OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3711, 3712, 3713 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
I think we will give the Clippers fits and would match up well with them come playoff time. The Warriors and Nuggets would give us big trouble.

The Warriors and Nuggets have no one to guard Lebron. The Clippers definitely do.

They have two guys who can make things a bit difficult on LBJ. They can take turns on LBJ and try to wear him down as he's our only true playmaking cog.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
I believe we will be very good defensively this year, even better than the Clippers.

We might be old might have lost a step, but this are very savvy vets than built there NBA rep partly because of there Def. With all these Def minded players rotation which is key to def should be very good this year). And with eraser anchor of AD, Dwight and Mcgee, there should be no easy layup for teams.

LBJ (All Def 6 times)
Dwight (All Def 5 times)
Rondo (All Def 4 times)
AD (All Def 3 times)
Avery (All Def 2 times)
Green (All Def 1 time)

Caruso, Mcgee, KCP, Dudley (all build there rep as for tough Def)

Of that group, only one we know for certain that is all NBA level defense now is AD. Green is next, but he's another year older.

Dwight and Avery are wild cards.

LBJ stopped playing consistent D a few years ago and the same for Rondo.

They have it in them to play def, will they is the question? But one thing for sure is they know how do it per the rep they made in the league. And if the right button is push and with the anchor down low we have, if we funnel to our strength, help and rotate, I can see us being very good defensively.

The backup SF forward to rest Lebron is critical.
Can't see having 8 guards and one SF. There are two guards that will not have time.
Better to make finding a defensive SF a priority at the expense of losing a couple of guards. Four deep is too much. Three deep is more than enough.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
I think we will give the Clippers fits and would match up well with them come playoff time. The Warriors and Nuggets would give us big trouble.

The Warriors and Nuggets have no one to guard Lebron. The Clippers definitely do.

They have two guys who can make things a bit difficult on LBJ. They can take turns on LBJ and try to wear him down as he's our only true playmaking cog.

Right, the goal would be to frustrate him and gum up the offense.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

The Warriors had 2 guys who played Lebron well in Iggy and Green. They are going to miss Iggy (that can not be understated). Malone had the Nuggets turn it around last season as they went from one of the worst defensive teams to one of the best. Adding Grant will help them as he does a good job against Lebron. The bigger problem is our defensive matchups. The Warriors and Nuggets use a lot of motion and spread the floor. They both have a ton of guys who can nail it from down town. We can not get in a scoring contest with these 2 teams because they can light it up.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

If you look at their head to head matchups, Lebron has tuned up the both of them with regularity.

Both on the same team is a different animal though.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
I think Kawhi and George will compliment each other very nicely, which is why Kawhi singled George out as the guy he waned to play with. I think LeBron and Davis will compliment each other well too, but since LeBron is a 4 and Davis insists on playing his position, it means for big stretches of the game neither will be in their ideal spot. It means we have to play McGee/Howard more than we want to, it changes up defensive assignments, it puts one less shooter on the floor, it creates a potential issue if we want to play our 3 best scorers together, etc.

I actually think this point has been overblown in general. The concept that we need to prevent Davis from spending a lot of time wrestling the alligators down low (as PJ used to put it) is probably a good regular season strategy. I don't believe Davis will have any issues guarding five against small ball lineups. The bigger issue is probably that we don't have enough quality wings.

Remember the hullabaloo about LBJ playing "PG?" Well, functionally on offense, LBJ is a primary ballhandler while AD will be running PnRs, posting up, spotting, etc. They do not play the same "position" in my book at all.

I think with the Clips, it'll be a bit of the first season of the Miami Heat where it was "your turn, my turn" b/w LBJ + Wade. Playmaking will be their biggest weakness.

I'm baffled as to why this is even a conversation tbh. It's like trying to make something out of nothing. Our team as issues but that's sure as hell isn't one of them.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Right, the goal would be to frustrate him and gum up the offense.

I think the Lakers will eventually need a playmaking PG through trade or buyout. Maybe someone like Dragic or similar.

Lebron can’t be the only playmaking PG. I’m not confident playing Rondo those minutes. Only remaining option is Caruso ends up taking the leap to consistent backup playmaking PG.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The NBA Board of Governors passed a stricter package of measures to enforce compliance with tampering and salary cap circumvention, league sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1175122608641232898?s=21
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Is there anything more moronic than the "Bald Mamba" moniker? Oh I know, the overboard jokes about how great he is.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Caruso's coming onto the scene last season reminds me of Kuzma. There's a lot of "wait, he's actually that skilled? he really just did like a high level starter move".. and he did that multiple times each game. skilled stuff off the dribble.
I can actually see his 3pt % dropping much like Kuz, looking at his gleague %. hopefully it still stays about average. Difference is he's a plus defender
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Caruso's coming onto the scene last season reminds me of Kuzma. There's a lot of "wait, he's actually that skilled? he really just did like a high level starter move".. and he did that multiple times each game. skilled stuff off the dribble.
I can actually see his 3pt % dropping much like Kuz, looking at his gleague %. hopefully it still stays about average. Difference is he's a plus defender

Yeah there are a lot of things he was doing off the dribble and off the ball that really made you stop and think “this guy has real talent.” Yes he was doing it when it was no longer important, but that’s similar to a high level role player like spencer dinwiddie.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Yeah there are a lot of things he was doing off the dribble and off the ball that really made you stop and think “this guy has real talent.” Yes he was doing it when it was no longer important, but that’s similar to a high level role player like spencer dinwiddie.

good name there. can see him being that good. Clarkson is another guy who came on in the 2nd half of a season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
The NBA Board of Governors passed a stricter package of measures to enforce compliance with tampering and salary cap circumvention, league sources tell ESPN.

Hilarious that WOJ reports it. He’s tamper central.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Hilarious that WOJ reports it. He’s tamper central.

Quote:
The Clippers & Nets both hit home runs in free agency so now we have Tampering Reform. But when the whole world knew for a year that LeBron was going to the Lakers....crickets.

https://twitter.com/thefrankisola/status/1175222568816500737?s=21

This is funny considering the clippers stalked Kawhi all year. They basically had season tickets in Toronto
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

good name there. can see him being that good. Clarkson is another guy who came on in the 2nd half of a season.

Oh absolutely. Clarkson was actually the first name that came to mind, but the things I saw him doing late in the season didn’t seem to be the same things he was doing the following two. So I didn’t want to use him for reference. I had such high hopes for JC the way he was cutting off ball, making extra passes, sneaking in for offensive rebounds/outback’s. Then he tried to become Lou Williams.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Oh absolutely. Clarkson was actually the first name that came to mind, but the things I saw him doing late in the season didn’t seem to be the same things he was doing the following two. So I didn’t want to use him for reference. I had such high hopes for JC the way he was cutting off ball, making extra passes, sneaking in for offensive rebounds/outback’s. Then he tried to become Lou Williams.

Yup. I thought he was a solid passer too, for a rookie PG. Then he changed his style

We kinda got rookie Clarkson back with Caruso, except add defense and an inch taller
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
I think Kawhi and George will compliment each other very nicely, which is why Kawhi singled George out as the guy he waned to play with. I think LeBron and Davis will compliment each other well too, but since LeBron is a 4 and Davis insists on playing his position, it means for big stretches of the game neither will be in their ideal spot. It means we have to play McGee/Howard more than we want to, it changes up defensive assignments, it puts one less shooter on the floor, it creates a potential issue if we want to play our 3 best scorers together, etc.

I actually think this point has been overblown in general. The concept that we need to prevent Davis from spending a lot of time wrestling the alligators down low (as PJ used to put it) is probably a good regular season strategy. I don't believe Davis will have any issues guarding five against small ball lineups. The bigger issue is probably that we don't have enough quality wings.

Remember the hullabaloo about LBJ playing "PG?" Well, functionally on offense, LBJ is a primary ballhandler while AD will be running PnRs, posting up, spotting, etc. They do not play the same "position" in my book at all.

I think with the Clips, it'll be a bit of the first season of the Miami Heat where it was "your turn, my turn" b/w LBJ + Wade. Playmaking will be their biggest weakness.

I'm baffled as to why this is even a conversation tbh. It's like trying to make something out of nothing. Our team as issues but that's sure as hell isn't one of them.

I think it’ll become clearer when seeing the difference between our starting and closing lineups.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

Guys I know there is a lot of talk here about the Clippers. But I am not that worried about the Clippers. I worry more about Denver and the other teams.

The reason is I don’t think Paul George is going to have as good as year as people think. I said before after his shoulder injury last year his stats dropped significantly. For example his fg percent went from 48 to 40 percent. And he just had another surgery over the. Summer which means who will miss some of this season.

Additionally he played with Westbrook last year who averaged about 10.8 assists per game. Definitely a facilitator. Kawhi although a great star isn’t as good as a facilitator. This will also effect PG game on the offensive end. Really I see the clippers as one superstar and another solid scorer in PG. That isn’t enough to go deep in he playoffs let alone a championship.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

We are getting closer to training camp and no one has yet to sign Carmelo Anthony, truly amazing how far this guy has fallen, at least Dwight Howard still has credibility this guy basically has none.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

Is their data to support AD is better at 5? Or Lebron is better at 4?

He won his title in CLE as a starting 3 defensively.
He won his titles in Miami going between starting 4 and 3.

AD was at 5 full time for stretches in the Pels run. I don't think he would have wanted to go to 4 if he saw he had great success with it. This was Gentry's offense which is a lot of pace and space stuff. He still wanted 4.

IMO it is far more important who we put around AD and Lebron, than it is where AD and Lebron play. AD can play multiple roles and spots and positions, as can LBJ.

The issue is the other guys. Dwight and McGee can only be effective in the paint. Green is basically a sniper/spot up shooter. Caruso, Cook, Bradley. They are mostly effective as outside shooters.

Defensively, I think it is all about the entire unit. We need to get the role players to understand their role. It is not to make it about them. It is about doing what it takes around AD/LBJ to make the unit better. It remains to be seen if the guys will do that.

But for example, if Howard is in fact serious about the stuff he's said, he should have no issue running back down on D after an O possession. If he does have an issue, it's clear it was BS. Because he's light. Same with McGee. Getting back on D with 2 bigs and Lebron up front, is the main issue with this team. If the bigs get back on D fast, as does Lebron, no reason we can not play defense.

The problem with teams with 2 bigs who start, is often the bigs are either to slow to get back on D or not willing. In AD and this group, the talent and speed is there to get back. Lets see if they actually do it. Lebron better have major motive to prove everyone what he can do on D after the way he was ripped into post injury last season. Once we set up our D though, it will be very hard to drive on us. It will be very hard to get easy shots inside. Teams will need to shoot 3s and outside shots. And that's fine. That stuff everyone does, but you still need great ball penetration. Ball penetration on us will be super difficult once the team sets up on D.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
We are getting closer to training camp and no one has yet to sign Carmelo Anthony, truly amazing how far this guy has fallen, at least Dwight Howard still has credibility this guy basically has none.

No one except for Pelinka wanted Howard, same as Cousins.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

No one except for Pelinka wanted Howard, same as Cousins.

That doesn’t really change the fact that Howard is more relevant then Melo, no one seems to like Melo and I have no idea why it’s obvious he can still give you buckets.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

AD was at 5 full time for stretches in the Pels run. I don't think he would have wanted to go to 4 if he saw he had great success with it. This was Gentry's offense which is a lot of pace and space stuff. He still wanted 4.

IMO it is far more important who we put around AD and Lebron, than it is where AD and Lebron play. AD can play multiple roles and spots and positions, as can LBJ.

The issue is the other guys. Dwight and McGee can only be effective in the paint. Green is basically a sniper/spot up shooter. Caruso, Cook, Bradley. They are mostly effective as outside shooters.

Defensively, I think it is all about the entire unit. We need to get the role players to understand their role. It is not to make it about them. It is about doing what it takes around AD/LBJ to make the unit better. It remains to be seen if the guys will do that.

But for example, if Howard is in fact serious about the stuff he's said, he should have no issue running back down on D after an O possession. If he does have an issue, it's clear it was BS. Because he's light. Same with McGee. Getting back on D with 2 bigs and Lebron up front, is the main issue with this team. If the bigs get back on D fast, as does Lebron, no reason we can not play defense.

The problem with teams with 2 bigs who start, is often the bigs are either to slow to get back on D or not willing. In AD and this group, the talent and speed is there to get back. Lets see if they actually do it. Lebron better have major motive to prove everyone what he can do on D after the way he was ripped into post injury last season. Once we set up our D though, it will be very hard to drive on us. It will be very hard to get easy shots inside. Teams will need to shoot 3s and outside shots. And that's fine. That stuff everyone does, but you still need great ball penetration. Ball penetration on us will be super difficult once the team sets up on D.

The issues are roster construction and asset allocation. If the Lakers could add another floor-spacing rim protector on the cheap so AD could play 100% of his minutes at PF, by all means they should go out and get him. But since that guy isn't out there at that price point, the Lakers are going to have to give more minutes to suboptimal, ill-fitting traditional bigs when Davis is right there capable of playing the more important position at a far superior level.

Let's say the clock is down to about 10 seconds, the team's set play was blown up, so Lebron orchestrates a 3-4 PnR with AD surrounded by Bradley, Green, and Howard. Where is Dwight on the floor? Where's his defender?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Woj says Paul George requested a trade to the Clippers to play with Kawhi days before free agency

https://twitter.com/pickuphoop/status/1175523583734534145?s=21

Woj definitely gearing up #Ballmerpayroll.

I would not be surprised if he’s the next Lee Jenkins.

Let’s see how serious the NBA is about the tampering charade. So far only the Lakers have paid...
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

The issues are roster construction and asset allocation. If the Lakers could add another floor-spacing rim protector on the cheap so AD could play 100% of his minutes at PF, by all means they should go out and get him. But since that guy isn't out there at that price point, the Lakers are going to have to give more minutes to suboptimal, ill-fitting traditional bigs when Davis is right there capable of playing the more important position at a far superior level.

Let's say the clock is down to about 10 seconds, the team's set play was blown up, so Lebron orchestrates a 3-4 PnR with AD surrounded by Bradley, Green, and Howard. Where is Dwight on the floor? Where's his defender?

If it's late in the game, Kuz is the 4, AD is the 5 and both of their defenders stay at home with them and LBJ gets a wide open lane.

If it's earlier in the game, they run a 3-4 PnR and Dwight sets a screen on Green's man at the same at the same time. If Dwight's man doesn't go with him, Green is wide open for the short corner 3. If Dwight's man chases, AD is open. I trust LBJ to make the right play.

If Dwight doesn't run the play, when his man traps AD or LeBron, whoever has the ball throws the lob and Dwight gets a dunk.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3711, 3712, 3713 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3712 of 8560
Jump to: