironically, they probably have the "best" 3rd banana if Klay is healthy or Dray is locked in or D'lo blends in well

Bananas are overrated. Give me a good team effort and a smart coaching staff with two top superstars. Let the chips fall where they may.
2022 - New Orleans
2024 - Own (Likely)
2025 - New Orleans
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:

Warriors: ironically, they probably have the "best" 3rd banana if Klay is healthy or Dray is locked in or D'lo blends in well

Bananas are overrated. Give me a good team effort and a smart coaching staff with two top superstars. Let the chips fall where they may.

That was my point. Kuzma doesn't look so bad stacked up against other contenders third bananas. The best third banana is probably on Philly (Horford over Harris?) or GSW as you pointed out. If Kuzma gets his efficiency up and becomes a neutral defender, he'll be one of the best third bananas in the league.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
scout0_0 wrote:
I wish we kept Ingram.

PG.Bradley
SG.Green
SF.Ingram
PF.LeBron
C.Davis

omg.

BI is not a true play maker. He is a mid-range iso player who doesnt fit well with Lebron+AD.

this^^^, for a guy who dominates the ball 15+ seconds on most possessions he's bound to have some nice assist numbers, but that does not mean he's a good play maker.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:

I like your sig. I know we gave up a lot but it's more helpful to see the picks owed clearly like that. Makes it seem a bit less scary.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I like your sig. I know we gave up a lot but it's more helpful to see the picks owed clearly like that. Makes it seem a bit less scary.

I made it explicitly for that purpose! I feel we get a bad rap for letting New Orleans dictate our draft future, but it's really not THAT bad.

It sucks for future pick trading, like we can't give away 2023 plus KCP for... WHOEVER... at a trade deadline or something... but the actual draft capital given away is NOT AS DIRE as the hot take media would love for people to believe.
2022 - New Orleans
2024 - Own (Likely)
2025 - New Orleans
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Interesting that people are so willing to bank on the "ifs" surrounding Kuzma. And, yes, Lou Williams, Eric Gordon, D'Angelo Russell, Eric Bledsoe, and Al Horford are ALL significantly better pieces than Kyle Kuzma especially if we're not BANKING on his projected improvement. There is no guarantee he'll actually substantially improve.

Nevertheless, the whole "third banana" thing wasn't my point at all. The point is that this team is hardly a lock. When your scenario to win the championship relies on Kyle Kuzma, a second round draft pick, taking a massive leap in year three, that's hardly a situation to "bank on". It certainly isn't an "all bets are off" type of scenario.

The point was that certain things need to land just right for this team to win. We aren't a dominating favorite. Having a few more arrows in the quiver could turn out to be very important when we're already relying on luck and things shaking out our way, anyway.

Consider the alternative. Kuz takes a step back.

Now what?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I made it explicitly for that purpose! I feel we get a bad rap for letting New Orleans dictate our draft future, but it's really not THAT bad.

It sucks for future pick trading, like we can't give away 2023 plus KCP for... WHOEVER... at a trade deadline or something... but the actual draft capital given away is NOT AS DIRE as the hot take media would love for people to believe.

and if NO are a playoff team too... it'd be like a difference of 18th pick and 24th pick
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Bobby Marks doesn’t see a trade happening for Andre Iguodala. He thinks a buyout happens around the end of September #TheJump #Lakers

If this is the case it’ll be time to release Daniels or Dudley.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

The third banana will be Danny Green, Bradley, or Kuzma.
One of the three should be hot for that night.
KCP, Cook, Dudley, Daniels can all shoot.
Scoring should not be a problem for the team right now.

Then it would be a backup center.
Then it would be perimeter defense.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
Interesting that people are so willing to bank on the "ifs" surrounding Kuzma. And, yes, Lou Williams, Eric Gordon, D'Angelo Russell, Eric Bledsoe, and Al Horford are ALL significantly better pieces than Kyle Kuzma especially if we're not BANKING on his projected improvement. There is no guarantee he'll actually substantially improve.

Nevertheless, the whole "third banana" thing wasn't my point at all. The point is that this team is hardly a lock. When your scenario to win the championship relies on Kyle Kuzma, a second round draft pick, taking a massive leap in year three, that's hardly a situation to "bank on". It certainly isn't an "all bets are off" type of scenario.

The point was that certain things need to land just right for this team to win. We aren't a dominating favorite. Having a few more arrows in the quiver could turn out to be very important when we're already relying on luck and things shaking out our way, anyway.

Now what?

You could say this about any other contender.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:

LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
L4L wrote:

Now what?

But that doesn’t mean L4L is incorrect
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Why do people keep calling Kuz a second rounder? Is it because they view him as a wing version of Jordan Clarkson or something?
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:

Exactly my point.

Things are wide open this year. Calculated gambles could be decisive because there are no overwhelming favorites.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Bobby Marks doesn’t see a trade happening for Andre Iguodala. He thinks a buyout happens around the end of September #TheJump #Lakers

If Iggy gets bought out and chooses us, we'll make a roster spot for him.

Doesn't seem worth thinking about until/unless it actually happens.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

The Lakers have a roster spot. If they fill it and need another they'd cut Boogie, not Daniels or Dudley.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3681, 3682, 3683 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3682 of 8560
Jump to: